Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

AceOfFlames posted:

I was quite frustrated by The Gateway since the content seemed pretty thin compared to something like Last Podcast On The Left but I think the final episode made it all worth it.

Agreed with your take and spoiler. The early bit where she gives her opinion of Jim Jones also gave me the shivers in the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just binged The Gateway and it honestly made me angry. She wasn't loving abused, at least not with a satanic cult or what the gently caress ever. God that woman and her methods disgust me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What are the good podcasts that go through a band's discography album by album? I already know about the two Scott Aukerman/Adam Scott ones

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What are the good podcasts that go through a band's discography album by album? I already know about the two Scott Aukerman/Adam Scott ones

"Leave that thing alone" (Rush)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Are there any podcasts that focus on pointing out the insane illegal/unethical poo poo in romcoms/Hallmark movies/etc like how shows like Breaking Mayberry break down Andy Griffith? There has to be one right? Everyone knows how nuts they are, someone had to make a podcast for it.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

The guys from duckfeed.tv did an album by album podcast about REM:

http://www.fileunderwater.net/about

I haven't actually listened to it yet but the rest of their shows on the network are pretty good so its worth giving a shot.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Dissect goes through an album song by song. Kendrick, Kanye, Frank ocean so far

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

2nd dissect, 1st 2 seasons are best.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I just found a pretty new Podcast produced by Seeker (Discovery) called Bad Science. They "pair a comedian with a scientist, to break down the scientifically inaccurate elements of popular movies and TV shows." 11 episodes so far and already had some pretty good guests like Reggie Watts, Doug Benson, Jessica McKenna, Jon Gabrus. All the scientists guests were very interesting as well with lots of engaging conversations and anecdotes from their field of work.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 17, 2018

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I don't usually listen to podcasts, but lately I've been listening to The Last Podcast on the Left at the gym. Their episodes on serial killers are particularly enjoyable. What other similar podcasts should I check out?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spermando posted:

I don't usually listen to podcasts, but lately I've been listening to The Last Podcast on the Left at the gym. Their episodes on serial killers are particularly enjoyable. What other similar podcasts should I check out?

My Favorite Murder for more killers, Astonishing Legends for more supernatural stuff.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

not really a podcast, but anyone know what happened to the ben heck show? I thought I check out some new episodes over the weekend, but it's all just his aides, and he's not doing anything show-like anymore? lame.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Yeah the same thing happened to me actually, apparently he’s moving on. They’ve got a new host lined up but I think everyone else is staying.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Spermando posted:

Casefile is very serious, but very good about true crime, if you can acclimatize to the Australian accent. LPOTL cults and serial killers was 100% my gateway into the true crime canon.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any other great Australian podcasts I should be listening to? The thicker/weirder the accent the better.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Are there any other great Australian podcasts I should be listening to? The thicker/weirder the accent the better.

Do you listen to any of Wil Anderson's podcasts?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve only heard him on the Dollop, didn’t occur to me to look into his work further, thanks!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Canadian True Crime is weirdly from an Aussie expat and I enjoy hearing her saying Québécois French proper names.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Action Boyz is ruining me, not just for other movie-themed podcasts, but all podcasts in general. I could listen to the three of them talk about whatever, forever.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

there was the excellent film podcast Worst Idea of all Time podcast where they watched and reviewed the same movie every week for a year (Grown Ups 2, Sex and the City 2 and that Zac Efron DJ one I forgot the name of). They're from New Zealand but it's basically the same thing with a dumber accent.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wrestlepig posted:

there was the excellent film podcast Worst Idea of all Time podcast where they watched and reviewed the same movie every week for a year (Grown Ups 2, Sex and the City 2 and that Zac Efron DJ one I forgot the name of). They're from New Zealand but it's basically the same thing with a dumber accent.

Thanks I had heard of that but completely forgot about it.

On that note, anyone know any other podcasts with great accents? I was looking up cockney accents in podcasting and found one called We’re Not Racist and We Love Gays but they ended it and I couldn’t find the files. :smith:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

sexpig by night posted:

Are there any podcasts that focus on pointing out the insane illegal/unethical poo poo in romcoms/Hallmark movies/etc like how shows like Breaking Mayberry break down Andy Griffith? There has to be one right? Everyone knows how nuts they are, someone had to make a podcast for it.

We Hate Movies has done some Lifetime films that made for hilarious discussion. Episode 74: Invisible Child and Episode 216: Cyberseduction: His Secret Life.

Weird Sandwich posted:

The guys from duckfeed.tv did an album by album podcast about REM:

http://www.fileunderwater.net/about

I haven't actually listened to it yet but the rest of their shows on the network are pretty good so its worth giving a shot.

I gave it a listen and can highly recommend. Gary and Kole do an excellent job going through the band’s history. I went in knowing nothing about REM and got good info about where to start listening.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We Hate Movies has done some Lifetime films that made for hilarious discussion. Episode 74: Invisible Child and Episode 216: Cyberseduction: His Secret Life.

