Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

You guys know that the Journal menu has a section for sidequests if you press R while in the main quests section, right? It doesn't help for finding things but it sure does help for figuring out where to go back to when you randomly find quest stuff elsewhere in your travels.

Unrelated, but I found a cave with a random jerk and his trained gigantic snake in it, killed them after a couple tries, and ended up with a Transcendent Bow of Shadows, which is both a cool name and a pretty strong bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Unrelated, but I found a cave with a random jerk and his trained gigantic snake in it, killed them after a couple tries, and ended up with a Transcendent Bow of Shadows, which is both a cool name and a pretty strong bow.

That's not unrelated thats a sidequest man too!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Yeah but I found him before I even knew it was a sidequest. You can't actually fight him until you get info about the quest though, so that sucked a bit.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Bongo Bill posted:

The secondary job grants a fixed percentage boost to base stats. The primary job has a much larger effect.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Characters have significantly different base stats. All my guys are level ~25 and Cyrus/Ophilia have about 100 more MATK than anyone else. So, Cyrus subclassed as Warrior is gonna have wildly different stats than Olberic subclasses as a Scholar. There's a passive skill you can unlock later on to swap a characters magic and physical attack stats, but otherwise you sort of have to keep characters in line with their base stats. Although, that's why people like Therion and Tressa who have pretty evenly-distributed stat spreads so you can do whatever you want with them. It's worth noting however that healing is based on your MDEF stat so anyone can be a healer, I really like setting Olberic as Apothecary.

Got it, thanks. That definitely makes things a lot more interesting.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... Sealticge's Seduction will work on Starseer skills, won't it?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I was smuglording a bit to my wife (who likes watching me play Octopath Traveler) about how I pretty much broke to game and was rocking out enjoying my builds. Then I tried the True Final Boss.

I'm going to need to break the game much harder.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

OddObserver posted:

... Sealticge's Seduction will work on Starseer skills, won't it?

Yes, just tested it. One weird interaction though is that normally for the skill that prevents enemies from getting buffs and your team from getting debuffs, you have to choose between allies or enemies, but Seduction instead allows you to cast the spell on everyone at the same time, allies and enemies

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Just got Starseer done. Having the dancer divine skill so you can do partywide reflect (right until the boss targets your cleric with the buff nullification skill (repeatedly :argh:)) made that a hell of a lot smoother of a fight. I don't get why Starseer has a single target crit boost as a skill. Especially considering that the hunter job gets a partywide crit and accuracy boosting skill. And it costs less SP to use.

When I cleared Therion's ch3 boss I decided to do a 4x grace... JP x5, JP x5, Strength Boost, JP x5.

...multipliers of the same value do not multiply each other or stack, so only a single JP x5 was applied. :negative:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yes, just tested it. One weird interaction though is that normally for the skill that prevents enemies from getting buffs and your team from getting debuffs, you have to choose between allies or enemies, but Seduction instead allows you to cast the spell on everyone at the same time, allies and enemies

:eyepop:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Will I find the job shrines organically going to missions or should I search around.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My life is empty post-Octopath. I'm seriously thinking about just starting a new game again.

The music is so goddamn good and it's just so comforting to play in bed.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Bombadilillo posted:

Will I find the job shrines organically going to missions or should I search around.
Heading to any Chapter 2 will take you by one. The icon looks like a bunch of pillars on the radar.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Loving this game so far, but as far as path actions go and battle assist, are ophilia and primrose identical? Do they both have the same action caps per summon? Can they complete quests the same way?

Also with quests in general, do completing quests in different ways lead to different outcomes?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Philosopher King posted:

Loving this game so far, but as far as path actions go and battle assist, are ophilia and primrose identical? Do they both have the same action caps per summon? Can they complete quests the same way?

Also with quests in general, do completing quests in different ways lead to different outcomes?

They're identical, except that Ophilia has a 100% Guide chance if she's above the level requirement, while Primrose has a scaling percentage chance and if you fail, it's like failing with Cyrus or Therion, your reputation takes a hit.

