Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

In other news Zillow seems to hate my house now. It's zestimate has dropped $10K in the month I've owned it :rip:

On the flip side the tax man just cost me money thanks to the fence I put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I realize Zestimates are all but made up but it would have been nice to have something go well for this house. I'm just looking for some good news at this point. :smith:

I went home during lunch and couldn't find any bed bug evidence on the couch, so that's kind of positive. Maybe it was just a beetle I squished in my sleep. :unsmith:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

If you actually have bed bugs, you'll find out soon. Check your skin regularly for red blisters.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I know for a fact I don't react to their bites. I had them in a lovely apartment in college and my roommate had bumps all over but I never did.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

In other news Zillow seems to hate my house now. It's zestimate has dropped $10K in the month I've owned it :rip:

My house is listed twice in Zillow. One listing has the city the house is actually in. One listing has the city that the Zip code mostly belongs to (it overlaps multiple cities).

Zillow gives these two listings a $150k disparity even though every other feature is the same.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

Just got a brand new whirlpool dishwasher and it doesn’t dry the dishes. On their website it says it may take 2 weeks to start drying fully. Did I install it incorrectly or should I just return it, or wait?

Sounds like they're trying to trick you past the return window. Return it, say it doesn't dry the dishes, and buy a Bosch with a third rack like god intended. Don't pay extra for the 39dba one over the 42dba one. I have a 44dba one and it's great. We rarely notice it's on, sometimes realizing there is a swishing noise in the background.

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/home-appliances/SHE65T55UC#/Tabs=section-technicalspecs/Togglebox=-960854172/

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Bosch dishwashers are good but they are Euro style and might not dry the dishes to your satisfaction, you should look up the difference before you buy one.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I looked in all the seams of the couch, took off the sheets of my bed, inspected the frame, and took off the electrical outlet covers near both and didn't find any evidence of bed bugs. There were several false alarms that made my heart skip a beat before I realized it wasn't what I feared. Hopefully this was just a false alarm but as people who have experienced bedbugs know, you can never prove you don't have them, just that you haven't found them. I think I'm going to buy a steamer and hose my poo poo down just in case. I can justify it because I can also use it for cleaning around the house!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Droo posted:

Bosch dishwashers are good but they are Euro style and might not dry the dishes to your satisfaction, you should look up the difference before you buy one.

The only time that ours leaves water inside is the tops of glasses/mugs which have a little depression in them and the seams of plastic stuff. We use it on auto with jet dry set to +1 over default. Everything else is stock settings (though we programmed it to turn off immediately after the load finishes, rather than leave the lights on to let us know it's clean.)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
These loving carpenter ants, mother fuckers. I have to basically spoon feed them apparently. I have 7 traps around their big rear end hole into my bedroom, but do they come out and get the DELICIOUS AND EXPENSIVE food I have conveniently placed around every side of it? No they do not. However, if I squirt the poo poo into the hole they will gobble it up. So I am just making periodic trips to refill their eating hole like some kind of loving basement dwelling goons who won't let light touch them while they eat their poisoned hot pockets.

tl;dr eat the eggs poison smash mouth carpenter ants

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 24, 2018

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone here ever negotiated the price of their house down? I don't trust Zestimates as gospel, but a lot of the houses I'm looking at are $10,000-20,000 overpriced according to that.

Is there a good percentage to lowball at? 20% less than the asking price or something? I'm not sure if there's a rule of thumb or if this isn't something people do.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Has anyone here ever negotiated the price of their house down? I don't trust Zestimates as gospel, but a lot of the houses I'm looking at are $10,000-20,000 overpriced according to that.

Is there a good percentage to lowball at? 20% less than the asking price or something? I'm not sure if there's a rule of thumb or if this isn't something people do.

It depends on the market. This is literally what your realtor gets paid by the seller to help you with.

In a hot market, you may need to offer above asking. In a slow market, you can offer under - sometimes significantly under.

