Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why does every home-grown ultra-cheap go for water landings?

They should at least try landing straight into the wind with no sideslip, which is what that guy failed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

"Rudder"? What is "rudder"?
I’m the rear end in a top hat landing crosswind on a loving sea.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

azflyboy posted:

I'm also curious where exactly Boom think they're going to get this magical engine that'll do a Mach 2.2 cruise without needing an afterburner.

From what I can find online, their prototype is using J85's, and their plan is to somehow talk P&W, GE, Rolls-Royce, or CFM into either agreeing to substantially alter an existing commercial engine design for them, or come up with a "clean sheet" design, all in time for a 2025 entry into service.

Given that engine manufacturers run into all kinds of unexpected issues just trying to increase the efficiency of high-bypass turbofan models that have been in service for years, I don't quite see how modifying an existing design (let alone starting from scratch) to work with the complex intake and exhaust system required for sustained supersonic flight has any prayer of being done by 2025, or for anything near what Boom can probably afford to pay.

Just handwaving away problems and (no pun intended) winging it seems SOP for these sorts of companies I expect is the answer

Telsa, despite its real successes (it may be the first car maker in north America to start up successfully since World War 2) does this as well. Car manufacturing is really drat hard - and the companies that do know how to do it are very very good at it. But Telsa didn't get them as subcontractors, basically out of arrogance, since it's wisdom in silicon valley that car manufacturers are old fashiored dinosaurs. (They frequently don't realize that many techniques that silicon valley thinks of as its manufacturing specialties were pioneered decades previous by automakers.) So the Telsa model 3 is a disaster - and if they had only teamed up with Toyota [or any other firm that sells cars in North America], they could be selling 3s out the wazoo.

I suppose greed played its part as well - god forbid a company not aim for total monopoly at all times

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

azflyboy posted:

Yep. Their CEO was at Farnborough, and is still claiming there's a market for 2,000 of the jets, although he didn't say what the timeline for selling that many airplanes was.

hobbesmaster posted:

They claim its for airline service though. 55 seats in a 1-1 configuration because the fuselage cross section appears to be about the size of a CRJ ERJ.
https://boomsupersonic.com/airliner

I'm sure there's a market for 110,000 supersonic business class seats in use at once, that seems feasible.

Total B737 + A320 sales are about 18,000 over the last 51 years. Assuming each of those is still flying and has twenty first-class seats, that's 360,000 subsonic business class seats in use at once. The actual number's a lot less, of course, since many of those planes have been retired and most have fewer than twenty first-class seats.

So it just has to be 1/3 as successful as the 737 and A320 have been for the last half-century. Easy-peasy.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

azflyboy posted:

From what I can find online, their prototype is using J85's, and their plan is to somehow talk P&W, GE, Rolls-Royce, or CFM into either agreeing to substantially alter an existing commercial engine design for them, or come up with a "clean sheet" design, all in time for a 2025 entry into service.

Ahahahahahaha god tech startups are stupid.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In terms of how far away they are from home, you can't get much farther than this.

Also good to see the Aussies are rollin' 3rd Street Saints style

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Previa_fun posted:

Ahahahahahaha god tech startups are stupid.

Yeah, the idea that "disruption" is inherently a good and productive way to innovate is one of the more toxic ideas of the modern age.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

azflyboy posted:

The closest thing to what they want is the triple bypass F135 in development for the B21. Good luck with that.

I went to a seminar on how to design helicopters held by Sikorsky, the first step was finding an engine to build the aircraft around, not the other way around. They're quoted as saying the latter was "cost prohibitive and foolish". They only recommend designing a new engine when military contracts request it and allow adequate funding.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Judging from the lack of new and exciting innovation in the aircraft engine industry, particularly turbine engines, I can only conclude that the problem is a lack of disruption. Why doesn't one of these Silicon Valley super geniuses focus their immense talent and unrivalled intellect on that problem? :v:

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Hey Washington aviation goons, what do I need to know about SeaFair? I grew up in the middle of the US and have only ever seen the Thunderbirds, I'm super excited to see some Blue Angels and would appreciate tips/advice for that weekend.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the idea that "disruption" is inherently a good and productive way to innovate is one of the more toxic ideas of the modern age.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Gotta fly my expensive art supersonic so that subsonic art thief airplanes can’t hitch up to my transport plane mid-flight?
yeah if I were buying multi-million art pieces the last place i'd want them is a recently-developed aircraft with unproven engines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

The closest thing to what they want is the triple bypass F135 in development for the B21. Good luck with that.

