Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As long as you watch out for pooling on flat surfaces that will leave tide marks you can really go to town with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Hmm. I already did a wash, literally the one mentioned. I was worried the residue it left on the higher up surfaces and what seemed like me to be too much pooling in the nooks would be too much so I cleaned off a lot of it with a large soak-brush. How much does that stuff "dry down" and reduce? Was I being too paranoid?

Again, thank you for the warm response. It's really encouraging :)

Take a look at this video from Warhammer TV. It's an in-depth painting tutorial for the Lord of Contagion which is basically just the HQ unit of the guys you painted and uses the exact same colour scheme. The time-code I linked you to is just before they start washing things, and should give you a good idea of how much to put on and what it looks like once done. They do really nice tutorials.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

DiHK posted:

I'm not a fan of any wood in the 40k universe. Wood is natural, the Imperium is anything but. Even in the pulp novels wood is a prized antique.

What about the Skitarii weapons? It looks to me like the ranger rifles are meant to be wood.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Luminaflare posted:

What about the Skitarii weapons? It looks to me like the ranger rifles are meant to be wood.

Well, in their case it fits with their steampunk aesthetic.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Looking for a bit of input while I'm only at base colours.
Is there too much green on the gun?

Other thoughts and/or suggestions are of course welcome.

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Groetgaffel posted:

Looking for a bit of input while I'm only at base colours.
Is there too much green on the gun?

Other thoughts and/or suggestions are of course welcome.

I think so? Maybe pick out panels in/add a stripe of the blue that you're using for the armour?

Looking good though.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Ahhjh. Totally getting close!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Trenchdeep posted:

I think so? Maybe pick out panels in/add a stripe of the blue that you're using for the armour?

Looking good though.

I think what I'm going to do is do the entire middle of the gun, including the handle, metal, and leave mostly the side panels and ammo box green.
And then do the metal on the gun darker so that it doesn't blend together with the metal arms, just like I did with my Straken.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
After doing some more painting, basing, touching up, and shading. the Death Guard are (pretty much) complete!

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Quickly threw some red on the bolter of another one I'm working on at the moment, I was expecting it to look at bit tacky but actually looks pretty cool once the highlights are on.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Red weapons against black armour are nice. It’s the official Deathwatch colour scheme.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

After doing some more painting, basing, touching up, and shading. the Death Guard are (pretty much) complete!

I really like the flesh tone you used. Meaty.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Count_Brass posted:

Quickly threw some red on the bolter of another one I'm working on at the moment, I was expecting it to look at bit tacky but actually looks pretty cool once the highlights are on.

Looks great, your painting is very neat. You can always go for a less saturated red but I really like the way it pops as is, though I am also painting a lot of Deathwatch so my scheme is similar.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Got that Soviet Space AK bakelite feel.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That red looks great.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Max Wilco posted:

:vomarine:
Well done.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I painted most of these a long time ago (the king and queen are new), but I mentioned liking ratfolk. Here's all my ratfolk I have:

Zoom:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sporkie posted:

I really like the flesh tone you used. Meaty.

I just used the Rakarth Flesh color that came with the Death Guard paint kit. I don't really get why they don't include the Carroburg Crimson wash with the set, since that's what the display versions uses.

Aniodia posted:

:vomarine:
Well done.

I have to say that after finishing these, I feel torn on how I feel about mini painting so far. On one hand, doing these Death Guard was a little stressful and obnoxious at times, and looking at the final result, there's a lot I still have issue with. Even after touching up, I realize that I missed a bunch of places that have errant paint, and I either forgot to apply wash in some places, or didn't apply enough. The pustules I tried mixing paint together to get a gross-looking color, but from watching someone's else video, I might have been better served painting them white, then yellow over it. I also still feel like I can't thin paint worth a drat, since more than few areas look bumpy and ugly looking

At the same time, I still have a desire to do more, since I've had inspiration for projects after watching videos of people painting minis and terrain on YouTube. The one that really got me motivated was the idea to take a bunch of broken or recycled PC parts or cases, and use it to build scenery for a Space Hulk-style diorama with Terminators and Genestealers. Another was to try to paint Space Marines from various different chapters, seeing as how cheap the bog-standard Space Marine minis seem to be. I'm also glad to see complements on it, even if I think it's not that great :unsmith: (though I am really happy with how the one with the visor came out, and the Plague Champion looks pretty good).

