Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Who could have thought ordering something as simple as a novel public transportation system from a rabid, flailing hype machine nation through a byzantine and corrupt procurement process would lead to somewhat suboptimal results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BYD being poo poo aside, the point now goes back to battery buses are possible and Seattle (King County) will order 120 more by 2020, with the goal to be all electric by 2040. L.A. says by 2030 but with what we've seen hope they make better purchasing choices for that.

Also mentioned was battery prices being high. The thing I haven't checked out and I'm actually more excited about the cars is how is Tesla's Gigafactory in Nevada doing at producing cells? Are prices going down? What part of high prices is production capability versus raw materials (mining lithium)?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I for one am shocked, shocked to hear that Los Angeles County has a terrible public transportation system.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Finger Prince posted:

I for one am shocked, shocked to hear that Los Angeles County has a terrible public transportation system.

Nobody said that though.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Outlander report: Got 636 miles on the odometer and used approx 3 gallons of gas. First electric bill was approx $25-30 more. No issues wish I could have Apple Carplay in my Mazda.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just got an email that the Model 3 is available to order in all configurations, including AWD. (I signed up for Solar Roof emails though,not model 3 info, friggin assholes.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Does that include the $35,000 strippo model?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Full text for you:

quote:

Model 3 is available to order, and no reservation is required in the US. We’re now offering all our best options—including our Long Range and Performance configurations with dual motor all-wheel drive. You can design and order yours today for delivery in approximately 2–4 months.

Go Anywhere

Model S, Model X and Model 3 are all capable of achieving around 300 miles of range on a single charge—and our goal is to get you anywhere beyond that with access to convenient charging options on any route. We are currently opening new Superchargers somewhere in the world every week, and as we learn of new popular routes and destinations, our global charging network will only continue to expand. Enter any route below and see how our network can keep you charged along the way.

Configurator link: (standard battery available in 6-9 months)
https://3.tesla.com/model3/design?&redirect=no#battery

Guess not.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
They're offering all their best options, not their worst ones.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I got the same email a few minutes ago, but they made this actual change a week or two back, there was some chat in this thread about it prior to the latest tesla bankruptcy derail.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmbo, my Credit Union denied my loan for 55k, and countered with 30k citing "The last car loan I had was only for $13,000 (I paid half up front) and I only have 4 years of credit history instead of 5."

My qualifications:
- 780 Credit score
- No missed payments ever
- A job history of 10 years with no gaps (4 jobs though.)
- $120,000/year in gross income

I did some research and found http://alliantpromos.org/tesla
It's not updated, but I ended up getting approved within an hour, and they gave me 3.24%.

I am pretty sure at this point my credit union just saw a 32 year old who wanted a mildly expensive car and instantly denied me.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

ratbert90 posted:

Lmbo, my Credit Union denied my loan for 55k, and countered with 30k citing "The last car loan I had was only for $13,000 (I paid half up front) and I only have 4 years of credit history instead of 5."

My qualifications:
- 780 Credit score
- No missed payments ever
- A job history of 10 years with no gaps (4 jobs though.)
- $120,000/year in gross income

I did some research and found http://alliantpromos.org/tesla
It's not updated, but I ended up getting approved within an hour, and they gave me 3.24%.

I am pretty sure at this point my credit union just saw a 32 year old who wanted a mildly expensive car and instantly denied me.

I guess 30 really is the new 20. What's risky about a 32 year old with a well-paying job and good credit?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ratbert90 posted:

No, it's about your credit union seeing a 32 year old with only 4 years of credit history. That's pretty much the issue at play here. It's a pretty big red flag since you should really have 3x the history at this point.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

No, it's about your credit union seeing a 32 year old with only 4 years of credit history. That's pretty much the issue at play here. It's a pretty big red flag since you should really have 3x the history at this point.

I've always paid in cash for everything. Unfortunately, renting doesn't positively affect your credit rating or I would have 3x the history. :shrug:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah they don't like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well, that's a dumb financial move in the USA, for the reasons you've discovered. Gotta play the game. It sucks but :capitalism:

I also only have like 7 years of credit history here because, as it turns out, the Canadian and US credit bureaus don't talk to each other even though at least two of the companies literally operate in both countries. So although I've had a perfect payment record going back to age 18, in a country with a nearly identical financial system to the USA, the first several years simply don't count here. Great work guys A+

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, pretty much.

Even if all you do is get a credit card at 18 and setup your phone bill to auto pay to it, that'll be huge down the line.

There's no advantage in dealing with cash in today's world and a shitton of disadvantages.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This also makes economic mobility a lot more difficult for the lower class.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like everything is working as designed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Do you really want to buy a Tesla right now with people on the waiting list still not receiving their cars?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Do you really want to buy a Tesla right now with people on the waiting list still not receiving their cars?

It's a reservation, and the loan is a pre-approval. I can wait. If it doesn't pan out then I am pretty sure it won't be fatal.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Anybody that wants a tesla (in US/Can) can order one. The people holding out at this point either want the short range battery, or are waiting for their own reasons (finances, waiting on a lease to end, etc).

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Non shitpost time.

So I love oddball cars, especially some of the early EVs, however wacky or impractical. I thought I knew all the major manufacturers US releases, like most things, I was wrong.

