Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Lactose Is Wack posted:

He is advocating replacing a publicly good with a private one, how are these even remotely the same? He isn't advocating Amazon replace libraries with free amazon bookstores.

that dude knew a tiny fact and felt super smart about it, plz don't deflate him with your logic and context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

lmfao

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Is this a smart home thing?

Why would you invite a cash obsessed amoral HAL into your home?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

People are really lazy and really, really loving stupid

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
amazon should replace my electricity to save taxpayers money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

You can turn your lights off...

from around the globe!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/planning-transport/britain-needs-more-slums

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

The latest example of this is a survey suggesting that all 43 of the affordable houses in London aren't actually houses, but rather boats.

You should probably check and make sure your house is not actually a boat before reporting it as a house

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yes I know he means houseboats shut up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

These regulations don't just affect the type of squalid accommodation that they were designed to outlaw. A recent project to build 'micro-flats' worth up to £231,000 required the intervention of the London Mayor to exempt it from certain regulations. Developments like these might be the future for young people like me struggling to get onto the housing market, but this kind of ad-hoc policymaking is no way to run a country. Wholesale change is needed.

I smugly look down on houseboats but eagerly want to pay enormous amounts of money for a tiny box branded as trendy, I am a smart and clever boy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ate all the Oreos posted:

You can turn your lights off...

from around the globe!

Big deal, my electric company can do that without a fancy gadget.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Outrail posted:

"I learned a little song, Dave. Would you like to hear it? You may skip ad in 5,4,3..."

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Outrail posted:

Big deal, my electric company can do that without a fancy gadget.

Haha, reminds me of when the Social Democrats sold off control of our national energy grid to Goldman Sachs so they could extract profits through notorious tax shelter Luxembourg, and their immediate reaction to being warned about raising energy prices was almost literally, "Nice infrastructure you've got there. Would be a shame if anything like frequent outages happened to it." The company used to be called DONG and the Minister responsible for the sale immediately quit politics to work for McKinsey, the very same company that had advised the government on the deal.

i wonder what necklacing smells like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell it

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

SplitSoul posted:

Haha, reminds me of when the Social Democrats sold off control of our national energy grid to Goldman Sachs so they could extract profits through notorious tax shelter Luxembourg, and their immediate reaction to being warned about raising energy prices was almost literally, "Nice infrastructure you've got there. Would be a shame if anything like frequent outages happened to it." The company used to be called DONG and the Minister responsible for the sale immediately quit politics to work for McKinsey, the very same company that had advised the government on the deal.

i wonder what necklacing smells like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell it

I live in a place where everyone shrugged their shoulders when the government sold the utilities off, and prices have risen 600-800% in about 15 years. But now everyone is making GBS threads their pants because the new government put a 5% tax on it.

A pic went viral a little while ago of a dude getting charged an UNACCEPTABLE $4 of tax on his utility bill, but then totally glosses over the $80 "delivery" fee.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Outrail posted:

Gotta be part of the future! The future where your wifi-enabled door handle stops working because of a botched over-the-air update

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I live in a place where everyone shrugged their shoulders when the government sold the utilities off, and prices have risen 600-800% in about 15 years. But now everyone is making GBS threads their pants because the new government put a 5% tax on it.

A pic went viral a little while ago of a dude getting charged an UNACCEPTABLE $4 of tax on his utility bill, but then totally glosses over the $80 "delivery" fee.

The gently caress.

Has anyone asked them to justify the delivery? Does a man in a funny hat personally deliver baskets of electrons like an old timey milkman?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Spatial posted:

Gotta be part of the future! The future where your wifi-enabled door handle stops working because of a botched over-the-air update

Purchase the 'midnight til dawn' dlc for after hours access to your own property.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

I can't find it now but someone wrote a great article about how a bank (JP Morgan I think?) bought some nasty old coal power plants so they could exploit how the rules governing the grid worked. Like one of the things they did was figure out that the algorithm that determined who to buy power from wouldn't check prices correctly if the block of time crossed midnight so they'd bid -$1 per megawatt or something like that to guarantee they won the bid for 11 PM and then lock in the next three hours (because it's allocated in blocks like that, since generators need time to spool up and down), and charge $999 for the other two hours.