Cyberseduction is a gem of a Lifetime movie, we had a real good time riffing on it back in the day.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Snowy posted:

Free To A Good Home oscillates between being a good comedy podcast about ads on Craigslist/Gumtree/etc. and a loving tribute to a now-closed Melbourne dinner theater restaurant. Their website has been multiple different kinds of defunct over the years now, so it may be kind of a chore to find it, but Ben Jenkins' accent makes it all worth it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

A tweet drew my attention to My Favorite Murder's episode Coincidence Island but the profanity before they even got into the story put me off of the whole thing. Any suggestions for good podcasts that are informative, not NPR and not filled with cursing?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TV Zombie posted:

A tweet drew my attention to My Favorite Murder's episode Coincidence Island but the profanity before they even got into the story put me off of the whole thing. Any suggestions for good podcasts that are informative, not NPR and not filled with cursing?

Cum Town

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

BBC4 has a bunch of good podcasts that are informative, not NPR, and are not filled with cursing.

ratcreeps
Jul 13, 2017
Somebody Somewhere is a well produced one on the unsolved murder of prosecutor Tom Wales in 2001. Someone hid out in his backyard and shot him through the window. It's been back in the news recently too and they covered that in real time

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Finished In the Dark by APM Media. Season 1 and Season 2. Listened to Serial. Now I am looking for more, really loved In The Dark (if you haven't its an amazing listen). I recently subscribed to Strange Matters and Thinking Sideways for the "weird" mysteries. Need some recommendations please.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It pains me to say this because it's the first podcast I ever subscribed to, but I'm pretty close to giving up on How Was Your Week. Hollywood's changed Julie for the worse. On one recent episode, she admitted that because of fear of unemployment in the industry, she's not going to keep doing the kind of stuff that got her into hot water before Difficult People. Part of her charm was that Joan Rivers-like quality of saying things about celebrities that got people riled up and not apologizing for it (Pauley Perrette and Zendaya, to name a couple of cases), so hearing her apologize for a tame joke she made about Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson made me sad. Also, some of her segments are just reading things from online, like responses to her question in a private Facebook group about naughty things basset hounds have done to their owners, or responses that Jon Lovitz tweeted to people who challenged him on the latest Scarlett Johansson scandal. Less of that, more quirky thoughts about weird and esoteric topics.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flaggy posted:

Finished In the Dark by APM Media. Season 1 and Season 2. Listened to Serial. Now I am looking for more, really loved In The Dark (if you haven't its an amazing listen). I recently subscribed to Strange Matters and Thinking Sideways for the "weird" mysteries. Need some recommendations please.

Different kind of True Crime, but Slow Burn is about the aspects of Watergate that aren't widely known, and it's really interesting.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I listened to Up And Vanished and I Googled something about someone who contributed to the podcast and stumbled upon the Reddit and holy poo poo the toxicity is over the loving top. Admittedly the guy who made it seems like a bit of a douchebag who can't take criticism but because of the nature of the case the podcast covered, I could see a lot of the negative stuff about him being a bit of a circle jerk from a small group of people. I googled some of the alleged bad poo poo about him and can't find anything.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Edit: This post is vague because I don't want to spoil anything as the podcast was done in real time and honestly that makes it that much more of a mindfuck.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 24, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I just can’t stand the guy’s speech patterns and ads, those are enough to hate the guy imo.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
You should listen to Done Disappeared by John David Booter, produced by John David Booter, music by John David Booter. It's a pretty good parody of all these true crime podcasts. Specially the ads.

I listened to Up and Vanished when it came out and I can understand a lot of the criticism. If I remember correctly, he doesn't really have the background for the kind of investigation that went on, granted I don't think he expected to go the way it went. But I also agree, his speech patterns are definitely off-putting.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I get all that and that's valid, I'm talking about poo poo like he slept with a fan and that's why he and his wife got divorced, or the idea that him getting mad at a particular interviewee wasn't justified. She was downplaying her ex boyfriend burning a body and making it all about her and him while almost completely dehumanizing the victim for fucks sake. I wanted to choke her at that point, too.

There was and is plenty of valid criticism but aspects of it seemed overblown, misguided, or possibly made up on the fan thing.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

You should listen to Done Disappeared by John David Booter, produced by John David Booter, music by John David Booter. It's a pretty good parody of all these true crime podcasts. Specially the ads.

I listened to Up and Vanished when it came out and I can understand a lot of the criticism. If I remember correctly, he doesn't really have the background for the kind of investigation that went on, granted I don't think he expected to go the way it went. But I also agree, his speech patterns are definitely off-putting.

I just burned through the first 3 episodes. Granted they are short, but if you are not listening to this podcast, do yourself a favor and download all of it immediately. This post brought to you by John David Booter.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

At the suggestion of John David Booter, and others, I downloaded Done Disappeared by John David Booter and I must say that this is the finest work I've seen from John David Booter yet. It was quite funny and hit a lot of the same notes as This Sounds Serious (not by John David Booter), but is definitely it's own unique thing.

This post brought to you by Hello Fresh

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I used to listen to a podcast that kind of gathered up the best material from other podcasts into one long file. It had a ton of loveline, among other podcasts. Does anyone know what podcast I'm talking about?

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
There was This Year Collection but that stopped a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

That's it, thank you. Too bad he stopped making them, but it's nice to listen to classic Loveline with all the good bits put together.