Also, I'm happy to see there is an actual Space Marine emote. :vomarine:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I made a base I'm pretty happy with.

Well, that's my story, thanks for listening.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, my first Killteam model is built and ready to be primed. My Intersessor SGT.

Like I said in the 40K thread, the Intercessor spur does not include a Power Sword, so I had to take one from the Tactical Marine spur. Just snip the hand off a left arm and boom, it fits pretty well. also, with it already primed, the head actually looks good. The piece I cut so the head fits on the model blends really well I think.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Max Wilco posted:

I just used the Rakarth Flesh color that came with the Death Guard paint kit. I don't really get why they don't include the Carroburg Crimson wash with the set, since that's what the display versions uses.

I have to say that after finishing these, I feel torn on how I feel about mini painting so far. On one hand, doing these Death Guard was a little stressful and obnoxious at times, and looking at the final result, there's a lot I still have issue with. Even after touching up, I realize that I missed a bunch of places that have errant paint, and I either forgot to apply wash in some places, or didn't apply enough. The pustules I tried mixing paint together to get a gross-looking color, but from watching someone's else video, I might have been better served painting them white, then yellow over it. I also still feel like I can't thin paint worth a drat, since more than few areas look bumpy and ugly looking

At the same time, I still have a desire to do more, since I've had inspiration for projects after watching videos of people painting minis and terrain on YouTube. The one that really got me motivated was the idea to take a bunch of broken or recycled PC parts or cases, and use it to build scenery for a Space Hulk-style diorama with Terminators and Genestealers. Another was to try to paint Space Marines from various different chapters, seeing as how cheap the bog-standard Space Marine minis seem to be. I'm also glad to see complements on it, even if I think it's not that great :unsmith: (though I am really happy with how the one with the visor came out, and the Plague Champion looks pretty good).

Don't worry, the feeling's normal. I spent half an hour last night debating whether or not to do eyes on a dude and it was more stressful than it had any right to be (humble brag though, dude has eyes now!). Other things like washes, errant paint, and thinning takes time to get a hand at - I'm still fairly rubbish at them myself. As for the pustules, that's always tricky to pull off. I myself mostly use TAP Disgusting Slime (the equivalent of GW's nurgle's rot, without a nerd-shaming title and the Citadel price tag) for them these days but I've had good luck in layering white, then a very thin pink layer, then building yellow to cream coming to a head with a nasty little red, brown or black point.

If you keep at it, you'll get there. Once you do a few more dudes and settle into the groove completely, I'd recommend investing in a good quality magnifying headset. It really helps cut down on errant paint and missed detail. A lot of that is down to brush control still, but one of the advantages of magnification is you can actually see the brush end doing its thing in some detail, letting you spot where you might have a bad habit of leaning too flat in or a stray hair complicating the issue. As it stands, my honest opinion is that your dudes are definitely a little rough around the edges, but for a newbie, they're actually in pretty good shape - the paint isn't as thick as house paint, they're recognizable as what they are, the visual palettes are clear, and some of the bone is actually quite nicely done in how it shades into a disgusting rot brown. There's a world of technique for you to work your way into yet, as well as a ludicrously large paint collection to assemble (trust me - you will end up with too many paints. You go 'oh, this reaper triad of brown will do what I need for browns, right?' but next thing you know you also have two leather tones because you got tired of mixing them and a brown hair drybrush paint) but everyone's first few models are rough and ready.

Duncan Rhodes, the dude who does all the GW painting videos and is a justly deserved sainted figure of model painting, started out here:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I have to say that after finishing these, I feel torn on how I feel about mini painting so far.
While I haven't been doing this nearly as long (or as well) as some of the veterans in here, I have been painting on and off for almost a decade. I still get those kinds of feelings occasionally.

