Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Cosmik Debris posted:

so I've been in this thread off an on for the last couple years. Has any more significant progress been made?

Wait, progress of any kind was made at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thread activity is down because we have all broken our wrists.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Is limp wrist still on the forums?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Wait, progress of any kind was made at some point?

Yeah urban smurf cracked the code

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

waiting for the ground to defrost

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cosmik Debris posted:

so I've been in this thread off an on for the last couple years. Has any more significant progress been made?

gently caress no of course not :laffo:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

The good:
Two prominent searchers held a puzzle contest to give away an original copy.

The bad:
After 5 cities were solved, the puzzlers shut down the hunt because... reasons. They gave away the prize, but one was getting blown up with texts all night and the other... didn't like how we were diligently following his rules, I still don't get it

The funly:
I'm running a puzzle treasure hunt based on the remaining 7 cities. It starts tomorrow at 7 PM PST, with prizes, and you don't have to be there live to play (it's a premade hunt so just check it out at your leisure.)

Rules, here:
http://mildville.proboards.com/thread/480/rules-secret-treasure-hunt

Alright, this is good to go starting in under 90 minutes.
Login no longer required

Read the rules here:

Then go here:
http://mildville.proboards.com/board/44/clues

Have fun!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

After 5 cities were solved

Nothing is "solved" unless someone digs up a pot or something. Someone declaring themselves right doesn't cut it even if someone else thinks they might be right.

If people are starving, they should eat food. There I just "solved" world hunger.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Twenty Four posted:

Nothing is "solved" unless someone digs up a pot or something. Someone declaring themselves right doesn't cut it even if someone else thinks they might be right.

If people are starving, they should eat food. There I just "solved" world hunger.

No, the solutions to the new hunt aren't attempts at solving the old hunt, they're just the theme and serve as waypoints.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 29, 2018

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Okay didn't sound like that but still theres pages and pages of people talking about their "solve" and by definition solving something means results not ideas.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Twenty Four posted:

Okay didn't sound like that but still theres pages and pages of people talking about their "solve" and by definition solving something means results not ideas.

Yeah, it's the worst/best. The Travel Channel special brought out a special influx of new participants, many of which bear mental illnesses that are tragic, but entertaining to watch solve a dissociative puzzle. Then they all fight with each other over who is definitely correct.

Quest4Treasure is borked in that it isn't approving new registrations automatically, but for a while there it was a really fun shitshow to watch.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Alright, this is good to go starting in under 90 minutes.
Login no longer required

Read the rules here:

Then go here:
http://mildville.proboards.com/board/44/clues

Have fun!

Per your request, I am having fun. Stuck on 7A, but no discussion in the "Clue 7A" thread yet, so I'm hopefully out front, but it looks like three of us are close in progress. Go sabotage their efforts so we can get a goon victory here.

e: I'm hesitant to post on the mildville forums because I was behind other people posting in locked threads ahead of me which inspired me to (apparently) surpass them. I don't need to give the competition any excuse to work harder.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 31, 2018

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Paging Drunk Nerds to the thread

Still stuck on 7A. I feel I may have slighted myself because I totally brute-forced your earlier cipher clues without actually solving them and I may have lost out on the method to help on 7A. Loved the puzzles though. Once it's over I'd like to share a few highlights with you, if you'd indulge me. Some of them (one in particular) I was so close, and it took me until this morning to figure out. I made it through the rest this evening while I was watching the time span between the smug "first post" nonsense in front of me disappear and then follow behind (as I smugly point out now). As I type though, there's someone caught up to me in 7a, so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to win, but I will rest easy knowing I was a front-runner for an ever so fleeting moment at the high end clues, and had a specific one not stumped me for drat near a day I would have been sitting pretty.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Paging Drunk Nerds to the thread

Still stuck on 7A. I feel I may have slighted myself because I totally brute-forced your earlier cipher clues without actually solving them and I may have lost out on the method to help on 7A. Loved the puzzles though. Once it's over I'd like to share a few highlights with you, if you'd indulge me. Some of them (one in particular) I was so close, and it took me until this morning to figure out. I made it through the rest this evening while I was watching the time span between the smug "first post" nonsense in front of me disappear and then follow behind (as I smugly point out now). As I type though, there's someone caught up to me in 7a, so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to win, but I will rest easy knowing I was a front-runner for an ever so fleeting moment at the high end clues, and had a specific one not stumped me for drat near a day I would have been sitting pretty.

