Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bring back 4e and I will permit this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Nerds larping on ESPN-3. Truly, everything has come full circle.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/WhatsYourGameEU/status/1019201845997244416

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Once again proving CEOs have not the faintest idea of their business.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WOTC already tried the cool esports avenue once: https://youtu.be/HztAWVUO1Zo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackbone posted:

Once again proving CEOs have not the faintest idea of their business.

They're also crossing over Magic and D&D directly.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are there any good games available as PnP? I've done ones for Root and the Unfair expansion, and am curious what other good ones are available.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

:eyepop:
They can't do that! That's like crossing the streams, two nerd worlds that are not meant to meet.

Though a Beholder would make for a cool mtg creature card....

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Though a Beholder would make for a cool mtg creature card....

I'm assuming this will come - a D&D themed MtG expansion is just too much money to leave on the table forever.

Randalor posted:

Are there any good games available as PnP? I've done ones for Root and the Unfair expansion, and am curious what other good ones are available.

There's a bunch of PnP Unlock mini-games that are fine, assuming you want a short/simple "escape room" type game, and don't mind using a phone app. I think we liked the Egypt-y one the best.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I printed off the free Unlock ones, we did 5th Avenue and liked it, but partway through the Dungeons of Dur-Anaon, we decided to abort the game. There's a puzzle that doesn't work as a PnP one (the arrows one) and we eventually gave up on it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

lmao at the thought of anyone who has ever worked on D&D designing a balanced game. Even 4th has issues.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pictured: a guy who doesn't know anything about D&D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cenotaph posted:

lmao at the thought of anyone who has ever worked on D&D designing a balanced game. Even 4th has issues.

There's no need for card balance, the DM will take care of it......

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

For anyone curious about jumping on this KS, Zhanguo still stands in my memory as The Worst Heavy Euro. A complicated, themeless mishmash of every mechanic they could think of, like some sort of Double Trajan.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainRightful posted:

For anyone curious about jumping on this KS, Zhanguo still stands in my memory as The Worst Heavy Euro. A complicated, themeless mishmash of every mechanic they could think of, like some sort of Double Trajan.

lol, a comment from one of my geekbuddies:
"An almost completely self-absorbed efficiency puzzle. This recent trend of unabashedly masturbatory games is really bumming me out. What can I say- I miss the elegance and dynamism of late 90s/early 00s Euros."

I wonder when someone will finally make a euro about masturbation.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

That at least makes sense - whatever you think about how bad Magic storylines are, they put a ton of effort into art and worldbuilding, seems natural to leverage those assets into a D&D setting.

But LMAO at "competitive esport D&D". And this is coming from a guy who actually watched both seasons of Harmonquest!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crackbone posted:

That at least makes sense - whatever you think about how bad Magic storylines are, they put a ton of effort into art and worldbuilding, seems natural to leverage those assets into a D&D setting.

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/board-games/news/dungeons-dragons-crosses-over-to-the-world-of-magic-the-gathering-in

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I have a really half-rear end Youtube channel about fighting games where I long ago gave up any hope of production values. I don't pub videos for like 3 years at a time then I'll publish actively in bursts every once in a while. I hit a good niche though so I have like 2k subs on there and my videos get okay view counts when I do publish.

Last year right before my kid was born I tried to do some boardgame review stuff since my half-rear end fighting game stuff was working out. I went back and watched it now (and deleted it) and basically my sound quality was just not good enough. That made everything else about the video irrelevant because it was so distracting. I had that blue snowball mic which never ended up working properly in any capacity and I really regret buying it. If that mic wasn't right on my mouth it didn't pick up well enough.

There are so many little barriers to entry to make good videos, but for me it came down to realizing that if I actually wanted to do it I'd have to really bust my rear end to have some kind of production value and good sound quality. That is the par for the course that has been established on Youtube now, and if you can't hit that minimum standard no one will want to waste their time watching your stuff. This means that even if you just want to basically stream of consciousness your opinions on a game (assuming you are good at it), you will need to have a perfect take and you can't have your mic popping or sound getting louder or quieter. If you script what you're going to say too hard, it will come off rushed and boring. If you script too loosely people will yell at you to use a script since you said "uh" a few times. The standard for "good Youtube video" has inflated a lot since so many people are hustling to do it as a full-time job now. You can no longer just talk into a webcam about stuff. Most people who would be good at just talking about stuff (which is ultimately what is lacking in BG video criticism, people who just play for fun talking and being critical/analytical) don't want to bother buying a bunch of poo poo and learning the skills needed to make their production quality hit the minimum threshold.