Yes, either Ophilia or Primrose can complete a quest of getting a person from point A to point B.

The quest rewards don't change we think, but the events will end differently. A good example is the lovesick kid in Rippletide. You can lead his mom to scold him or you can Challenge/Provoke him and lose.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So the Runelord fight has been the hardest of the three I've attempted so far. Sorceror was actually really easy because he doesn't mess around with any statuses and just blasted himself to death on reflect. On Runeblade now and on the upside I think I've got The Strategy down, bad news is that I'm so underleveled that the fight is taking forever because I dont do much damage. Since starting the fight I've gotten sleepy and am gonna go to bed and finish it when I wake up

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So the Runelord fight has been the hardest of the three I've attempted so far. Sorceror was actually really easy because he doesn't mess around with any statuses and just blasted himself to death on reflect. On Runeblade now and on the upside I think I've got The Strategy down, bad news is that I'm so underleveled that the fight is taking forever because I dont do much damage. Since starting the fight I've gotten sleepy and am gonna go to bed and finish it when I wake up

What level are you? I tried at 39-32 and got to I think the last phase but I messed up and got blasted after about 40 minutes of fighting.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

What level are you? I tried at 39-32 and got to I think the last phase but I messed up and got blasted after about 40 minutes of fighting.

I had a similar experience at around level 40, but a couple of levels later I tried it again and got it like so:

Your Computer posted:

I couldn't sleep and I decided to give the runelord another try and I beat it! :toot:

In true Tressa fashion, I ended up killing it by throwing tons of money at it. I must've spent like 120k on it (although I stole collected 80k so it wasn't that bad) by using Ophilia's divine to get Tressa's hired hands to trigger twice. A fully boosted 30k mercenary did 4x3.5k damage... and then 4x3.5k damage again due to the divine. That's a lot of damage especially considering I'm under the recommended level.

The damage was enough to blast through the last phase quickly, which was definitely needed because I wouldn't have lasted long.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So I'm trying to do In Search of Father I, and I think I'm hosed? I ended up looking up the solution. I recognize the guy I need to get, but... he's not there now? He was totally there before! What the hey? Am I screwed?

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 24, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

100 degrees Calcium posted:

So I'm trying to do In Search of Father II, and I think I'm hosed? I ended up looking up the solution. I recognize the guy I need to get, but... he's not there now? He was totally there before! What the hey? Am I screwed?

Did you by any chance Guide or Allure him?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Haha I thought I might have, but no I have not. He was there when I was doing stuff in that city earlier but then when I went back to do the sidequest he just isn't.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

gently caress me, I looked it up and the one post that described my problem never found a solution and apparently it locks me out of the post-game dungeon. Please no, I've already put nearly 40 hours into this game. I love it but this is too much!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

*Inquire someone and learn of a tragic death in the family.
"Nice talkin to ya!"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
gently caress the boss of Tressa chapter 3. I am a bit overleveled due to 100% xp, and I still can't beat that fucker. Tressa is level 42 and the fight isn't too bad until it starts using that lovely poison attack that covers the screen, and then it hits everyone for 1800 damage. Going to take a long break from the game before I return to it as I wasted about a half hour as it was in the red.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Haha I thought I might have, but no I have not. He was there when I was doing stuff in that city earlier but then when I went back to do the sidequest he just isn't.

I had one NPC vanish in my game as well (not that one) so its something that can definitely happen and I've no idea what causes it or if there is any fix.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Rirse posted:

gently caress the boss of Tressa chapter 3. I am a bit overleveled due to 100% xp, and I still can't beat that fucker. Tressa is level 42 and the fight isn't too bad until it starts using that lovely poison attack that covers the screen, and then it hits everyone for 1800 damage. Going to take a long break from the game before I return to it as I wasted about a half hour as it was in the red.