Don't trust zestimates.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Just checked my Zestimate, $50K less what I paid for. :suicide:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Mortgage rates are going up, decreasing buying power for most people and thus depressing prices somewhat.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I bought in 2011 right after the bubble burst. The house had been on the market for close to a year, and the woman was really itching to get rid of it because she got divorced and it was just her and her son in a 3200sq ft house.

So we had a fair amount of leverage coming in. I think we ended up making an offer that was like $20k under asking and I believe she countered but not by much so we definitely paid a decent amount under asking but all the numbers are hazy for me right now.

So yeah there's a lot to consider. Market, seller's patience, time on market, condition of house.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Asking price is marketing, not economics.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have never heard of these Bosch 3rd rack dishwashers and now I want to sabotage our old piece of junk to get one.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Droo posted:

Well that certainly explains the ocean left behind on all my dishes every morning.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I finally managed to find a manual that could properly explain the control lock on my dishwasher. More importantly, I removed the arm and cleaned the filter. (I couldn't open the blade casing because I don't have a torx drive.)

After cleaning out some disgusting solid wads of bacteria, a rubber cap, a loose screw, and some cherry pits and corn kernels, it seems to be running a normal wash cycle without any problems.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like they're trying to trick you past the return window. Return it, say it doesn't dry the dishes, and buy a Bosch with a third rack like god intended. Don't pay extra for the 39dba one over the 42dba one. I have a 44dba one and it's great. We rarely notice it's on, sometimes realizing there is a swishing noise in the background.

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/home-appliances/SHE65T55UC#/Tabs=section-technicalspecs/Togglebox=-960854172/

The whirlpool we got has a third rack and it’s slightly annoying. It limits the vertical space on the second rack by quite a bit, for instance tall blender bottles and glasses get caught. Is it the same with the Bosch?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

The whirlpool we got has a third rack and it’s slightly annoying. It limits the vertical space on the second rack by quite a bit, for instance tall blender bottles and glasses get caught. Is it the same with the Bosch?

There is a tiny trade off but you can adjust the the middle rack several inches up and down. The number of times we are frustrated by it is far and away the minority compared to the times we don't have to do 1.5-2 loads to empty the sink. When we have to use the silverware basket we are always shocked by how much space it consumes.

It doesn't handle bowls well. It's also not much of an issue.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Halloween Jack posted:

I finally managed to find a manual that could properly explain the control lock on my dishwasher. More importantly, I removed the arm and cleaned the filter. (I couldn't open the blade casing because I don't have a torx drive.)

After cleaning out some disgusting solid wads of bacteria, a rubber cap, a loose screw, and some cherry pits and corn kernels, it seems to be running a normal wash cycle without any problems.

Related to this, is there a good dishwasher maintenance guide somewhere? Not fixing stuff, just cleaning stuff like this. Our house came with an older Bosch that's filthy, but I've never opened one up before and wouldn't know where to start.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Your best bet is to try to be as specific as possible about the model number, and look for videos on YouTube. There's a cottage industry of guys telling people how to keep their old appliances running. I learned how to replace parts in my old Kenmore dryer from YouTube--there are enough people doing this that I had several to choose from!

Some manufacturers are good about providing old manuals, some are not, but IME you really don't get step-by-step instructions on even minor repairs from the manuals, or cleaning beyond wiping down the outside and inside. (For example, there's one manual for the whole Whirlpool Gold series, as near as I can tell, and it's giving me instructions based on cycle options that my specific model doesn't have.)

If you can find a video and follow the instructions for basic disassembly and reassembly, you'll find crud along the way and cleaning it is just a matter of common sense. When I had to replace my dryer belt, I used kitchen gloves and wipes to scoop out fistfuls of lint that had worked its way into the innards of the machine over...probably at least 15 years.

Wife: "I thought we'd decided we couldn't fix it, and we looked at models at Lowe's and picked one and..."

Me: "Think of this as an investment in my sanity. If I take it apart and I can't fix it, I can confidently buy a new one without wondering if I'm an idiot who threw away an appliance that just needed its filter cleaned and was stuck because I put the control lock on by accident.

And, y'know, if it breaks next week then that still applies. Until then, I have tattoo money and I finally played Dishonored last night :ninja::cool::ninja:

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 24, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Don't trust Zestimates, it's just some algorithm churning around. One thing you can do is use the 'recently sold' filter to look at houses that have actually sold in the area - that would give you some idea of what places are actually selling for, rather than what they are listing at. You should also be able to ask your buyer's agent to show you some comparisons from the neighborhood, and they might be able to explain if there seem to be weird outliers (maybe they known one house is in a better school area, for instance). There isn't a good percentage to lowball because it's going to depend on what the listing is at relative to the market; maybe someone is listing high intending to come down to offers, but in a hot market people will also list low in order to drum up interest (because you will get more people coming to look at a property at $399,000 than $410,000 and maybe snag more offers that way). If its listed low, lowballing them is just going to get your offer trashed immediately, whether that is 20% below or 5% below.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

H110Hawk posted:

There is a tiny trade off but you can adjust the the middle rack several inches up and down. The number of times we are frustrated by it is far and away the minority compared to the times we don't have to do 1.5-2 loads to empty the sink. When we have to use the silverware basket we are always shocked by how much space it consumes.

It doesn't handle bowls well. It's also not much of an issue.

Interesting, I’m going to try adjusting the middle rack on ours. We’ve had it less than a week and I believe Lowe’s has a 30 day return policy so I’m going to keep testing it in the vain hope of not having to gently caress around with installation again.

Here is the drying status of the cycles on our Whirlpool so far:

Sensor mode: not dry at all
Normal + extended dry: pretty drat dry!

Next load I will test Normal plus the regular heat dry. Extended dry only adds about 20 minutes to the cycle.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

couldcareless posted:

I have never heard of these Bosch 3rd rack dishwashers and now I want to sabotage our old piece of junk to get one.

My Thermador (= Bosch) DW has a spot for a third rack...but no third rack in it? I dunno what POs were thinking.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

Interesting, I’m going to try adjusting the middle rack on ours. We’ve had it less than a week and I believe Lowe’s has a 30 day return policy so I’m going to keep testing it in the vain hope of not having to gently caress around with installation again.

Here is the drying status of the cycles on our Whirlpool so far:

Sensor mode: not dry at all
Normal + extended dry: pretty drat dry!

Next load I will test Normal plus the regular heat dry. Extended dry only adds about 20 minutes to the cycle.

FWIW, my Whirlpool sensor mode doesn't dry worth a drat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The caveman method is to be at home when your dishwasher finishes and immediately opening it up to let the excess moisture escape.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

Well that certainly explains the ocean left behind on all my dishes every morning.

I have mostly solved it with mine by turning on the sanitize setting, setting the jet dry setting to max, and opening the dishwasher immediately after it finishes running and shaking dumping off any pools of water/shaking off any wet plastic things that are in there and then letting them air dry while hot for another 15 minutes before putting them away.

Annoying because now I don't like to run it late at night, but it's nice that I can put plastic stuff anywhere and not have it melt. And my old dishwasher constantly vented steam right at my cabinets which was probably not good.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Ugh there's been a lot of rain and this morning there was a trickle/trail of water in the basement. It's time to bite the bullet and get a sump pump installed.

I don't really have anything interesting to say here I just am dreading shelling out the money even if it means a certain amount of peace of mind that we won't walk down to 5 inches of standing water.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

z0331 posted:

Ugh there's been a lot of rain and this morning there was a trickle/trail of water in the basement. It's time to bite the bullet and get a sump pump installed.

I don't really have anything interesting to say here I just am dreading shelling out the money even if it means a certain amount of peace of mind that we won't walk down to 5 inches of standing water.

