Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I guess some of the slightly smarter ones are tricked into buying special edition patriot gold coins way above spot price.

Which I guess is slightly smarter in the sense that at least you'd physically possess them in the situation where civilization collapsed but gold was somehow more useful than food and bullets, but also much dumber in the sense that it would never be used for that purpose and best case scenario your heirs have to sell them at a loss from the stupid price you paid and another loss from having to get them assayed (worst case is of course your coins get lost or stolen), like at least gold certificates would resell close to spot.

This is a very weird post collapse civ you got there.

" me no trust the authenticity of yellow metal without chemical analysis from science priests, but me trust piece of paper from one of dozens of prewar NGO businesses"

edit for maybe dogo tax even though this isnt the Donnie thread, but just posting more sunday morning musings.

I like how economics is such voodoo you keep having people try to reinvent non circle wheels. Why yes going back to paper notes issued by dozens of NGOs is good because[insert Atlas Shrugged Time Cube speech here]

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Are there any post apocalyptic universes out there where gold is the primary medium of exchange? The two I think of off the top of my head (Walking Dead and Fallout) don't even mention gold afaik, and it's definitely not a common medium of exchange.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sheep-dodger posted:

So, Chud decides he want to do a false flag terror attack, by wearing an Antifa jacket, gets arrested and the jacket gets used by RWM to claim that he really was an Antifa-supporter?
Very 2018.

I'm not really clear why he had the Antifa jacket to be honest. Maybe he stole it or would wear it to blend in or something. the article is a classic example of how dangerous this type of reporting is though and a textbook case of projection (what RWM thinks regular journalism does: jumping to conclusions and slanting the story).

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Deptfordx posted:

That's always baffled me. If you honestly think you need gold to hedge against the collapse of civilisation, and let's not think too hard about how useful gold would actually be in that situation, why on earth would you accept anything less than buying actual physical gold you could stash close to hand?

ductile corrosion resistant metal is still gonna be useful in the case of societal collapse

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not really clear why he had the Antifa jacket to be honest. Maybe he stole it or would wear it to blend in or something. the article is a classic example of how dangerous this type of reporting is though and a textbook case of projection (what RWM thinks regular journalism does: jumping to conclusions and slanting the story).

It sounds like he was trying to gin up antifa resentment, TBH. Though he's pretty dumb if he didn't even try to scrub his social media first.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ductile corrosion resistant metal is still gonna be useful in the case of societal collapse

Useful for doing what?

And more useful than stocking up on more food, medicine, and tools?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Maybe if you still have or are redeveloping electric power, but at that point you probably have a complex economy anyway.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Right, which is why I posed the question.

In an actual 'poo poo is hosed' situation what use is it?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

PhazonLink posted:

Pretty sure the best case is civilization not collapsing and the grandkids selling gold stocks to some other old fart for half what they were bought for.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

No I mean, the most likely scenario is civilization doesn't collapse within the remaining lifetime of your average Fox-watching septuagenarian buying gold from a prepper commercial, and their heirs have to sell it in which case at least they'll get more cash for a gold certificate (assuming it's a reputable company that actually has gold and isn't a scam, a questionable assumption) than for the equivalent amount of special edition patriot coins bought at a huge markup which have to be re-assayed to be sold for their gold content.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Doubtful. Industrial uses don't require much gold, and in pre-industrial times gold was useful only as jewelry or as a unit of account by advanced states that found it useful to keep track of debt settlements.

In a post-industrial collapse survival situation it wouldn't be good for much of anything really

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
fools the lot of you

while you're all praying for death in the woods getting picked off one by one by the cannibal hunters, i'll be warlording it up with my warehouses full of aluminum, copper, and steel billets

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Near the end of last week Beck claimed he could be done with Trump forever (we'll see) after hearing that Trump was considering turning Bill Browder and other US citizens responsible for the Magnitsky Act over to Putin for "questioning" in exchange for him sending over some Russian agents. Obviously if Trump did that it would be a death sentence for them. Beck mentioned he thought Trump was maybe just kissing up to Putin when he called it an "incredible deal" during the meeting, but hearing that he was later considering doing it seems to have shaken Beck a bit. But, again, this isn't the first time he's made a claim like this, so he could be trying to play the "I'm the reasonable conservative!" card again to try and get more ratings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Near the end of last week Beck claimed he could be done with Trump forever (we'll see) after hearing that Trump was considering turning Bill Browder and other US citizens responsible for the Magnitsky Act over to Putin for "questioning" in exchange for him sending over some Russian agents. Obviously if Trump did that it would be a death sentence for them. Beck mentioned he thought Trump was maybe just kissing up to Putin when he called it an "incredible deal" during the meeting, but hearing that he was later considering doing it seems to have shaken Beck a bit. But, again, this isn't the first time he's made a claim like this, so he could be trying to play the "I'm the reasonable conservative!" card again to try and get more ratings.

