Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Just made a smoothie with all my avb (I only got a vape last week) and I didn't do enough to mask the nastiness and I just threw it all up and wasted it rip.

I ran out of weed earlier and I just wanted some help sleeping.

Testicle Masochist fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

nickhimself posted:

I just read up on making tinctures and wow it's easy. Time to buy a bottle of everclear or 151

they don't sell either one in my state. goddamn nanny trump's america!!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mozi posted:

they don't sell either one in my state. goddamn nanny trump's america!!!

this but unironically, lmao at alcohol limitation laws

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Well, I found a bottle of Everclear that's "only" 151 proof so that's what I'm using I guess. Still better than Bacardi 151 imo. I shudder just thinking about that trash.

Edit some hours later: I took 1 ounce of Everclear that had been shaken up in some pretty dark ABV for about six to eight minutes approximately 30 minutes ago. I have some gross weed burps so far and that's about it.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 24, 2018

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I’d recommend leaving it a long time like two weeks or at least a couple days. And I used a much higher proof alcohol.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I read through the old EATING WEED IS loving AMAZING thread in tcc, and saved this page for making GREEN DRAGON

http://boards.cannabis.com/threads/the-definitive-green-dragon-revised-updated-combined.82380/

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Okay, I drank my ounce of barely shaken abvcohol at 6:35pm. At 7:50pm I started feeling a slight body tingle and less concern for just babbling on to my wife about poo poo she doesn't care about at all.

I don't know what the peak will feel like, but so far this is extremely relaxing and I feel really positive and happy.

I really wasn't expecting anything to happen due to my last couple of experiences with taking ABV in pill form or attempting to mix it in peanut butter and having both fail for various reasons (one being me throwing it in the garbage because it made me wretch).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dispensaries in SD are pakleds for thinking I'm gonna pay $70 for an eighth wtf.

One is all "ahh but this is because we are legal and we have like 15-20% taxes than end up passed on to you." Okay motherfuckers I can do simple math in my head which means even if the tax is 20% you're still charging $56 for an eighth and probably getting something like an 80-100% profit margin.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Currently the pilot program in IL is slated to end in 2020. Legalization should be on the ballot this November (I'm not 100% sure on that). But there are a number of medical patients pushing to extend or renew the medical program, and block legalization. If cannabis is legal, patients will lose coverage from their health insurance, and have to pay 20% tax instead of the 10% they're paying now.

Kinda sucks but your boy has been standing in line waiting to dip my buttermilk Biscuits in that cannabis gravy bowl if you're catching what it is that I'm meaning.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Dispensaries in SD are pakleds for thinking I'm gonna pay $70 for an eighth wtf.

One is all "ahh but this is because we are legal and we have like 15-20% taxes than end up passed on to you." Okay motherfuckers I can do simple math in my head which means even if the tax is 20% you're still charging $56 for an eighth and probably getting something like an 80-100% profit margin.

High profit margins? For an extremely in-demand product? I never!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Cone Capone posted:

High profit margins? For an extremely in-demand product? I never!

It's extremely in demand but it isn't as if the supply is lacking. If you take a look at the Cannabis Spot Index, the price for a pound of weed has been dropping like a stone for several years now meaning I bet they pay like... $10-15 per eighth for good weed? Wholesale obv.

quote:

​The simple average (non-volume weighted) price increased by $8 to $1,327 per pound, with 68% of transactions (one standard deviation) in the $573 to $2,082 per pound range. The average deal size decreased 3.4% to 5.4 pounds from 5.6 pounds. In grams, the Spot price was $2.53, and the simple average price was $2.93.

I'm just saying they're being greedy fucks jacking the price up because San Diego and I don't get why considering there are 10 other delivery services that will give me reasonable prices for the same weed. It's short term greed which is going to make you less competitive and thus bone you in the long term when you have 0 loyal customers - the ones willing to shell out $70 / eighth are looking for top top shelf so if you're not delivering that consistently every time you'll lose those ones, too.

