Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Let's find our bro Gwynian, no doubt he has yet another catastrophic death quest to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Always seek out recurring characters.

Find Gwynian.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mister Perky posted:

Find Gwynian.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jedit posted:

Let's find our bro Gwynian, no doubt he has yet another catastrophic death quest to offer.

We’re already on a catastrophic death quest, though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Jedit posted:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Even if Gwynian’s not there some other smartarse might know a shortcut home. Look for the Halls.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Materant posted:

We’re already on a catastrophic death quest, though.

We can find lunch on a glacier, walk through walls of flame unscathed and throw Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch at our foes. I do not think the Kai discipline of Multitasking is beyond us.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Mister Perky posted:

Find Gwynian.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dawn of the Dragons posted:

You ask a street trader the way to the Halls of Learning and he points impatiently to an avenue on the west side of the square. A rusty plate fixed to the corner building says ‘Quill Street’.

You ride along this narrow avenue, which is flanked by aromatic jala houses and perfumeries, until it turns abruptly right into a wider thoroughfare called Brass Street. A smile cracks your travel-grimy face when you see the courtyard entrance to a grand building. It has changed much since you were last here, but despite its new brick and marble façade you recognize Varetta’s Halls of Learning.

You ride along a gravelled path to a fountain where you stop to ask a brown-robed scholar if he knows where Gwynian can be found. Without speaking, he points to a nearby hall. A sign hanging over its richly-carved oak door says ‘Library’. You thank the robed man and dismount, leaving your horse tied to a ring which is set into the wall. Then you push open the door and enter the library’s cool interior.

Countless thousands of books and parchments crowd the stone shelves of this magnificent library. Your eyes travel along them until they reach another door at the far end of the hall. There, standing framed in the arch, is the man whose help you seek.

‘Welcome, Grand Master,’ says Gwynian the Sage. ‘I have been expecting you.’

Gwynian ushers you through into an adjoining chamber where floating bulbs of light illuminate a stone table covered with charts and scrolls.

‘What news have you of Sommerlund?’ you ask anxiously.

‘Grave news,’ replies Gwynian, with an ominous tone. He picks up a chart from the table and traces a finger across the intricate lines and calculations that embellish its ancient yellowed surface.

‘The Dark God Naar has opened a Shadow Gate in the Durncrag Mountains, a corridor between our world and his. By means of this corridor he has sent a host of winged creatures—the Lavas—to assail your monastery. It is his plan to destroy the young order of Kai warriors while you are not able to lead them. The Shadow Gate opened at the time of the last full moon and, since then, the Kai Monastery has been attacked many times. Naar’s servants have your stronghold encircled and cut off from the armies of King Ulnar, who has repeatedly sought to break the siege. Your Kai have withstood the attacks well, Lone Wolf, but they are weakening. Only you can save them now.’

‘But how?’ you ask, shaken by Gwynian’s account of the events which have occurred during your absence from the monastery. ‘If the armies of King Ulnar are powerless to break the siege, how can I hope to save my brethren?’

‘Do not despair, Lone Wolf,’ replies Gwynian, reassuringly. ‘All is not yet lost. You can save your brave order by closing the gate through which Naar sends his Lavas minions.’

You are about to ask how you could possibly achieve this, how you could close the Shadow Gate, but your urgent question is forestalled when Gwynian raises his hand.

‘Patience for just a moment, Lone Wolf,’ he says and he allows himself a smile. ‘I, humble Gwynian, possess the means by which you can thwart the Dark God’s murderous plan.’

From a secret drawer beneath the stone table, Gwynian brings forth a golden crystal the size of an apple. Its multi-faceted surface radiates a myriad of tiny beams which shimmer and sparkle with the fiery energy that is locked within its core.

‘This is a Sun-crystal, Grand Master,’ he says, placing the object into the palm of your hand. Its surface feels pleasantly warm, inviting your touch. ‘If you are to save your brethren, you must close the Shadow Gate for good. This crystal can achieve this aim. It contains power sufficient to destroy the Shadow Gate and prevent its return.’

You look down at the glowing crystal with fearful respect. Gwynian notes your concern and smiles.

