Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Perplx posted:

I just don't see apple removing the ability to recover files, they must of moved that feature to a usb-c port, but who know.

Nope, it's all behind the T2 now. Like I said, the SSD NAND chips have no other physical connection other than to the T2.

If Apple did what you were thinking, they'd never be able to beat their chest about how awesome/great/cool/secure the T2 is.

Recovery procedures for the 2016/2017 have been surreptiously edited so that there is no mention of even the possibility of using the recovery brick / dongle for a 2018 model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

You can't recover data from a dead iPhone / iPad either, can you? Is it surprising that this is now on Macs too?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Linguica posted:

You can't recover data from a dead iPhone / iPad either, can you? Is it surprising that this is now on Macs too?

With the way things have been going, no it doesn't surprise me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Linguica posted:

Apple will spin this as a win for privacy/data security. “It shouldn’t be a problem if you’ve been making wireless time machine backups!”

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Well poo poo, my early 2016 rMB is giving me the service battery notification and it's 200 to fix.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Matt Zerella posted:

Well poo poo, my early 2016 rMB is giving me the service battery notification and it's 200 to fix.

How many cycles?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

How many cycles?

Coconut Battery is saying 124 cycles.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple will spin this as a win for privacy/data security. “It shouldn’t be a problem if you’ve been making wireless time machine backups!”

As if storing things online is secure

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

did you get AppleCare?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

did you get AppleCare?

I forgot, whomp whomp.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Applecare for the 12" Macbook is $250, right? Sounds like you're still coming out ahead if all you ever need is a battery replacement.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do putting stickers and decals on my MacBook Pro void my apple care?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Housh posted:

Do putting stickers and decals on my MacBook Pro void my apple care?

No but it does void your (insert hipster joke here).

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Starbucks Gold Card

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

AARP membership

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Tickets to see Neutral Milk Hotel

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am perfectly content regarding accessing data on the logic boards. I don’t know why this would bother anyone, there are a dozen good and easy methods you should be doing for backups no matter what.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Housh posted:

Starbucks Gold Card

If my intra-job time has taught me anything it's that putting a decal or sticker on your mac makes you automatically eligible for a Starbucks gold card.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

got any sevens posted:

do you know what time machine is

and have you heard of encryption?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Subliminal Ninja posted:

Tickets to see Neutral Milk Hotel

:mmmhmm:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

got any sevens posted:

I store my time machine backups on my handy Apple offline time machine storage. Sure would be a shame if they stopped making these...

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Matt Zerella posted:

Coconut Battery is saying 124 cycles.

They might replace it because it seems defective, battery are suppose to be good for 1000 cycles.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Perplx posted:

They might replace it because it seems defective, battery are suppose to be good for 1000 cycles.

Yeah, make sure you point out the battery cycle info and time you’ve had it/your usage pattern. They’ll most likely check that anyway, but it’s best to mention it in case they go to treat it like a normal battery replacement and charge you first. Always a good idea in customer service situations to point this stuff out without becoming overbearing. But it definitely doesn’t sound like the battery’s normal unless you did something like expose it to some crazy temperature extreme or let it completely die and sit for >6 months or something.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I've recently been using my iPad more but I haven't let it sit dead for months. Thanks and I'll bring that up when I bring it in.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do the new MBPs have FDE enabled by default with the new T2 chips? Is it still necessary to turn in FileVault(?)?

Apple says

quote:

Always back up your content to a secure external drive or other secure backup location so that you can restore it, if necessary. You should also turn on FileVault for additional security, because without FileVault enabled, your encrypted SSDs automatically mount and decrypt when connected to your Mac.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208344

So I’m not really sure I understand the difference. The T2 provides encryption and FileVault provides…?

e: Thinking about it some more, my understanding is that the T2 chip does FDE no matter what, so this means that people can't pull the SSD out of my MBP and steal my files. If they steal the MBP instead they could just boot up and access my files assuming I have no password on my user account (or a trivial one that can be cracked). If they can't do that then my data is safe. With FileVault then all it means is that they would need to crack two passwords instead of just the one user account password?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 24, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I’m not really sure I understand the difference. The T2 provides encryption and FileVault provides…?

If your computer does not turn on / the mainboard is broken, the T2 encryption prevents someone from stealing the SSD chips off your motherboard and dumping it.

If the computer does turn on, the drive is automatically mounted so you can dump the disk contents as if it were never encrypted in the first place. FileVault though protects your data with a key, so they would also need to boot macOS and have your key to steal the disk contents.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

This poo poo does NOT give me any confidence for the supposed 2019 Mac Pros they're supposedly working so so hard on.

