Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Linear Zoetrope posted:

7) Give me a pony

I'm sure there's a mod for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

6) Show institution spread speed and and estimated completion time in the province tooltip when in institution map mode so I can tell at a glance how quickly an institution will spread.

Also something like "without natural growth you would need to develop x times to produce this institution in this province"

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes! Maybe even, it would cost us about x amount of monarch points too, assuming you're developing all three types evenly.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

7) Give me a pony
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169939305

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tales from Multiplayer: Chapter 1

credit to Mountaineer from the discord

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

New Dev Diary, balance changes

Seriously other than the nerf to Religious ideas and TCs now being even more comically broken than before they're good changes. But since TCs were my biggest concern about game balance already it's slightly depressing that they seem to be getting multiple buffs from their already overpowered state.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Not sure how I feel about formables forming formables silliness being cut out. Yeah it is silly, but does it really have negative repercussions on anyone’s experience if I actually go through all the trouble to turn Ottomans into Yuan?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

quote:

Your maximum number of States is now far more important: If you hold more territories than your state limit, you will face a yearly corruption penalty, currently +0.02 per territory (not per province). For example, if you have a State Limit of 15, you can have up to 15 States AND up to 15 Territories without penalty. Overseas Colonial Regions and Trade Charter Companies are exempt from this calculation. This corruption hit is halved in Easy mode, and entirely absent in Very Easy. Additionally sending Missionaries and cultural conversion are not possible in Territories. You must make them a state to do these.

:psyduck: This seems extremely harsh if you're trying to blob. Or, god forbid, WC.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

skasion posted:

Not sure how I feel about formables forming formables silliness being cut out. Yeah it is silly, but does it really have negative repercussions on anyone’s experience if I actually go through all the trouble to turn Ottomans into Yuan?

I'm a "always play optimally" kind of person and the existince of these sorts of strategies makes me less able to enjoy the game because I always have this voice in my head telling me that I should be culture shifting so I can form Mughals or whatever. It's good to have some restrictions on this.

Elman posted:

:psyduck: This seems extremely harsh if you're trying to blob. Or, god forbid, WC.

I think that they're big on getting you to have larger vassals now.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Does this accomplish that? Trade Companies are exempt, so if you're in Asia you're hosed, while if you're in Europe it's really not that big of a deal.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elman posted:

Yes it is, and I love it

Now if the state limit wasn't so drat high this might actually have some teeth...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Elman posted:

Does this accomplish that? Trade Companies are exempt, so if you're in Asia you're hosed, while if you're in Europe it's really not that big of a deal.

Well yeah ignoring the fact that TCs are special magical snowflake provinces that harness the unique power of the continent of Europe in order to generate huge amounts of income at virtually no cost.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Their methodology is all stick and no carrot. It would be nice if they made vassals a little more appealing instead. With vassals still taking up your diplomatic relations slots and generally not pulling their weight, they've created a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Instead of making non-vassal play much more punishing, they should encourage vassal play in other ways. Maybe have certain government systems/reforms give "free" vassals or something. Like, a give a monarchy with heavy feudalism a free vassal or two before they take up relations slots but reduced absolutism or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Considering the vast number of utter poo poo estates that barely break twenty dev or even a two digit number. :wtc:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They give more force limits now!

And yeah the existence of total garbage map areas with like 20 dev does gently caress with this system a lot. Those regions are going to be prime candidates for getting handed over to a vassal I guess?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

RabidWeasel posted:

They give more force limits now!

And yeah the existence of total garbage map areas with like 20 dev does gently caress with this system a lot. Those regions are going to be prime candidates for getting handed over to a vassal I guess?

That's the point.
Trade companies are only ignored because to use them as trade company provinces you have to not state them so either you would be maxing out really fast on your max allowed territories or you would just be stating everything anyway since they are high development provinces. The difference becomes that you get slapped with the -100% tax and manpower modifiers at the very least.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 24, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

having to state land to convert it feels weird and wrong

also the "end game tags" thing seems to be entirely about preventing fun

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You can still convert in subject land. If you have 2 vassals you have trippled the amount of states and territories you can have.
It also inadvertently buffs the Hungarian idea.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sounds like +dip relations is gonna be the name of the game going forwards

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I guess trade companies are getting sorta nerfed a bit by not being able to convert in territories? You'll have to state the province now if you want to convert it before handing it off to a TC, which is a lot of adm down the drain. Which is good, since it's silly how easy the -100% missionary strength is to circumvent.

Also I played a Portugal game recently, and TCs definitely felt too strong. e: Although, hilariously enough, the -100% sailors modifier of all things gave me some trouble lategame. But that could have been fixed with buildings if I had seen it coming, which I definitely didn't.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 24, 2018

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the missionary thing sucks but blobbing gets you mad cash and i imagine paying down corruption will just be a small dent in that

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Nice anti-fun patch they've got going there. Bonus points for using the lovely corruption mechanic to prevent game play.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Considering how much WC type people complain about endless money in the late game this seems like exactly the kind of change that should suit them.