‘You need not fear the crystal’s power for it cannot cause harm in our world. Only if it is cast into another plane of existence will its powers be released. Grand Master, you must cast it into the Shadow Gate that Naar has created.’

‘So this is how I can save my brethren,’ you whisper, as you peer into the glittering head of the crystal.

‘Just so,’ replies Gwynian. ‘Just so.’

‘Then I must away at once,’ you say, placing the Sun-crystal into the pocket of your tunic. ‘Now that I have the weapon I need to save my people, I can stay not a moment longer; I must leave for Casiorn at once.’

‘Yes,’ says Gwynian, still smiling, ‘I know of your plans, and I have made provision for you to travel to the City of Merchants more swiftly. Come, follow me, and all will be revealed.’

Record the Sun-crystal on your Action Chart as a Special Item. You must discard another item in its favour if you already possess the maximum number permissible.

You follow Gwynian through a series of corridors to a stable from where he brings forth a magnificent white stallion, the finest steed you have ever seen.

‘This is Wildwind, Grand Master,’ says Gwynian, as he strokes the steed’s muscular neck. ‘He will carry you to Casiorn far swifter than any horse you have known. Swifter than even your own fine steed, Storm.’

You look into Wildwind’s intelligent eyes and you detect the faint aura of magic about him. But it is not until you climb into the saddle that you sense his true power.

‘A thousand thanks, Gwynian. I am forever in your debt.’

And with these words you bid Gwynian farewell and leave the Halls of Learning. You depart from Varetta through its great east gate and, once outside the city, you spur Wildwind to the gallop. You are astounded by his speed and untiring stamina: Gwynian was right—he is the fastest horse you have ever ridden. In little more than an hour you have covered sixty miles. It is only when you find yourself approaching a stone bridge, commanded by a huge gated archway, that you are forced to rein him to a halt. Above the archway you notice the words ‘Denka Gate’ engraved into the stone. Below them, written in chalk, is the message ‘Toll—4 Gold Crowns’.

After a few minutes, an unshaven old man emerges from a door set into this grand gate. He holds out his hand and demands that you pay him the toll.
We have eight Gold Crowns. Do we pay the toll or try to barter?

As you may have guessed, it's actually impossible to avoid Gwynian here. It's one of those choices where the outcome is exactly the same either way.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's the perfect moment to be a greedy idiot: BARTER

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Where’s the option for ‘blast down the gate with magic and ride on, just you try and stop me’? It seems the best option to me! Oh whatever, pay the drat toll.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Where’s the option for ‘blast down the gate with magic and ride on, just you try and stop me’? It seems the best option to me! Oh whatever, pay the drat toll.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

old man's just doing his job; pay him and move on.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
gently caress it, let's barter. Lone Wolf is a giant rear end in a top hat for no reason on a frequent basis, so let's be true to our nature.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Toplowtech posted:

It's the perfect moment to be a greedy idiot: BARTER

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm sure we'll be able to loot some more bandit corpses soon, so pay the toll.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The_White_Crane posted:

gently caress it, let's barter. Lone Wolf is a giant rear end in a top hat for no reason on a frequent basis, so let's be true to our nature.

this but i want to point out that a world of this technology level likely has no concept of someone moving at sixty miles an hour, so it's not like they could do jack poo poo

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

wiegieman posted:

I'm sure we'll be able to loot some more bandit corpses soon, so pay the toll.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

gently caress it, let's barter.

‘Eeeargh!’ snorts the old man, impatiently, and begins to walk back to the door. ‘Raggin’ time-waster!’

Rather than being forced to make a long detour to avoid this bridge, you decide to try to barter with the gateman. Your proposal captures his interest and he demands to see what valuables you have. You show him your possessions and, after a few minutes thought, he agrees to let you pass in return for one of your Special Items (excluding the Sun-crystal).

Wary of the delay, you agree to his terms. (Erase one Special Item of your choosing from your Action Chart.)

