Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Of course. Of course.

Wow. Issue 6? Earlier than I would have guessed. Was that Claremont's first issue on the book? I know Lobdell wrote the first couple and then got kicked off or left for whatever reason.

Rochallor posted:

It was definitely something of a shock rereading Excalibur last year for the first time since I was a kid. As wonderful as Technet is, they are literally just a group whose powers are catering to as many fetishes as possible.

Joyboy's powers are like a factory for them. He turns Kitty solid (but also super fat) and hits Courtney Ross' sidekick with muscle growth, male-to-female transformation, and then a weird combination of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Wow. Issue 6? Earlier than I would have guessed. Was that Claremont's first issue on the book? I know Lobdell wrote the first couple and then got kicked off or left for whatever reason.

Joyboy's powers are like a factory for them. He turns Kitty solid (but also super fat) and hits Courtney Ross' sidekick with muscle growth, male-to-female transformation, and then a weird combination of the two.

From the recent Rocket mini:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dawgstar posted:

I think Lobdell wrote the first five issue arc with Alan Davis pencilling which was part of Heroes Return, so #6 would've been Claremont's first issue.

I'm not entirely sure why Lobdell was taken off the book because I've heard he apparently had plans to stick around and do 50 issues. Maybe it's because Claremont was coming back to Marvel after a few years doing his own thing (Sovereign Seven!) and they wanted to put him on a high-profile book.

I've heard more than once that Claremont was actually keen to leave X-Men in the mid-80s, having written it for a decade at that point, and was interested in switching to Fantastic Four instead, switching places with Byrne, who would've taken over Uncanny. Has that ever been verified or is it just a fanciful rumour?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

enigmahfc posted:

There are only 2 genders - Skrull and Skrull.

What about super skrull

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
enbie

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I see trans kids on tumblr making the two genders joke all the time. Not trying to excuse what Loeb said if it really is lovely, but have we actually determined why we think so? Like is there actually a clip people are watching of this, or even just a transcript of any kind, that we can use to determine the actual context and response here? 'Cuz to be honest I'm feeling kind of a stretch, here, from "There are only two genders: Cloak fans and Dagger fans" into "and also gender fluidity is nonsense! Binary biologies or bust! Have you checked out these TERF pamphlets I have, yet?"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
pretty sure the idea is that those are the kind of jokes trans/non-binary/generally queer kids get to make due to it being a sarcastic jab at the gender binary and not the kind of jokes an old white cisgender dude gets to make while trying and failing to sound "with it"

It's not bigoted just ignorant and embarrassing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

I see trans kids on tumblr making the two genders joke all the time. Not trying to excuse what Loeb said if it really is lovely, but have we actually determined why we think so? Like is there actually a clip people are watching of this, or even just a transcript of any kind, that we can use to determine the actual context and response here? 'Cuz to be honest I'm feeling kind of a stretch, here, from "There are only two genders: Cloak fans and Dagger fans" into "and also gender fluidity is nonsense! Binary biologies or bust! Have you checked out these TERF pamphlets I have, yet?"

like, ill admit that that was the only tweet i saw on the subject, but lets not immediately pull out the black people can use the n-word so why cant we bullshit. people need to stay in their fuckin lane

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Honest question: is that the comparison here? The two genders joke is comparable (or at least kind of similar) to saying the n-word in jest?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BrianWilly posted:

Jesus Christ.

Every time man

Someone’s got to be that guy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh bw i cant remember if youre a minority of some sort so im gonna try and be nice about this

obviously its not comparable in how bad it is, but its still a person outside a marginalized group appropriating insider language in a way that is offensive to the marginalized group, without any thought as to whether it was appropriate for them to do so in the first place and most likely without caring if it is even if they are told so

e: i need to start an xls of who is a minority in here so i can remember who i should and should not be yelling at lol

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

tbh bw i cant remember if youre a minority of some sort so im gonna try and be nice about this

obviously its not comparable in how bad it is, but its still a person outside a marginalized group appropriating insider language in a way that is offensive to the marginalized group, without any thought as to whether it was appropriate for them to do so in the first place and most likely without caring if it is even if they are told so

e: i need to start an xls of who is a minority in here so i can remember who i should and should not be yelling at lol

I'm a minority of a minority cuz I'm a half-breed. Just an fyi

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

lmao

pubic works project posted:

I'm a minority of a minority cuz I'm a half-breed. Just an fyi

I'm also mixed but I extremely pass for white and don't do a lot to stop this so I'll still take a yelling if I deserve it.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Gotta keep those gates!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

