Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck finally beat the Ruin Sentinels. I almost hosed it up too, I thought I made the killing blow on the last one but he had a tiny sliver of health, and I'd spent the last of my stam to finish him off (so I thought), so I was mashing L1 like crazy as I watched him wind up an attack while going "nonononononoNONONONO" irl. Luckily I managed to attack before he started his attack.

gently caress yeah I'm ready for the rest, bring it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I've beaten the game several times now. That's still how every NG fight against Ruin Sentinels goes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Andrigaar posted:

I've beaten the game several times now. That's still how every NG fight against Ruin Sentinels goes.

good to know I'm having the intended :darksouls: experience

I just had the best co-op ever. Some dude named Ivan Alas was sprinting me through the Lost Bastille, pointing out every item and showing me ways to get to secret ledges and stuff, and pointing out where I could use a pharros lockstone (didn't have any) and a fragrant branch of yore (super mad I didn't have any cuz I saw the bonfire)

He got me to a new area called Sinner's something, and then I followed him into some church/bell tower thing at full speed and fell to my death

:negative:

e: oh my god it was literally right before the bonfire

He def showed me the right way to get through that part of Lost Bastille. Can't hesitate, gotta be quick and engage. I bet if it wasn't for Ivan I'd have died a bunch, as it is I got all the way back through without even needing to pop an estus. Thanks Ivan :unsmith:

e2: lmao are they serious with this fuckin crossbow guy practically on top of the bonfire

e3: so I decided to heide's tower and check around there. In the distance I saw this big red knight with a huge halberd, and he looked like bad news so I figured I'd snipe him. Didn't see a health bar but he was probably just too far away right?

I give up sniping after a while cuz I get bored and he's not dead and I figure I'm probably only doing scratch damage, might as well get in his face. Turns out i sniped the Dragonrider boss down to where I only had to hit him a couple times

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 21, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I didn't even know you could snipe the Dragonrider, that's pretty sweet. And glad to hear you're making progress on two fronts, too.

In terms of Fragrant Branches, you're always going to end up with like, just enough in each playthrough to hit all the statues. For what it's worth, the one in Lost Bastille is a good one to hit, as is the one that's near Majula.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

e2: lmao are they serious with this fuckin crossbow guy practically on top of the bonfire
There used to be three of them in Vanilla so no, they're not serious with there still being one there in Scholar, they're fuckin' with you!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also iirc he doesn't even aggro if you don't come over to him, so you don't have to worry about him if you're just heading down the ladder anyway. Don't remember ever getting shot while at the bonfire or having him chase after me.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Djeser posted:

In terms of Fragrant Branches, you're always going to end up with like, just enough in each playthrough to hit all the statues. For what it's worth, the one in Lost Bastille is a good one to hit, as is the one that's near Majula.

In Scholar, there are exactly enough Fragrant Branches to de-petrify every statue. So just pretend their whole secondary function of removing petrification buildup doesn't exist.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
their whole what now

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Dang, I didn't even know they did that. Petrify is a pretty rare status effect though, so it's not like it was ever super necessary.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's all of two places that you can be petrified at the best of times. Chalk me up as someone else who didn't even know you could use it as a hotbar item.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I haven't actually tested that it's usable, but I've read it in wikis. I could be wrong.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ratoslov posted:

I haven't actually tested that it's usable, but I've read it in wikis. I could be wrong.

If that were true, you could put the game in an unwinnable state by consuming the available branches before freeing Rosabeth.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
After staring at the plain-jane leather armor for so long I'm finding myself greedy for better fashion, but so far I've mostly found heavy armors and another Wanderer's set. Are there any good guides out there for the fashion in this game? I want to plan my wardrobe.

If it makes a difference, progress-wise I've made it to the bonfire just before No Man's Wharf by way of Heide's Tower. I'm planning on exploring the rest of the Heide's area (there's this Heide Knight wielding a loving spear that I haven't managed to kill yet, his reach and patterns are just... :argh: what an absolute fucker)

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

After staring at the plain-jane leather armor for so long I'm finding myself greedy for better fashion, but so far I've mostly found heavy armors and another Wanderer's set. Are there any good guides out there for the fashion in this game? I want to plan my wardrobe.

