Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Outrail posted:

I guess this goes in this thread. Let's pretend for a second that I'm very dim. How do mega corps post huge profits and make payouts to shareholders and at the same time not pay any taxes? Like what's the rationale here?

E:

Not the legal stuff, I mean what's the rationale for the masses not rising up and curb stomping the board of directors until they make sure the company pays their fair?

I dont see the problem. Company benevolently decides it wants to be headquartered in <insert town here>.

To do that it has to sink costs into capital, equipment and labor. To do this would be impossible while also paying local taxes, besides, <insert town here> will already benefit because Company is providing wages to locals who get taxed locally. Company threatens to relocate unless it can get tax breaks locally, and local municipality caves in, because their interests are more in keeping that civilian tax base paying.

On a federal level, well we can shift profits and expenses around so the we can show no taxable profit while still making shitloads from an operating level.

Tl;dr corporations can both directly negotiate their taxes, and can use loopholes/rules to decrease their tax liability. Its purposely constructed this way atm.

Oscar Wild has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Miami Marlins tried to (or did do, who knows) that when Dade County tried to sue them for part of their profits since they paid for the Marlin's new baseball stadium. The Marlins then said that they couldn't be sued at the county level and it had to be a federal case because they were an international company based in the British Virgin Islands.

People went out and the only thing that they have is a single PO box. No capital, equipment or labor or anything like that.

https://deadspin.com/marlins-man-visits-marlins-off-shore-corporate-home-fi-1825266414

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wild posted:

To do this would be impossible while also paying local taxes

lol

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reminder to all y'all who get mad as heck about welfare queens of benefit scroungers or whatnot: a tax break of 100,000 dollars that's not being paid in tax is equivilent budgetwise to 100,000 dollars taken up by 1000 "scoungers".

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Outrail posted:

I guess this goes in this thread. Let's pretend for a second that I'm very dim. How do mega corps post huge profits and make payouts to shareholders and at the same time not pay any taxes? Like what's the rationale here?

Certain states/cities around the world have low corporate taxes. So let's say you start an LLC in Denver but you file your papers in, let's say, Delaware because they offer lower taxes as an incentive.

Or you be like a town close to me that has a VERY high unemployment rate and lots of unskilled labor. Some outsourced IT firm, like the kind you call for home internet tech support, wanted to open a call center in an abandoned office complex and promised 500 jobs. Well the local city government went nuts over this because its a ghost town and they offered tons of incentives and tax breaks. So the Mayor and city counsel get to brag about how they created jobs. But in the call center no one worked more than 25 hours a week and got paid barely over minimum wage and no benefits.
And its a lovely call center job so turn around was very high.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Apprentice Dick posted:

Yeah, my company has a strong full coverage option for $80/month for singles, or they have a HSA based lovely coverage option for $50/month. I have no idea who would sign up for the lovely one, but they keep offering it year over year.

Because people keep taking it since it's cheaper and they bank on just not getting sick or injured. Me and a few friends were talking about that the other day and I'm the only one who isn't on an HSA plan. They all took it because "the company puts money in for us so it's like free money" and they might not have as lovely a plan as my companies HSA but we have a $10,000 deductible before it actually covers anything so uh...gently caress that?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Outrail posted:

E:

Not the legal stuff, I mean what's the rationale for the masses not rising up and curb stomping the board of directors until they make sure the company pays their fair?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good Dog posted:

The Miami Marlins tried to (or did do, who knows) that when Dade County tried to sue them for part of their profits since they paid for the Marlin's new baseball stadium. The Marlins then said that they couldn't be sued at the county level and it had to be a federal case because they were an international company based in the British Virgin Islands.

People went out and the only thing that they have is a single PO box. No capital, equipment or labor or anything like that.

https://deadspin.com/marlins-man-visits-marlins-off-shore-corporate-home-fi-1825266414

The entire loving state of Delaware is empty PO boxes that businesses claim as their corporate HQ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The entire loving state of Delaware is empty PO boxes that businesses claim as their corporate HQ

Wait a sec, has anyone ever actually seen Delaware? Hell I don't think I've even seen a Delaware license plate...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Hell thousands of them have their address as one specific building that contains nothing more than a very bored receptionist who will tell you about the building but literally nothing else.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

The funny thing is that he's kinda right. Most public libraries in the US began as donations to communities by mega-capitalist, Andrew Carnegie.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neutrino posted:

The funny thing is that he's kinda right. Most public libraries in the US began as donations to communities by mega-capitalist, Andrew Carnegie.

That doesn't make it kinda right.

There was no suggestion of charity.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Outrail posted:

E:

The only thing I can think of is the pay is still taxed.

So if you bring in some factory/warehouse/call center/whatever your area will get the benefit of the income/property/sales/etc taxes on the people that work there.

Also, I'm pretty sure that payouts to shareholders are taxed.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Wait a sec, has anyone ever actually seen Delaware? Hell I don't think I've even seen a Delaware license plate...

Hey now I live in de and those license plates can cost six figures on the market if they are low digit ones that have been passed down from generation to generation. http://www.lowdigittags.com/29.html

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

E:

When you give your money to McDonalds, that money first goes into the corporate bank account untaxed. Then McDonalds uses some of that money to pay employees, at which point it is taxed as income. McDonalds also uses that money to buy stuff from other companies, in which case it is transferred to the corporate bank accounts of the other companies, again untaxed.

Critically, when McDonalds uses that corporate money to pay for yachts for the top level executives, it is untaxed, so those executives basically get extra untaxable income.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...c&sf194259614=1

Powerhouse Museum uses public money to prop up fashion fundraiser, at a loss of over $200k. Over 150 guests but only $1200 was donated to the fundraiser.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...c&sf194259614=1

Powerhouse Museum uses public money to prop up fashion fundraiser, at a loss of over $200k. Over 150 guests but only $1200 was donated to the fundraiser.

Sounds like a great excuse to cut the entire arts and museums budget

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Delaware is one of only six states that has never been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. Makes you think. :thunk:

The others are Arkansas, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Vermont.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Outrail posted:

E:

:capitalism::d2a:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Like that South Park episode except with cat poop and small businesses.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Delaware is one of only six states that has never been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. Makes you think. :thunk:

The others are Arkansas, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Vermont.

Man Arkansas has a great dive bar with one of the best burgers I've ever had

You know the one I'm talking about. Yes that one. They serve burgers.

Mtthnsly
Jan 19, 2009

Let's all get fucked up and make fun of internet weirdos! Including ourselves.
Tortured By Flan

Also if you make corporations pay taxes, they'll move everything overseas to No Tax Land and you'll be out of a job!

When I worked in manufacturing for a international company this was a real fear for a lot of people. There were a decent amount of people who just kissed rear end like you wouldn't believe in the hopes that if lay offs or relocations happened they would be a part of them. Those guys were the minority though. Also In a big part thanks to the union we had the layoffs never happened. A lot of people had to relocate which sucked for more than a few of them but it was a company very well known for massive lay offs at the end of a project.

Mtthnsly
Jan 19, 2009

Tortured By Flan
I think my biggest issue with capitalism is that it more a political system now than economic. The idea that if you provide a good service or create/make something well you should get compensated properly for what you do. But now it's literally cut every corner we can legally to save a buck and then lobby with that saved money to make regulations looser so we can save even more!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Mtthnsly posted:

I think my biggest issue with capitalism is that it more a political system now than economic. The idea that if you provide a good service or create/make something well you should get compensated properly for what you do. But now it's literally cut every corner we can legally to save a buck and then lobby with that saved money to make regulations looser so we can save even more!

influencing politics to further your economic interests is not new. after exploiting the rest of the world and giving a poo poo about the repercussions, corporations have grown in size to the point where they can do this at home, and get away with it.

e: do this at home, again

mike12345 has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Jul 25, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mtthnsly posted:

capitalism has always been extremely political

convincing you that politics and the economic system are different is part of the propaganda

Mtthnsly
Jan 19, 2009

Tortured By Flan

comedyblissoption posted:

capitalism has always been extremely political

convincing you that politics and the economic system are different is part of the propaganda

Of course it is, has, and will be. The idea that you just have to work hard enough and you'll be ahave a 1000 10,000 be a millionaire. It's like winning the lottery if you want to get anywhere past middle class at least in the amazing U.S. of ' Merica.

Although if you have no morals then yeah you can make enough money to live quite well.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Neutrino posted:

He is advocating replacing a publicly good with a private one, how are these even remotely the same? He isn't advocating Amazon replace libraries with free amazon bookstores.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Mtthnsly posted:

There is no hard distinction between economics and politics. The study of economics used to be called "political economy" for a reason, that is before all the soothsaying money priests with their fraudulent mathematics got involved.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1022066434355212288?s=21

Holy poo poo. Motherfucker is crowdfunding his fine for subverting democracy.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Where’s the KY brand shoe

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Now I legit wanna brand my shoes with Stubbs.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
same, but Cholula

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Now I legit wanna brand my shoes with Stubbs.

:eyepop:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes are almost a thing now

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Adbot