You probably have a crack in one of your walls it is common. The proper fix is to install a wick that takes it through a hole in the floor so it can drain away. you may or may not need a sump pit if your drainage is good it is just the water got on the wrong side of your basement wall.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I was told by a neighbor that the PO had the house broken into late last year and I can definitely see where the damaged door frame was repaired but today I realized that when the door was kicked in, it actually pushed back the top of the wall on the hinged side. I can see where the caulk was pulled farther back on the brick and it explains why the door frames not level and the door will swing open if not latched.

So now I'm wondering how hard it would be to push the wall back. The wall that's behind the wall it's perpendicular to is a closet so I can relatively easily open it up take a look at the opposite side of where the wall with the door butts up against the side I think.

Also, one of the bricks at the top stuck to the door frame and not it's mortar and there's a half inch gap from it, which is what made me look at all this.

I'll just add this to my project list.

Do Never Buy.

E: positive news is that the lab results came back from the weird old tile floor I found under a cabinet false bottom and you are not the father asbestos

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 25, 2018

Hairy Nude
Aug 14, 2006
More gangsta, less angsta.
Apologies if wrong thread, I'll delete and move this to the appropriate place if so:

Question about allocation of mortgage interest and property tax deductions. My girlfriend and I just bought a house and we plan to split all expenses 50/50. I've not talked to an accountant about this, but I have a hunch that if one of us were to claim all of the mortgage interest deduction and all of the property tax deduction, that person would be able to itemize; if we split the deductions evenly I think each of us would have to take the standard deduction. Is this legal and/or advisable?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hairy Nude posted:

My girlfriend and I just bought a house

:stonk:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hairy Nude posted:

Apologies if wrong thread, I'll delete and move this to the appropriate place if so:

Question about allocation of mortgage interest and property tax deductions. My girlfriend and I just bought a house and we plan to split all expenses 50/50. I've not talked to an accountant about this, but I have a hunch that if one of us were to claim all of the mortgage interest deduction and all of the property tax deduction, that person would be able to itemize; if we split the deductions evenly I think each of us would have to take the standard deduction. Is this legal and/or advisable?

Well don't buy a house with a girlfriend unless the value is meaningless to your net worth.

You can split the expenses any way you want. Is the mortgage actually in both your names?

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hairy Nude posted:

The BWM of buying property with a girlfriend aside;

Is the mortgage in both your names or just one?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hairy Nude posted:

Aren't you both attorneys? You need a purchase agreement yesterday. That spells it all out.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

SpartanIvy posted:

I was told by a neighbor that the PO had the house broken into late last year and I can definitely see where the damaged door frame was repaired but today I realized that when the door was kicked in, it actually pushed back the top of the wall on the hinged side. I can see where the caulk was pulled farther back on the brick and it explains why the door frames not level and the door will swing open if not latched.

So now I'm wondering how hard it would be to push the wall back. The wall that's behind the wall it's perpendicular to is a closet so I can relatively easily open it up take a look at the opposite side of where the wall with the door butts up against the side I think.

Is your door opening a standard size? When I had my door kicked in a few years back I just replaced the whole shebang with a new pre-hung exterior door. When you have all the trim off around the door, it was a lot easier to square and level a new frame into the rough opening than trying to fix the old frame. Plus, it should be easier to fix any problems with the rough opening when you've got it all open.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Is your door opening a standard size? When I had my door kicked in a few years back I just replaced the whole shebang with a new pre-hung exterior door. When you have all the trim off around the door, it was a lot easier to square and level a new frame into the rough opening than trying to fix the old frame. Plus, it should be easier to fix any problems with the rough opening when you've got it all open.

Yes it is. They've clearly installed a new door on the old frame. Not sure why they didn't just install a new frame with it, but whatever.

I may go that route but I'm already mired in a non-standard door install for the garage. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Putting a new door frame up also gives you the opportunity to reinforce the deadbolt and hinge areas with additional wood and extra long screws/nails through the door frame and into the rough frame.