Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Ok, if someone actually decides to write the story, can you title it "Toke Parp Rub" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

TheAgent posted:

and to my only living heir, I bequeath my collection of star citizen starships pre-pre-pre alpha access on my pre-order

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sample_text posted:

"Hey boss, light me a blunt while I explain to this rear end in a top hat why he's wrong about videogames and/or gently caress."

.......I miss pot.

I'm literally seeing this starting to come together. Maybe a new Clerks movie?

monkeytek posted:

I can only have sex when Citizens are nearby, please don't kink-shame.

It's alright, you can tell us how much u r in 4, commando. We're good here. :)

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The Titanic posted:

I'm literally seeing this starting to come together. Maybe a new Clerks movie?

It's alright, you can tell us how much u r in 4, commando. We're good here. :)

I keep trying but keep clipping through the floor before completion :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Erris is the kind of weak-spined sissy-child that would change his tune real loving quick if he ever had a conversation with one of these "terrible people" and I'm not even talking about like some dumb "talk to me in real life not across the galaxy" bullshit. He'd fold faster than CIG's shell companies in the bankruptcy implosion and backtrack so hard he'd leave a dust-cloud in the shape of a cowering simp if he even had to talk in a voice chat with someone who could articulate in a clear and polite manner their reasoning for their refund and their dislike of being labelled a miscreant. The man has the resolve of jello.

You don't even need to talk to him. Erris folded instantly when I confronted him for calling me a liar about those Sandi messages, and all I did was send him an email.

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018
That's the ambivalent thing with backers and shills.
On one hand, they obviously suffer from deep psychological issues and so we should rather display understanding and compassion toward them, they're mentally crippled after all.
On the other hand, they're always obnoxious and insufferable, leading us to the point where it's not possible anymore to be nice with them.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

TheSickeningTruth posted:

That's the ambivalent thing with backers and shills.
On one hand, they obviously suffer from deep psychological issues and so we should rather display understanding and compassion toward them, they're mentally crippled after all.
On the other hand, they're always obnoxious and insufferable, leading us to the point where it's not possible anymore to be nice with them.

Sample_text posted:

I think it's worth mentioning , again, that the remaining "hardcore" SC backers are literally the 10% crazies you find in most video-game fanbases.
I'm pretty sure the average SC backer has mentally filed his Kickstarter money under "failed kickstarters" section. Most of them don't care any more. gently caress, I've even heard of Jesse Cox from TB's podcast say this exact same thing.
They just don't care anymore.

The samfeez's , the Starloops, the Montoya's , they are the 10%.
I've made this comparison in one of my initial posts, but these are the equivalent of the Sonic the Hedgehog fans who say:

"My Blonic the Sledge-dog foot-fetish fanfic is art."

....while the vast majority are , you know, kids.... who play a kids game. Or nostalgic 30 somethings who grew up and remember it in the same line with the Wonder Twins or Thundercats.
None of these people are actually worth arguing with.

EDIT: Not to mention the obvious indirect-shills. I've seen people defend Bungee's stealth-nerfing of Destiny 2 XP .... TWICE as "not a big deal, get over it you baby, game's still good (like favourite sub-scrub)"

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Pixelate posted:

Holy crap, they really do take Elite's worst mistakes and triple them don't they. How is making travel through dead space that lengthy a good thing? Does the mopping tech really react that badly with the planetary tech?

Personally, I think the ponderous travel times are specifically intended to create the illusion of the staggering scale of Chris Roberts’ unimicroverse. The need is far greater given that the scale itself (in meaningful terms) has been so dramatically reduced.

Here is Roberts showing off the 8 minute travel time to Hurston.

Wow! Such an incredible massive distance! The madman has done it! And look, they’ve improved the particle effects from the last re-do of the re-do we got four re-dos ago!

Yet still, in meaningful terms, Roberts is showing off a future vision still far short of the Gamescom 2016 definition of Stanton proper. He is therefore sentencing players to ensure 8 minutes of idle, disengaged non-play time playtime to prove to them this is indeed the biggest game ever imagined or attempted by man.

The long distances also give players a sense of absolute nothingness so that when they encounter something after the long trip, they’ll be relieved and it will feel like they’ve taken a consequential journey and wow, was it ever worth it. After all that nothingness, now I have something and let me at it!

