Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Heavy_D posted:

Especially this week while Kermode was busy melting down about Mamma Mia...

I just remember the Sex and the City 2 review where Mark ends up thumping on the table singing The Internationale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc

That was amazing.

I know he has a few fanboyish blind-spots, and he maintains that Minions is one of the funniest movies of the last few years, but I always use Kermode as an acid test for a movie I'm on the fence about seeing.

Also big respect to him during his Infinity War review basically admitting that maybe he's too old-fashioned for what mainstream cinema has become. Rare to see that lack of ego with critics.

He's got a good doc series just started on iPlayer which looks at moviemaking conventions genre-by-genre. Recommended.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I don't watch British programs anymore because Virgin Media and UKTV couldn't get their poo poo together.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Matinee posted:

He's got a good doc series just started on iPlayer which looks at moviemaking conventions genre-by-genre. Recommended.

The first episode is on rom-coms and it's fantastic. Even his devoted love for Splash is infectious. I think I have family members I don't love as much as Mark loves that movie.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Looks like the lead writers Kim Newman, but he's a bit less photogenic than Kermode so doesn't get his name all over it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mainly know Kim from horror documentaries, but I really like him. Glad to have him behind the scenes. Who knew I'd have a craving to watch Splash again? I don't think I've ever watched it as an adult, so should be fun.

e: Knew Splash Too existed and remember it being poorer, didn't know it was a TV movie though. The more you know.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 23, 2018

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kermode was a great watch, added a few of them to my queue.

Agree with the above - always loved him as a reviewer who a) I can trust I’ll enjoy what he recommends and b) knows when he’s the outlier and doesn’t trash a film just because it’s not to his taste.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Kermode and Newman are old chums because they both got started as film critics around the same time. I saw a video from a few years ago where Kermode had him on and they chatted about the first issue of the Anno Dracula comic and Newman's enduring refusal to watch Penny Dreadful because he claims there was an Anno Dracula tv series in the pipeline but it was aborted when Penny Dreadful was announced.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Dead Goon posted:

I don't watch British programs anymore because Virgin Media and UKTV couldn't get their poo poo together.

Some of them are on Freeview, like Dave and Drama. I got rid of Virgin a few years ago and got a Freeview box that can record stuff. I don't miss it at all.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The first episode is on rom-coms and it's fantastic. Even his devoted love for Splash is infectious. I think I have family members I don't love as much as Mark loves that movie.

It's a really interesting show. Mark is such a charming presenter. He manages to be quite cynical at times without being an arsehole, and I share in his weird enthusiasm for Splash.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
All Kermode's audio books are great for various reasons, be it his justifications for professional criticism, evangelization for proper projectionists, or how he hosed up his back with Mr Niet.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'll go against the grain a bit to say I like him but sometimes find him utterly frustrating as a critic. For someone who has written academic books he can get annoyingly surface-level sometimes and miss the point or can be oddly dismissive. And his rants are boring, so there.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Been trying to remember/find the name of a kids programme I watched around the mid-80s, but am struggling, partly due to the lack of details I can recollect. It was on either Children's BBC or the ITV equivalent, and I remember it was one of my go-to shows for a while along with Mysterious Cities of Gold.

It was live action, and was about some kids who had an old bus or something similar in a workshop/garage type place and I think the overarching plot of the series was their efforts to get the thing working. There may have been something special about it, like it could fly or something, or it had some sentimental significance. I also remember a rousing "come on, let's get this poo poo done" scene, leading to progress and possibly accompanied by a song.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Been trying to remember/find the name of a kids programme I watched around the mid-80s, but am struggling, partly due to the lack of details I can recollect. It was on either Children's BBC or the ITV equivalent, and I remember it was one of my go-to shows for a while along with Mysterious Cities of Gold.

It was live action, and was about some kids who had an old bus or something similar in a workshop/garage type place and I think the overarching plot of the series was their efforts to get the thing working. There may have been something special about it, like it could fly or something, or it had some sentimental significance. I also remember a rousing "come on, let's get this poo poo done" scene, leading to progress and possibly accompanied by a song.

That sounds bizarrely like one of the subplots in the weird live action film Thomas and the Magic Railroad. Doesn’t fit the time (came out in 2000) or the vehicle (a train) or it being just kids (its kids and an adult) OR it being a series (its a film) but just in case...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fatty posted:

Looks like the lead writers Kim Newman, but he's a bit less photogenic than Kermode so doesn't get his name all over it.

Kermode photogenic? Dude looks like a Dishonored character.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Akuma posted:

That sounds bizarrely like one of the subplots in the weird live action film Thomas and the Magic Railroad. Doesn’t fit the time (came out in 2000) or the vehicle (a train) or it being just kids (its kids and an adult) OR it being a series (its a film) but just in case...

There may well have been adult involved in this programme helping the kids, but it was definitely in the 80s and I'm almost 100% sure it was a programme with multiple episodes and the vehicle was in the bus category.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Come_the_Double_Deckers

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's what I would say as well, though that was early 70s

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Hmm, that ticks some of the boxes but I don't think it's the one. Reading some summaries it looks like the bus is their base but then they go on unrelated escapades, whereas in the one I'm thinking of the bus itself was something of a project to get it working. Also I think the bus was smaller than your classic London double decker.