You leave behind the Denka Gate and follow a road that twists and climbs through densely wooded highland. Once you crest the last timbered hill, you begin a gradual descent towards the Taunor Valley—a fertile expanse of cropland and grassy plain. By dusk you can see the River Quarl ahead and, shortly before nightfall, you cross its fast-flowing waters at a bridge in the centre of Quarlen, a busy town on the caravan route to Casiorn.

Just beyond the bridge you see an impressive hostelry, with adjoining stables. A shield hangs above the courtyard gate displaying its name: ‘The Barrel Bridge Tavern’.
  1. Shall we enter or ride on?
  2. Which item did we trade?

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS; x2 damage vs. undead)
    Special Items:
  1. Quiver (6/6 arrows)
  2. Jewelled Mace
  3. Onyx Key
  4. Silver Bracers (+2 CS; +1 EP)
  5. Signet Ring
  6. Silver Rod
  7. Jadin Amulet (+1 RN to avoid missile attacks)
  8. Silver Bow of Duadon (+3 to RN)
  9. Two Silver Seals
  10. Sun-crystal
  11. Quiver (0/6 arrows)
  12. Breastplate (+4 EP)
  13. Korlinium Scabbard
  14. Map of Mogaruith
  15. Scroll
  16. Black Amulet
  17. Platinum Amulet

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

let's give him the swerd how about just one of the seals, can we do that?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Trade a Silver Seal for passage.

Let's enter the tavern. Maybe we'll make a new friend there. We first met Roark in a tavern if memory serves.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
this man looks like he could really use a Map Of Mogaruith

also let's go to the tavern and see if we can start a pub brawl by Psi-Surging the in-house bard or whatever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

We first met Roark in a tavern if memory serves.
Not just any tavern, either. This is the place. The Barrel Bridge Tavern.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Stop by for old times sake

This was my favorite book in the series because of all the callbacks to the old books.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Finally a decent use for a map special item! Get rid of the Map Of Mogaruith.
Also enter the tavern, we always* met total dicks there, and we need a new enemy, we killed the last one we met there but also his god and potentially his family.

*once but it's 1/1 atm so let's see if it continue.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 24, 2018

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Give him the map, why are we still carrying it, and let's spend the money we just saved on booze at the tavern!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Give him a quiver. We have an empty one, and we get a new one every book. We might go back to Mogaruith some day, and already in this book we got lost in a city we've been to before because we had no map.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
One of our two silver seals because I love the idea of going "No, I'm not giving you four gold crowns, here, have this solid silver seal engraved with... what were these for again?"
Enter the Tavern, maybe we can pick up a new pathetic nemesis now that we've exorcised Roark.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

One of our two silver seals because I love the idea of going "No, I'm not giving you four gold crowns, here, have this solid silver seal engraved with... what were these for again?"
Enter the Tavern, maybe we can pick up a new pathetic nemesis now that we've exorcised Roark.
Yeah, we're not being stingy and refusing to pay the toll, we're being generous and donating something much more valuable.

As you enter the courtyard, a boy rushes out of the stables and eagerly takes charge of Wildwind’s reins. He praises your horse enthusiastically and promises that he will look after him well while you are enjoying your visit to the tavern. On entering the taproom, you are welcomed by the mouth-watering smell of roasting beef and fine ale. The tavern is busy and nobody pays you any special attention as you take a seat by the counter.

At a nearby table, you notice an argument is brewing between a merchant and a man dressed in a shabby hide coat. The merchant is accusing the man of stealing a purse of gems from his pocket, and the confrontation is being made worse by a third man, a lank-haired bargee, who is siding with the merchant. The accused man pleads that he is innocent but the other two give no credence to his pleas. Suddenly, the merchant draws a dagger and threatens to slit the man’s throat unless he hands over the stolen gems at once.

Your advanced Telegnosis reveals to you the whereabouts of the missing purse of gems. It is in the boot of the bargee, the lank-haired man who is siding with the merchant against the other. He is hoping to keep hidden his guilt by pointing the finger of suspicion at the man in the hide coat.

The bargee steps away from the table and, as he tries to move quietly towards the tavern door, he passes in front of your chair. Deftly you kick the top of his boot. The blow splits the purse and scatters gemstones all over the tavern floor.