To add to all that, if you are NOT hustling to make a career out of this, have fun with all that extra poo poo in your room. The mic, the cords, whatever camera setup and tripod etc., maybe you had to move a table to a spot that makes no sense at all except for making videos. There are just a ton of inconveniences that come with good production quality which make it very much not worth it to anyone who isn't trying to get money off it.

I was originally planning on only doing one review every few months–reviewing only games that I bought, played 5+ times, and liked a lot. My ultimate issue with boardgame review channels is that they can't possibly play a game enough. They are churning reviews out and have to just keep playing the next big game as soon as they can to get their review out early and get the views by being one of the first videos up on it. There's no way they are playing the game enough.

The only game I even reviewed on my channel was Food Chain Magnate, and I had played it 20+ times before I made that review. A month or so after making the review, I played a 5-player game of it which completely changed my opinion (for the worse) on the game and made the meat of my review feel almost irrelevant.

My main takeaway is that the only thing I'd want to do is just view some channel like Rahdo who just plays through a game to try to get an idea if I personally would like it. I can see the game in action and make my own decision. Alternatively I can read forum posts from people who actually play a game a lot of times instead of bouncing from new poo poo to new poo poo, and see what they think about a game.

Channels like SUSD mostly are good at getting people excited about boardgaming in general. I know that once I was into it and knew I liked boardgames, I felt pretty exhausted by the idea of watching SUSD or especially No Pun Included. Anyone making channels with the nice production values are mostly doing it for the money or the review copies, and they have a bottom line which involves blasting through games as fast as possible.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ganz Schon Clever has an iOS and Android app now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

angel opportunity posted:

To add to all that, if you are NOT hustling to make a career out of this, have fun with all that extra poo poo in your room. The mic, the cords, whatever camera setup and tripod etc., maybe you had to move a table to a spot that makes no sense at all except for making videos. There are just a ton of inconveniences that come with good production quality which make it very much not worth it to anyone who isn't trying to get money off it.

I'm lucky in that I already have a few pelican cases of camera equipment because I'm a full time photographer by day so this is just an outlet for me when I'm not playing games and I have a lot of opinions.

Also a game doesn't have to be played 20+ times to form an opinion of it, and a lighter game it can be grasped and thoroughly explored in a lot less. I don't read or watch reviews of any media for a complete 100% stone chiseled finality take of something, but for an idea if I would like it or not (like you watching Rahdo). It's all about knowing the person you're listening to and their tastes and approach.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I get what you're saying and it was an extreme example, but I'd rather hear from someone who has played something like 5+ times over a longer period vs. someone who rushed 2-3 games in in two days so they could blast the review out and get working on their next review ASAP.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Big Trouble in Little China is incredibly bad, same sort of "did anyone actually playtest this garbage?" feeling that I got playing Massive Darkness. At least the person who bought it agreed it was terrible so no one had to pretend to be enjoying themselves.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pandemic's getting a collector's edition for its 10th anniversary, but even though I'd kind of like to own a copy of the base game at some point, I don't think I can justify spending anything close to this on it:

https://kotaku.com/pandemic-getting-a-very-fancy-re-release-for-its-10th-b-1827819034

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Unless the art style is meant to evoke the Spanish Flu it's an odd choice of aesthetic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only game I even reviewed on my channel was Food Chain Magnate, and I had played it 20+ times before I made that review. A month or so after making the review, I played a 5-player game of it which completely changed my opinion (for the worse) on the game and made the meat of my review feel almost irrelevant.

I had that game of FCM the other night and yeah, I think I'm done with 5 player FCM. I think I might even call it a 3-only game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

Pandemic's getting a collector's edition for its 10th anniversary, but even though I'd kind of like to own a copy of the base game at some point, I don't think I can justify spending anything close to this on it:

https://kotaku.com/pandemic-getting-a-very-fancy-re-release-for-its-10th-b-1827819034

If it includes all expansions this might be worth a look

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rutibex posted:

If it includes all expansions this might be worth a look

It does not.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I get what you're saying and it was an extreme example, but I'd rather hear from someone who has played something like 5+ times over a longer period vs. someone who rushed 2-3 games in in two days so they could blast the review out and get working on their next review ASAP.

That’s why I stopped paying attention to Shut Up and Sit Down. Too many reviews where I caught them giving a superficial take on a game they’d clearly only played once or twice. I really don’t have the patience for long form reviews anyway. I rarely look at anything other than BGG rating comments, where people are usually pretty upfront about how many times they’ve played a game, and I can skip right past the 10/10 “Never played it but I’m really excited about dropping $200 on Kickstarter!” reviews to get to the 4-6 range where I can get a sense of whether or not a game’s downsides might be a dealbreaker for me. I rarely ever get to play a game 20+ times, but I’ve played plenty of games that I’ve changed my mind about over time. And there are lots of games where my level of enjoyment is very dependent on the group I play them with. I have a regular group that engages in a lot of tabletalk and is great to play push-your-luck games with, and another group where those kind of games don't get the same level of engagement at all. And the same holds true for a lot of other genres. I don’t know how a reviewer is supposed to give a definitive evaluation of games when they're testing them all a couple of times each with the same consistent crowd of people.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 25, 2018

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
While we're talking about video reviewers, Martin Klein is my favourite nowadays. The problem is that his videos are in german. If you understand the language i recommend you check his videos out.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyUD2nRwP7Gc3pGbwp_JPmA

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So this is obviously way early but I’m bored. My wife and I are expecting a baby daughter in December. What age / what games have people had success with in the past? We are new parents and don’t have any nephews or nieces or friends with babies so our reference point is basically zero on this. Like can kids get a super basic game at 3? 5? Etc

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

teacup posted:

So this is obviously way early but I’m bored. My wife and I are expecting a baby daughter in December. What age / what games have people had success with in the past? We are new parents and don’t have any nephews or nieces or friends with babies so our reference point is basically zero on this. Like can kids get a super basic game at 3? 5? Etc

My kids' path was Uno at 5; Galaxy Truckers at 7; and Mage Knight at 9.

Get in.

(Although my girls never got into MK. I think they may have accidentally read a Jedit post)

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Beffer posted:

My kids' path was Uno at 5; Galaxy Truckers at 7; and Mage Knight at 9.

Get in.

(Although my girls never got into MK. I think they may have accidentally read a Jedit post)

I've seen parents walking down the path of forcing their gaming taste on their kids. It ends with puberty when they suddenly want to play nothing but monopoly because their father hates it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

teacup posted:

If you start Gloomhaven now your baby can make a character and join you half way through the campaign.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

teacup posted:

My oldest daughter is 3. Starting at 2.5 she's been playing some CareBears 'flick the spinner and move' game, and Animal Upon Animal, a meeple stacking dexterity game. Also the standard Cootie, Don't Spill the Beans, Don't Break the Ice is fine but gets boring for her within a few minutes.

So, around 3 years old is when they can handle 'do a thing, do what that thing says', with zero choices being made. Roll a die and go, spin the spinner and go, pick a piece and put it on the pile, etc.

Add in some choices, like in a game called Tiny Park where it's almost Yahtzee for tiles, and she just can't do it. I figure at 4 I'll try again with it. Though I have introduced Carcassonne and other tile laying games where you have to match sides, like Indigo, and she's liked it without worrying about scoring or rules. Just playing a stripped down matching game with them to build a board.

Though it is fun for her to just pick a game from the shelf, open it up, and play with the components a bit, and make some quick counting games out of them. Score tracks around a board make for great counting practice, and cubes/meeples/trains/etc are good for counting, colors, 'which group has more' style questions, that kind of thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just remember the rule: no XX until you're 18.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Jedit posted:

no XX until you're 18.

Aren't we long overdue for a new board game thread? Because that's a mighty fine candidate for a new tile.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We're only on page 1996. Bus and the following worker placement genre hasn't even come out yet!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

We're only on page 1996. Bus and the following worker placement genre hasn't even come out yet!

I thought we were thinking of rebooting at page 2000. I bring this up because Tekopo needs to suffer.

It has been over three and a half years though, and if the last three threads lasted the same amount of time then that's about right.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I know this has been brought up before, but is there any consensus of what books about board game design are considered good? Currently reading GameTek, which I'm pretty lukewarm on. It's too dry and focused on simply explaining how mechanics and trends work, and less about why they work (or don't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This is actually both the longest running and also the busiest board game thread ever in SA and honestly it needed to be restarted at 1k pages. I think I mocked up some Dungeon Petz graphics but honestly I’m not sure what I would actually put in the OP so someone should really do everything for me TIA