It's also the wrong time period, but repeats could always explain that one.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Been having a good look this morning - hey, it's not like I have a business to run - and it may be the first part of this, as each part is split into 4 episodes. It's certainly the closest I have come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Poopsnagle%27s_Steam_Zeppelin

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

What was the name of the kids show - almost entirely sure it was CBBC in the early 90s - that was about a gang of kids trying to fake an alien landing to (I think) scare a neighbour who was being a bastard to them for some reason. There were several episodes where they had to raise money to buy a genuine meteorite so it would all appear real, but when they staged the alien landing in the final episode it was a crap wobbly robot that the props department had clearly knocked up for 40 quid.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Matinee posted:

What was the name of the kids show - almost entirely sure it was CBBC in the early 90s - that was about a gang of kids trying to fake an alien landing to (I think) scare a neighbour who was being a bastard to them for some reason. There were several episodes where they had to raise money to buy a genuine meteorite so it would all appear real, but when they staged the alien landing in the final episode it was a crap wobbly robot that the props department had clearly knocked up for 40 quid.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Z_and_the_Penguin_from_Mars

Agent Z and the Penguin from Mars. Based off a series of books I loved when I was young. The alien looked crap because it was an animatronic penguin the kids stole from a mall and stuck poo poo to to make it look alien. In the original book, they steal an actual penguin from the zoo.

Daedo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 24, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Matinee posted:

I was just thinking about that yesterday! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Z_and_the_Penguin_from_Mars

It's how I learned what a "pompous wazzock" was.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You guys got me thinking about childhood shows in particular the Demon Headmaster and now I'm sad cause I'm never going to get to see it again as a kid

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I was just thinking about that yesterday! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Z_and_the_Penguin_from_Mars

It's how I learned what a "pompous wazzock" was.

I went to school with someone who was in this, and also someone who ended up in Emmerdale

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I went to school with someone who was in this, and also someone who ended up in Emmerdale

I went to school with the Slytherin Seeker from the first Harry Potter film. Checkmate, sir.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rarity posted:

I went to school with the Slytherin Seeker from the first Harry Potter film. Checkmate, sir.

keep the Harry Potter takes in the UKMT where they belong

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

One of the children's shows I remember fondly, that also scared the heck out of me was Children of the dog star.

That metallic spinning flower thing used to give me nightmares.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I fought Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley) in a lightsaber duel during the finale of my school play production of The Wind In The Willows.

Good luck beating that, UKTV goons.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

ineptmule posted:

I fought Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley) in a lightsaber duel during the finale of my school play production of The Wind In The Willows.

Good luck beating that, UKTV goons.

Did you win?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I was Badger, she was the Chief Weasel. I had plot armour.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
One of my friends from uni played young Peter Pettigrew (because out of all the people at his school he looked the most like Timothy Spall, poor guy).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rarity posted:

I remember him from The Ghost Hunter.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The_Doctor posted:

I remember him from The Ghost Hunter.

According to IMDB he was also the lead in Sir Gadabout, the Worst Knight in the World. I have no idea :confused:

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Rarity posted:

You guys got me thinking about childhood shows in particular the Demon Headmaster
He was Home Secretary for a while in the last labour government.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Heavy_D posted:

Especially this week while Kermode was busy melting down about Mamma Mia...

I saw this tonight and had a similar reaction to Kermode. Really not my sort of thing usually, but Christ, what a delightful, delightful movie. Make sure you stay til the very end for one of the best post-credits scenes I've ever seen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I avoided the first film as I really thought it wouldn’t be for me, but ended up seeing the stage show and enjoyed it quite a lot. Might have to give both films a whirl now.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Matinee posted:

I saw this tonight and had a similar reaction to Kermode. Really not my sort of thing usually, but Christ, what a delightful, delightful movie. Make sure you stay til the very end for one of the best post-credits scenes I've ever seen.

Is it actually bearable to sit through? I haven’t seen the first one. Haven’t they run out of good ABBA songs to use?

My mum would be ridiculously happy if I agreed to see this at the cinema with her.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Just go and take your mum and stop being a goon Jesus Christ

Why is Virgin Media’s new corporate strategy to run a pay TV network with no channels?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

Is it actually bearable to sit through? I haven’t seen the first one. Haven’t they run out of good ABBA songs to use?

My mum would be ridiculously happy if I agreed to see this at the cinema with her.

I can imagine it being unbearable if you're some soulless husk who somehow hates ABBA. They've still got plenty of good songs they use, and they use some of the big hits at key moments. Though the first one was definitely the Greatest Hits more so than this one. I normally loathe most musicals - jukebox musicals especially - but its a bunch of great actors having a great time and singing ABBA. Marvellous.

It's a silly, happy, emotional and fun film that you should definitely treat your mum to :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Being a TV company is hard. Much easier to just be a fibre internet company.