I agree that taking out the tag switching seems kinda needless though. In MP if someone can get to the point of doing big switches like that they as well as deserve the bonus anyway because everyone else has already hosed up at that point. And in singleplayer, why not?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

Trade companies are only ignored because to use them as trade company provinces you have to not state them so either you would be maxing out really fast on your max allowed territories or you would just be stating everything anyway since they are high development provinces. The difference becomes that you get slapped with the -100% tax and manpower modifiers at the very least.

TC provinces don't count for the corruption penalty though:

quote:

If you hold more territories than your state limit, you will face a yearly corruption penalty, currently +0.02 per territory (not per province). For example, if you have a State Limit of 15, you can have up to 15 States AND up to 15 Territories without penalty. Overseas Colonial Regions and Trade Charter Companies are exempt from this calculation.

So you can have every single TC province owned with no penalty regardless of your state limit or the number of territories you have. As long as you're smart enough to have your capital in ~glorious land of magical administrative powers Europe~

TCs are probably the most inherently broken single mechanic in the game for multiple reasons and you keep making them worse.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

TC provinces don't count for the corruption penalty though:

Yes? That's literally what I said, the guy asked why we made them not count for it. (e: I just realized the post somehow incorrectly quoted you, e2: I donno anymore probably was right. Been answering so many questions everywhere today)
Or do you think that if you don't make them a TC you will avoid the penalty? No you won't you need to put every single province you have in the area to the TC or you get slapped.

RabidWeasel posted:

most inherently broken single mechanic in the game

Didn't you literally say that a few pages ago about another feature?
An actually inherently broken feature is Manchu Banners. Before we mentioned TC's people were asking for a single reason to use TC's, now everyone is saying they were broken since release. smdh.
Damned if you do damned if you don't. Either way I disagree that they are inherently broken.

I would love to hear one of your many reasons why they are broken previously though so they can be addressed.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 24, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

I would love to hear one of your many reasons why they are broken previously though so they can be addressed.
I wouldnt say that they are "broken" in the way you would define broken. I also do not know what RabidWeasel's justification is.
My two cents on the subject is that I think they are, perhaps, designed suboptimally? A lot of people really hate that if your capital is in Asia, no matter where in Asia that your capital is, you cannot do TCs anywhere in Asia. Capital in Kamchatka? No TCs anywhere in Asia. Capital in Mecca? No TCs anywhere in Asia. I think they would work a lot better if you could not do them in your home trade region but otherwise they are fair game. They may have some other minor quibbles but that one thing is a big pain in the rear end I particularly dislike.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That would lead to Indians setting up TCs in all the Indian nodes where they have any territorial cores though, it could get messy real quick. Maybe if it was banned to set up TCs in your own node or any node directly connected to it?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I wouldnt say that they are "broken" in the way you would define broken. I also do not know what RabidWeasel's justification is.
My two cents on the subject is that I think they are, perhaps, designed suboptimally? A lot of people really hate that if your capital is in Asia, no matter where in Asia that your capital is, you cannot do TCs anywhere in Asia. Capital in Kamchatka? No TCs anywhere in Asia. Capital in Mecca? No TCs anywhere in Asia. I think they would work a lot better if you could not do them in your home trade region but otherwise they are fair game. They may have some other minor quibbles but that one thing is a big pain in the rear end I particularly dislike.

Yeah no I agree that is boring and bad but it's an easy way to make sure to prevent other broken stuff. But yeah I am pretty sure when people are throwing around the word broken they mean more as in "infinite amount of money" sort of broken since it is usually done in conjunction with not counting trade company areas for corruption.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

skasion posted:

That would lead to Indians setting up TCs in all the Indian nodes where they have any territorial cores though, it could get messy real quick. Maybe if it was banned to set up TCs in your own node or any node directly connected to it?

Yeah but this still won't help you if you're somewhere too far upstream, Indonesia for example. You're not gonna be able to steer any of that TC money back home because the entire trade system is (literally) eurocentric.

I'm not sure there's a good way to fix that without revamping the entire trade system, which probably won't happen.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

It's not complicated, they give you a rediculous amount of money and revolt less then normal territories in exchange for losing a miminal amount of manpower and sailors from them, and their value is so disproportionate that the gold standard for "how do I WC" is "conquer India, make it all TCs so you have infinite money, then explode after absolutism kicks in". The fact that they need to have the bizarre not-same-continent-as-capital restriction is proof that they're broken, otherwise it would be perfectly acceptable for, say Persia, to make TCs in India and this wouldn't give them a huge, undesirable power spike (of course every Persia human player will move capital to Dagestan ASAP anyway so it doesn't matter).

Instead of having 25% of manpower, tax, trade and production you get 0% of the first two and ~ 150-200% of the latter two when you take into account increased production, bonus trade power, and removal of wrong culture / religion modifiers, and you even get a free merchant for each trade node so it doesn't even impact your ability to collect or divert trade in your home nodes in any way.

Now on top of this they also are explicitly excluded from a new balancing mechanic, so there's zero penalty to having all the TC provinces you can conquer, and they also have new buildings which allow you to gain unique benefits in TC provinces which you can't get anywhere else.