Yes, I'd love to hear!

Thanks, I'm so glad you're having fun.

The best part is, there are prizes for everyone who completes it. Still some good stuff on the board. Also you could still be the first solo player to complete it (the only winners so far were part of a team of 6 working together)

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yes, I'd love to hear!

Thanks, I'm so glad you're having fun.

The best part is, there are prizes for everyone who completes it. Still some good stuff on the board. Also you could still be the first solo player to complete it (the only winners so far were part of a team of 6 working together

I thought of the 7a solve earlier. Had to wait until my lunch break to try it and, behold. Finished it off with a few minutes to spare.

I'll take "first solo". Not too bad of a showing. Thanks again for putting the game together.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did they find the treasures?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Yes. All were eaten

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Waltzing Along posted:

Did they find the treasures?

Yeah, turns out the real treasures were the wrists that got broken giving hand jobs along the way or something.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd like to rough up the widow Priess a little, nothing major you know, just shove her around a bit, maybe a headlock.

I feel like Byron would really get the message in the next realm.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The guy from the podcast basically found the one in new orleans right?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

The guy from the podcast basically found the one in new orleans right?

How do you "basically" find one?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

What is the best shovel? (No replies from Windows 98 please.)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

How do you "basically" find one?

He dug up some plexiglass and pottery with a dingus painted on it or whatever.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
How deep are they? The easiest way to find it would be a 6ft T handle ground probe. You use them to find gas lines and poo poo. You can find anything with those and it doesnt damage the ground, works in clay etc. Just shoot it in the ground every 2 inches or so. You can feel out if its worth digging for.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DogonCrook posted:

How deep are they? The easiest way to find it would be a 6ft T handle ground probe. You use them to find gas lines and poo poo. You can find anything with those and it doesnt damage the ground, works in clay etc. Just shoot it in the ground every 2 inches or so. You can feel out if its worth digging for.

The deepest one found was 29 ft.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

BigFactory posted:

The deepest one found was 29 ft.

I thought it was a mile down

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Piggy Smalls posted:

I thought it was a mile down

No.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

He dug up some plexiglass and pottery with a dingus painted on it or whatever.

I think that counts as finding one

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

I think that counts as finding one

Yeah, dude is pretty pessimistic about all solves, including his own. But his solve totally incorporated some well known and new stuff from the verse, It was literally the best solve interpretation in years, and he found a lot of weirdly releifed baked clay, just like the original thing. He's still like "I don't know" which is understandable, but he's pulling out more and more from the dig sit that looks like thats it

Next to Montreal and New York, this was the solve that seemed most difficult, so it's good stuff.

Also another guy posted some good solve ideas for Milwaukee, and we're just hoping people dig. Interestingly, Milwaukee and New Orleans have been two of the three most hostile sites to people digging (along with NY), so good stuff is happening.

Edit: The argumet against the New Orleans find, which is supported by the finder himself (Burnstyle), is that it's on the parade route, so who knows if it's just some random mardi gras poo poo thrown out and stomped into the ground throughout the years. HOWEVER, there are a lot of crazy people working in N.O., more than any other site, and NONE of them that I know of have cited random clay pottery as an indicator, so I think it's veritable

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 24, 2018

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Should find one and construct a park monument on site with a publicly accessible sunken room with view port to the still buried cask, deliberately misattributed or misinterpreted memorial plaque to own the nerds.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
An honest assessment of where things are is my latest response at Q4T to someone who is "ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE" they know where to dig:

"Merlot over at Q4T posted:

I think your "Abraham Lincoln" looks more like Aldo Montoya, 100% exact. I've compared it to an old WWF collector's cup I have from that house show I went to in the 90's when they actually had Aldo Montoya on the merch.