He'll clap and wave as they're loaded onto the plane to Russia, like every other Republican and conservative will. There is no bottom for these people, there is no "last straw". Beck will say and do anything to keep running the grift. The man is a mercenary and a liar. If he said to my face that the sky was blue, I'd have to look up and make sure.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
This is, what, the fifth time he's done this? Even going so far as to do the bullshit Full Frontal piece. He's a loving shill and this is his periodic ratings grab. I'd believe McCain went maverick before believing Glenn Beck.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
5th?

As in 5th million?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Glenn Beck also said, with sincere tears and everything, that he was going blind wouldn't be able to see in less than a year... eight years ago. So please give him all of your money so he can see Ben Franklin's face on the $100 one last time before the end :qq:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I didn't even know anyone still listened to Glen Beck TBH. I never hear him brought up at all and I live in the conservative bastion of NE Florida.

It's been mentioned before but a lot of these RWM types REALLY resemble televangelists in their methods. No surprise to me at all that there's so much cross over between TV churches, gold hustlers, MLM shills, faith healers, military worshippers, authoritarians and the Republican party base. It's super loving creepy to me.

Weirdest thing is watching them turn on the FBI, the CIA and law enforcement. The FBI is a lot of things and deserves a lot of criticism but it's not a far left liberal institution. These people just keep running through checklists and doubling down. I can't think of one single thing they actually like. They pretend to like Jesus.

Maybe ICE, prisons and electric chairs.

Which is stranger still since those are examples of "big government" power.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 22, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fools the lot of you

while you're all praying for death in the woods getting picked off one by one by the cannibal hunters, i'll be warlording it up with my warehouses full of aluminum, copper, and steel billets

Do you think you will have a position in your future organisation as an expendable mook? I am willing to serve an internship to prove my eagerness for the job. Or to hurl myself of a cliff for you, as a demonstration of what power truly is.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't even know anyone still listened to Glen Beck TBH. I never hear him brought up at all and I live in the conservative bastion of NE Florida.

It's been mentioned before but a lot of these RWM types REALLY resemble televangelists in their methods. No surprise to me at all that there's so much cross over between TV churches, gold hustlers, MLM shills, faith healers, military worshippers, authoritarians and the Republican party base. It's super loving creepy to me.

Weirdest thing is watching them turn on the FBI, the CIA and law enforcement. The FBI is a lot of things and deserves a lot of criticism but it's not a far left liberal institution. These people just keep running through checklists and doubling down. I can't think of one single thing they actually like. They pretend to like Jesus.

Maybe ICE, prisons and electric chairs.

Which is stranger still since those are examples of "big government" power.

they like death and suffering for others. big government, small government, none of that ever actually mattered. it was just a way to justify hurting others by eliminating positive things that the government does.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

Right, which is why I posed the question.

In an actual 'poo poo is hosed' situation what use is it?

In the off chance that society literally completely breaks down it isn't useful.

First off the practical uses aren't useful anymore if nobody is manufacturing anything that actually needs it which is pretty unlikely if things are that bad. Second off this idea of "well I'll be an economic super power if I have all the gold" is meaningless if a band of raiders comes and takes it.

This is the thing that's the most stupid about the insane preppers; this idea of "I can single-handedly hold off all the ravenous hordes!!!!" thing is nonsense simply because you have to sleep some time. There is safety in numbers for a reason; all 20 dudes with knives have to do is wait until you go to sleep and guess what? All that gold and those 200 guns you own suddenly just become loot. If poo poo gets hosed enough then no amount of individual prepping will do much good. The people who will do well are those that have a tribe.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Are there any post apocalyptic universes out there where gold is the primary medium of exchange? The two I think of off the top of my head (Walking Dead and Fallout) don't even mention gold afaik, and it's definitely not a common medium of exchange.

In Fallout 2 there was definitely a mention of the New California Republic Dollar being backed by gold reserves at one point. And then in either that game or one of the ones after you have the gold reserves getting messed up in a war with the Brotherhood of Steel so that the NCR Dollar drops in value. So that by the time you encounter NCR stuff in Fallout New Vegas, it's lost value against the bottlecaps and something states NCR Dollars are now backed by the clean water supplies they control.

It amounts to gold being seen in the Fallout games as something that's fairly valuable and can be useful as a backing value for the new governments that come around, but not useful as a medium of exchange for the average people, and not very useful in the places that don't have a solid new government in place. Which is more or less true in real life too.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-long-con

it's not so much that there's a lot of crossover, it's more that they're literally the same organizations

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 23, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1020252470860271617

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh Bill, you weren't white yet.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

He's what's on Fox News Radio when I get off work most of the time, though he's usually pretty boring so I rarely mention him.

It's been said before but Beck's in a really bad place right now. He was loudly anti-Trump all the way up to election night and that lost him a ton of listeners/viewers. He did a 180 and became pro-Trump but most of the people he lost aren't going to come back since he still criticizes Trump occasionally, unlike Hannity and Rush who will never criticize Trump regardless of what he does. He had to lay off 20-30% of Blaze employees last year and supposedly the company is failing financially.