One of my grandparents was Irish or something and I guess they used to be slaves, so I think that means I'm allowed to use the n-word.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't mean to suggest that the two...things?...are comparably bad or that it would even matter if they are ('cuz playing oppression Olympics is obvs the most super funnest thing to do in the world ever). I'm gay and Asian and just for the record Loeb could get bent for all I care, but it genuinely just never occurred to me that the two genders joke is appropriating someone's issues because the communities I'm involved in just...kinda toss it out there all the time for memes and giggles, specifically in mockery of the gender binary, in response to the uptight exclusionists who keep maintaining that there are only two genders.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrianWilly posted:

I don't mean to suggest that the two...things?...are comparably bad or that it would even matter if they are ('cuz playing oppression Olympics is obvs the most super funnest thing to do in the world ever). I'm gay and Asian and just for the record Loeb could get bent for all I care, but it genuinely just never occurred to me that the two genders joke is appropriating someone's issues because the communities I'm involved in just...kinda toss it out there all the time for memes and giggles, specifically in response to the uptight exclusionists who keep maintaining that there are only two genders.

This is how I have always seen the joke used.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only two genders are myself and Site. The rest of you aren't genders.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

I don't mean to suggest that the two...things?...are comparably bad or that it would even matter if they are ('cuz playing oppression Olympics is obvs the most super funnest thing to do in the world ever). I'm gay and Asian and just for the record Loeb could get bent for all I care, but it genuinely just never occurred to me that the two genders joke is appropriating someone's issues because the communities I'm involved in just...kinda toss it out there all the time for memes and giggles, specifically in mockery of the gender binary, in response to the uptight exclusionists who keep maintaining that there are only two genders.

yeah i think those jokes are great and i share em with my friends all the time, but they're also jokes that are created and shared by...other queer people??? is jeph loeb a trans/nb person? any form of queer?

like i feel like when its appropriated by outside parties, especially white men, and flagrantly thrown around for jokes without regard to whether the group being used as the butt of jokes might not find it funny, that that changes whether its cool to make the joke should be an obvious point here

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Did Silver Surfer end after Slott left the book?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I guess I missed the solicit, but I'm writing best Spider-Man, the Emissary of Hell, with comics' best boy Sheldon Vella in this book.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I went to college with Chelsea Cain, and although I haven't had much contact with her since, I can tell y'all she's a super-great nice person.

(Just in case you were wondering.) :3:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why is Spider-Man in hell :ohdear:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I guess I missed the solicit, but I'm writing best Spider-Man, the Emissary of Hell, with comics' best boy Sheldon Vella in this book.

gently caress yes, inject that poo poo into my veins.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Got dang, Runaways continues to be such a great book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

drat, gratz on all the work!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

site posted:

Don't you read the Bugle?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

That's what you get when you sell your marriage to the devil. :colbert:

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

site posted:

Turns out callously maiming petty thieves is actually worse than knocking over a 7-11.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
October solicits

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, I didn't know Zdarsky's Spectacular Spider-Man run was ending. That's a bummer.

On the other hand

:)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The amount of Spider-Man books coming out in October is insane. Like, more spidey u books than the the rest of whats being put out combined it feels like. The redesign of spiderlings costume on the spider-girls variant specifically so you can see the cleavage of a teenage girl is pretty gross too

Wasp and Shuri though

site fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 24, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Infinity Wars looks loving confusing to me.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm genuinely surprised they aren't shunting off Gwen to 616 immediately.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Even Tsum Tsum Spider-Man gets to join in on the Spider-geddon fun! :kimchi:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm genuinely surprised they aren't shunting off Gwen to 616 immediately.

Yeah i figured that was the plan since they just had Latour do a The End arc for spidergwen

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

The amount of Spider-Man books coming out in October is insane. Like, more spidey u books than the the rest of whats being put out combined it feels like. The redesign of spiderlings costume on the spider-girls variant specifically so you can see the cleavage of a teenage girl is pretty gross too

pubic works project posted:

Infinity Wars looks loving confusing to me.

I generally don't look through solicits so it was kinda shocking how front-loaded it was just with alternate versions of heroes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

site posted:

Yeah i figured that was the plan since they just had Latour do a The End arc for spidergwen

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed that ending too, even if the rest of the series was a bit confusing and kinda listless to me.

Especially the gag about how much merch Gwen has. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

So, they're just giving you all the best Spider-Men? Your two should team up because punk and giant robots actually go hand in hand.