Everyone's motivation is different, and it comes and goes. There's been times where I haven't even touched a brush in half a year, and on the other hand there's days like today. I wasn't going to paint at all, sat down at my desk to watch some Netflix, and before I even realised what I was doing I reached for paint pots and brushes and started painting.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Say, what would you all recommend for making brown or brunette hair?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Depends on the kind of brown. I start out with MSP Blackened Brown, lightening it up with yellow (the TAP Babe Blonde is actually quite good for this) to a sort of mouse brown, and then darken with TAP's red wash and strong tone for a lighter brown hair. For darker brown, I lighten it less and use a mix of dark and strong tone to wash.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Gonna clarify a little, in that any sort of plague marine that makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little is perfectly fine. Hell, given that's it's a whole Nurgle-y army, I'd be surprised if you didn't go for the gross.

Also, honest opinion, check out the /wip/ thread over on 4chan's /tg/. There's a pdf floating around every so often of a dude painting up a bunch of Nurgle daemons just using washes. As much as I know about the setting and dudes and whatnot, I'm more into Warhammer Fantasy than 40k, so I didn't think to grab it the last time it made it's rounds in the thread, but I'm sure an anon over there still has it if you ask. Really cool to see what can be done without using any "real" paints, and pretty helpful if you're gonna stick to gross, Nurgle-y poo poo.

Seconding the magnifying headset, especially if you're starting to get on the older side of life and/or your eyes just naturally suck (like mine do) and you need glasses for everyday life. Being able to see is always a pretty rad thing, and being able to see while also doing things is twice as rad (at least). Plus, most of those doodads tend to also come with built-in lights, so you don't have to worry as much about proper lighting. Hell, even one of those stands with a big-rear end magnifying glass and two little alligator clips that are usually used for electronics wouldn't be a bad pickup, either.

Also, I did a thing.

These guys are Eureka Miniatures' "Elf Reavers with Axes", or as I'm using them, proxy White Lions of Chrace for my Warmaster army. Still gotta put the basecoat on the axe handles, and highlight everything, but they're coming along. Wish I could get better pictures, but a) my iphone camera is dildos, b) my current light (while nice for painting) blows out any sort of pictures and c) I'm just too cheap and lazy to fix these problems right now

Now, I just need some more time off from work and maybe I can get started on the rest of my command

and the remainder of my army.

that's 6 chariots, 4 repeating bolt throwers, 1 unit of reavers, 3 silver helms units, 1 Dragon Princes unit, 5 archer units, 1 lothern sea guard kitbash unit, 3 spearmen units, 1 unit of swordmasters, 1 unit of phoenix guard, a dude on an eagle and another on a dragon.

I don't have a problem, what are you talking about

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
40k xpost:

Major Spag posted:

Rush job vanguard vets:

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

Rakarth is a great tone in general, lots of uses even for not fleshy bits. One of my favorites. And is just so lovely and meaty on actual meaty bits.

Like I said earlier, Death Guard are obnoxious to paint. Lots of fun in the end, but there's always moments every time I think I'm done with one I look back and realize I missed something. Sometimes it's small like 'oh, I missed that tube' to a few times of 'oh crap, I completely missed dry-brushing and washing the backpack'. They have so many details it's easy to get distracted into thinking you're done, only to come back and realize you missed something. I both love and hate them for that. As long as you're happy in the end, even with bits you may have missed, that's the important thing. And it's always satisfying to look at a model and go 'hey, I did a thing and it looks pretty neat'.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Painted up an evil tree for AoS. It’s nice to finally have a use for all this basing and scenery bits I’ve had sitting around in a closet with nothing to use it on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

In awe at the size of these lads.

Absolute Imperial Unit.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

BigRed0427 posted:

I mean, it depends on recessive/dominant alleles but for sure start by finding a partner with brown hair.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

BigRed0427 posted:

Find a brown that's reasonably close to the end result you're after (e.g. Mournfang for Dark brown, Steel Legion Drab for mousy brown). Wash with Agrax Earthshade, Highlight/Layer/Drybrush with a lighter brown (e.g. Tallarn Sand etc..) Push it further with a finer layer of something lighter. If it goes to light, wash it again with Agrax.

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, it depends on recessive/dominant alleles but for sure start by finding a partner with brown hair.

:downsrim:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

richyp posted:

Find a brown that's reasonably close to the end result you're after (e.g. Mournfang for Dark brown, Steel Legion Drab for mousy brown). Wash with Agrax Earthshade, Highlight/Layer/Drybrush with a lighter brown (e.g. Tallarn Sand etc..) Push it further with a finer layer of something lighter. If it goes to light, wash it again with Agrax.