Introducing the US's first Lithium Battery EV from a mass manufacturer, the Nissan Altra:

[quote=
Nissan’s Altra-EV was engineered in 1997 at the
Nissan Technical Center in Atsugi, Japan, and manufactured at the Tochigi
assembly plant, Tochigi, Japan. The stated design goal for the Altra-EV was to
combine the versatility of a minivan with the environmental benefits of an EV.
The Altra-EV's chassis is based on the Nissan R'nessa station wagon
manufactured for the Japan market from 1997 to 2002.

The Altra-EV's manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) was $50,999 (in
1998 US dollars), had a published single charge range of 80 - 100 miles (161
km) and a maximum published range of 120 miles (190 km). Nissan claimed
0-50 mph (0-80 km/h) times of less than 12 seconds and the EPA reported that
the Altra-EV had an adjusted mileage (miles per equivalent of a gasoline
gallon) of 117 mpg-US (2.01 L/100 km; 141 mpg-imp) in city driving and 130
mpg-US (1.8 L/100 km; 160 mpg-imp) in highway driving.
[quote/]

The Altra-EV was the first OEM EV of the 1990s to utilize Li-ion (lithium ion)
traction batteries which were developed jointly by Nissan and Sony
Corporation. The traction pack consisted of 96 cells configured in 12 modules
with 8 cells per module yielding 32.4 kWh. Each module weighs 67lbs., with a
traction pack total weight of 804 lbs. (363kg). Modules were rated at 95 amp
hours and a total pack nominal voltage of 345v. The traction pack was housed
in an aluminum battery carrier located under floor in the center of the vehicle
and required five hours to completely recharge via Delco's (originally Hughes
Power Systems) 220vac - 30amp Magne Charge off-board inductive 6.6kW
paddle system (LPI).

The Altra EV's four-passenger sedan style body was marketed as a roomy
minivan style interior, and, at the time Nissan boasted that the Alta-EV lacked
their perceived “clumsiness of layout that many other engineer designed
electric cars exhibit.” Nissan also advertised that the Altra-EV was specifically
designed for the American market and had available space for all the things
“Americans lug around.” Nissan seemed to feel (c1998) that the Altra-EV's
styling matched future trends where, as they noted, “tall and functional would
outweigh low and sleek,” yet claimed concurrently that it was designed with
aerodynamic efficiency in mind, yet the Altra-EV's published CD is 0.36.
[/quote]

drat Nissan.

Source: http://www.tzev.com/1998_2002_nissan_altra-ev.html

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 25, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It kinda looks like a first-gen Honda HR-V, I guess it was from the same era.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of electric buses, London are getting 37 double deckers from BYD. https://insideevs.com/byd-adl-to-deliver-37-double-deckers-to-london/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
One of my dad's friends is a career man at the local power company. I remember in the 90's he was driving around an electric car with the power company's branding on the side for a few months as a promotional thing.

I remember that the car was both spacey-looking and hideous even by 90's standards

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Speaking of electric buses, London are getting 37 double deckers from BYD. https://insideevs.com/byd-adl-to-deliver-37-double-deckers-to-london/

How are the British at building buses? Anything like their trains?

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

canyoneer posted:

One of my dad's friends is a career man at the local power company. I remember in the 90's he was driving around an electric car with the power company's branding on the side for a few months as a promotional thing.

I remember that the car was both spacey-looking and hideous even by 90's standards

Was it in SoCal? A former consultant we hired had worked at the largest one in SoCal and drove every single domestically released one including the one I just posted. Some of these cars were made specifically for these utilities, like the aforementioned ford ranger EV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Charles posted:

How are the British at building buses? Anything like their trains?

BYD isn’t British.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

canyoneer posted:

A few of my fathers coworkers at Florida Power and Light had EV1 leases through FPL. It was my first ride in an EV. Did it look like this:

?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Subjunctive posted:

BYD isn’t British.

Click the link!

quote:

The partnership between Chinese BYD and British Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) continues and recently fruited with another big order for electric buses in London.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MrYenko posted:

A few of my fathers coworkers at Florida Power and Light had EV1 leases through FPL. It was my first ride in an EV. Did it look like this:

?

Man that might have been it. The 90's was a dark age for car aesthetics.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
There was literally one electric car available in that time period. The EV1.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Charles posted:

Click the link!

Cheating.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

drgitlin posted:

This was in Tucson, and looking at the EV1 Wikipedia page:

quote:

The EV1 was made available through limited lease-only agreements, initially to residents of the cities of Los Angeles, California, and Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona.

:ms:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
There’s a pretty obscure documentary about it if you’re interested!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

drgitlin posted:

I’ll give you that the S-10, and Ranger were trucks, but Honda also had the EV Plus. Which was an electric car in the 90s, that at the end of the leases were taken back and destroyed.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Ola posted:

What a waste, they should just get one 74 decker bus.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Why were all the ev-1s destroyed? I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for it, but I just keep thinking "big oil got scared". Didn't the leasees love it?

it was the stonecutters, wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
All's I remember reading is conspiracy theories about GM not wanting to bring The Electric Car Revolution when they were perfectly happy selling and maintaining ICE vehicles, thank you very much. As far as actually sourced opinions, nada.

• Locked thread