‘Why you … ’ growls the guilty bargee, and, in the blink of an eye, he draws a dagger and lunges for your heart.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 47
Bargee (master thief): COMBAT SKILL 36 ENDURANCE 25
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 10
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 49 ENDURANCE 47
Bargee (master thief): COMBAT SKILL 36 ENDURANCE 0

Master thief, perhaps, but not great at picking his battles.

The accused man thanks you profusely for proving his innocence, and the merchant, while on his hands and knees gathering up his scattered gems, offers the man one of his glittering stones by way of an apology.

Red-faced with embarrassment, the merchant then offers you 10 Gold Crowns for having rid him of a thief whom he was about to entrust with his entire cargo of gems and spices from Casiorn. (If you choose to accept the crowns, be sure to adjust your Action Chart accordingly.)

The tavern owner, however, is not so understanding. He does not like blood being spilled on his premises and he asks you to leave at once. You bid all three goodnight and then return to the stables to collect Wildwind.

A signpost on the road out of Quarlen says ‘Casiorn 260 miles’. On a normal horse you would expect the journey to take four days, but on Wildwind you are confident of reaching the City of Merchants before midnight.

Aided by a full moon and your sharp Kai skills, you keep Wildwind on a safe course throughout your long night’s ride. Rapidly the miles melt away beneath his hooves and, as midnight approaches, you see the welcoming lights of Casiorn twinkling on the horizon. Using magical spyglasses, the watchful guards above the city’s west gate see you coming and set their torches to fire-beacons to help guide you. The gates of the city are thrown open and, as you ride through, you meet with a thunderous welcome from its citizens, rich and poor, many of whom have left their beds to cheer your arrival.

Not until you see the bulbous golden towers of the High-Mayor’s Palace do you allow Wildwind to slow his pace. You pass through the palace’s grand arch, crafted from marble and gold, and as you bring Wildwind to a halt you see a wondrous skyship hovering over the roof of the High-Mayor’s chambers. It reminds you of Skyrider—your friend Guildmaster Banedon’s flying ship—although the craft above is sleeker and appears to be fashioned not from wood, but from burnished metal.

‘She awaits your command,’ says High-Mayor Cordas, as he strides down the steps of his palace chambers with an entourage of guards and advisors scurrying in his wake. ‘What do you think?’ He beams, pointing to the ship. ‘Is she not magnificent?’

‘Yes, indeed she is,’ you reply, as you dismount from Wildwind who, to your greater astonishment, displays not the slightest sign of fatigue after your incredible ride from Varetta. ‘Pray tell me, High-Mayor, what is the craft’s name?’

‘We call her “Cloud-dancer”,’ he replies, proudly.

Within the hour you are standing aboard the gleaming steel deck of Cloud-dancer, which vibrates gently in tune to the rising power of its magical engines. The crew of Casiornian engineers set free the hawsers which hold her in place and then, with a farewell wave to Cordas and his court, you give the order for Cloud-dancer to commence her maiden voyage north to Holmgard.

Throughout your sky voyage home, your mind is filled with the fear and uncertainty of what may await you in Holmgard. You spend most of the journey on the rear deck, alone with your thoughts, staring down at the land speeding past more than a mile below. You watch as the jungle of the Maakenmire swamp gives way to the barren scrub of the Wildlands. Then, when you catch sight of the Pass of Moytura, your pulse races with excitement for this V-shaped cleft in the southern Durncrags is where the Wildland territories end and your beloved homeland of Sommerlund begins. Yet the excitement you feel here is but nothing compared to your elation when you first glimpse the lights of Holmgard—the Sommlending capital.

Guided by beacons blazing atop the King’s Citadel, the crew of the Cloud-dancer bring her gently in towards the city. The craft is made to hover directly above the Citadel and hawsers are lowered to anchor her in position against the wind. Then you descend by rope ladder to the Citadel roof where you are greeted by a distinguished party of Barons and Fryearls, led by King Ulnar himself.

‘Welcome home, Grand Master,’ he says, his voice breaking with emotion. Then he clasps you to his chest, like a father welcoming home a lost son. ‘Thank Kai and Ishir you are safe, Lone Wolf,’ he says. ‘Now may the darkness of Naar be lifted from our land.’