I'm using 'broken' in the sense that the break the balance of the game, not that they don't function properly.

And yeah TCs were weak back when they still had 75% autonomy and the increased goods produced only affected 'native' provinces and not the TC provinces themselves. Then they got two gargantuan buffs at the same time. Now they're getting more buffs.

I just can't get behind any game mechanic which makes it objectively the right thing to do for a huge Asian power to move their capital to the rear end end of Europe because this unlocks the almighty ability to somehow administer your provinces in a way that lets you extract a vast amount of additional value from them at no cost and at very little opportunity cost. It doesn't make sense from any perspective. This mechanic only exists to make a few parts of the world more attractive targets for European conquest; it's a way of correcting deficiencies in the general trade system and to allow historical 'trade concessions' to exist. But it's set up so it can be used in a way which bears no resemblance to this, and because it's so beneficial, encourages the player to do gamey poo poo in order to be able to take advantage of it.

Elman posted:

Yeah but this still won't help you if you're somewhere too far upstream, Indonesia for example. You're not gonna be able to steer any of that TC money back home because the entire trade system is (literally) eurocentric.

I'm not sure there's a good way to fix that without revamping the entire trade system, which probably won't happen.

Actually TCs are so incredibly good at generating trade power and value that you can just collect in each individual node and it's fine, you don't need to steer back to your home node (though it's obviously better if you can without leaking).

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 24, 2018

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I am totally on board with the corruption penalty for blobbing too much. The inability to convert territories seems awful, though. That's disastrous for nations like Russia that typically benefit from using the Religious CB to expand into heathen land. Seems like it's going to make Religious Ideas nearly useless, and Humanist Ideas nearly mandatory.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Hi it’s me, the simulationist fun-hater who loves the tag-switching change

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Soup du Jour posted:

Hi it’s me, the simulationist fun-hater who loves the tag-switching change

:hfive: sup fun hater buddy!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

It's not complicated, they give you a rediculous amount of money and revolt less then normal territories in exchange for losing a miminal amount of manpower and sailors from them

Minimal? It reduces it with 100%, you can get up to getting something by building buildings but I wouldn't say minimal. What money though as well the same applies there. Only thing unaffected is production. The goods produced bonus has pretty much disappeared since the institutions were introduced and protectorates removed.

RabidWeasel posted:

is "conquer India, make it all TCs so you have infinite money, then explode after absolutism kicks in"
You can remove make it TC and it's been the staple since release because of the really high dev and trade goods. The TC didn't change that. They just removed the infinite manpower you could had back then. If you play multiplayer one of the top three players in money are always going to be an Indian competing with a European merchant republic scumming his mechanics.

RabidWeasel posted:

150-200% of the latter two when you take into account increased production, bonus trade power

That's false, TCs don't touch production at all.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm using 'broken' in the sense that the break the balance of the game, not that they don't function properly.

Good you know the numbers things are balanced around then. I don't want to be a dick but it sure does sound like your reiterating someone's else points.

Also posting from phone so sorry for any mistakes in advance

E: Also extra, money increase from TC have only ever affected the local natives if they are primitive enough. You as European only got trade power, nothing else. The huge money increase you saw, was because you now had a piece of the pie in India or could more easily get the trade home. The balance of the money available is not affected by TCs

Groogy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 24, 2018

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I think TC would work better as a sort of "estate" that you can plop down into provinces that are not yours as long as the receiving province is owned by a nation that is behind in tech compared to you, less than say 25% of that nation's land is already in a TC (or 50% of the total provinces in the trade node?), and the province is not occupied by another country's TC (or some other conditions - I'm bad at this, it's just brainstorming). And the TC bonuses and maluses would be like estate modifiers, changing based on influence/loyalty of the TC, you could have interactions to buff / hamper them, they would give more local trade power in their area if happy or cause revolts/steal money if unhappy, have events related to their maintenance and so on.

this would prevent just straight up conquering the hell out of every coastal province from the Ivory Coast to New Zealand, late game it looks like half the world is directly controlled by either the French, English or Spanish. While these powers had of course colonial possessions spanning the whole world historically, I kind of doubt they would be the "direct" kind of province ownership you see in EU4.

this would also be pretty game-changing and is probably best left for a significant trade overhaul/EU5

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 24, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tahirovic posted:

Nice anti-fun patch they've got going there. Bonus points for using the lovely corruption mechanic to prevent game play.

Yes, this is retarded. Who seriously plays EU4 to play tall? You play to paint the map your color unless you're going for some goofy achievement.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Unless you going for WC or you get 80 territories in the 1500, you are not even going to notice it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I almost wonder whether there shouldn’t be a kind of trade post concept for colonial nations, where it starts out small but then there is the option at some point to start seriously disrupting the host country and assuming direct control.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Both the British and Dutch EICs were kind of rogue actors in the period weren’t they? It would be neat if they were a bit out of direct control yeah.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Yeah Trade Companies could be way cooler. I only have 24h on a day though. Eu5 maybe we can take lessons learned and make a lot more interesting content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

:siren: EU5 confirmed :siren: