Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Enchanted Hat posted:

Sure, Armand. Anyways, as I was saying, I make the most wicked barbecue this side of Georgia.

georgia is not known for its barbecue :confused: silly euro devs

the big regional variations of barbecue are carolina, kansas, and texas (carolina is the best) with other outliers which are generally just combinations of these traditions or local variations, with the exception of alabama barbecue, which is utterly disgusting. but there's no particular barbecue tradition or dish associated with georgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Aesculus posted:

Holy poo poo, I just noticed something on the Cinnamon buns recipe:

Five hundred and sixty-two grams of sugar? That's more cinnamon than in the Crepes Marcie!

Also a kilogram/two pounds of flour??? Is this a banquet dish or something?

562,5 grams of brown sugar
there's also 150 additional grams of white sugar at the bottom

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of the LP you should totally make a restaurant/s that have only the absurd recipies on them, and then write up a what-if kitchen nightmares episode where Gordon Ramsay goes to one of those restaurants.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

So chefs earn experience for specific dishes as they cook them. But do they gain experience in the overall styles, like french mains, as well? Or is that just a fixed talent value telling you which kitchen closet to stuff them in and you're done?

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

luxury handset posted:

georgia is not known for its barbecue :confused: silly euro devs
That's why it's easy for him to make the most wicked barbecue on this side of Georgia. Because other people are not making any barbecue :eng101: Also, the dev is Chinese.

Armand's such a goon when it comes to women :allears:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Music Junkie posted:

I am seriously enjoying this thread. I've never heard of this game, but honestly, this is great. The recipes are RIDICULOUS with ingredient proportions and it's funny seeing what comes up with next, I look forward to it. :allears: Please tell me we get more American chefs with crazy nicknames.

Absolutely we are! This is America, every American has a cool nickname!

TitanG posted:

That's one and a half pounds of sugar for breakfast. That wouldn't even give you diabetes, you'd just die instantly.

Last Transmission posted:

So chefs earn experience for specific dishes as they cook them. But do they gain experience in the overall styles, like french mains, as well? Or is that just a fixed talent value telling you which kitchen closet to stuff them in and you're done?

Yeah, exactly. Chefs quickly get XP for individual recipes, but they also very slowly get XP for broader classes of recipes, like French mains or Italian desserts. So if your chef has 40% skill at French mains, for example, and you add a new French main to your restaurant, the chef will cook it at 40% skill until his recipe-specific skill gets better than 40%.

Although this is very convenient for updating the menu at your restaurants, because it means that customers won't complain about the new dishes being cooked by an amateur, it's not particularly useful in cooking competitions because a chef will cook a recipe vastly better at 100% skill than at, say, 70% skill. I think the last time I played this I had Armand at 100% skill in a couple of categories by the very end of the game, but for most of the game you'll still have to train any recipes you want to use at tournaments.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The recommended daily allowance for sugar is 25 to 38 grams per day, with the average American consuming 82 grams per day.

That's 8.5 times the amount of sugar the average American eats per day, and 28.5 times the amount recommended for a small woman. In a single meal!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I like to think the devs found the ingredient list for like, making a baker's dozen and just put it down as one cinnamon bun.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

luxury handset posted:

(carolina is the best)

I'm gonna fight you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

We're doing this, aren't we.

Sounds like we have a volunteer.

luxury handset posted:

the big regional variations of barbecue are carolina, kansas, and texas (carolina is the best) with other outliers which are generally just combinations of these traditions or local variations, with the exception of alabama barbecue, which is utterly disgusting. but there's no particular barbecue tradition or dish associated with georgia

Which Carolina? South Carolina mustard based?

MaxieSatan posted:

Anyway, I for one think that Armand is extremely sincere about this, especially since his cooking staff has consisted entirely of men up to this point. Pic unrelated.

Armand is woke as gently caress.

quote:

"What are your skills?"
"I've got blood in my veins, Mr. Leboeuf."

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think he's saying his only skill is having a heartbeat. Considering the recipes he brought in I am inclined to agree.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like it's something lost in translation, it's serviceable, but there's definitely points where it's clearly not done by a native English speaker.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 25, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I might try my hand at some of these recipes, just, y'know, not in the pound of oil or cinnamon variants.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?!
Maybe he meant to say he has cinnamon in his veins? On a slightly more serious note my guess would be that he is passionate about cooking.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Poil posted:

Maybe he meant to say he has cinnamon in his veins? On a slightly more serious note my guess would be that he is passionate about cooking.

It means he has no skill set. He is alive, that's it. It's terminology used in kitchens to mean someone is poo poo.

"Well, at least he's got blood in his veins"

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I like to think that Armand didn't know what it meant, so he hired Stan because he just assumed it was something good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Just like me. :downs:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It means he has no skill set. He is alive, that's it. It's terminology used in kitchens to mean someone is poo poo.

"Well, at least he's got blood in his veins"
Ah, that makes more sense.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Enchanted Hat posted:

I like to think that Armand didn't know what it meant, so he hired Stan because he just assumed it was something good.

That guy is our new BBQ chief from Georgia, so i guess Armand prefers his steaks extra-bloody.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

How do you get a nickname if your main qualification is that you're a warm body?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

How do you get a nickname if your main qualification is that you're a warm body?

Well, if his main quality is that he has blood in his veins and can do simple labour, isn't "The Man" a perfect nickname? It implies absolutely nothing about him except that he's a guy who works at the restaurant. Stan "Ecce Homo" Mazowski.

The real reason is that he gave himself the nickname :ssh:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I remember my dad bringing home this game on CD out of a bargain bin. I was really terrible at it and I don't think I ever made it too far, probably because of never figuring out that the clocks on recipes are a lie and make some stuff total garbage. Kinda nice to see it broken open, in more ways than one.

This LP is art :allears:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Maybe he thinks that Armand is a vampire.

:tinfoil: Maybe Armand is a vampire :tinfoil:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TitanG posted:

Thats 2 3/4 cups of brown sugar. Which, if you are making the filling fir a dozen good sized cinnamon rolls, is about right. I use 1/2 a cup of white sugar in my dough and 2 cups of powdered sugar for my frosting too. But that's my recipe.

Edit: Also Kansas BBQ is best and I will fight you on that.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I've nearly died from laughing, and I made my wife her first ever Pasta Carbonara meal, which she loved.

Thanks OP!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TheHoosier posted:

I've nearly died from laughing, and I made my wife her first ever Pasta Carbonara meal, which she loved.

Thanks OP!

Did you follow the recipe in the game?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ultrafilter posted:

Did you follow the recipe in the game?

Not that one. But ill tell ya what she's getting for breakfast...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheHoosier posted:

Not that one. But ill tell ya what she's getting for breakfast...

You just overturn a Tupperware container with a huge pile of cinnamon onto her plate, then delicately place a single crepe on top.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm going to guess it's a pound of brown sugar compressed into the shape of a cinnamon bun. With melted icing sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top for extra authenticity/lethality.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Glancing through the recipes, some of them are at least sorta feasible, although "good" is going to be an, uh, challenge.

I might give mixed pork casserole a try this weekend - I dunno how casserole-y I can make it, but I think at least edible is a reasonable bar to clear.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Thanks for fixing the tapestries OP! I didn’t realize they were sideways until later, but at that point I figured you would do something about it :v:

Do they all do the victory shuffle dance in sync? Can we get a .gif of this?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nondevor posted:

Can we get a .gif of this?

Pretty please?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Nondevor posted:

Can we get a .gif of this?

Sure, I had a backup save.

Each chef will randomly either dance or jump for joy!

Enchanted Hat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 26, 2018

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Also, I just noticed this after doing the contest again:

Armand is apparently being severely upstaged by his subordinates in the chef leaderboards.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Enchanted Hat posted:

This is incredible

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mario Corleone is the Left Shark of our outfit. WE WERE DOING THE JIG, NOT THE JUMPING JACK, MARIO!

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

habeasdorkus posted:

Mario Corleone is the Left Shark of our outfit. WE WERE DOING THE JIG, NOT THE JUMPING JACK, MARIO!

Listen, if the boss's son says he's gonna jump, you don't tell him no, you... uh, say how high, I think?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Enchanted Hat posted:

Oh man. This is a thing of beauty.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

562g brown sugar = 2118cal
125g butter = 471.25cal
4.5tsp cinnamon = 27 cal
2 (med) eggs = 130 cal
91.6tbsp (white) flour = 2564.8cal
375ml milk (semi) = 195cal
salt = 0cal
125g sugar (white) = 483.75cal
water = 0 cal.

TOTAL, per serving = 5989.8cal

Roughly three days worth of calories in one tasty after-dinner snack! Monty Python is 50 years old now, please don't

e: I got to thinking, with our new fremerican restaurant, we could probably do with a domestic-friendly brand that properly conveys the delicate fusion of old and new world cuisine that we're pioneering:

What do you think, too subtle? :ohdear:

lofi fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 27, 2018

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

lofi posted:

e: I got to thinking, with our new fremerican restaurant, we could probably do with a domestic-friendly brand that properly conveys the delicate fusion of old and new world cuisine that we're pioneering:

What do you think, too subtle? :ohdear:

I'm thinking tres bien! If I can find the right texture file, it'd actually be a cool front page for Gentille Alouette's menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I agree, that is magical. :allears:

• Locked thread