Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How's the thread?
This poll is closed.
Chill 11 10.48%
Comfy 16 15.24%
Relaxing 3 2.86%
Witty 0 0%
Delightful 1 0.95%
Cool 1 0.95%
Engaging 0 0%
:kazooieass: 73 69.52%
Total: 105 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This image also captures mono no aware pretty well. Also :fluffy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

For those of you not in/checking the Discord, I'm still without power and the power company has destroyed the trees in my backyard. I'm loving devastated right now.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

:comfysamus:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Many, many moons ago I saw it described as "sadness for the transcience of things"

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is pretty good as well.
It's hard to do a word-for-word transiencetranslation, since it's a complex feeling and most western languages don't appear to have invented an easy phrase for it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Lobster posted:

For those of you not in/checking the Discord, I'm still without power and the power company has destroyed the trees in my backyard. I'm loving devastated right now.
That super sucks, speedfriend - but why are they destroying the trees in your backyard if it affects the entire county, which I think you said earlier?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

The Lobster posted:

This hugely sucks, I’m sorry to hear that :( I hope it gets fixed sometime today for you.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

The Lobster posted:

I hope your power comes back soon and I'm sorry for the loss of your trees :(

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Wow that sucks. Hopefully they will at least plant some new ones to replace them.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

D. Ebdrup posted:

That super sucks, speedfriend - but why are they destroying the trees in your backyard if it affects the entire county, which I think you said earlier?

The county part is getting fixed part by part. I also said there was a line down in my yard. A lot of the county's power has been restored; my across the street neighbors only lost power for four hours and downtown was only out for two, for example.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

TeaJay posted:

Wow that sucks. Hopefully they will at least plant some new ones to replace them.

Haha, hahahahaha, hahahahahahahahaha. Good joke.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Lobster posted:

The county part is getting fixed part by part. I also said there was a line down in my yard. A lot of the county's power has been restored; my across the street neighbors only lost power for four hours and downtown was only out for two, for example.
Wow, RNGesus has not blessed you at all, speedfriend. Hope you get back up and running as soon as possible, and that the loss of trees at least means less mosquitos (there were some trees around where I live that got removed, and there's a lot less mosquitos now which is good because I'm allergic)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Haha, hahahahaha, hahahahahahahahaha. Good joke.

I know, but my dad had a situation where they chipped a bit of his yard while making a new road and he got some new plants from the municipality afterwards.

It might be a force majeure - type of thing though, which sucks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

D. Ebdrup posted:

Wow, RNGesus has not blessed you at all, speedfriend. Hope you get back up and running as soon as possible, and that the loss of trees at least means less mosquitos (there were some trees around where I live that got removed, and there's a lot less mosquitos now which is good because I'm allergic)

No, RNGesus hates me this week. :negative:

Do mosquitoes live in white pine?

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

🇻 🇮 🇧 🇷 🇦 🇹 🇪 against obstacles

to 🇹 🇷 🇦 🇳 🇸 🇨 🇪 🇳 🇩

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Here is my dumb utilities failure related story:

A bunch of years back the major phone company here (BT) was upgrading the phone lines around this area, putting in fibre optic lines so we could actually get internet connections better than those forgotten in the 90s. I live in a poor rural area so we had a priority due to governments grants or something as we were ignored for so long because it’s rural Cornwall, and no one cares.

There was a team of contractors that came in to dig up the roads to get to the cables, then the BT engineers came to install the fibre optic in the holes, then another team come back to fill in the holes.

A small problem was discovered when everyone’s telephone lines and internet connections on this rural housing estate don’t come back on, and BT and the contractors have gone. We get in touch with BT, they have no idea (because of course they don’t) and get everyone to individually run internet tests and phone tests because got to go by the tech support script. Eventually we manage to get enough anger/complaints for BT to seriously look into it, find nothing wrong on their end or at the exchange, and they say they’ll get people out to look at the work as they grudgingly admit the problem is there.

Two weeks later. Two weeks. Without phone or internet in a rural area. Technicians and a work crew finally turn up to dig the road up and look at the lines. We find out that basically the entirety of one section of work was just cut in half and ruined, due to the incomplete add if the work crew that filled in the roads when they were there. Everyone is pretty sure that work crew knew exactly what they did, because it was incredibly obvious when they finally dug up enough to find the problem, but they filled it in anyway to avoid trouble or more work.

Luckily BT and the new crew fixed everything and not long after that I joined the modern world with a super fast fibre optic connection and it was/is awesome.

I think only one person here managed to get any kind of compensation because technically it was his reported fault as he got someone competent to talk to first to arrange for technicians to look into it and lol the phone company didn’t care about anyone else.

E: that was way longer, boring, and unrelated than I thought it would be, sorry

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
I always thought mosquitoes were more a standing water thing, do they live in trees?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This run is technically impressive but it sure could use a Covertmuffin on the commentary. They are so low energy it makes the run just feel longer than it actually is.

Not saying it's bad or anything but I just have trouble getting into it. Maybe it's not the most interesting category?

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

parabolic posted:

to 🇹 🇷 🇦 🇳 🇸 🇨 🇪 🇳 🇩

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
:kazooieass:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I guess I will stop complaining now since you all can see for yourselves but they're gone and still no power.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

parabolic posted:

to 🇹 🇷 🇦 🇳 🇸 🇨 🇪 🇳 🇩

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Royal Rat Authority is the worst boss.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

The Lobster posted:

I guess I will stop complaining now since you all can see for yourselves but they're gone and still no power.

I'm assuming the trees are on your property. Did they not need to ask for permission to cut them?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Lobster posted:

No, RNGesus hates me this week. :negative:

Do mosquitoes live in white pine?
Mosquitos love all kinds of trees, but especially pine trees as far as I know.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

Mosquitos love all kinds of trees, but especially pine trees as far as I know.

Why do we even have mosquitoes? <:mad:>

Is there some important thing that eats them or something?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

I always thought mosquitoes were more a standing water thing, do they live in trees?
Most species have the males feeding off plants, so that may have something to do with it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Raised By Birds posted:

I'm assuming the trees are on your property. Did they not need to ask for permission to cut them?

Yes they are our trees. No, they don't need to ask permission because the power lines run through them so they have right of way.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

Why do we even have mosquitoes? <:mad:>

Is there some important thing that eats them or something?
Nope. They're basically at the top of a large amounts of food chains, because they suck blood from a lot of animals including humans and don't have anything in particular hunting them (spiders will eat them sometimes, if they fly into their nets - but that's because spider buddies aren't picky eaters).
There's been talk of using Cas9-CRISPR to modify a mosquito genome such that all the females, which are the only ones that suck blood iirc, will be rendered sterile in a few generations (since Cas9-CRISPR can be used to program genes generations in advance) since there's no immediate downside to this - but Cas9-CRISPR was recently found to not be as great as the science press would have everyone believe.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Remember, just hit R1 and occasionally roll and you can beat any Dark Souls boss.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

There's a room here, I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

parabolic posted:

There's a room here, I swear

• Locked thread