So not only were they exploiting the system, they were doing it with ancient, dirty coal plants :thumbsup:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://twitter.com/DWAnimation/status/867892471572815872

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I can't find it now but someone wrote a great article about how a bank (JP Morgan I think?) bought some nasty old coal power plants so they could exploit how the rules governing the grid worked. Like one of the things they did was figure out that the algorithm that determined who to buy power from wouldn't check prices correctly if the block of time crossed midnight so they'd bid -$1 per megawatt or something like that to guarantee they won the bid for 11 PM and then lock in the next three hours (because it's allocated in blocks like that, since generators need time to spool up and down), and charge $999 for the other two hours.

So not only were they exploiting the system, they were doing it with ancient, dirty coal plants :thumbsup:

See in a just world the person(s) responsible for this would be drug into the street and shot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mizuti posted:

Seen outside an Apple store after Steve Jobs died:

I'm pretty sure this is from the public funeral for the woman who was run over by the nazi. I remember it being used in this articles.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Play posted:

I'm pretty sure this is from the public funeral for the woman who was run over by the nazi. I remember it being used in this articles.

Narrator: It was not.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Play posted:

He’s crying about how dumb you are

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Found it:

https://dealbreaker.com/2013/07/electricity-market-rules-were-not-a-worthy-opponent-for-jpmorgans-brainpower/

quote:

FERC built a terrible box, and the box had some buttons that were labeled “push here for money,” and JPMorgan pushed them and got money. You can understand the category mistake very easily:

* FERC thought the box was for generating electricity at market prices but with a robust backup system to ensure reliable supply, and
* JPMorgan thought the box was for dispensing money.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Outrail posted:

The gently caress.

Has anyone asked them to justify the delivery? Does a man in a funny hat personally deliver baskets of electrons like an old timey milkman?

Hahahahaha gently caress no. Its business, they do what they want. You can use zero natural gas in a month (like, you can literally shut off the input valve to your house so no natural gas is capable of reaching you), and you can still get hit with a $40 delivery fee.

But the guys who deregulated our utilities gave everyone a $300 check, so thats more than enough to buy a lifetime of loyalty.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

In my attempt to find the one that went viral earlier this month, I found a great example.

$14.39 in electricity.

$36.42 in delivery.

But no, deregulating our utilities will save the consumer money! Competition is good for everyone!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

In my attempt to find the one that went viral earlier this month, I found a great example.

$14.39 in electricity.

$36.42 in delivery.

But no, deregulating our utilities will save the consumer money! Competition is good for everyone!

still better than Direct Energy

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

TOS by Sylvia Plath

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember when Enron caused rolling black outs in California because they were exploiting government loopholes?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2005/feb/05/enron.usnews

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

$14.39 in electricity.

$36.42 in delivery.

IIRC the grid itself does tend to be the most expensive component of the system but I'm pretty sure it's not over twice as loving much

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Colin Ward made the argument that slums are great in places that are hosed over in housing, but that ultimately they aren't ideal, and people should have SAFE housing.

These guys just ignore that part entirely to dunk on housing standards in the developed world. Amazing.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

IIRC the grid itself does tend to be the most expensive component of the system but I'm pretty sure it's not over twice as loving much

Oh for sure it's expensive to run an electrical grid. It's just funny that these fees only started to exist when the utilities were deregulated but most people don't seem to care.

We also have some of the most expensive cell phone coverage in the first world, despite most of the infrastructure being originally built using taxpayer money.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

$14.39 in electricity.

$36.42 in delivery.

The total works out to 10 cents a kilowatt/hr. which is a fairly unremarkable, if not cheap, price for electricity :confused:

The listed 2 cents per kilowatt/hr. is pretty much unheard of, so is the criticism that the bill's presented deceptively?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Split Pea Superman posted:

I just love licking the taint of deregulated utilities.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Split Pea Superman posted:

The total works out to 10 cents a kilowatt/hr. which is a fairly unremarkable, if not cheap, price for electricity :confused:

The listed 2 cents per kilowatt/hr. is pretty much unheard of, so is the criticism that the bill's presented deceptively?

$36.42 in delivery.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

We also have some of the most expensive cell phone coverage in the first world, despite most of the infrastructure being originally built using taxpayer money.

If weren't already aware, you should check out :canada: cellphone rates.

Canadian Cellular networks: Built by Crown Corporations, Privatized, now with the most expensive cell phone plans in the Western World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
They used 577 kilowatt hours. No one sells electricity at the 2 cents a kilowatt hour they've been charged in the line item, but the total bill works out to 10-11 cents a kilowatt hour, which is a fairly standard price.