I went to a seminar on how to design helicopters held by Sikorsky, the first step was finding an engine to build the aircraft around, not the other way around. They're quoted as saying the latter was "cost prohibitive and foolish". They only recommend designing a new engine when military contracts request it and allow adequate funding.

A non afterburning variant of the F-135 is vaguely plausible, no? Or maybe a F119?

The only other options would be Chinese or Russian which is :laugh:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's not if it's plausable more than they still cover up the F135s in the shop when they get visitors. That tech is a long way from going public.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm sure there's a market for 110,000 supersonic business class seats in use at once, that seems feasible.

Total B737 + A320 sales are about 18,000 over the last 51 years. Assuming each of those is still flying and has twenty first-class seats, that's 360,000 subsonic business class seats in use at once. The actual number's a lot less, of course, since many of those planes have been retired and most have fewer than twenty first-class seats.

So it just has to be 1/3 as successful as the 737 and A320 have been for the last half-century. Easy-peasy.

I also think they are out of their mind but the market here is long haul and you haven't included any of those seats. They're certainly counting on stealing share from the bizjet market too. Should probably do it in ASMs or ASKs rather than seats alone anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

It's not if it's plausable more than they still cover up the F135s in the shop when they get visitors. That tech is a long way from going public.

Turkey has them so Russia/China probably has everything they could want. I'm surprised theres much to keep secret.

edit: F101 maybe? Thats "just" a low bypass version of an engine thats on like half the medium haul airliners on the planet.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 24, 2018

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Ola posted:

Crabbing in a boat is usually a nice day out on the water.

This is an underappreciated comment.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I found something weird

It is a translated copy of Eugen Sanger and Irene Bredt's silbervogel proposal, its last revision in late 1944. As it goes into detail and has many charts, those of you with big science brains will get a laugh out of it.

The thing I want to flag up is this chart. Just reading about the Ba 349, apparently it launched with such force that the pilot was guaranteed to pass out until reaching 45,000 ft. I found this chart:

I've little idea about g-forces on the human body. Is this...plausible?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nebakenezzer posted:

That chart may be slightly optimistic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

I didn't scroll through all 175 pages, but is the dotted line claiming "this is survivable"? If so, sure why not? Sub 8G for a minute sounds like a normal exercise afternoon for a world class dogfighter. And you probably know someone who has taken 50G eyeballs out in a car crash, why not 16G eyeballs in for a minute? The "blood out of brains" thing (from head to toes) everyone knows doesn't apply when it's eyeballs in (from head to, eeh, in front of head), obviously. Alan Shephard did 12G on his Mercury mission. People read numbers on the internet and think anything beyond 9G is instant death. It isn't so, you can survive tons more.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NightGyr posted:

Thank you very much, I did feel that one was a nice comic swing even though most people didn't go sideways about it.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I found something weird

It is a translated copy of Eugen Sanger and Irene Bredt's silbervogel proposal, its last revision in late 1944. As it goes into detail and has many charts, those of you with big science brains will get a laugh out of it.

The thing I want to flag up is this chart. Just reading about the Ba 349, apparently it launched with such force that the pilot was guaranteed to pass out until reaching 45,000 ft. I found this chart:

The chart seems about right to me.

The passing out on launch seems unlikely. Skipping over the fact that it would be loving retarded, it also doesn't match the numbers I can find on the Ba 349. Wikipedia lists a liquid engine with 14.1kN of thrust, and either 2 or 4 solid engines with a total of 19.6kN of thrust. At a gross weight of 2322kg, that gives a takeoff acceleration of 15.1m/s^2, or about 1.5G. That's not exactly a slow, but is miles away from g-loc.

Meanwhile, the pdf is talking about a 100 tons-force (889kN) liquid engine, so I'm pretty sure it's talking about a completely different project.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

NightGyr posted:

Not gonna lie I didn’t get it until the second time around

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

To echo the sentiments, yeah it's definitely plausible...and very likely backed up by some pretty ghoulish "science" by the Nazis. :(

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Kebbins posted:

Hey Washington aviation goons, what do I need to know about SeaFair? I grew up in the middle of the US and have only ever seen the Thunderbirds, I'm super excited to see some Blue Angels and would appreciate tips/advice for that weekend.