:downsrim:

You go to joke with the set-up you have, not the set-up you might wish you had.

:tipshat:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Schadenboner posted:

You go to joke with the set-up you have, not the set-up you might wish you had.

:tipshat:

That's what she said...

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
We've got a lot of the airbrush stuff covered, except for booths. Can some people link to what theyre using? I thought I might have had enough stuff around to make one, but without a box fan, I'm probably better off just buying one.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I imagine many of us use this: https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Portable-Lighting-Extension/dp/B00NLQ019A

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah aren't many options in airbrush booths. There's cheapo ones like the Master one, and then the next step up tend to be quite expensive.

I went with the Master one, then added on another unit beside it, and then added a custom shroud around it since I do garage-kit stuff that can be quite large. If all you're doing is minis, or 1/35 scale modeling, a single Master booth is more than enough though.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's cool, and so clean! I'll probably just be doing minis in the booth. I will probably bring my airbrush setup upto the garage to lay the patterns on my kids pedal car this fall.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

That's the one I use. I paid extra for the unit with the light bar, and wish I hadn't it doesn't fit correctly and has never worked. Other than that the hood works fine.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Bucnasti posted:

That's the one I use. I paid extra for the unit with the light bar, and wish I hadn't it doesn't fit correctly and has never worked. Other than that the hood works fine.

I bought a spool of led strips and taped several rows in my booth with some switches. Worked great and cost like 10 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Aniodia posted:

Gonna clarify a little, in that any sort of plague marine that makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little is perfectly fine. Hell, given that's it's a whole Nurgle-y army, I'd be surprised if you didn't go for the gross.

Also, honest opinion, check out the /wip/ thread over on 4chan's /tg/. There's a pdf floating around every so often of a dude painting up a bunch of Nurgle daemons just using washes. As much as I know about the setting and dudes and whatnot, I'm more into Warhammer Fantasy than 40k, so I didn't think to grab it the last time it made it's rounds in the thread, but I'm sure an anon over there still has it if you ask. Really cool to see what can be done without using any "real" paints, and pretty helpful if you're gonna stick to gross, Nurgle-y poo poo.

Seconding the magnifying headset, especially if you're starting to get on the older side of life and/or your eyes just naturally suck (like mine do) and you need glasses for everyday life. Being able to see is always a pretty rad thing, and being able to see while also doing things is twice as rad (at least). Plus, most of those doodads tend to also come with built-in lights, so you don't have to worry as much about proper lighting. Hell, even one of those stands with a big-rear end magnifying glass and two little alligator clips that are usually used for electronics wouldn't be a bad pickup, either.

I actually did get ahold of magnifying stand, though I haven't really used it that much.

So far, when it come to getting minute details, what works for me so far to hold it close to my chest and focus on it. If anything, it would help if I wore my glasses.

I would like to venture into trying to paint some Warhammer Fantasy stuff too. Playing Total Warhammer and failing playing as dwarves really endeared them to me, and I thought it would be cool to do Thunders or Slayer. However, it seems like dwarves are pretty difficult (I'm still worried about painting anything with an actual face.) I will keep it in mind to try and seek out that PDF on /tg/.

Sporkie posted:

Rakarth is a great tone in general, lots of uses even for not fleshy bits. One of my favorites. And is just so lovely and meaty on actual meaty bits.

Like I said earlier, Death Guard are obnoxious to paint. Lots of fun in the end, but there's always moments every time I think I'm done with one I look back and realize I missed something. Sometimes it's small like 'oh, I missed that tube' to a few times of 'oh crap, I completely missed dry-brushing and washing the backpack'. They have so many details it's easy to get distracted into thinking you're done, only to come back and realize you missed something. I both love and hate them for that. As long as you're happy in the end, even with bits you may have missed, that's the important thing. And it's always satisfying to look at a model and go 'hey, I did a thing and it looks pretty neat'.

Yeah, I think I might look to try and paint something a bit less detailed next time.

Then again, I might just forget that and try painting some orks.
:orks101:WAAAGH!