And my more genuine attempt at a more constructive response:

"Merlot over at Q4T posted:

I just posted in the latest, latest, latest new thread about New York. Temped in the stylings of Drunk Nerds to just quote this into a new thread about "lets re-think the verses"

That is a serious concern I have though. I'm not willing to lock down the verses in a way so many are. My particular hang up is with verse 10 being the given NY solution. There are not ridiculous ways to reassign a few of the ambiguous verses to try some different ones in NY.

I'm not going so far as to lay down canards like whoever thinks the Houston verse is actually for NY, but I fail to get why the last couple of unsure verses are so readily "'DIS...MISSED - .Gen Hammond' - Merlot Brougham"

Certainly Octave/the exact quote from the wright bros is Image 3, etc. But we have ambiguity in Twain, even. Seems to me there are some people finding some compelling (maybe a generous term) visual connections and then trying to ram them through with what we always thought the verse was. Certain things are set in stone with verse/image matchings; Some certainly are: St Augustine for example, but I'm open for interpretation a little bit when it comes to some others that AREN'T set in stone like a Houston or St. Augustine, Roanoke, etc.

e: Try Charleston or New Orleans with the "Grey Giant" as a Confederate General, or try Montral with the "Grey Giant" being the Montreal Alouettes (The Grey Cup being the CFL equivalent of the Lombardi trophy). There are reasonable alternatives for those "replaced verses" that can easily be reassigned to another city.

Don't forget the Boer War monument in Dorchester Square, which has always been very interesting to me for a long time that I have many posts about going back years. Someone else might have used that in their recent theories but that's always been a big favourite of mine.

Tl;DR This hunt is being bombarded by a bunch of chucklefucks who, after having their advertisements interrupted by 10 minutes of oatmeal story on national tea-VEE about The Secret know more than the grizzled vets.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 25, 2018

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I still can’t get over how 1/2 the newly posted solutions say something like, “I would post images but I can’t figure out how.”

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Yes, and you have some appropriate responses.

In the mean time, send me a pic of you, but I can't do the same. Scanner is broken.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

Edit: The argumet against the New Orleans find, which is supported by the finder himself (Burnstyle), is that it's on the parade route, so who knows if it's just some random mardi gras poo poo thrown out and stomped into the ground throughout the years. HOWEVER, there are a lot of crazy people working in N.O., more than any other site, and NONE of them that I know of have cited random clay pottery as an indicator, so I think it's veritable

So...we finally have somebody who's actually dug and may have actually found a casque, but this 162 page thread is barely talking about it???

Not to be too rude, but...

Link or crosspost some drat pics and details.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Synthetic Hermit posted:

So...we finally have somebody who's actually dug and may have actually found a casque, but this 162 page thread is barely talking about it???

Listen to the podcast. The July episode.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's nothing to find anymore. It's all garbage. You are all stupid.

And I'm stupid to try to talk you out of this idiotic delusion.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's nothing to find anymore. It's all garbage. You are all stupid.

And I'm stupid to try to talk you out of this idiotic delusion.

I guess you didn’t give the podcast a good rating.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Here, go nuts. The podcast is light listening and the guys seem pleasant. One of them is poster burnstyle, if you haven't been a frequent thread reader:
http://12treasures.com/podcast/shhh-the-secret-podcast-episode-8/

And there are a few pics here for reference when they talk about chunks and bits:
https://www.facebook.com/shhhthesecretpodcast/

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

And there are a few pics here for reference when they talk about chunks and bits:
https://www.facebook.com/shhhthesecretpodcast/

Those bits don't seem to be anything identifiable. And I don't see any plexiglass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Those bits don't seem to be anything identifiable. And I don't see any plexiglass?

Don't ask me, I just work here.