Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Double-post but whatever. Speaking of Illmatic, I just got an e-mail from Turntable Lab that they are doing a special transparent-red pressing of Illmatic limited to 500 copies and it goes on sail 7/25. Follow the link below and you can get an e-mail as soon as it goes up for sale. I think I am gonna try to grab this one since its a cool pressing and is reasonably priced. You might have to be signed up with TTL to view the link, I am not sure.

https://www.turntablelab.com/produc..._eid=d4f74e2d0b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have any favorite newer indie labels they wanna give a shout out too? I've noticed Don Giovanni has put out a ton of my recent punk favs and it's been a treat just going through their catalog and finding new poo poo I love. Haven't done that since I was teen and it made me feel nice about music. Also Salina's Records has a bunch of nice poo poo with an overlap in sensibilities. Hell yeah.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I got sick and couldn't make it to the Melvins last night. Told my wife to pick up the new record for me

1. No Pinkus Abortion Technician
2. Only record under $60 was A Walk With Love And Death

I dig the idea of the super rare, bespoke, hand screened, splatter color variant... for other people. I just want a regular ol' pressing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Last Melvins show I went to pretty much the only vinyl they had was a crate of really rare stuff and it was priced accordingly. They had a bunch of Altamont picture discs that I kinda wished I'd picked up.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Getting up to all sorts of poo poo in Chicago this weekend.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

At the end of the interview the Melvins dismiss the vinyl resurgence and explain the reasoning for not releasing a lot of crappy merch.

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2011/11/18/melvins-q-a-buzz-osborne-and-dale-crover-talk-vinyl-splits-punk-and-groucho-marxism/

I sorta get it but I still want that new record damnit!

Anyways here are some of the reasons why I am having trouble paying my bills this month.

Cool covers album of some rare songs.
https://mybags.bandcamp.com/album/solstice

Funky stuff that I got through this sub... https://cultures-of-soul.myshopify.com/products/lp-subsciption-series but I believe it has had a wider release as well.

Cool latin grooves for the summer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT6_iY0QUk0

Some VMP stuff. Probably done with them for a while unless they release something crazy rare.

World psych/funk comp.

Portland, OR rock band. I lived next to the guitar player for a few years. Good throwback 70's riff/boogie stuff. Really fun to see live.
https://pushy.bandcamp.com/

That Trout Mask Replica reissue was tempting but too rich for my blood. I'll stick with my Canadian pressing eh?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It's kind of funny to me that they're scoffing at the idea that a lot of people are buying vinyl LPs when Third Man Records reissued a bunch of their old albums a year ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This year's Devo release is something literally nobody was asking for.

Cool packaging, at least. Lots of demos and cut tracks, but sadly no Swedish Baby Doll.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Cool packaging, at least. Lots of demos and cut tracks, but sadly no Swedish Baby Doll.

So they've run out of archival material to release?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Speaking as an enormous Devo nerd: nahman.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

So they've run out of archival material to release?

There's still quite a few unreleased demo reels out there - probably enough for a Hardcore Vol. 3 if they wanted to do that.

Personally I'd like to hear whatever live tapes they might have from the 70s, but I'm starting to question how many of those even exist. The recent releases have just been recordings that are already circulating (Seattle 1981 was new... I think?) A vinyl version of Live: The Mongoloid Years would be nice, though that CD kinda sucked despite having the best live content they've ever put out. I asked Jerry about the full version of the 1975 show from that release on twitter and he said he didn't know where the tapes were, so there's probably no chance of a "better" version of that album. Who knows though, maybe Mark is sitting on a treasure trove. Frankly I'm surprised we've gotten any of these high-effort releases, given the state of the band.

My bet on the next release would be a Dev-o Live LP, like Rhino released on CD years ago.

edit: I completely forgot about the Max's Kansas City RSD release a few years back. That was straight from The Mongoloid Years, which makes sense because that disc is too long for one record. So yeah, probably no chance of the rest of that CD ever being re-released.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 23, 2018

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Devo mentioned that they unearthed a jam session with Devo, Bowie and Eno and I’m crossing my fingers that it sees the light of day. If I remember correctly they also managed to track down all the Eno bits that got cut from Q?A!, but I don’t know if that’s owned by Warner Bros. or not.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Devo mentioned that they unearthed a jam session with Devo, Bowie and Eno and I’m crossing my fingers that it sees the light of day. If I remember correctly they also managed to track down all the Eno bits that got cut from Q?A!, but I don’t know if that’s owned by Warner Bros. or not.