King Ulnar convenes an emergency council of the Sommlending barons in his Chamber of State. When all are assembled, Baron Caldar of Anskaven conducts a briefing, principally for your benefit, outlining the grave situation confronting Sommerlund and, most especially, the New Order of the Kai. You are aware of much of what he says, having been briefed already by Gwynian the Sage in Varetta, but you learn that the Sommlending army has lost many brave men attempting to break the siege at the Kai Monastery and is too weakened, at present, to attack the enemy again.

‘Where is Guildmaster Banedon?’ you ask, when called upon by the King to speak to the council of war.

‘He is at the Kai Monastery,’ answers Baron Medar of Tyso. ‘He, in company with Lord Rimoah of Dessi and the ten most senior magicians of Toran’s Brotherhood, went to the monastery during the early days of the siege. They travelled there aboard the Guildmaster’s skyship and … ’ At this point, the Baron hesitates and looks to the King, as if seeking his permission to continue. The King continues on his behalf.

‘Grand Master,’ he says, his voice heavy, ‘the Guildmaster’s skyship was seen falling from the skies above the monastery. Border Rangers saw it crash in flames. We … we fear that all aboard were lost.’

The King’s words come as a terrible blow for Banedon and Rimoah are your closest friends. If it is true, and all of Sommerlund’s finest magicians have been lost at a stroke, then the blow is doubly severe. The security of your homeland will have been greatly compromised by their deaths.

You request the King to excuse you from the council of war for a few moments. He grants your request, thinking that you wish to be alone to grieve the loss of your friends, Banedon and Rimoah, and he allows you the use of his royal chamber.

Once you are alone, you use Telegnosis to attempt to make contact with Guildmaster Banedon telepathically. You concentrate with all your power, straining your psychic energies in your effort to connect with your friend’s mind. To your surprise, you detect a barrier in the ethereal plane, a wall of dark energy that has been placed there purposefully to prevent telepathic contact. You sense that the barrier is the work of the Dark God Naar and you call on all your reserves of psychic strength in an effort to break through it.

We roll: 2 + 5 (rank) = 7

You sense your psychic powers burrowing through Naar’s ethereal barrier. You have almost penetrated this shield when suddenly you feel the presence of the Dark God himself; he is pouring the essence of his Evil into the breach, repairing the damage you have inflicted.

Immediately you cease your telegnosis for fear of allowing Naar the opportunity of locating and attacking your Mindforce. If he were to do so, you would risk losing not only your sanity but also your soul! You succeed in severing the telepathic link, but the abrupt cessation leaves you in psychic shock: lose 5 ENDURANCE points.

Endurance: 42/47.

Despite not having made a telepathic contact with Guildmaster Banedon, you refuse to believe that he and Lord Rimoah are dead. You resolve instead to reach the Kai Monastery and destroy the Shadow Gate as soon as you are able and, strengthened by this resolution, you return to the council of war and announce your decision to the King. You show the council the Sun-crystal that Gwynian gave you, and you tell them how you intend to use it.

Ulnar and the barons applaud your plan and your steadfast courage. The King places under your command his élite Guard Cavalry regiment, so that you may be able to use them to break through the enemy’s line at its weakest point and reach the Kai Monastery. Captain D’Val, commander of the Guard Cavalry, knows where this weak point is and he will guide you to it.

The King dissolves the council and, as the barons return to their armies in the field, he orders you to rest in his chambers for a few hours.

‘Get some sleep, Grand Master,’ he says, patting you paternally on the shoulder. ‘You will need it. You ride with the Guard at dawn.’

Curing: +1 EP (43/47).

As the sun rises above the waters of the Holmgulf, it sheds its golden light upon the hopeful citizens of Holmgard who have gathered to cheer your departure. You ride out of the King’s Citadel at the head of the Guard Cavalry regiment, with Captain D’Val at your side. Bouquets of Sommlending roses are thrown before the hooves of your warhorse, and your ears ring to the jubilant cries of the crowd as you, and the brave horsemen at your back, ride with pride through the city streets that lead to Holmgard’s north gate.