The main (ticketed) hub of the show is Genessee Park, which will have your usual fairgrounds attractions, a beer garden, and the pits for the hydroplane races, which are open to the public for an additional ticket charge. There are plenty of other places to go watch without paying, though--anywhere with a clear, unobstructed view of the channel between Mercer Island and Seattle will work. The Blues use the I-90 bridge as their line-up landmark, and the bridge will close while they fly to stop distracted drivers running off the side. Getting out on a boat is the ideal way to see the show if you have access to one.

The typical Blues schedule is to arrive Monday or Tuesday @ KBFI, do practice flights mid-day Thursday, then the air show is mid-day Friday and Saturday. If you want to watch them walk-down and take off, head to the Museum of Flight, which will also be hosting an event with some neato static displays (Catalina! Growler! Flying eye hospital DC-10! Possibly a Skyraider!) but be aware that the visibility of the show itself from there is... limited, particularly if it's their low show. They'll usually do at least one sneak-pass on the parking lot, though. That week is also the first week of the month, too, meaning that on Thursday the Museum will stay open until 9 and offer free admission from 5 to 9.

The Blue Angels show their demo reel and do some Q&A for Museum students on Friday morning that has had some first-come-first-serve public availability in the past, usually starts at 9:00 I think. I'd call and check first.

Outside of flight stuff Seafair has some other pretty fun stuff to do, with the torchlight parade through downtown probably being the best part. Dragon dancers, horseback mariachi bands, the UW marching band, fun stuff. My favorite is always the King County Metro 'float,' an articulated city bus loaded with dancers fake-lowriding using the accessible kneeling-bus hydraulics.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Nebakenezzer posted:

That is a really unsettling chart to exist before John Stapp.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CBJamo posted:

The chart seems about right to me.

The passing out on launch seems unlikely. Skipping over the fact that it would be loving retarded, it also doesn't match the numbers I can find on the Ba 349. Wikipedia lists a liquid engine with 14.1kN of thrust, and either 2 or 4 solid engines with a total of 19.6kN of thrust. At a gross weight of 2322kg, that gives a takeoff acceleration of 15.1m/s^2, or about 1.5G. That's not exactly a slow, but is miles away from g-loc.

Meanwhile, the pdf is talking about a 100 tons-force (889kN) liquid engine, so I'm pretty sure it's talking about a completely different project.

Different project. I will say that the Wiki on this topic isn't super reliable, but on the other re the Ba 349 I got that from a throwaway comment somewhere, so you may be right

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

That is a really unsettling chart to exist before John Stapp.
Thanks for saving me the effort of looking up who that guy was :)

John Stapp was insane if you didn’t know:

quote:

By riding the decelerator sled himself, in his 29th and last ride at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, Stapp demonstrated that a human can withstand at least 46.2 g (in the forward position, with adequate harnessing). This is the highest known acceleration voluntarily encountered by a human, set on December 10, 1954. Stapp reached a speed of 632 mph (1,017 km/h), which broke the land speed record and made him the fastest man on earth. Stapp believed that the tolerance of humans to acceleration had not yet been reached in tests. He believed it is much greater than thought possible.
I’ve heard after one of these tests he was blind for a few days because of all the burst vessels in his eyes :cry:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Kebbins posted:

They're a bunch of jerks, that's all you need to know about them. :colbert:

I used to be stationed on MCAS Cherry Point, and those bastards buzzed the barracks at 0800 on a Sunday. I'll never forgive them. :argh:

This post is about 80% a joke. I tend to avoid SeaFair, because I'm kind of over seeing military planes at this point. Full props (:v:) to them for their displays of skill though.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Different project. I will say that the Wiki on this topic isn't super reliable, but on the other re the Ba 349 I got that from a throwaway comment somewhere, so you may be right

The number's on the Ba 349 wiki page seem reasonable given what I know about rocket tech at the time.

Another way to look at it is to think about what kind of engine you'd need to make that happen. Let's say you need 15G to knock out a pilot on launch. The BA 349 would need to have ~300kN of thrust at the same gross weight to do that. Another craft with ~300kN of thrust is the mercury-redstone, which, if you wanted it to, could easilly make it across the atlantic. If the nazi's had a 300+kN worth of engine in 1944, they would have been using it to launch V-somethings at the US.