If we go how they've been treating the Mac desktop laptop users, the new Mac Pros will likely look like scaled down cheese graters with only 2 PCIe 3.0 slots and they'll call it a day.

Once again Apple claims to hit them out of the park, but in reality, are hitting soft dribblers back to the pitcher.

I doubt it'll have accessible PCIe slots. 'Modular' sounds ominously like daisy chaining a shitload of external peripherals over Thunderbolt.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ugh so upgrading my MacPro to high sierra with the RX480 now causes the drat thing to crash on waking up from sleep. Looks like the only way to stop this is edit the bios on the card or edit a kext.

https://www.theitsage.com/fix-rx-580-sleep-issue-10-13-2/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Pivo posted:

If your computer does not turn on / the mainboard is broken, the T2 encryption prevents someone from stealing the SSD chips off your motherboard and dumping it.

If the computer does turn on, the drive is automatically mounted so you can dump the disk contents as if it were never encrypted in the first place. FileVault though protects your data with a key, so they would also need to boot macOS and have your key to steal the disk contents.

Does it mount and make the contents accessible even before they log into a user account?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does it mount and make the contents accessible even before they log into a user account?

The link you posted seems to imply that. I would bet heavily on it.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Quick question. I am looking at getting a new MacBook pro. Do the new 2018s 15 inch with the i7 have throttling issues? Or is it just the i9?

I see a 2017 on the referb section that's about 300 bucks cheaper than the 2018.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/G0UC2LL/A/Refurbished-154-inch-MacBook-Pro-31GHz-Quad-core-Intel-Core-i7-with-Retina-display-Space-Gray

So It looks like I would lose 2 cores, a slower GPU (i think, no idea what the X does on the video card), slower memory, much slower SSD, the T2 chip, and the new screen they have?

If they i7 doesn't have the throttling issues I might just spend the extra 300 bucks.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I have the i7 and it has the same issues as the i9.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Got a refurbed iMac from the Apple Store. Powered it on and it immediately has a whole column of dead pixels. Great QA job guys.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Got a refurbed iMac from the Apple Store. Powered it on and it immediately has a whole column of dead pixels. Great QA job guys.

Tbh it was probably a shipping injury. Refurbs go through individual QA, unlike the normal new stock. Just take it to your local store and they’ll fix it up/replace it- although it really sucks to have to deal with that.

Edit: take a few photos of the screen as it is right now in case it “miraculously” (and temporarily) fixes itself when you bring it in, so you don’t end up having to take multiple trips.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 24, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Tbh it was probably a shipping injury. Refurbs go through individual QA, unlike the normal new stock. Just take it to your local store and they’ll fix it up/replace it- although it really sucks to have to deal with that.

Edit: take a few photos of the screen as it is right now in case it “miraculously” (and temporarily) fixes itself when you bring it in, so you don’t end up having to take multiple trips.

It's already refunded and shipping back (and a new one coming to me).

Maybe it was in shipping, but the box was in absolutely pristine condition as was everything inside.

I thought about taking it in, but this is for a new employee and the two week repair process at the Apple Store wasn't gonna cut it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BonoMan posted:

It's already refunded and shipping back (and a new one coming to me).

Maybe it was in shipping, but the box was in absolutely pristine condition as was everything inside.

I thought about taking it in, but this is for a new employee and the two week repair process at the Apple Store wasn't gonna cut it.

I hear ya, glad to know it’s getting dealt with. Sometimes the shock or jostling of transport can “knock” pixels that were actually defective but behaving normally, even if the box looks good.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I've been thinking of picking up a new MacBook Pro to upgrade from my 2013 rMBP.

How good/bad of an idea is this?

The current one I'm using was a base model 13", and I'd be looking to get a touchbar 13" with the i7 and 16 GB RAM. Is the CPU throttling present on the 13" models and that big of a deal? 99% of the time I'm only using Mail/Terminal/Chrome/Messages/iTunes so I wouldn't exactly be taxing the machine, but I obviously don't want to be paying the premium on MBPs if the performance isn't going to be up to par at the times that I actually care.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

It's the sort of thing that HAS to have had come up at some meeting, and if Jobs were still alive he'd have said 'All of you idiots stop what you're doing and listen to this.' Instead, since nobody's nitpicking, this poo poo gets through the cracks.

Lolol you think that Steve Jobs was ever going to sit in a low level meeting discussing VRMs with individual hardware engineers.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Steve Jobs thought he could cure cancer by rubbing crystals and whatever. Not the smartest guy. He was a great salesman though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Fix available now.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/24/2018-macbook-pro-throttling-bug-fix/

Going to be interesting to see how this changes things.