The last option in Tressa's Hired Help skill absolutely destroys it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Octopath is proof again that the RNG god hates me 99% of the time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is there a better way to grind JP besides either doing random battles or hoping for a good Bewildering Grace proc? Bewildering Grace seems to wreck me more often than help me.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Is there a better way to grind JP besides either doing random battles or hoping for a good Bewildering Grace proc? Bewildering Grace seems to wreck me more often than help me.

Runelord has a +JP passive, and you can get an accessory that boosts JP after finishing Ophilias story by going back to the kids from her earlier chapter.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I literally just did this fight about 10 minutes ago. Took a little fiddling with my group (as with Alfyn it is probably a breeze, gently caress them for giving mix to the worst character in the game).

My setup:
Tressa/Cleric
Cyrus/Sorcerer
Primrose/Scholar
Therion/Merchant

All about level 45.

Cyrus with support skills: Surpassing Power, Elemental Aid, Stronger Strikes, Elemental Augmentation. Gear that focuses on elemental attack and speed.

Basically the setup focuses on just buffing the gently caress out of Cyrus. Therion focuses on getting BP to everyone. Tressa gets the Cleric divine on Cyrus. Primrose gets the Scholar divine on Cyrus, as well as Peacock strut. Then blow away the boss with shadow/holy spells depending on if anything is locked.
You do about 12k per hit when the enemy is guarded and about 16k per hit when not guarded. And you hit 6 times per attack.

The fight ends up going by super fast.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

Elderbean posted:

*Inquire someone and learn of a tragic death in the family.
"Nice talkin to ya!"

And then you steal their poo poo...

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I like how Cyrus (ch 3 spoilers) sounds so excited after his boss dumps him in the pit. He's like "Ahahaha what an interesting turn of events! Now lets see, how to get out of this pickle ohohoho"

nerd_of_prey posted:

And then you steal their poo poo...

Most kids you can steal from have Candy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So am I seeing it right that the "augments physical attack and def" passive just gives you a permanent atk up and def up boost in combat? That seems real nice on non-Olberic characters who want to make the most out of melee damage on non-warrior setups.

Rirse posted:

If you spent half an hour on that fight it sounds like your damage output is very low which would be a problem in and of itself. :shrug:

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

So am I seeing it right that the "augments physical attack and def" passive just gives you a permanent atk up and def up boost in combat? That seems real nice on non-Olberic characters who want to make the most out of melee damage on non-warrior setups.

There's a spellcaster version too.

The best part about them is that they stick around when enemies dispel your buffs, or debuff you. Between that and the action economy gains (no turns spent buffing or re-buffing), I love these abilities.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If status ailments are a big problem on a particular boss might want to see if you can spare the skill slot for the resist status ailments passive.

Or maybe there's aresist poison charm. Seems I have one for just about every element except poison.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Apothecary's Rehabilitate also gives status immunity for a few turns.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't get why Starseer has a single target crit boost as a skill. Especially considering that the hunter job gets a partywide crit and accuracy boosting skill. And it costs less SP to use.

The hunter one ups crit rate, the starseer one guarantees crits, I believe.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

fezball posted:

Runelord has a +JP passive, and you can get an accessory that boosts JP after finishing Ophilias story by going back to the kids from her earlier chapter.

Starseer has that passive, not Runelord.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress them for giving mix to the worst character in the game.

Ophilia doesn't have mix though :confused:

Also I did Tressa's chapter 3 boss last night and literally don't remember anything about it, though I'm using "end-game" equipment for most of my characters so maybe that's the disconnect. They're generally underlevelled for whatever content I've been doing though.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 24, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is Alfyn an alien life form? Yes/no

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Is Alfyn an alien life form? Yes/no

I haven't seen him try to eat a cat yet so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I haven't seen him try to eat a cat yet so

Pretty sure if one of his buddies was like "man we gotta eat this cat to do X" he'd be like "Wow it sure is a lot of work to do X" and then chop the cat up with abandon so..