His media empire is likely crumbling and it's all due to his pretending he actually has principles and morals, pretty much what he deserves honestly. But yeah, the reason you haven't heard much about Beck in conservative circles is they all pretty much abandoned him a couple of years back for daring to oppose Trump.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, it's really weird to see how Beck, like Palin, has fallen out of the political discourse. Both of them were larger than life at one point, yet now hardly anyone ever mentions them. Not that I'm complaining of course, but still, it's surprising.

Also, re: gold. Isn't it interesting how all these massive gold companies are willing to part with what will be the most valuable commodity after the apocalypse? I mean, that's quite generous of them, isn't it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adopting racist terminology to own the libs:
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1021150186314313728

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1021384123221463040

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The fact that the President has never changed in that time period makes it even more strange!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Yawgmoft posted:

The fact that the President has never changed in that time period makes it even more strange!

Yes, the President is exactly the same person now as he was 8 years ago. Shows you how hypocritical libtards are!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Re: The gold stuff, it's really just that "gold is valuable" is so culturally ingrained, to the point that gold is the typical metaphor used for high value, and the value of it goes back so far historically, that they think it's just a flat-out objective fact and can't imagine a world where gold isn't valuable, as opposed to the US dollar which I guess is just some fickle leaf in the wind that could blow up any second now.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Also, re: gold. Isn't it interesting how all these massive gold companies are willing to part with what will be the most valuable commodity after the apocalypse? I mean, that's quite generous of them, isn't it?

"Boy these idiot companies are selling me tons of valuable gold for worthless fiat dollars! I sure am ripping them off!" I would say it's odd none of them have stopped to think about that, but if they were capable of self-reflection I guess they wouldn't be conservatives.

And although the topic is mostly over, I have heard Beck shill for companies that give you actual real physical gold for your money, he makes a point of emphasizing that in his commercials that it's not just some certificate, it's real gold you can store in your house. So at the very least, he's shilling for one company that's at least slightly honest instead of just "Here's a certificate that says you totally own some gold somewhere."

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My mom has advised me that if she and my dad should die suddenly, I should not just go to an estate sale person to handle everything ... because I first need to scour the house for all the gold that my dad has hidden in various places.

He is a very smart guy. It's baffling.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Maybe he just really liked the idea of his heir(s) needing to search for hidden treasures once he died? Kind of like having trials and tests in your will, except that the executor can't just say "ok, this is really stupid, instead of playing children's card games for everything, I'm just going to distribute this stuff randomly."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

pookel posted:

My mom has advised me that if she and my dad should die suddenly, I should not just go to an estate sale person to handle everything ... because I first need to scour the house for all the gold that my dad has hidden in various places.

He is a very smart guy. It's baffling.

Then it turns out the "gold" is just family photos and sentimental trinkets.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

My crazy great-aunts that lived together did that. Only with paper money. In small bills. And they didn't tell anybody.

My dad ended up lighting fifty bucks on fire when he was over there cleaning up and tried to toast a bagel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

"Boy these idiot companies are selling me tons of valuable gold for worthless fiat dollars! I sure am ripping them off!" I would say it's odd none of them have stopped to think about that, but if they were capable of self-reflection I guess they wouldn't be conservatives.

And although the topic is mostly over, I have heard Beck shill for companies that give you actual real physical gold for your money, he makes a point of emphasizing that in his commercials that it's not just some certificate, it's real gold you can store in your house. So at the very least, he's shilling for one company that's at least slightly honest instead of just "Here's a certificate that says you totally own some gold somewhere."

I guess when Armageddon comes you can melt down the gold and make bullets out of it. Maybe make some gold soup or something. So loving stupid. Christ, if the poo poo ever hit the fan, loving copper, aluminum, iron, lithium, cadmium, nickel and lead would be more useful than gold. I think.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I would say it's odd none of them have stopped to think about that, but if they were capable of self-reflection I guess they wouldn't be conservatives.

Well put

To contribute, here's FOX News accidentally interviewing the wrong person:

Oops! Watch Fox Hosts Realize They’re Accidentally Interviewing A Trump Critic

http://www.newshounds.us/oops_watch_fox_hosts_realize_they_re_accidentally_interviewing_a_trump_critic_072318

quote:

Watch what happened when the Fox & Friends First hosts realized they were not talking to an ICE-supporting Arizona candidate but Barbara L’Italien, from Massachusetts, who wasted no time blasting Donald Trump’s family separations as “illegal and inhumane.”

Fox & Friends First host Rob Schmitt thought he was about to talk to ICE-supporting/Maxine Waters-condemning Ann Kirkpatrick, a Democratic congressional candidate in Arizona, this morning. But somehow, he got L’Italien, running in Massachusetts with an entirely different view.

Here's Sean Spicer doing a "What about Benghazi?":

http://www.newshounds.us/sean_spicer_defends_trump_lies_because_what_about_benghazi_072218

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The epitome of white privilege is believing you can reject the claim of white privilege when it is thrust upon you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So what did Tucker Carlson have to say, if anything, about the total bunk that was his "secret insider" knowledge about the Podestas being some of the Manafort trial witnesses given partial immunity?