Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He's easy to blame and I've heard some bad stories (we're making FFXV a musical now!)
But I feel kinda bad for him. He found out he was the project director for the FF7 remake when his name popped up during the E3 reveal trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

He's easy to blame and I've heard some bad stories (we're making FFXV a musical now!)
But I feel kinda bad for him. He found out he was the project director for the FF7 remake when his name popped up during the E3 reveal trailer.

I'd definitely agree there, considering SE saddled him with three of their biggest projects and that's just not going to end well for anyone. Taking FFXV away from him was to his benefit as much as everyone else's really.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Played some pool panic. Very cute. The scared balls that run from you keep messing me up tho. Think i need to only hit them indirectly with less frightened balls so that they arent scampering all over.
Not sure if i really love the gameplay though but the cartoon style is perfect for adultswims audience.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nomura was the only person at Square-Enix that they trusted to handle a AAA title. Tabata did a good job with 15 all things considered but there's a bunch of other producers and such over there who haven't headed up a major big budget title in a long time like Kawazu.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just finished Wolfenstein 2 on Switch and I thought the game was fantastic. The story/characters are great, the action is brutal and the Switch port itself held together nicely even in really hectic moments. I hope they port over New Order, Old Blood and Youngblood as well.

The game would be best played on PC or other systems but I’d recommend if you want it portable or if you’re a weirdo like me that only has a Switch as your only modern console.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 25, 2018

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've got a Switch coming to me in a couple days, and I'm looking at Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Odyssey, MK8 and Octopath Traveler as titles to get. Is there going to be a physical release of Hollow Knight? I'm dying to play that one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Those are all great choices. I wouldn’t be surprised if HK gets a physical release down the road but nothing has been announced right now.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Policenaut posted:

Nomura was the only person at Square-Enix that they trusted to handle a AAA title.

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about regardless of the quality of the final product. How did a massive corporation like Square get to a point where there was only a single man in the company that they trusted with a project? And why do they trust that guy when he just seems to put belts on everything as his one defining trait?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Square-Enix tends to make lovely games, but occasionally releases a really good new IP that they never make into a franchise.

First was The World Ends With You.

Then there was The Last Remnant

Bravely Default got a sequel but that's it.

Now it's Octopath.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enter the Gungeon is fun but a real pain in the rear end. I think I'd like it more if certain aspects were like 25% easier or it wasn't so stingy with health refills.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

punk rebel ecks posted:

Square-Enix tends to make lovely games, but occasionally releases a really good new IP that they never make into a franchise.

First was The World Ends With You.

Then there was The Last Remnant

Bravely Default got a sequel but that's it.

Now it's Octopath.

The Last Remnant is super underrated and got totally ignored. It's super cheap on PC now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about regardless of the quality of the final product. How did a massive corporation like Square get to a point where there was only a single man in the company that they trusted with a project? And why do they trust that guy when he just seems to put belts on everything as his one defining trait?

There’s also the guy that did the FFXIV remake because he is really really good at his job.

And Nomura has turned out a shitload of hits including the company’s defining game so that’s probably why (that and lovely corporate politics)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Now that I think about it I’m sad Vagrant Story never went anywhere. I had a lot of problems with its gameplay at the time (so easy to accidentally end up with weapons that do no damage to anything) but there’s never been anything else like it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Heath posted:

The Last Remnant is super underrated and got totally ignored. It's super cheap on PC now.

I agree.

I mean the game isn't "great", but it is very good and well worth playing. It should have gotten at least some fanfare and was worthy of becoming a franchise. Receiving a 66 on Metacritic (including the PC port that fixed the horrid screen tearing) is insane. The game is a solid 8 out of 10 (on a common gaming rating scale).

There were a lot of new JRPG IPs in 2007/2008 that sprung up that never got actual sequels. Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, and The Last Remnant. All exclusive to the Xbox 360.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most people probably played the horribly broken and never fixed beta version of the game on 360.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

THIS is the upcoming No More Heroes game!?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ecm-nNsa5g

WTF!? This isn't like No More Heroes at all!?!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Most people probably played the horribly broken and never fixed beta version of the game on 360.

True but to be fair it still reviewed mediocrely on PC. And the PC version sold more then the 360 version.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now that I think about it I’m sad Vagrant Story never went anywhere. I had a lot of problems with its gameplay at the time (so easy to accidentally end up with weapons that do no damage to anything) but there’s never been anything else like it.

The menus are my biggest gripe you gotta be in them sooo much unless idk what im doing.
Im really bad at rhythm mechanics in games but vagrant story was always cool enough to make me try and concentrate on not loving up

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

THIS is the upcoming No More Heroes game!?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ecm-nNsa5g

WTF!? This isn't like No More Heroes at all!?!?

True but to be fair it still reviewed mediocrely on PC. And the PC version sold more then the 360 version.

The gameplay was the worst part of no more heroes to be fair

This looks infinitely more interesting

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The gameplay was the worst part of no more heroes to be fair

This looks infinitely more interesting

No More Heroes 1 was very fun to play. Sure it wasn't "deep" but it was very satisfying and replayable.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Real hurthling! posted:

The only outright bad decision is the giant pauses between every line of dialog that make the cutscenes interminable

If you could advance them it would be way less likely to make me skip

Yes, the pauses are infuriating. It took me 10 hours to recruit all 8 characters without skipping any cutscenes. Game is good though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Well it seems S-E are still interested in The World Ends With You, maybe if the Switch port does well they'll look at a follow up. I skipped it on the DS for some reason so I'm looking forward to getting a chance to play it now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I absolutely hated the touch controls in TWEWY so hopefully I'll get on better with the Switch version.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

Well it seems S-E are still interested in The World Ends With You, maybe if the Switch port does well they'll look at a follow up. I skipped it on the DS for some reason so I'm looking forward to getting a chance to play it now.

I wouldn't call it "interested" so much as "The Switch has compatible hardware with our phone version".

Not that I'm complaining about it getting a Switch version, mind you.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Redoing the control scheme for a third time is probably more time-intensive than it would be to port the game to a different CPU architecture.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've seen people complaining about lag in these mega man x games, especially 1-3, but as someone who has played these a lot I really haven't noticed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm just really confused by "Square-Enix is a hosed up disaster company!" talk. They make massively successful games, they own some of the biggest franchises, and for fucks sake they have two successful MMOs.

Yeah I can't imagine why anyone thinks this about a company that produced FFXIV 1.0, was staring at bankruptcy (again) because of it, and was only saved by YoshiP being a miracle worker. All while they flubbed around for a decade on another game that still came out feeling woefully incomplete and rushed.

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's because it's still a mediocre game with a bad combat system. Even fixing things like "catguy thinks about using magic, if you don't stop him it cripples his usefulness because he's poo poo with magic" doesn't change the core problems of the game just not being good.

It's not Infinite Undiscovery levels of bad but it's still a bad game. Lost Odyssey deserves a sequel far more than Last Remnant ever will.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Heath posted:

I've got a Switch coming to me in a couple days, and I'm looking at Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Odyssey, MK8 and Octopath Traveler as titles to get. Is there going to be a physical release of Hollow Knight? I'm dying to play that one.

Pretty sure there is, yes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/surgeonsim/status/1022104187167956993

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Apple and Nintendo are interchangeable companies anyway.
One thing Nintendo has generally done well over the years is find a balance between incorporating the latest technology while keeping things affordable. Their best selling devices--the Game Boy, DS, Wii, etc., and even the 3DS/2DS specifically eschewed the most expensive technologies in order to keep the price low, but they're not cheap crap either. It made them affordable for parents to purchase for their kids, or even impulse purchase for themselves.

Apple is nearly the opposite. Their devices take the latest technology and turn them into fantastic, but premium-priced experiences. An iPhone is great but you can only buy one every few years at best, and the only "cheap" iPhone is an old iPhone. They're not playing the same game that Nintendo is, and so they're not interchangeable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

also apple don't make gaming consoles and nintendo don't make phones so that interchangeable statement was loving idiotic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Square-Enix I figured has a LOT of franchise favouritism towards Final Fantasy, and maybe to a lesser extent Kingdom Hearts (because of the Disney license probably) while being incredibly conservative or just disinterested towards everything else, probably assuming a franchise needs name recognition above all to sell.

I'm reminded of how apparently FF13's development was so incredibly wasteful that they made two sequels just to make use of all the leftover assets.

There's the argument that both Apple and Nintendo have a walled garden approach with their hardware, which would be fair. Though I'm still surprised that the Switch was basically a clean break from the compatible hardware lines of the Wii and Wii U. (which does mean that the NES and SNES Mini controllers having Wiimote plugs no longer is as much of a draw)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hell, even their founders/important figures are deeply different. Steve Jobs was an rear end in a top hat! Most of the big Nintendo figures are generally well liked

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

thetoughestbean posted:

Hell, even their founders/important figures are deeply different. Steve Jobs was an rear end in a top hat! Most of the big Nintendo figures are generally well liked

Steve Jobs, a very rich man who could've gone to the best hospitals in the world and has his very curable cancer taken care of quite easily early on, died because he decided that doctors were stupid and he was going to treat his cancer with a special blend of 11 herbs and spices.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Heath posted:

Is there going to be a physical release of Hollow Knight? I'm dying to play that one.
There will be, but there's no details yet. I suspect they'll start getting serious about it after the last content update goes out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yamauchi was known as a somewhat eccentric hardass, but personable and well liked in person.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Great/awful songmaker of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_zAxPqKa8Y
Was hired to sing/remix/ruin fzero for smash ultimate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3qmEh9jWbM

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Steve Jobs, a very rich man who could've gone to the best hospitals in the world and has his very curable cancer taken care of quite easily early on, died because he decided that doctors were stupid and he was going to treat his cancer with a special blend of 11 herbs and spices.

you can't kentucky fry cancer, steve

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tim Cook was even like "Hey I can donate you some of that organ you need to live, turns out I'm a match" and Steve Jobs was like "Nah I'm good"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

poo poo we need a new Trauma Center game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Yamauchi was known as a somewhat eccentric hardass, but personable and well liked in person.

From what I've heard Hiroshi Yamauchi was a creepy rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread