Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That just seems like such a weird line in the sand to draw. Are goons all in D.A.R.E. now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:chloe:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Like I’m not saying it’s great but out of “mass-murdering dictator,” “child-marrying theocrat,” and “sells drugs” one of those is clearly not equivalent

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just because some options are worse doesn’t mean all of the options aren’t Very Bad, like so bad they’re almost as bad as the dumb bait and switch “oh ho ho player you were the demons all along for supporting these people who were secretly evil”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Like I’m not saying it’s great but out of “mass-murdering dictator,” “child-marrying theocrat,” and “sells drugs” one of those is clearly not equivalent

In 2018 America I'm pretty sure it goes sells drugs > mass murderer > child marrying theocrat.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

This is insanely reductive :chloe:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I never got people’s issue with Amita. Like what was wrong with her, she wanted to finance her revolution by selling drugs, like every other rebel movement in the developing world?

The amita pill scorer

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It’s really important that what bothers you personally about the plot of a Far Cry video game where you personally murder dozens of other humans bother someone else to precisely the same degree.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

It’s really important that what bothers you personally about the plot of a Far Cry video game where you personally murder dozens of other humans bother someone else to precisely the same degree.

You’re playing Far Cry wrong if your body count is only in the dozens

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I never got people’s issue with Amita. Like what was wrong with her, she wanted to finance her revolution by selling drugs, like every other rebel movement in the developing world? Oh no that totally makes her worse than Metrosexual Kim Jong-Il or the guy that wants to marry a child to institute a theocracy or whatever his deal was.

It's also implied she murders said child in her ending, and in the weird future visions she forcibly conscripts villagers into her drug army and her revolution turns the country into a horrible narco state.

They're both equally bad in their own way, but fortunately you can just kill both of them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Make Amita lose but let her go, let Sabal win and then turn his face into a pincushion with the crossbow. Ideal ending.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Make Amita lose but let her go, let Sabal win and then turn his face into a pincushion with the crossbow. Ideal ending.

:cheers:

I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Rogue Remastered now and I think it's kinda cool that the bands in the taverns are playing instrumental versions of the sea shanties your crew can sing.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I never got people’s issue with Amita. Like what was wrong with her, she wanted to finance her revolution by selling drugs, like every other rebel movement in the developing world? Oh no that totally makes her worse than Metrosexual Kim Jong-Il or the guy that wants to marry a child to institute a theocracy or whatever his deal was.

She wanted to run the country's economy on drugs. Which would gently caress up the lives of everyone in it. So, yes, a bad thing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Some drugs are cool. Not the ones Amita wanted to sell.

And even if they were, expecting your entire nation's economy to soar based on people getting high of their tits over your production is...very optimistic, to say the least.

Mercosul would own that world if that were the case.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Amita's "Hey, let's run the economy on heroin!" plan probably wouldn't be well received. Other nations are, at least officially, supposed to frown on that sort of thing. Also, she murders the child Sabal would marry and the last scene you have with her if you side with her is literally her taking people's children so they can be soldiers in the Golden Path. So no, she is in no way better than Sabal.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Far Cry series' problem is the same issue GTA has had; the writers have a massively over inflated view of their talents, making every word that comes out of every character's mouth during every second of every cutscene utterly insufferable. I hate Vaas, if only because they went "let's just do that again" and have tried and failed every time. Troy Baker's stupid "metrosexual kim jong il" (:lol:) and every Seed reminded me of that stupid rear end in a top hat playing Lex in Batman v Superman. I don't hate the villain, I hate the performance, and would rather be watching/playing something else.

Fun to blow up dudes and spear them with shovels tho.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Things Dragging Down Far Cry 5:

Every single good thing it does is ripped out of Primal(the spear/shovel throwing) or 4(the gunplay) except it removes a bunch of other fun and good things those games do.
-They hired the shitforbrains that wrote Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3, and, oh my god, he wrote ANOTHER abortion of a plot that's basically him telling you all about how good and evil are actually exactly the same thing you stupid moron, you loving idiot bitch

Things dragging down Far Cry 5 Mars DLC:

-Every gun looks exactly the loving same and they're so excited to show you their fancy graphics that all the laser weapons fire laser bolts that somehow travel slower than bullets, so they're mostly "normal guns but lovely."
-I am so loving tired of Hurk. He was good in 3, and he was excellent in 4, but I'm getting flashbacks to Johnny Gat from Saint's Row; Far Cry 6 is gonna have trailers just to show off that Hurk is in it at this rate.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I had to check if I got this achievement and I'm close, one year more :arghfist::cheeky:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Lambeth posted:

I had to check if I got this achievement and I'm close, one year more :arghfist::cheeky:

:hfive:

We are dumb stupid people, but by god we're going to be the coolest people ever once we earn it :smuggo:.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
100% completion on Telltale games.

Including The Wolf Among Us. :smug:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Safeword posted:

100% completion on Telltale games.

Including The Wolf Among Us. :smug:

For those who haven’t played it: The Wolf Among Us has achievements for collecting all Book of Fables entries. Some of these entries can only be collected by making certain choices. So you have a story that is influenced by your choices, and it wants you to play it a second time if you want all the entries/achievements. It’s the ultimate way to pull the curtain on the game and to see how some of these choices didn’t really make a difference, it just made you think it had an impact. Ignorance is bliss, Telltale.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mierenneuker posted:

For those who haven’t played it: The Wolf Among Us has achievements for collecting all Book of Fables entries. Some of these entries can only be collected by making certain choices. So you have a story that is influenced by your choices, and it wants you to play it a second time if you want all the entries/achievements. It’s the ultimate way to pull the curtain on the game and to see how some of these choices didn’t really make a difference, it just made you think it had an impact. Ignorance is bliss, Telltale.