That PDF is great, by the way. It's too bad the scan ruined some of the pictures. Thanks for linking it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Having seen the Blues and the 'Birds a number of times each their shows are fairly similar but different enough to make it worth seeing both.

IMO the Thunderbirds fly a lot more gracefully and and Blues seem to fly more aggressively and really muscle their Hornets around. I think the Blues tend to fly a little slower, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
F-16s are a lot faster than F/A-18s and accelerate better too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The Blues' jets are tired as gently caress, too. They're drat near the last Navy (non-USMC) unit operating any legacy Hornets, and I'm pretty sure they're the only ones still flying A/B models. The Thunderbirds are in 50/52 Vipers, the latest variant the US bought.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ahem, the Tutors the RCAF Snowbirds fly rolled off the line no earlier than.. 52 years ago?!

Oh there is a replacement procurement effort underway :negative:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Kebbins posted:

There are various parks along the fly route you can go to, too, to see most of the show. I've not gone anywhere near the lake or bridges that are center to it, though, due to it being from my worst nightmare dealing with the crowds. So, I'm not much help but wanted to point out that there are spots at Boeing Field, usually in the Flight Museum parking lot where people get together to watch them come and go before practice and the shows. No idea what times, though.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Godholio posted:

The Blues' jets are tired as gently caress, too. They're drat near the last Navy (non-USMC) unit operating any legacy Hornets, and I'm pretty sure they're the only ones still flying A/B models. The Thunderbirds are in 50/52 Vipers, the latest variant the US bought.

Two tours ago now the no. 2 jet was clapped-out enough they left it behind in Seattle as a donation to the museum. :v:

took the engines though, they still had a few hundred hours left on them...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Always when talking of old Hornets, it is obligatory to post Finnish Air Force F-18 that crashed not once, but twice. First collision was basically a writeoff, but it was decided to pursue a complete rebuild. Single seater F-18C was made into a F-18D. However, after somewhat historic and expensive rebuild, during dogfight chase practice, it lawndarted. Second crash was enough to retire it.

quote:

December 3: Finnish Air Force F-18D HN-468 took off for the first time since its rebuild using a fuselage from an ex-Canadian Armed Forces Hornet.

HN-468 began life as single-seat F-18C HN-413, but was involved in a collision with HN-430 while on a night flying exercise to the south-east of Lappajärvi on November 8, 2001. HN-430 crashed, its pilot ejecting, while HN-413 limped back to Pirkkala air base, badly damaged. Both pilots were unharmed.

Inspection of the damaged airframe confirmed that the front fuselage was a write-off, but the Finnish Air Force was keen to retain airframe numbers and a replacement fuselage was sought. As the Air Force was short of twin-seaters, it was decided to investigate the possibility of grafting a twin-seat fuselage to the remains of the original aircraft. A ‘B’ model front fuselage was purchased from Canada, the donor fuselage being CF-188 188920, and the rebuild successfully completed in September after 100,000 man hours.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-second-accident-spells-end-for-finlands-337518/

http://www.key.aero/view_article.asp?ID=1197&thisSection=military

quote:

The loss was the second mishap to have involved aircraft HN-468 inside a decade. The two-seat trainer had been badly damaged in a mid-air collision with a Finnish F-18C in November 2001, and had been returned to flight only last month after a major rebuild programme performed by Patria.

Nicknamed the "Frankenhornet", it had returned to flight status on 3 December 2009, following the completion of a roughly 100,000h programme to bring it back to operational use.

Patria repaired the aircraft using structures sourced from a damaged F-18C, with major activities having included fitting a new starboard wing, engine intake and control surfaces, and making repairs to the aircraft's centre fuselage longeron.

It took four years to build, and only one month to ruin.

Second crash:

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 25, 2018

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

priznat posted:

Ahem, the Tutors the RCAF Snowbirds fly rolled off the line no earlier than.. 52 years ago?!

Oh there is a replacement procurement effort underway :negative:

12 years, 3 changes of administration and 4 billion dollars later.

"Ok we're going with refurbished Sopwith Camels. NO I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT HAPPENED!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Deptfordx posted:

12 years, 3 changes of administration and 4 billion dollars later.

"Ok we're going with refurbished Sopwith Camels. NO I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT HAPPENED!"

“Got a great price for them unfortunately they come without engines or propellers and they are currently on fire”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

Second crash:

Sir, that's a helicopter