Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Random Hajile posted:

The thing is about an rear end in a top hat protagonist is that they have to be funny or at least interesting enough that you still want to watch them in action or it just doesn't work.

Also, even if they're funny and interesting they have to get some comeuppance for the horrible poo poo they do. Otherwise they're functionally the hero, and the writer is just admiring an rear end in a top hat.

Obligatum VII posted:

To be fair, he started out as a potentially a good parody but then got worse instead of ever coming to comprehend that he was a shitheel.

I think this is probably a hard thing to pull off in a video game. Most good rear end in a top hat protagonists are from books and the thing that makes them bearable is that they generally have some self-awareness that they're an rear end in a top hat. Books have an easy time with that because writing internal monologue is just as easy as anything else. I don't even know how you'd do someone like Flashman in a game and execute it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/830630/Existential_Kitty_Cat_RPG/

I have many questions.

I am not sure if this even belongs in this thread.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Space Funeral 2 is looking pretty good

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Klyith posted:

Most good rear end in a top hat protagonists are from books and the thing that makes them bearable is that they generally have some self-awareness that they're an rear end in a top hat. Books have an easy time with that because writing internal monologue is just as easy as anything else. I don't even know how you'd do someone like Flashman in a game and execute it well.

Well, voice over monologues are one tool you could use. Another is to use the objective reminders as being from the character's internal dialogue- stuff like 'Go Somewhere To Feel Like An rear end in a top hat, Like A Park Or Something' or 'Talk to Alice and Try to Help' -> 'OH GOD THAT DID NOT HELP'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
rear end in a top hat protagonists work well as dysfunctional people. I'm oddly reminded of Tales from the Borderlands, which I felt was better than it had any right to be. (though I've always liked stories that take place on the periphery of a standard kind of adventure dealing with the fallout and implications)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FirstAidKite posted:

I have many questions.

I am not sure if this even belongs in this thread.

Terrible Awful Games Thread: An Egg, mostly likely from a dog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ratoslov posted:

Well, voice over monologues are one tool you could use. Another is to use the objective reminders as being from the character's internal dialogue- stuff like 'Go Somewhere To Feel Like An rear end in a top hat, Like A Park Or Something' or 'Talk to Alice and Try to Help' -> 'OH GOD THAT DID NOT HELP'.

Now I want to play a game where you're a self-hating fuckup trying to go through everyday life and mostly failing hilariously.

I mean, differently from how I already do in real life.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

That's basically Bulletstorm I think

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I want to play a game where you're a self-hating fuckup trying to go through everyday life and mostly failing hilariously.

So an Evangelion game, basically.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a new Leisure Suit Larry game, if that counts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

rear end in a top hat protagonists work well as dysfunctional people. I'm oddly reminded of Tales from the Borderlands, which I felt was better than it had any right to be. (though I've always liked stories that take place on the periphery of a standard kind of adventure dealing with the fallout and implications)

Although I think it was helped in that you could determine how much Rhys and Fiona were jerks. Like if you wanted, Rhys could start off being somewhat regretful of working for Hyperion because he didn't know anything else to do. That said yeah it's my favorite TellTale game (which is not the high bar I originally thought).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, differently from how I already do in real life.

Night in the Woods?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ikari Worrier posted:

Apparently the writer of the Deponia games is an edgelord who claims that Rufus is supposed to be a satire of the sociopathic actions that adventure game protagonists sometimes get up to but mostly just seemed to be using that as a pretext to be as offensive as possible.

you trick baby dolphins to jump through a fiery hoop into a food processor so you can get a can of tuna

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ikari Worrier posted:

Apparently the writer of the Deponia games is an edgelord who claims that Rufus is supposed to be a satire of the sociopathic actions that adventure game protagonists sometimes get up to but mostly just seemed to be using that as a pretext to be as offensive as possible.

you feed children to a sewer monster that had started to abstain from eating people due to medical reasons

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Slowly starting to sell me...

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

dregan posted:

Is the subtitle supposed to be a reference to Dark Dreams Don't Die? Wha? Why? :psyduck:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is the subtitle supposed to be a reference to Dark Dreams Don't Die? Wha? Why? :psyduck:

it certainly seems to be, but nobody really understands why

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

it certainly seems to be, but nobody really understands why

The Leisure Suit Larry Story

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I find Leisure Suit Larry being tall and recognizably human to be intensely disturbing, as is the notion that a fake Tinder app would not be used as a throw away joke to show what an idiot he is instead of a gameplay element.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
How do you gently caress up a jerk protagonist in an adventure game when they're such a grand tradition? Guybrush Threepwood ruins several people's lives without feeling bad about it, and yet you LIKE him. Rufus is just a hateful little poo poo written by an edgelord. I quit fairly quickly in the original Deponia because I could not stand being around him and I was informed that no, he does not change for the better or receive a funny enough comeuppance.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Really Pants posted:

Point & clicks with impossible-to-like protagonists are basically Daedalic's thing, with the exception of Memoria.