Holy poo poo, what?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo, what?

Bowie was supposed to produce a record for 'em and they did some work before he stepped back to work on stuff with Iggy in Berlin

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I picked up a collection of records from a guy on craigslist at about $0.60/record. Here were some of the highlights. In that picture is a generic black sleeve that happened to have De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising first pressing. It's in great shape, but unfortunately it didn't come with the album sleeve.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

wa27 posted:

Oh good. Maybe next year will be Smooth Noodle Maps, another ‘unrecognised classic' 🤮

As a Devo fan, I wish they’d just give up.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

wa27 posted:

There's still quite a few unreleased demo reels out there - probably enough for a Hardcore Vol. 3 if they wanted to do that.

Personally I'd like to hear whatever live tapes they might have from the 70s, but I'm starting to question how many of those even exist. The recent releases have just been recordings that are already circulating (Seattle 1981 was new... I think?) A vinyl version of Live: The Mongoloid Years would be nice, though that CD kinda sucked despite having the best live content they've ever put out. I asked Jerry about the full version of the 1975 show from that release on twitter and he said he didn't know where the tapes were, so there's probably no chance of a "better" version of that album. Who knows though, maybe Mark is sitting on a treasure trove. Frankly I'm surprised we've gotten any of these high-effort releases, given the state of the band.

My bet on the next release would be a Dev-o Live LP, like Rhino released on CD years ago.

edit: I completely forgot about the Max's Kansas City RSD release a few years back. That was straight from The Mongoloid Years, which makes sense because that disc is too long for one record. So yeah, probably no chance of the rest of that CD ever being re-released.

My bet is on Hardcore Vol. 3. Really surprised by this Total Devo announcement...it's a nice package and everything but what an odd album to unearth. Still, I'd rather listen to TD over Shout or Smooth Noodle Maps. Wish they would have done an expanded reissue of Oh No, It's Devo. Still my favorite of theirs after all these years. Not sure how likely that is, though...a few years back I tried to do an official release of the Oh No, It's Demos bootleg with Devo and the whole thing was shut down by Warner for....reasons.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I figured this would be cool to share since everyone just recently got MF DOOM's Mm..Food record from VMP. In that collection I just posted, I found this Whodini single/instrumental:

The song "Friends" is the main sample for Deep Fried Frienz off of that album.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Here's another in my series of 45s that were sampled. Came across this one and I knew the artist had been sampled a lot in hip-hop.

Joe Tex - I Gotcha

Joe Tex was a singer who gained popularity in the 60's and 70's for his style of southern soul, which blended the styles of country, gospel, and rhythm & blues. I Gotcha was one of his four biggest hits, selling over a million copies.

This record has been sampled 79 times according to whosampled.com. The most popular artists to sample this record include Afrika Bambaataa, Ice Cube, Jurassic 5, Notorious BIG, The Roots, Large Professor, and Rick Ross. The part that is most frequently sampled are the intro vocals/lyrics.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 24, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
That's on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack as well. As embarrassing as it is to discover music through movie soundtracks, Tarantino usually comes through. Death Proof is particularly wanky about it and features his personal jukebox pretty prominently in a few scenes. Still owns though.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Oh nice, I didn't know it was also in Reservoir Dogs. Thanks for sharing that. I have found myself listening much more closely to the music in TV/Movies now and found some cool stuff as a result. There are some really great original soundtracks out there as well. I have been keeping an eye out for stuff by Ennio Morricone since RZA mentioned in an interview that Morricone was one of his favorite composers.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Stan Taylor posted:

That's on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack as well. As embarrassing as it is to discover music through movie soundtracks, Tarantino usually comes through. Death Proof is particularly wanky about it and features his personal jukebox pretty prominently in a few scenes. Still owns though.

Why is it embarrassing? Second season of Fargo had me shazaming a bunch of stuff. Im always stoked to find cool new music regardless of the source.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

MrSargent posted:

I picked up a collection of records from a guy on craigslist at about $0.60/record. Here were some of the highlights. In that picture is a generic black sleeve that happened to have De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising first pressing. It's in great shape, but unfortunately it didn't come with the album sleeve.

Noice. Assuming it was a ‘give me $xx and take it all away’ type deal you’ll have to post the lowlights as well I’m afraid.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

sporklift posted:

Why is it embarrassing? Second season of Fargo had me shazaming a bunch of stuff. Im always stoked to find cool new music regardless of the source.