Once outside the city, you order your troop to couch their lances and form up in column, four abreast, in readiness for a swift ride north. At midday, you cross the River Unoram and meet with a patrol of Border Rangers who are guarding a junction. A track emerges from the Fryelund Forest and joins with the main road from the west at this point. Although it is unsigned, you recognize its rutted surface at once: it is the Alema Trail, one of several forest tracks which lead to the Kai Monastery, thirty miles distant. Captain D’Val tells you that the enemy line is weakest at a place several miles along this trail.

The Border Rangers come quickly to attention when they see you approaching. Their leader, a sergeant with a battle-wounded leg, warns you that the enemy were seen earlier flying over this area of the forest. You acknowledge his salute, and then you give the order for the regiment to form up in column, two abreast, before leading them along the trail and into the Fryelund Forest.

You have covered less than a mile of this woodland track when you find yourself descending a gentle slope towards a stream, a tributary of the Unoram. There once was a bridge which crossed the watercourse at this point, but it has long since collapsed. Its ancient stones now form a ford which carries the trail over to the far side of the stream.

Curing: +1 EP (44/47).

Your Grand Huntmastery alerts you to a beam of ultraviolet light at the exit from the ford. This pencil-thin beam emanates from behind the age-worn keystone of the old bridge, crosses the exit just inches off the ground, and disappears into some bushes opposite.

‘Column halt!’ you shout, bringing the regiment to a stop at the approach to the ford.

‘Is something wrong, Grand Master?’ asks D’Val, anxiously.

‘Perhaps,’ you reply, staring at the beam which is invisible to the captain’s eyes. ‘Wait here, captain, while I satisfy my curiosity.’

You urge your horse forward and approach the fallen keystone. As you draw closer, you sense that it conceals an explosive device constructed from materials not of this world. It is an elaborate booby trap planted here by Naar’s minions, and it is set to detonate should any large creature unwittingly break the beam.

Curing: +1 EP (45/47).
Shall we use Kai-alchemy, Grand Nexus, or a rock?

The Barrel Bridge has really lost its charm, I feel. What's the harm in a little summary justice?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Let’s rock and roll!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lob a rock at it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
A rock because I also like the idea of Lone Wolf debating which of his mystic talents he should employ to bypass this otherworldly trap and deciding that actually he'll just chuck a rock at it.

Lone Wolf posted:

The King places under your command his élite Guard Cavalry regiment, so that you may be able to use them to break through the enemy’s line at its weakest point and reach the Kai Monastery. Captain D’Val, commander of the Guard Cavalry, knows where this weak point is and he will guide you to it.
The King beckons you to one side and, leaning close, murmurs in your ear: "I know what happens to troops who accompany you, Lone Wolf. See that none of them return alive -- they're traitors, every one of them."

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Lone Wolf has not been trained in using A Rock Or Something, better blast the bridge with Alchemy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Use our Grand Rockmastery discipline.

That last picture looks like it ought to be a Bollywood musical number.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

“Put out your hands, stick out your tush,
You’re doing the Naar mistake - VOILA!

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

A rock because I also like the idea of Lone Wolf debating which of his mystic talents he should employ to bypass this otherworldly trap and deciding that actually he'll just chuck a rock at it.

this is my thinking as well. Besides, we get the option of skill checks every book, how many times does the text give us the option to throw a rock at something? FOMO! Throw The Rock

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Why do I feel like using Grand Nexus would involve us just walking into the beam and hoping we can resist whatever will happen?

In any case throw a rock at it!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Not just any tavern, either. This is the place. The Barrel Bridge Tavern.

Hah, wow that’s pretty cool.

quote:

As you enter the courtyard, a boy rushes out of the stables and eagerly takes charge of Wildwind’s reins. He praises your horse enthusiastically and promises that he will look after him well while you are enjoying your visit to the tavern.

This gave me flashbacks of the valet in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. It would have been wonderful if the stable boy was out joyriding when Lonewolf needed to leave.

The_White_Crane posted:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Throwing a rock at it has the very real chance of blowing ourselves up along with the booby trap. Let's do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

achtungnight posted:

Let’s rock and roll!