Yet we see this has been Roberts approach with every major demo since summer 2016. The first viewing is seasoned and energized by a roaring crowd and Roberts narrating the dream. Yet the second viewing, when one breaks it down into the gameplay part vs the stage presentation part, it becomes clearer how much it really doesn’t have to offer to a gamer.

The Squadron slice, Gamescom 2016, CitizenCon 2016, Gamescom 2017, CitizenCon 2017 all tell players — you will sit and watch more than play this thing. And you will be amazed at my cinematic vision. The visible parts of a game are no more indicative of its soul than the human skin is to a person’s. The invisible parts are where the gaming experience exists but Roberts has never had time for that because superficialties are his true love.

Flight model turns to crap.

“Who cares?”

AI is barely functional in year 6.

“No big deal!”

Core mechanics of the Kickstarter game are mostly missing after nine figures spent.

“You don’t understand— I’m not designing games that you play, I’m designing games you sit and watch — aren’t you amazed yet?”

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Do you think these stupid fucks realize the memers and the content creators are often the same people in Skyrim? Like no modder's ever enjoyed stupid floating horses and backwards dragons.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

monkeytek posted:

I can only have sex when Citizens are nearby, please don't kink-shame.

I find most Citizens that I've met smelt exactly like sex repellant, a heady mix of damp dead dog, sweaty feet, and unwashed armpit amplified by a hit of grim yeasty smegma.

I can tell why it's not to everyones liking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sample_text posted:

There are so many procedurally generated truck stops , you might travel your entire life without reaching Hurston. The odds are like.....

Bigger ships having more fuel to make further jumps seems like atmosphere logic being applied to space. Why can't the small ships jump further?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You don't even need to talk to him. Erris folded instantly when I confronted him for calling me a liar about those Sandi messages, and all I did was send him an email.

They're such a bunch of origami boys.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Am I the only one who reads "Stanton" as "Scranton" in Store Citizer communiques?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Am I the only one who reads "Stanton" as "Scranton" in Store Citizer communiques?

Roberts is Michael Scott, Lando is Jim, Lesnick is Dwight

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Bigger ships having more fuel to make further jumps seems like atmosphere logic being applied to space. Why can't the small ships jump further?

A simple glance at that document where they break down how fuel and refueling will work will give you your answer: nobody at CIG has any loving idea how to make a video game fun

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

nobody at CIG has any loving idea how to make a video game

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

A simple glance at that document where they break down how fuel and refueling will work will give you your answer: nobody at CIG has any loving idea how to make a video game fun

They should just make the players have to fill out actual forms in game for literally everything, they only thing they'd enjoy more is if CIG made its own Reddit inside the game so they could sit in their ships complaining about Derek Smart.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

They should just make the players have to fill out actual forms in game for literally everything...

That’s practically the plan.

Listen in amazement at the riveting bureaucratic hustle Chris Roberts envisions in the world’s first Quadruple A game!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

G0RF posted:

That’s practically the plan.

Listen in amazement at the riveting bureaucratic hustle Chris Roberts envisions in the world’s first Quadruple A game!

Damnit G0RF you remind me all my insulting ideas are reality.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and it looks plain enough that you don't really look at it twice since your mind just uses its massive auto correct to say "I know this word skip to the next".

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Caught up with the thread. My kids attended their first sports day and Star Citizen isn't even out yet. How time flies!

Also, if not for some kind of bias, my guess is that most Star Citizen backers fit that body build in Morphix's shot and are all about their euphoric spaceship dreams while taking mushrooms.

Then pledging for the upcoming spaceship cause that gives them their next kick.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I watched that video of the trip and what i found most noticeable is unlike footage from elite: dangerous, there aren't interesting menus or text or stats or anything meaningful to navigate while flying places. its a shame the graphics look so fuckin good and stuff because every time i watch a video like that i find myself temporarily taken in by the potential awesomeness of landing freelancer style on a moon with a bunch of cities and stuff you can fly around and see but then i remember that procedural generation is boring as hell

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Damnit G0RF you remind me all my insulting ideas are reality.

We can not easily satirize that which parodies itself - :).

Chris, for once, has beaten the cynics to the punch(line.)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
punchlines above their weight

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

AlbieQuirky posted:

punchlines above their weight

:lol:

Punchlines above their wait.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I only Erris-watched one time and it was one of those times when CIG did something or other that was a Bad Thing leading to a therapeutic outburst of extremely mild criticism. All the other neckbeards on the show were like, "CIG shouldn't have done the Bad Thing." Or, "The Bad Thing illustrates all that's wrong with CIG's marketing." Or, "Star Citizen is in such an incomplete state that CIG shouldn't have even considered doing the Bad Thing until there's an actual game to play." Basically almost things regular people might say. But as this onslaught was going on, Erris was literally squirming like he had bugs under his skin and rubbing his face and I swear I saw him start panting. The dude looked like he was about to start weeping. Erris is a worm, I think.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

im going to buy some expensive ships and then infiltrate TEST squadron and report on their private conversations to the goon covert ops discord

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Personally, I think the ponderous travel times are specifically intended to create the illusion of the staggering scale of Chris Roberts’ unimicroverse. The need is far greater given that the scale itself (in meaningful terms) has been so dramatically reduced.

Here is Roberts showing off the 8 minute travel time to Hurston.

Wow! Such an incredible massive distance! The madman has done it! And look, they’ve improved the particle effects from the last re-do of the re-do we got four re-dos ago!

After 200 or so hours of Warframe, I can say that having navigation / teleport nodes is the way to go. Aside from a well done loading screen, you shouldn't ransom players into endless hours of doing nothing. Elite needs some kind of rework for its navigation, yes its a simulator, but doing absolutely nothing for 2 hours with the sense of progression an illusion of hopping into a different "room" / star system, its lacking a ton.

Here's what Warframe does really well, from a gameplay point of view.
- You start off with nothing, know nothing, both in game and in reality.
- You begin to understand movement, shooting. WTF is this story.
- You begin to understand the story (holy poo poo), and movement and shooting become second nature.
- You begin to realize where to get resources and start farming them. Build stuff, lots of stuff.
- You take on missions to scan stuff for a codex, Scanning is manual.
- You now automatically accumulate materials without having to scavenge and source. Can build new things without having to specifically gather materials.
- You get a new shiny drone thing that automatically scans everything for you.

See overtime, even if the core game loop remains the same, other factors are gradually shifting, many things which are manual for newbies are automated for you, the Tenno who remembered his ways. My focus is still on obliterating the entire map with my Warframes. In Elite however, this gradual shift of non priority events is non existent. The powershift doesn't happen. Even if you own the biggest baddest ship, yes the core gameplay remains, you do blow stuff up faster but that doesn't mean anything when it takes you 90% of your time played to arrive at said location to blow up things 100% faster. You spend less time doing what you love, blowing stuff up / checking out new planets / systems and more time in transition to those events, thats just bad.

EVE on the other hand does it well because you'll never know when the suicide squad jumps you and you die even in hisec. I've been apart of these squads and they're good and fun.

Now, Star Citizen is seemingly deadly and more visceral than all games we understand combined. There is no core game loop to explore or even understand at this point. Aside from the fetch quests and delivery? quests, there isn't much to go on to how one will progress in Star Citizen, buying more ships is the only true progress. How does "endgame" look like? Where does it go from there? Is endgame = enslaving 12 players on your ship so everything is "automated" for you, the one true player. While other players do the tasks you used to do because of the amount pledged? Lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Awesome! posted:

im going to buy some expensive ships and then infiltrate TEST squadron and report on their private conversations to the goon covert ops discord

Just pretend you have the space ships , it's what the rest of their guild does anyways

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

awox a test cap ship and be the thread hero

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

G0RF posted:

Vast Tracts of Land (Claims and houses)

Not just the houses and land, think of all the furniture and decorations they can sell! Customized wankpods!

They could make a mobile app where you can decorate your SpaceHouse™ or even modify your ship!

CIG'll promise that what you change on the app will change your house or ship in-game (but it'll happen "in the next update"). You can buy the custom furniture for your 600i and buy it in-app. Custom furniture arrangements (that don't appear in-game yet, but they will soon, and boy howdy will they be awesome.

CIG owes me money if when they do this.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I saw a Citizen at a minor league ball game on Sunday so I did the proper thing and ignored him because that is the proper course of action.