I'll give them some props for publishing Shadow Tactics though.

They also published Candle, which is a pretty good hybrid of cinematic platformer and point-and-click, as well as AER, which is a decent 3D exploration game in the Journey/Abzu vein.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Klyith posted:

Also, even if they're funny and interesting they have to get some comeuppance for the horrible poo poo they do. Otherwise they're functionally the hero, and the writer is just admiring an rear end in a top hat.

I've always disagreed heavily with this opinion, and it's gotten me in more than a few arguments. Relating a story about a fictional person in no way equates to admiring or condoning their actions. Not even a little bit.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Lee posted:

I've always disagreed heavily with this opinion, and it's gotten me in more than a few arguments. Relating a story about a fictional person in no way equates to admiring or condoning their actions. Not even a little bit.

Yeah but if they suck to be around i'd rather do something else. Why waste your money and your time on a miserable experience that says nothing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dregan posted:

So does this also have a part where a bunch of Kickstarter backers are hanging out for you to talk with and they're all super cool?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

John Lee posted:

I don't believe in transitive guilt from the events of fiction to the writer, but I do believe in bad writing. Context matters a whole lot, and the bar for "what you can get away with" moves depending on what you're writing.

Note that I didn't accuse the writers of Deponia of misogyny or racism for writing a story that has both, just of writing with some degree of approval the character who totally gets away with both. Cartoon violence is whatever, they're writing a cartoonish story. However a racist joke is still racist when it's a cartoon. And the whole thing with the hot chick who exists to be the sexual goal, named Goal, is the sucky sort of parody that tries to have its cake and eat it too.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
It's like when a game pokes fun at a lovely, overused, tedious game mechanic, but still makes the player go through the sequence with the game mechanic anyway. Just because the developer is self-aware about the use of a lovely part of a game doesn't excuse them from actually making a part of their game lovely on purpose.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inco posted:

It's like when a game pokes fun at a lovely, overused, tedious game mechanic, but still makes the player go through the sequence with the game mechanic anyway. Just because the developer is self-aware about the use of a lovely part of a game doesn't excuse them from actually making a part of their game lovely on purpose.

Yeah this is a pretty common thing when it comes to lazy writing. "I want to do the thing but it's such a cliche. I know, I'll show how clever I am by pointing out how cliche it is! That will show how I, the writer, am better than the thing I'm writing."

If anything I feel like that's worse because if you do something lovely and don't know any better then at least it's understandable. If you SPECIFICALLY POINT OUT that you knew better and did it anyway I can only conclude that you're just being a dick.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Inco posted:

Ah, Matt Hazard syndrome.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah, Matt Hazard syndrome.

Also seen in the opening of FarCry: Blood Dragon, where the obviously-going-to-betray-you partner character makes you go through a tutorial while the player character bitches about tutorials.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Deadguy2322 posted:

Also seen in the opening of FarCry: Blood Dragon, where the obviously-going-to-betray-you partner character makes you go through a tutorial while the player character bitches about tutorials.

It was over in about a minute in Blood Dragon at least - in Matt Hazard's case it was the entire game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It just seems like one of those things where once you've made the joke, you don't then make the "punchline" be a 5-10 minute gameplay segment. That's not how jokes work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/874100/LGBT_BATTLEGROUNDS/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/890510/GAY_BATTLEGROUNDS/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893990/LGBT_VS_RUSSIA_BATTLEGROUNDS/

Uh.

e: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/systems/unitz-battlegrounds-117943

Ahhhhh.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Are all these Russian LGBT games supposed to be pro-Russian, anti-gay propaganda, or are they meant to be satirizing the Russian government's intolerance?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think it's just sweatshop dev houses making chain-generated titles based on the most common search terms across all engines. the games themselves have nothing to do with gays or russians, almost certainly don't have battles, and in fact may not even have ground

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 25, 2018

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

My attitudes towards Russia and everyone that falls under the LGBT umbrella are, correctly, constantly fluid and entirely directed by games I get for 99 cents on Steam.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Speaking of foreign cultures and sexuality in gaming

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/835422767/the-super-patriotic-dating-simulator

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

You put this in the wrong thread I think

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

"I-Infidel-senpai, I'm about to explode..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

It's apparently satirical, but mein gott it looks far too close to something the chuds would produce.