Meanwhile ('cuz I've got my eye on a few) the dispensaries keeping their eighths at $50 or less are loving exploding in business. They can't hire enough drivers so far. The volume makes up for the smaller (but still extremely generous) profit margins. One in particular has been buying out competitors and is slowly taking over the market share here. I'm sure there are others but there's one in particular I'm aware of here in SD.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 24, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Moridin920 posted:

It's extremely in demand but it isn't as if the supply is lacking. If you take a look at the Cannabis Spot Index, the price for a pound of weed has been dropping like a stone for several years now meaning I bet they pay like... $10-15 per eighth for good weed? Wholesale obv.

I'm just saying they're being greedy fucks jacking the price up because San Diego and I don't get why considering there are 10 other delivery services that will give me reasonable prices for the same weed. It's short term greed which is going to make you less competitive and thus bone you in the long term when you have 0 loyal customers - the ones willing to shell out $70 / eighth are looking for top top shelf so if you're not delivering that consistently every time you'll lose those ones, too.

Meanwhile ('cuz I've got my eye on a few) the dispensaries keeping their eighths at $50 or less are loving exploding in business. They can't hire enough drivers so far. The volume makes up for the smaller (but still extremely generous) profit margins. One in particular has been buying out competitors and is slowly taking over the market share here.

Yeah that happened more in LA too. A dispensary I went to a month ago I was able to get an ounce for 60 bucks, I went back last week and I was seeing and 8th for about 50.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Meanwhile ('cuz I've got my eye on a few) the dispensaries keeping their eighths at $50 or less are loving exploding in business. They can't hire enough drivers so far. The volume makes up for the smaller (but still extremely generous) profit margins. One in particular has been buying out competitors and is slowly taking over the market share here. I'm sure there are others but there's one in particular I'm aware of here in SD.

overpriced businesses tend to fail when more competitive ones open around them?!?!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I keep waiting to see when the weed store bubble will burst here, the population to weed store ratio in parts of Colorado is ridiculous

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tendai posted:

I keep waiting to see when the weed store bubble will burst here, the population to weed store ratio in parts of Colorado is ridiculous

the most ridiculous place i've seen is eugene, oregon which is a pretty small town with a dispensary on almost every block in the downtown area. happened to be there on 4/20 and you could get $20 ounces pretty much everywhere

here in LA it is way more sparse and unfortunately quite a bit more expensive. with the taxes many places have prices close to NYC prices

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

An ounce for $20?! Wtf

Someday it will be legal in this poo poo state.

maybe

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

nickhimself posted:

An ounce for $20?! Wtf

Someday it will be legal in this poo poo state.

maybe

just wait until it gets federally legalized then a bunch of conservative states pass laws banning it there, essentially turning them into a "dry mj state". it's done with alcohol (more county than state I believe) so it can be done with weed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Even in Colorado there are counties that said no, but at least counties in the lower 48 are small so just, you know, drive to another one.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
The weed store I go to in Oakland has started extracting concentrates from their own flower and the leftover trim becomes the "house blend" and is sold at $50/oz, but frequently goes on sale for as little as $15. It's surprisingly good, too. It hasn't had any extraction done to it, and I get kief all over the jars I put it in. In a year or two it'll all be nearly that cheap

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

DISCO KING posted:

The weed store I go to in Oakland has started extracting concentrates from their own flower and the leftover trim becomes the "house blend" and is sold at $50/oz, but frequently goes on sale for as little as $15. It's surprisingly good, too. It hasn't had any extraction done to it, and I get kief all over the jars I put it in. In a year or two it'll all be nearly that cheap

the dream :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Reminds me of when my dealers back in the day would offer me the last shakey bag from an ounce for a major discount (like $25 for an eighth that normally cost 60) and I never understood why other people didn't jump at the opportunity. Less grinding and all the loose hairs and crystals from the whole ounce chilling in my discount bag? Yes, please!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Reminds me of when my dealers back in the day would offer me the last shakey bag from an ounce for a major discount (like $25 for an eighth that normally cost 60) and I never understood why other people didn't jump at the opportunity. Less grinding and all the loose hairs and crystals from the whole ounce chilling in my discount bag? Yes, please!

