Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

:ohdear: I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

cash crab posted:

Reported

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Need to clean the mirror :ohdearsass:

Last selfie for awhile, I think. But it'll work out in the end.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
hope all is well,fellow poster with an a+ username

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

cash crab posted:

More like OldSpeechless.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

Painted by a friend in a fit of impromptu therapy for both of us.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
neat!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Teagan posted:

Lookin' sharp, happy and good :)

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

More like oldhairless (happy birthday)

Thanks! It was a great birthday.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:sadkimchi:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Celebrating my birthday with my much better half

cash crab posted:

This is exactly how I pictured you

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

PurdWerfect posted:

Painted by a friend in a fit of impromptu therapy for both of us.

This is cool!

Also Oldpainless that is just about how I imagined you. Happy birthday!

Mom visited the farm.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Scathach posted:

This is cool!

Also Oldpainless that is just about how I imagined you. Happy birthday!

Mom visited the farm.

Scathach, I'm curious, what do you do? Do you run a farm?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

ContraBoss posted:

Scathach, I'm curious, what do you do? Do you run a farm?

My day job is in-home caregiver for a woman that has Alzheimer's. So three days a week are spent with her, and the rest is helping with the farm and honestly loving around on 40 acres. Me and Dank AF live on the property with six other people.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Eyes checked, glasses ordered, should be ready this afternoon, may pick them up in the morning so I can get some sleep (I work nights). Got the 2 for $78 deal, one small rectangular frames (basically the same as the reading glasses I posted), one sort of slightly smaller, slightly melted Wayfarer look -- BCGs that fit my face. the semi-rimless ones I really wanted for the big ones were a hair too big for my prescription. My ex the fashion guru and mother both recommended aviator style, but I think they look weird with clear lenses. And hey, having ugly glasses is like driving an ugly car -- the owner doesn't have to look at 'em.

Also, the guy tried to upsell me on polycarbonate lenses (which I was seriously considering) and all the coatings and poo poo, I said "nah," these are my cheap beater starting specs, I'm going Warby Parker when I want to have fancy ones. And then they were out of stock on the cheapass base option in my prescription, so he (the assistant manager) gave me the Lexan lenses (normally $100 extra) free, because they had the min stock and he has an override for customer satisfaction purposes.

Apparently I'm borderline "may not be able to renew my DL", I can't see poo poo farther than six feet. I did read the smallest line on the closeup card. :smug: The doc was amazed, he said most people don't even try, if they even notice it's not just a dotted line. Years of poring over individual pixels as a photographer have honed my skills at looking at tiny things close up -- "Is that a dead pixel, dust on the sensor, or fly poo poo on the monitor?" (I admit to having spent a good thirty seconds trying to clone-stamp away a flyspeck on the monitor surface multiple times). The chart for my problem was a computer monitor at the far end of the long room and he could randomize it by pressing a button, it was neat. The smallest setting on it I could see perfectly when he got the scrip dialed in, I couldn't even tell there was anything there when he took the lenses away.

Mom also ordered two new pair, but hers came to $500 -- she got the $170/2 frames, progressive trifocals, and the transition coating. I considered transitions, but meh, I'll just buy a new pair/find my old regular Wayfarer IIs Mom got free when she repped B&L and get prescription lenses for them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's not too crazy of a prescription, but definitely bad enough to cause a lot of issues. Glad you got something ordered, even though it cost a ton of money.

Polycarbonate is garbage. See my earlier post:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Contrasts. I mean, go with whatever style suits you, but to make a broad generalization, round faces get angular frames, and vice versa. Angular + Angular can work, too, but be careful and pick out whatever works for you :)

Get the lowest refractive index for your prescription. Higher refractive index plastics (1.67, 1.74, 1.8) are thinner and lighter for any given correction/prescription, but the optics are terrible. If you can get away with CR-39 (basic bitch plastic) lenses for a low prescription, go for it -- their optical clarity is second only to optical glass. For someone like me at a -7.00, CR-39 lenses would be super thick at the edges, so I go with something like polycarbonate (1.62) for a thinner lens, but I get things like chromatic abberation (blue/yellow rainbows at the edges of color transitions) in my periphery, and it sucks. For someone up here my only non-abberation lens options are contact lenses though.