If it makes a difference, progress-wise I've made it to the bonfire just before No Man's Wharf by way of Heide's Tower. I'm planning on exploring the rest of the Heide's area (there's this Heide Knight wielding a loving spear that I haven't managed to kill yet, his reach and patterns are just... :argh: what an absolute fucker)

Spend souls at the armor merchant in Majula (I forget his name) and he'll get additional inventory once you've spent enough. He eventually sells some pretty okay stuff!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Walrus Pete posted:

Spend souls at the armor merchant in Majula (I forget his name) and he'll get additional inventory once you've spent enough. He eventually sells some pretty okay stuff!

Falconer chest is nice, especially if you put a couple shards in it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wear whatever looks good, my dude

Don't bother upgrading anything, it's really not necessary. Wait until you've seen everything then upgrade for NG+ with your fav combo (I never do because I still switch all the time).

There's also a lot of sets that's only semi-rare enemy drops, far more than in DS1. So I'd really go with whatever you happen to obtain and then put than on. DS2 has an insane amount of fashion, there is really no way to say "just wear X and Y together that looks great". It might have worked for DS1 because there's, like, exactly two sets that are gold and go well together, but not in DS2.

As for the Heide spear fucker: shield up until he does a quick sweep left-right, then circle around. He'll do a jump attack, miss you and you can backstab his rear end.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Walrus Pete posted:

Oh sweet, thanks! I avoided buying anything from him because all he seemed to carry was other classes' starting armors. Kinda neat that there's a basic investment mechanic (totally unspoken/undocumented, I should expect that more than I do).

Simply Simon posted:

Wear whatever looks good, my dude
I already do/that's the plan :) Right now my fashion is out of necessity/lack of options. I just wanna start lookin fly ASAP and I'm bored to tears of my leather armor.

And thanks for the tip on the spear knight! I'll grab my shield out of storage and give that strat a shot. I'm so loving sick of that guy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh sweet, thanks! I avoided buying anything from him because all he seemed to carry was other classes' starting armors. Kinda neat that there's a basic investment mechanic (totally unspoken/undocumented, I should expect that more than I do).

I already do/that's the plan :) Right now my fashion is out of necessity/lack of options. I just wanna start lookin fly ASAP and I'm bored to tears of my leather armor.

And thanks for the tip on the spear knight! I'll grab my shield out of storage and give that strat a shot. I'm so loving sick of that guy.
1) Actually a LOT of the merchants in this game (almost all of them come to think of it) will give you a gift if you spend enough money with them and then choose the "Talk" option from the menu. Also, I think Maughlin only sells one starting set (of which the armor doesn't actually look that bad, and you won't find it in the wild like in DS1 fyi), the rest is original stuff. His inventory will also update with some boss armor later!

2) Then switch it out :confused:? DS2 has a plethora of medium-heavy armors, you should be able to wear most of them if you don't go super heavy with the weapon (remember: 69.9%!). I think someone was mentioning to not stat Vitality until you're suuuper sure that you don't want to use one specific DLC ring or something but that's nonsense imho, just put some points into there for fashion. Levels are dirt cheap after all.

3) You can do that without a shield as well but if you haven't gotten a full grasp of his moves yet then I seriously don't recommend it. Heide Knights (also the sword guys) are super cunts anyway and there's no shame in having issues.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maughlin also has a dumb thing he'll give you if you pay him enough then talk to him while having no souls.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
royal swordsman's chest set, skeleton lord crown, leather pants. that's fashion.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't need to worry about switching armor around because royal swordsman's set is all I ever wear. Sometimes with drangleic leggings, though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How does anyone like the dumb helmet on that set

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Amppelix posted:

I dunno, I like how dumb it looks haha

Simply Simon posted:

2) Then switch it out :confused:? DS2 has a plethora of medium-heavy armors, you should be able to wear most of them if you don't go super heavy with the weapon (remember: 69.9%!). I think someone was mentioning to not stat Vitality until you're suuuper sure that you don't want to use one specific DLC ring or something but that's nonsense imho, just put some points into there for fashion. Levels are dirt cheap after all.

3) You can do that without a shield as well but if you haven't gotten a full grasp of his moves yet then I seriously don't recommend it. Heide Knights (also the sword guys) are super cunts anyway and there's no shame in having issues.