The same reason I buy bacon ends from the butcher. No one wants them but they are really cheap and sometimes you just want throw in some bacon while cooking a dish.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bonzo posted:

The same reason I buy bacon ends from the butcher. No one wants them but they are really cheap and sometimes you just want throw in some bacon while cooking a dish.

I mean I never got a solid bit of reasoning as to why nobody else wanted them, aside from maybe "I like actually breaking up/grinding up big nugs"

One time someone was like "well an eighth of shake is less weed than an eighth of nugs" and I just kind of stared at them and let my eyes glaze over until they figured it out

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if the whole situation was much sketchier you might rather buy something that is obviously 100% weed than a bag of something that appears to be mostly weed

but certainly in the modern context, yeah, shake is fine

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah if its some sketchy dealer you dont know and its 1998 or something a bag of shake is certainly much easier to cut with oregeno or some of that fake weed poo poo they sell in convenience stores, especially if you are meeting up in a poorly lit situation or if you won't have time to look/smell

otherwise an eighth of shake, if weighed out properly, is more weed than an eighth of nugs and generally a better deal

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sorry, yes, I should clarify these were trusted dealers who weighed it out in front of me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Same. I loving grind it up anyway, preferably. Plus then no giant stem!!

Like ok I appreciate a fat pretty nug as much as the next stoner but goddamn if there isn't just like a 0.4g+ sized stem sometimes

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There is deffo something satisfying about breaking up a 10-gram nug into smaller nugs, that's true.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so is anyone itt in MA? how is the whole recreational rollout going?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

so is anyone itt in MA? how is the whole recreational rollout going?

Hasn’t happened yet. Dispensaries can’t even be licensed until at minimum there are testing labs to certify products (purity, potency, etc...). There are currently no testing labs, and to the best of my knowledge, none even close to being ready. The next hurdle after that is local licensing, which is moving incredibly slowly, partially because there’s really no need to move faster, partly nimby.

The economics of west coast markets is starting to concern investors as well. None of these states are doing this particularly well, CO included. Lots of black market operation still going on. Commodity prices dropping like crazy. Troubling stuff all around.

My best guess for MA is if it happens, maybe 2020 you see a dispensary open. Maaaaaaybe late 2019. It’s a mess. There are still counties without medical dispensaries, and that was a mandate.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigFactory posted:

The economics of west coast markets is starting to concern investors as well. None of these states are doing this particularly well, CO included. Lots of black market operation still going on. Commodity prices dropping like crazy. Troubling stuff all around.

that's because, loathe as I am to say it, ridiculous restrictions and regulations from local gov'ts who as you say are NIMBY as gently caress.

Encinitas NO WEED STORES NO NO NO NO LICENSES NO NEVER THINK OF CHILDREN but they'll build another 4-6 bars no problem. Literally have heard "think of the seedy element it will attract" from pearl clutching yuppies who all smoke weed.

So yeah make it so that very few people can actually even acquire a license to operate legally and then jack on a bunch of punitive taxes because gently caress you on top of it and no wonder the black market is still going strong. And ofc the price was going to drop everyone and their grandma is growing now lol.

Big tobacco is going to come in and snap this industry up while everyone has their pants around their ankles it's a loving shame.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 1, 2018

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity
You edited it out, but the comment about packaging is 100% spot on and going to end up causing major issues with the industry, imo.

People are going to get really upset about weed container litter in their area (for good drat reason), and instead of changing the packaging law, counties are going to ban weed outright - because changing the packaging law is too complicated, they’ll say.

