Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The technology for coloring the original artwork, the technology for printing the artwork, and the general expectations/styles people seem to favor have changed a ton in the past twenty years or so.

Compare the Steve Epting cover from 1992, which is more in the 1980s style of coloring (complete with a... not halftone, but definitely the sort of thing in vogue in 1980s coloring background):

Just a couple of years later people were diving headlong into computer coloring, which made 'painterly' sort of gradients and swirls of color much easier to do:

Ten years after that, same artist and it's all lens flares and cloud effects and layer upon layer of shading and modeling

Epting and his collaborators have adapted remarkably well to the changing styles, but that's a huge change in what is happening to the line art across the years. Not everyone has adapted (or wanted to adapt) as well, and some people's art is much more suited to one type of coloring versus the other. It's really jarring when they try to "recolor" art designed for the old style with the new.

One modern comic that uses the "old" flat coloring style to great effect I think is Deadly Class:

The colorist here is Lee Loughridge, who broke into coloring right between the first and second Avengers cover, and can totally do the "modern" house style of coloring when called upon to:

but also can work with an artist like Wes Craig or Becky Cloonan or Jock to do something outside of the ordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

goatface posted:

People don't have to care about how the print quality will affect the colours any more.

DC's changing to matte paper this year. Colourists probably wont have to change anything, but adjusting for it might be a consideration.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 14, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wish I was clever about colouring - what's the best way to describe the differences between the colouring methods and styles we have now with those in the 70s or the 80s?

That's the thing. They're essentially the same, which is what bothers me. With Photoshop you can do more blends and shading and as printing has advanced the artist doesn't have to worry as much about clean separations and registration issues. If you read older comics; ones published before 1990 or so, you can see where the printer hand separated colors, especially in black areas.

I used to notice it is a kid but didn't know enough about printing to understand why it would happen. You'd see a large black area behind, say, Daredevil, and could see the red of his costume overprinting the black area. Also, FACT: a lot of Superhero costumes are the colors they are because of printing limitations, most famously the Hulk and Superman (whose costume is built from 100% Cyan, Magenta, Black and Yellow). Real easy to print.

My bitching about modern color techniques is that the craft has evolved but the palette hasn't. It's still almost entirely what I call "Juicy Fruit" and "Hot" coloring. Compare those spreads that guy posted with some of the coloring done on Ronin, TDKR or Batman:Year One. Not even sure what the gently caress happened to Lynn Varley. Alex Ross is really good subduing his palette a bit which lets the "hot" colors he uses really pop.

Here's a really good example

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/b/b1/Captain_Marvel_Kingdom_Come_001.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100516222237

See how dark and muted the red in Shazam's costume is? The dull yellow of his boots? The muted blue of Superman's suit? This lets the golden flashes on Shazam's outfit and Superman's cape really snap. Usually, all of these would be pure mixes.

Here's another one. this time it's The Thing

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/13/ee/a613eeddd0ab0e48e184524d56656f24.jpg

He's usually colored pure orange. 30% magenta and 100% yellow. Here he's mostly brown and tan, allowing the Torch behind him to really pop in pure hot red.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 15, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I've been thinking about this one over the past few days and I'm not really sure what the message is supposed to be. Maybe I'm missing context from the pages in between, but I'm not entirely sure what the point the villain (?) is trying to make, and by extension what the point Ditko was trying to make was. The villain is clearly a cynic and Ditko, as an idealist, probably didn't rate cynicism very highly. Is there anything more to it than that?

(I'm completely ignorant of Ditko's approach on Blue Beetle more generally.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All the comic book characters are mixed together and mashed-up and I'm so confused. :corsair:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been thinking about this one over the past few days and I'm not really sure what the message is supposed to be. Maybe I'm missing context from the pages in between, but I'm not entirely sure what the point the villain (?) is trying to make, and by extension what the point Ditko was trying to make was. The villain is clearly a cynic and Ditko, as an idealist, probably didn't rate cynicism very highly. Is there anything more to it than that?

Ditko was a fan of idealized individualism and believed blaming personal failings on society just gave people an excuse to be lovely. He felt that art that communicated powerlessness in the face of systemic problems was weak and morally bankrupt. He felt that art should "elevate the common man". Basically if your life sucks, you have the power to change it and it's nobody else's fault, and trying to blame the world for your lot can only make you a villain.

It's just a slightly different take on Thatcher's beliefs.

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Ditko was a fan of idealized individualism and believed blaming personal failings on society just gave people an excuse to be lovely. He felt that art that communicated powerlessness in the face of systemic problems was weak and morally bankrupt. He felt that art should "elevate the common man". Basically if your life sucks, you have the power to change it and it's nobody else's fault, and trying to blame the world for your lot can only make you a villain.

It's just a slightly different take on Thatcher's beliefs.

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

So ... Ditko probably voted for Trump, huh?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Even so, I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to take away from that Blue Beetle story. It doesn't seem to me like the bad guy is trying to blame his shortcomings on others or on society so much as he's opposed to the idea that anyone could be genuinely heroic or altruistic - he keeps talking about exposing Blue Beetle's "heroic pose" - which I believe is itself a tenet of objectivism as Rand expressed it, so it seems odd that Ditko would give that position to one of his villains.

But then again, I tend to have an habitually cynical outlook where the motivations of other people are concerned. Maybe I'm the wrong audience.

ecavalli posted:

He probably just didn't vote. :shrug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ditko seems like a spoiled ballot kind of guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ecavalli posted:

He was not a fan of liars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trump is way too left wing for Ditko. And yeah, a liar.