For low prescriptions, though, YES that means the lower priced lenses are actually better. CR-39 is also a harder plastic than polycarbonate, meaning it's more scratch resistant. And for low prescriptions the thickness difference is nothing. Anti-reflective coatings are great for clarity (esp as something like a photographer), but every single anti-reflective coating is softer than the underlying plastic, making them scratch easier, so take care of them and always use a fresh cloth (no paper! no microfiber!) to clean them. Microfiber is difficult to clean fully and there's a high chance it'll trap dust particles and scratch your lenses during cleaning. I use a plain dish towel and hot water at a sink to clean my glasses about once a day when I'm wearing them.

E: it's worth it to go to Zenni or some cheap online place that you can get glass for less than $20 a pair and get two or three pairs of different styles, just to find out what works style and sizing-wise. Glasses are sized with three numbers, often written like 52-14-145. Those are Lens-Bridge-Temples (arms). You think you'd get total frame width by just adding two lens measurements together with the bridge (52+52+14), but that's not true because the lens and bridge measurement don't take into account the extra width from the outer edge of the lens to the arm hinge. On something like cateye frames that could be a lot, like 10mm, but on something like frameless glasses it would be 0. But it still gives you an idea of the general size of them. If your ears are set far back, get longer temples. 140-145 is the upper end of the normal sizing, whereas children's glasses may be 120. Hence why picking out a few cheapies from Zenni or similar may help out, and if the work out BONUS spare glasses.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
did you mean you couldn't renew your license without correction? because even my good eye is a good bit worse than your worse eye and i don't think the DMV even asked for my prescription, just took whatever weirdo vision test they do.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hell my eyes are -5.75 and -6 and I still drive as long as I have glasses.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lazik 4 lyfe

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no way friend i work with lasers. im not going to have one shot into my eye. thats scary.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Crooked-smile-car-fixing-selfie

Photobombed-by-the-cat-selfie

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

BalloonFish posted:

Crooked-smile-car-fixing-selfie

Photobombed-by-the-cat-selfie

Good kitty. And um...I think we need to see more pictures of your strange vehicle, sir.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Scathach posted:

I think we need to see more pictures of your strange vehicle, sir.

also this

it looks like a vintage citroën and was the first thing i noticed

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

sneakyfrog posted:

no way friend i work with lasers. im not going to have one shot into my eye. thats scary.

I really want to laser my eyeball but glasses are actually growing on me. I just hate having to have them

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FreshFeesh posted:

I really want to laser my eyeball but glasses are actually growing on me. I just hate having to have them

yeah im like supposed to be a professional smartypants its like part of my work costume... (despite being blind as gently caress without them)

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Scathach posted:

Good kitty. And um...I think we need to see more pictures of your strange vehicle, sir.

The kitty is good. We've lived together for a year now and she has accepted me as a source of food and petting (but only on her terms, not mine).

The car is a Citroen 2CV.

I like it very much, although at times I wonder why.

This is our more usual relationship:

sneakyfrog posted:

also this

it looks like a vintage citroën and was the first thing i noticed

Mine was made in 1988, so in itself is hardly vintage (it's younger than me, just!). The started making them in 1948 and it was designed in the 1930s, though, so the design is firmly old-fashioned.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:swoon:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Holy hell that's a beautiful car!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sneakyfrog posted:

yeah im like supposed to be a professional smartypants its like part of my work costume... (despite being blind as gently caress without them)

Same. My work requires me to be deft with words and subtle with my works. I found that with contacts I looked like a got-no-time-for-your-poo poo bouncer and I was taken less seriously at work. Glasses are a necessary component since they seem to add IQ points to everyone else’s estimations.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Jul 25, 2018

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ah, the 2cv in her natural environment

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

did you mean you couldn't renew your license without correction? because even my good eye is a good bit worse than your worse eye and i don't think the DMV even asked for my prescription, just took whatever weirdo vision test they do.