Each chapter has a single choice where you have to go to location A, then B, or B, then A. This is the only choice that affects the trophies you get.

Certain things do change, like someone will live or die based on this choice, but of course it has no effect on the rest of the game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Even looking at the steam achievements for the walking dead made it obvious that your choices don't matter. I didn't try any other telltale games after that.

I played through heavy rain recently because it was free on psplus and I had way more fun with it than I thought I would. I like that because you play as multiple people you can get yourself killed and still keep going with the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jukebox Hero posted:

-I am so loving tired of Hurk. He was good in 3, and he was excellent in 4, but I'm getting flashbacks to Johnny Gat from Saint's Row; Far Cry 6 is gonna have trailers just to show off that Hurk is in it at this rate.

At this point centering the games entirely on Hurk and his shenanigans would be a marked improvement for the series.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

rodbeard posted:

Even looking at the steam achievements for the walking dead made it obvious that your choices don't matter. I didn't try any other telltale games after that.

IIRC those are achievements for completing a part of an episode or completing the entire episode. Tales of the Borderlands has those as well. I think those are fine, even if they are boring and are just there because Microsoft required achievements. They’ve got nothing missable or other incentives to replay it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I meant the achievements made it obvious how much of the game was going to happen that way regardless of your choices. I guess I'm crazy for liking Heavy Rain better.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I will never understand “my choices don’t really matter game is poo poo and all games by them are poo poo” walking dead season 1 and wolf among us are both legitimately good and fun games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I will never understand “my choices don’t really matter game is poo poo and all games by them are poo poo” walking dead season 1 and wolf among us are both legitimately good and fun games.

If a game consists solely of discrete choices and the choices dont matter then there isnt much game and it could have been a movie or book

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Len posted:

It was somewhat misleading that they advertised that your choices would have a meaningful impact but it was mostly a change of path that would lead to the same outcome.

They're not outright bad(Most of them are, but not because of this) but it's kind of a let down when you read about other people's experiences and it ended up being the same as yours and all you had was a different line of dialogue or so.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The issue with "choices matter" is then they gotta write a different story for each choice / combination there of you make. I don't get hey people keep expecting it to happen.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ItBreathes posted:

The issue with "choices matter" is then they gotta write a different story for each choice / combination there of you make. I don't get hey people keep expecting it to happen.

Shadow the Hedgehog truly was ahead of its time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

If a game consists solely of discrete choices and the choices dont matter then there isnt much game and it could have been a movie or book

Alpha Protocol is on of the few games I can think of where the we’re really thorough about it. Not only do big choices matter, but so do wether or not you kill certain random enemies, or if you’ve been a dick to everyone or just one character. It’s short enough to replay and see entire plot threads you didn’t get last time. It’s janky but it’s one of my favorite games of all time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been playing the PS4 port of Valkyria Chronicles lately and came across this recruit:

It loving killed me for like ten minutes because I recognized him, it turns out both him and Aika from Skies of Arcadia are recruits in this game, and Fina is the medic.

I swear I got decently far in the game when it first came out and somehow never made these connections

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ItBreathes posted:

Detroit: Become Human manages it admirably. There are literally dozens of permutations for how the game can go.

Danaru posted:

I've been playing the PS4 port of Valkyria Chronicles lately and came across this recruit:

It loving killed me for like ten minutes because I recognized him, it turns out both him and Aika from Skies of Arcadia are recruits in this game, and Fina is the medic.

I swear I got decently far in the game when it first came out and somehow never made these connections

Vyse and Aika are well worth keeping full-time in your squad too. :allears:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Valkyria Chronicles chat? Valkyria Chronicles chat!

I love how the relationships between units actually does affect the gameplay. Basic rundown is that your dudes have people they like and people they don't like, and if they're next to people they like they're more likely to join in during an attack and being near people they don't like lowers their stats. So the guy racist against the not-jewish will get lower stats when near them or one guy can't be near another soldier because she reminds him of his daughter, but Vyse and Aika do bonus damage for obvious reasons.

It's a cool way to make them feel a bit more like people beyond unlocking their backstory as you use them more.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

in fallout 3 you can improve your health by drinking out of filthy toilets

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Don Gato posted:

Valkyria Chronicles chat? Valkyria Chronicles chat!

I love how the relationships between units actually does affect the gameplay. Basic rundown is that your dudes have people they like and people they don't like, and if they're next to people they like they're more likely to join in during an attack and being near people they don't like lowers their stats. So the guy racist against the not-jewish will get lower stats when near them or one guy can't be near another soldier because she reminds him of his daughter, but Vyse and Aika do bonus damage for obvious reasons.

It's a cool way to make them feel a bit more like people beyond unlocking their backstory as you use them more.

If i remember correctly, if you pair up the racist with their target of hatred long enough and they eventually stop being racist.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If i remember correctly, if you pair up the racist with their target of hatred long enough and they eventually stop being racist.

if that's true, that's actually a fuckin' neat little under-the-hood gameplay mechanic

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My favorite pairing, and admittedly an easy one, was to field the big burly story-essential Lancer with the camp gay Lancer who has a huge crush on him.