Also Scranton has a Houdini museum and is a fun place to get drunk and spend the night.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

AlbieQuirky posted:

I always see that too.

Also whenever I see Daymar I think:

Daymar! AhhAAAahhhh!
Fighter of the nightmar! AhhAAAahhh!

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Awesome! posted:

you should watch out, something about staring into the mouth of abyss ive heard once, i don't think any man or woman or even chinaman can stand those levels of snark without being deeply broken by them

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

After 200 or so hours of Warframe, I can say that having navigation / teleport nodes is the way to go. Aside from a well done loading screen, you shouldn't ransom players into endless hours of doing nothing. Elite needs some kind of rework for its navigation, yes its a simulator, but doing absolutely nothing for 2 hours with the sense of progression an illusion of hopping into a different "room" / star system, its lacking a ton.

Here's what Warframe does really well, from a gameplay point of view.
- You start off with nothing, know nothing, both in game and in reality.
- You begin to understand movement, shooting. WTF is this story.
- You begin to understand the story (holy poo poo), and movement and shooting become second nature.
- You begin to realize where to get resources and start farming them. Build stuff, lots of stuff.
- You take on missions to scan stuff for a codex, Scanning is manual.
- You now automatically accumulate materials without having to scavenge and source. Can build new things without having to specifically gather materials.
- You get a new shiny drone thing that automatically scans everything for you.

See overtime, even if the core game loop remains the same, other factors are gradually shifting, many things which are manual for newbies are automated for you, the Tenno who remembered his ways. My focus is still on obliterating the entire map with my Warframes. In Elite however, this gradual shift of non priority events is non existent. The powershift doesn't happen. Even if you own the biggest baddest ship, yes the core gameplay remains, you do blow stuff up faster but that doesn't mean anything when it takes you 90% of your time played to arrive at said location to blow up things 100% faster. You spend less time doing what you love, blowing stuff up / checking out new planets / systems and more time in transition to those events, thats just bad.

EVE on the other hand does it well because you'll never know when the suicide squad jumps you and you die even in hisec. I've been apart of these squads and they're good and fun.

Now, Star Citizen is seemingly deadly and more visceral than all games we understand combined. There is no core game loop to explore or even understand at this point. Aside from the fetch quests and delivery? quests, there isn't much to go on to how one will progress in Star Citizen, buying more ships is the only true progress. How does "endgame" look like? Where does it go from there? Is endgame = enslaving 12 players on your ship so everything is "automated" for you, the one true player. While other players do the tasks you used to do because of the amount pledged? Lol

Look, it is not that hard, just go play super metroid. As you get stronger you also get faster, so you can ignore weaklings an go thru the older areas in a blink of an eye. It's not rocket science so, when games do the bullshit Elite does, it's a deliberate choice that a very special kind of player appreciates.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Morphix posted:

it's actually pretty freeing and wonderful, I was pumped because I mostly there to job network and my possible future boss and I bonded over me giving him poo poo about being johny-hold-a-lit-joint while he was rolling another and than later having a friendly chat about rolling techniques and how he had heard all about me from our mutual friend.

Did this boss guy uh and argh alot?
Did he wave his hands around like Stan from Monkey Island?
Was he there with his wife who is not his wife but is his wife who reminded you of Skeletor?
Did he have an investment opportunity for you that involved highly fidelitous jpegs on his phone?
Whenever he was about did you get the feeling their was a Warlord hiding nearby, watching, spreading FUD?
When you asked him if he felt like a beer, did you think it was just the shrooms when this was his reply?
Have you been missing your wallet since this party?

You may have been Crobbers. (No Refunds!)

TheSickeningTruth
Jul 22, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

They could make a mobile app where you can decorate your SpaceHouse™ or even modify your ship!

Lol no they can't.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I always see that too.

Also whenever I see Daymar I think:

Daymar! AhhAAAahhhh!
Fighter of the nightmar! AhhAAAahhh!

This is the best thing to think.

I saw it on reddit somewhere and lost my coffee out my nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

AlbieQuirky posted:

You are not alone. I always think of Trixie, the Giraffe-necked girl from Scranton in Sam and Max Hit The Road.

Funny, but at the same time annoying.