Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I always forget about windows 8 because it's not even a viable option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this os sounds like a real pos

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

breaking all 16-bit apps in the process

Oh yeah, wouldn't want to break all those mission-critical 16 bit apps. loling @ the world of corporate computing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mean, that's actually a thing, but probably none of those systems are running windows 10. if only because some other poo poo they rely on probably hasn't been updated since the nt4/win2k era and never will be

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 is really good

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Oh yeah, wouldn't want to break all those mission-critical 16 bit apps. loling @ the world of corporate computing.

yeah, that last part is what i was implying. if ltsb 2022 is only offered as a 64-bit windows there are going to be a lot of corps on ltsb 2021

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Oh, I know that it's a thing. Hence the loling.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The 2017 LTSB is p.good but I'm using it for a power plant so your mileage may vary
your combined cycle gas turbine is a piece of poo poo

yccgtpos bithc

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

FMguru posted:

your combined cycle gas turbine is a piece of poo poo

yccgtpos bithc

lol you have no idea at least they don't burn coal any more

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shaggar posted:

:wrong:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

NEED MORE MILK posted:

a reminder that the official first party deployment solution for windows 10 breaks if you’re connected to the internet because windows 10 is in such a loving rush to install all possible adware into the start menu that it breaks sysprep

year 2001: new windows installs should stay offline until have sp2 because you'll be infected before it's done downloading
year 2018: new windows installs should stay offline unOH gently caress CANDY CRUSH

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shaggar posted:

:yooge: windows 10 is really good

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Shaggar posted:

so not only does my computer still continue to install the bootloader to my windows install USB with a blank label, but the computer immediately blue screens when I remove it after it being operable.

so I mean that’s good from the perspective of like ...

nothing

but it’s been an adventure

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is restricting updates to "Current Branch for Business" going to result in my getting hosed less-hard?

:ohdear:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/...umbers-actually
:eyepop:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Is restricting updates to "Current Branch for Business" going to result in my getting hosed less-hard?

:ohdear:

They'll randomly rename it and/or change the behavior of your selection with zero notice or explanation

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lambert posted:

there's software that researchers need to run instruments and equipment at my workplace that won't run on anything newer than Win XP. And the workplace is making a huge push at the moment to even get rid of Win 7 devices. So there's going be some big rear end bills coming in soon as researchers find out that to upgrade the software usually means new lab equipment.

research related software is the loving worst. it even makes Adobe look reasonable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
manufacturing is similar. i have a client with $50k-$80k CNC systems that can't communicate with anything newer than SMBv1. some of them have controllers still running dos 5.2 and a tsr smb client. they have a utility for calculating thermal expansion coefficients that hasn't been updated since 2001 and never will be.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i won’t go so far to say win10 is bad but it’s certainly annoying me much more than win7 ever did

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

a couple of years ago I was doing some large calculations and had no idea that excel just starts rounding things off as it loses precision. a warning message would have been nice and save a whole lot of rework.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

involuntary

reboots

are

inexcusable

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

just came to post this

also lol

quote:

This is a brief update to let y’all know that we’ve started work on this feature request

this feature request that should have been the default because nobody in their right mind would want scientific notation to be the default display

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

you could take scientific notation out of excel altogether. It would help everyone doing business things who don't bother with issues like "precision" and force engineers and scientists to use and learn better tools (and store in better formats like csv).

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Boiled Water posted:

you could take scientific notation out of excel altogether. It would help everyone doing business things who don't bother with issues like "precision" and force engineers and scientists to use and learn better tools (and store in better formats like csv).

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

manufacturing is similar. i have a client with $50k-$80k CNC systems that can't communicate with anything newer than SMBv1. some of them have controllers still running dos 5.2 and a tsr smb client. they have a utility for calculating thermal expansion coefficients that hasn't been updated since 2001 and never will be.

important thing to remember here is that the expectation that all software will forever be updated, migrated and replaced is the actually insane side of things

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Welp, W10 +1 day on install, already had a BSOD and three update restart cycles (including the current at-power on one that’s run for about 15 minutes as of press time).

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Schadenboner posted:

Welp, W10 +1 day on install, already had a BSOD and three update restart cycles (including the current at-power on one that’s run for about 15 minutes as of press time).

lol

check for cats

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bulgakov posted:

lol

check for cats

The Eternal Catte.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

my windows vm exists solely for accessing a terrible clunky java-based electronic parts system front end :waycool:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bulgakov posted:

my windows vm exists solely for accessing a terrible clunky java-based electronic parts system front end :waycool:

this sounds awful

but did you know, java runs on 3 billion devices?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Boiled Water posted:

but did you know, java runs on 3 billion devices?

every single day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

ur hardware is fubared

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

ur hardware is fubared

Ran 7 like a goddamn champ. Have you considered that it’s possible Your Operating System Is A Piece Of poo poo, bithc?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows 10 is not less stable than windows 7, there is plenty of other thing you can yospos on about

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Windows 10 makes its users less stable because it is a pos

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the hardware is trying to protect you from your mistakes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the hardware is trying to protect you from your mistakes

Wish your keyboard would protect us from your posts.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if ur poo poo is bsoding you have faulty hardware or someone hosed up a driver real bad. this isn't 9x, poo poo doesn't just blue screen at random on its own any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

involuntary

reboots

are

inexcusable

if you don't reboot, the security update doesn't get installed