It’s one of the most absurd little sideshows of this movement; the users themselves think it’s loving absurd, and opponents will end up using it to say “see, look at how awful these stoners are, using wasteful packaging”, and I end up with another 80 plastic pill bottles I don’t need.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i've been to dispensaries all over the west in like four different legal states and i've never seen significant weed package litter anywhere. a few preroll tubes in eugene oregon on 4/20 of course but aside from that it really doesnt seem like a litter generating business remotely as bad as, say, mcdonalds or any convenience store

the laws in california are weird tho. like they invented a special new type of ziplock bag just for legal weed and you have to use one every single time... why? what is the point of that nonsense it works just fine without those in OR and WA. kind of feels like a policy introduced by someone with an uncle in the plastic bag business

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 1, 2018

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Moridin920 posted:

Big tobacco is going to come in and snap this industry up while everyone has their pants around their ankles it's a loving shame.

I mean, yeah, this is pretty much the inevitable future. Everyone is so happy weed is legal here in Canada now, but I mean, my dudes, this is the short wild west period. Enjoy it while it lasts, because sooner rather than later this thing is going to be taxed, co-opted, marketed, consumer oriented, and big-business-ified, and your glorious weed future is actually going to be terrible weed in low quantities at high prices.

People will pine for the days of weed being illegal.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

that's because, loathe as I am to say it, ridiculous restrictions and regulations from local gov'ts who as you say are NIMBY as gently caress.

Encinitas NO WEED STORES NO NO NO NO LICENSES NO NEVER THINK OF CHILDREN but they'll build another 4-6 bars no problem. Literally have heard "think of the seedy element it will attract" from pearl clutching yuppies who all smoke weed.

So yeah make it so that very few people can actually even acquire a license to operate legally and then jack on a bunch of punitive taxes because gently caress you on top of it and no wonder the black market is still going strong. And ofc the price was going to drop everyone and their grandma is growing now lol.

I’m not in the industry, but it sounds like particularly in Oregon investors were promised controls on cultivation to limit supply/fix prices and there’s tons of gray market cultivation going on. Or just not the controls on cultivation that were promised. The price for a pound is a quarter what it was a year+ ago.

It’s already hurting investment in other states. And probably making some itchy trigger fingers on the fed level.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I'm just looking forward to being able to grow at home

lighthugger
Mar 27, 2018

Nostalgia for Infinity

Earwicker posted:

i've been to dispensaries all over the west in like four different legal states and i've never seen significant weed package litter anywhere. a few preroll tubes in eugene oregon on 4/20 of course but aside from that it really doesnt seem like a litter generating business remotely as bad as, say, mcdonalds or any convenience store

the laws in california are weird tho. like they invented a special new type of ziplock bag just for legal weed and you have to use one every single time... why? what is the point of that nonsense it works just fine without those in OR and WA. kind of feels like a policy introduced by someone with an uncle in the plastic bag business

I definitely exaggerated in the actual litter effect of it, but from a consumer/patient/user standpoint, it’s one of the most wasteful things I’ve encountered recently - we’ve been specifically told (dispensary and recycling center both said this) that even though the bottles and bags and poo poo are recyclable, it’s not allowed, since it’s medical waste (lol what?).
Doesn’t stop me from rinsing em out and tossing them with my recycling though. And I’m sure various states handle this differently, mine just has a serious hardon for trying to legitimize pot through medical theater.

I guess my issue is more with the amount of waste it’s producing, and not the end location of that waste.
Even the weird ziplocs aren’t as bad as the pill bottles imo, though we only see them for half oz and up. And some growers use these massive pill bottles for halfs, those are the worst. Like a foot tall and 8” around, and only 1/3 filled with weed.

E: there’s also been semi-annual recalls because of poo poo like “tamper resistant sticker placed wrong”, where literally pounds of prepackaged weed get recalled because they can’t let the dispensaries reapply the stickers! So you get to deal with shortages for a few weeks.

lighthugger fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Aug 1, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

legal weed is for squares anyway

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

poverty goat posted:

legal weed is for squares anyway

Truth. Weed nerds were annoying enough but weed nerds who don’t even need to be socially savvy enough to find a dealer is next level trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gently caress off some of us have severe anxiety