Yeah, that. Right on the cusp of needing a note on the back of my license saying "Only with glasses." Now that I have them, I realize it was a lot worse than I thought -- they even make the laptop screen look better.

Picked them up this morning, I put them on in the store to check the fit, and realized that thing on the wall behind the guy was a small whiteboard with stuff written on it and not, like, a photographic gray card. :v:

Hipster (which I realized after the fact are very similar to Tony Angelo's, the drift racer/Hot Rod Garage/third Roadkill guy):

Classy, but no peripheral vision, I can see around all four sides:

But on the plus side I can glare at people over them:

No problems with chromatic abberation or anything. I need to get the little rubber cup for the eyehole of my Nikon to keep from scratching them. Amusingly, that's how I first noticed my eyes were going -- at first I thought my ancient ('90's) 75-300mm zoom lens was malfunctioning because things were out of focus looking through the viewfinder (and thus seeing them magnified, but no change in focus.)

Also :lol: my mom was instructing me in care and feeding of spectacles (how to clean them, &c.) and I cut her off with "I'm used to working with $1000 glass with cutting-edge coatings, I think I know how to do it."

Mine were two for $78 and $88 for the exam without insurance, hers were two for $500 because she got the progressive (seamless trifocal or some poo poo), fanciest lens material (required for the weird grind), auto-darkening coating, and more expensive frames.

Edit: also, the ophthalmologist had me look into a machine that showed a picture or a church wafting in and out of focus. He explained the purpose of all the other machines, but not that one. What it do?

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Jul 25, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Regrowing my majestic mustache.

Also the flattop.

Woo.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

LingcodKilla posted:

Also the flattop.

Woo.

YES TOP (Chief?), YOUR MOUSTACHE IS MAJESTIC EVEN WHEN SHAVEN.

Sorry, conditioned response from my time in JROTC. In which I got to the rank of Cadet Top, and turned down a couple of officer promotions to shoot for Cadet SGM, they did away with the SGM position, was eventually forced to be the assistant S-3 at Cadet Captain, and then wisely chose not to join the actual Army when I graduated at the turn of the century. I'd probably be stop-lossed until retirement if I had.

(And yeah, I made the freshmen do ALL THE PUSHUPS when I was Cadet 1SG/CPT, I'm the perfect sort of rear end in a top hat for a Top or field officer. As was my brother from another mother -- mom's BFF's kid's the same age as me -- who joined the Navy, and is now boss nuc on USS G.R. Ford as a master chief.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m a dirtbag reservist doing civy work in possibly the smallest command ever.

We don’t really do the moto military thing here.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m a dirtbag reservist doing civy work in possibly the smallest command ever.

We don’t really do the moto military thing here.

So basically JROTC for adults. Next weekend tell your charges to do extra pushups because they''re the reason random internet friend went blind. I admit that I went mad with power the instant I got three chevrons and three rockers but who's the bully now, bitch?

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Hipster (which I realized after the fact are very similar to Tony Angelo's, the drift racer/Hot Rod Garage/third Roadkill guy):

These are making you look super youthful and approachable, diggin' them!!!!

also, LingcodKilla you look awesome, as usual

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Chillbro Baggins posted:

But on the plus side I can glare at people over them:

get in the fucjikin robot shinji!!!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Also the flattop.

Woo.

Woo!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
World Naked Bike Ride, STL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Well we're stuck at work with a dead battery. And here I was worrying about my rear diff leaking.

Glad I live with seven other people, three of which are decent mechanics. Not that I can't change the battery myself but hey when poo poo fucks up I have plenty of help.

E: It's fixed. Sweaty.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Jul 26, 2018