2 - The only armor I have that's lighter than the leather are the wanderer's set, foreigner's robes, and ... and that's it actually. That's why I was asking about fashion, so I can plan a wardrobe, but it's not really that important. I'm sure I'll find more clothes soon enough (esp after investing in some merchants)

3 - I'm actually good with the sword guys. I'm good with every enemy in that area except that one spear dude :mad: everyone else I can dance with no problem and they'll get maybe one or two hits on me max. I think it's because there's only one of those spear guys and his attack patterns are kinda weird and wonky compared to his brethren.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

The problem with this line of thought is that burning a respec just to get points out of Vitality seems like a waste.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

The problem with this line of thought is that burning a respec just to get points out of Vitality seems like a waste.
Just don't wear the loving ring

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

Just don't wear the loving ring

It's a really good ring.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ignore the ring. There’s more than enough respecs in the game that you can respec points out of weight if you decide you really want it once you get it anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

It's a really good ring.
Not if you have a bunch of Vitality

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

Not if you have a bunch of Vitality

Well yeah. That's why you keep your vitality at, like, 9. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What on earth ring are you guys talking about

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Flynn

King of Solomon posted:

Well yeah. That's why you keep your vitality at, like, 9. :v:
And you can't do that and wear all the fashion, so it's obviously impossible

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

Flynn

And you can't do that and wear all the fashion, so it's obviously impossible

I think it helps that I think most of the heavy armor is pretty ugly, so I never feel too bad about being stuck to light/medium armor.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Wait you guys don't immediately kill the boss armor merchant for his sweet +souls gear? That's all the fashion i need.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Amppelix posted:

because it's the best helmet in dark souls 2.

top tiers of medieval helmet:

#1: sallet

#2: burgonet

#3: armet

bottom tier: basinet

:witch:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What's wrong with your faaaaaace

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lemme just check my old screenshots for fashun discushun (RIP all these characters because no cloud saves and the files are on the C drive)

Spoilers for new players obv but maybe you get inspired by the sheer diversity?!?!

This was just a fashion...shoot as you can see from me not being able the wield the things

but I corrected that later and ya it owns

I swapped between bleed claws and poison caesti on this build

spoopy

the hero of the people

This IS actually a Flynn's Ring build. I was amazed myself at getting even a single rank (this is Rank 2!). Well otoh look at what I used to get there...

Fashion's also about the weapon

And I can't leave you guys without my Magnum Opus

Bonus

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fashion masterpost

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh my god, I love the fashionposts. Definitely giving me something to aspire to.

Thanks for the tips on the armor merchant! Here's my current fashion:

Much, much better imo. Also I picked up an Uchigatana and once I level my dex to 24 I'm adding that sucker to the mix cuz it looks fun. Katana builds always intrigued me in DS1 but I never actually used one, def wanna try one this time around.

So I just had a really cool experience. I killed Ornstein (that was really cool to see him again), and then went to check out the Sinner's Rise, because I remembered seeing a bunch of "Boss ahead" signs near the elevator that I didn't take. So this time I took it down. And I ended up beating the Lost Sinner on my first try, but there's a couple factors, the biggest one of course being luck. It was lucky for me that soapstone messages told me to use my torch to light those furnaces, and it was luck that a soapstone message said "humanity needed" right by the bottom of the elevator so I could summon Lucatiel. The lit sconces made such a huge difference too, after the fight I looked around the arena and realized that if I hadn't lit those furnaces, that fuckin fight would've taken place in the dark. yeah no thanks

Finding the primeval bonfire was a neat plot/worldbuilding moment. I'm very intrigued.

PS gently caress that four-armed thing, I'm glad I could cheese it through the doorway.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 24, 2018

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The cool thing about the Lost Sinner boss fight is that if you fight her in the dark, your lock-on distance is limited, so there's a mechanical benefit to lighting the torches beyond being able to see better.
Grats on defeating your first Great Old One!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Djeser posted:

The cool thing about the Lost Sinner boss fight is that if you fight her in the dark, your lock-on distance is limited, so there's a mechanical benefit to lighting the torches beyond being able to see better.
Grats on defeating your first Great Old One!

the other cool thing about the lost sinner is that she's my favorite boss to co-op since you just slap on a 100% defense shield and the red eye ring and become sellsword luet 2.0