Sterenko is the Trumper.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Steranko is like the patron saint of liars so that checks out.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Even so, I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to take away from that Blue Beetle story. It doesn't seem to me like the bad guy is trying to blame his shortcomings on others or on society so much as he's opposed to the idea that anyone could be genuinely heroic or altruistic - he keeps talking about exposing Blue Beetle's "heroic pose" - which I believe is itself a tenet of objectivism as Rand expressed it, so it seems odd that Ditko would give that position to one of his villains.

I see it as a version of Rand's take on John Galt or Howard Roark -- the idea that some people are simply better than others, which leads jealous mediocrities to try and drag them down.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't post the whole story, but "Our Man" and the other hippie strawmen in the story are nihilists that see the universe as impossible to understand or effect change on. They totally claim that their shortcomings are beyond their control. They say that heroism is evil because it gives false hope, but in their heart of hearts, they know better and they're ashamed of themselves for being cowards. Hippies and snooty art critics hate square artists like Ditko for the same reason that Jonah hates Spider-Man.

Ditko does mock liberal do-gooderism in his comics as an irrational emotional impulse that's wasted on a bunch of losers who are either crybabies who won't pull themselves up by their own bootstraps or irredeemably vicious criminals, so there are forms of heroic posturing that he's opposed to. I don't know how his personal views stack up against orthodox Objectivism.

Selachian posted:

I see it as a version of Rand's take on John Galt or Howard Roark -- the idea that some people are simply better than others, which leads jealous mediocrities to try and drag them down.

His heroes aren't innately better than others, which is why the mediocrities' jealousy is ironic and misplaced. We could all be like Spider-Man or The Question if we tried.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 17, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Among the many virtues of Simonson's classic Thor run, I'm quickly learning of his zeal for onomatopoeia.

Thor #340

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

do the needful

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lobok posted:

Among the many virtues of Simonson's classic Thor run, I'm quickly learning of his zeal for onomatopoeia.

Thor #340

Many wouldn't even bother with it, so it's nice, you know?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What is unfortunate though is Bill's face in that panel. Simonson pulled a Groening and designed a character whose face really shouldn't ever be looked at straight on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

do the needful

"WANK"?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just noticed Odin's amazing rack

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

just noticed Odin's amazing rack

He calls them Huginn and Muninn

Thought and Mammory

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

im calling the police

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I get that you don't want to poo poo on Ditko so soon after his death but there's some extremely naive people in this thread. He was an old crackpot who believed wholeheartedly in the great man theory, blamed poor people for being poor, and generally hated anyone getting anything he felt they hadn't 'earned'. He was exactly the kind of person who would have gone for Trump. These aren't even the positions of a moderate liberal pushed to the right, this is straight up gop ideology from Reagan onward.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Servoret posted:

Ditko does mock liberal do-gooderism in his comics as an irrational emotional impulse that's wasted on a bunch of losers who are either crybabies who won't pull themselves up by their own bootstraps or irredeemably vicious criminals, so there are forms of heroic posturing that he's opposed to. I don't know how his personal views stack up against orthodox Objectivism.

His heroes aren't innately better than others, which is why the mediocrities' jealousy is ironic and misplaced. We could all be like Spider-Man or The Question if we tried.

It's bog-standard Objectivism, with the underlying factor that he identifies himself with his hero characters and everyone he dislikes with one of his many dissolute ideologies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He was also someone who treated his old art like literal trash because he didn’t think it was right for him to sell it when it was created under contract for someone else.

Dude was complicated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

purple death ray posted:

I get that you don't want to poo poo on Ditko so soon after his death but there's some extremely naive people in this thread. He was an old crackpot who believed wholeheartedly in the great man theory, blamed poor people for being poor, and generally hated anyone getting anything he felt they hadn't 'earned'. He was exactly the kind of person who would have gone for Trump. These aren't even the positions of a moderate liberal pushed to the right, this is straight up gop ideology from Reagan onward.
:thunk:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well if there's one thing that definitely didn't happen in 2016, it was people who should know better embracing the narrative he was selling and completely ignoring reality in the process.

And even if some people did, I'm sure Ditko wasn't one of them, because something something objectivist principles.

E: and him using original Spider-Man pages as cutting boards is always trotted out as evidence of his unshakable commitment to his beliefs, but to me that just screams a tricky combination of spite and mental illness, which yeah who do you think is voting republican?

Great artist, huge contributions to the medium and art form. Not denying that. But he doesn't have to be morally unassailable to be remembered for his work.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 17, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Objectivists all came out for ron paul and then they went back to being votes bernie in the primary, votes straight r in the general independent after that blew up

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
You know what's bad art

This many words about a dead man's politics

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

im calling the police

Granos doesn't post here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does this break the thread title rule?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mothman?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
PLUS ULTRA

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The guy's art might not be good but at least he actually draws it, unlike Horn et al.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Rob Liefeld is a lovely artist that is fun to bullshit with if you meet him at a con. The guy is super friendly.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I fixed it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like flat colors. It doesn't work for everything but when someone has good color theory it can really make a comic pop. Also good for making things surreal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC are gonna have a foil covers month, which sounds dumb, but it means everything they just previewed today's solicits is very monochrome and most look pretty classy that way, at least before the shininess is applied.
Steve Rude
John Paul Leon
Yasmine Putri
Joelle Jones
Alex Maleev
Dan Panosian

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that Dan Panosian Suicide Squad cover reminds me of old flat-shaded Hiroaki art. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Those covers are all cool.
Too bad about those geese, though. Superman's about to belly flop through several of them.