Tongue in cheek. I'm big into movie soundtracks. The Guest soundtrack loving rocks and made me realize I love old goth jams.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Sounds amazing. Having previously only ever heard lovely youtube rips, I Can Never Be Myself is amazing. Also the twin peaks poster loving rules

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Banano posted:

Noice. Assuming it was a ‘give me $xx and take it all away’ type deal you’ll have to post the lowlights as well I’m afraid.

The lowlights were the records that were pretty beat up, but there really wasn't anything bad in terms of the music in the collection that I remember jumping out. The guy was a hip-hop DJ at some point so the music was curated a bit. I'll go back through tonight and post anything embarrassing.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
recent acquisitions:

nice comp from seminal 90s triphop label Cup Of Tea records, some absolute fire re-edits of salsoul strut and roll the joint, a clean(ish) copy of MosDef's universal magnetic (my own copies are just a weee bit too beaten up from years of use) and a sealed copy of Brenda & The Tabulations' Lets go all the way down - a 7 minute disco soul monster b/w Parliament's Tear the roof off the sucker.

7 inch hotness:

funky garage/psychy thing from the balloon corps, funky library disco track b/w a re-edit and another heavy psych tune with a lead booted drum break

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Sounds amazing. Having previously only ever heard lovely youtube rips, I Can Never Be Myself is amazing. Also the twin peaks poster loving rules

Oh man, my order from them supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope I get that Twin Peaks poster.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I first discovered Blood Orange at Coachella of all places and really love Dev Hynes' music. I am very tempted to pre-order his new album on limited edition gold vinyl.

https://bloodorange.dominomart.com/negro-swan-deluxe-double-lp

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Would any of you J Dilla enthusiasts be interested in these? I can't find my receipt email but I'd say $40 is around cost if not less, plus a couple bucks for shipping

Trying to offload some old impulse purchases, not looking to profit a bunch.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Stan Taylor posted:

haha, you aren’t familiar wjth all music and have to experience new things through curated media. like a plebe

Nah, there’s nothing shameful about discovering new music through soundtracks.

Edit: re: ”I Gotcha”: I first heard that song from my mum singing it :shobon:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Would any of you J Dilla enthusiasts be interested in these? I can't find my receipt email but I'd say $40 is around cost if not less, plus a couple bucks for shipping

I would definitely be interested in these. Shoot me a PM if you can to work out details.

When did they sell off his record collection? I would have probably gone bankrupt if I had known about it at the time so I am kinda thankful.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Also interested if things don't work out with the goon who posted before me.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Stan Taylor posted:

Also interested if things don't work out with the goon who posted before me.

Third in line in case the two goons in front of me get hit by buses. :gerty:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ballz posted:

Third in line in case the two goons in front of me get hit by buses. :gerty:

drat I’ll say forth in line because at that point it’s just destiny.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ylVRqfKfvM

I’m not a restoration expert, but this seems very sound. Then the comments section is filled with tech bros harrumphing her process. I’d love to see the response in an alternate reality where everything was the same but the gender of the technician. This isn’t entirely rhetorical; the comments may actually be making some good points, I don’t know enough to say one way or the other. My gut (and it is a prodigious one) says that she’s doing a fine job, and the negative reaction is down to a mix of mansplaining and horrible nerds who spend too much time gazing at EQ charts and not enough time listening to music.

Re: Horrible nerds: They’re a cancer on the photography industry as well. Pixel Peepers, we call ‘em. I prefer photogs who know the technical stuff but use it to make great photos, rather than becoming obsessed with gear

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

MrSargent posted:

When did they sell off his record collection? I would have probably gone bankrupt if I had known about it at the time so I am kinda thankful.

It was a shitload of miscellaneous boxes in a storage locker that was abandoned after he died and nobody paid the bill. Calling it his "personal collection" is stretching it. There was some tapes and personal poo poo in there, but it was largely detritus that got moved when his basement flooded. (Not knocking Dilla's mom, she was definitely in a lovely position, but it was largely hype as far as considering it as a personal/curated collection.)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

I’d love to see the response in an alternate reality where everything was the same but the gender of the technician.

I think we all know the answer to this question

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Bob's Burgers is down to around $19 if you use the coupon. Not bad for a three record set. This is not the colored vinyl btw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d947f3e94ff165c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Don Giovanni is doing a Kickstarter and a few of the pledges get you a grab bag of random LPs for a bit of a discount. I went in at the 5 LP level for a fun gamble.