Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would people be upset over that? Streamers wouldn’t be able to make comp videos as easily?

Part complained it’d remove random fun factor from finding clueless players or meeting tryhard streamers, other part complained about matchmaking times. I think that was the gist of arguments, and they both have some merit imo. Epic is probably also worried about ensuing community toxicity/tryharding stigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Every single game that has pushed competitive multiplayer in a restrictive way instantly kills the fun factor massively. No more doing burnouts in cars, assaulting full teams with jump pads, picking up "non-meta" weapons etc. because your teams rank could drop. Even at mid level ranks the last 20 would be 1 by 1 campouts with everyone not wanting to make the first move. You know how no one gives a gently caress at all about winning in 50 v 50? That would be normal squads after matchmaking ranked squads dropped.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy the variety in skill levels from game to game. Sometimes you're gunning down newbies, sometimes you get into a desperate battle with pro players and feel bad-rear end when you manage to take down or escape from myth or whoever. Fortnite is much more of a loving around with friends game than it is a serious competition, and skill-based matchmaking would take away from that. If I wanted to obsess over my K/D ratio, I wouldn't be playing the cartoony shooter with dances, golf cart races, and soccer.

If you're getting headshot consistently by bolt-action snipers or hunting rifles, which are the only weapons that can one-hit down/kill at full health and shields, you're leaving yourself open. Don't stand still. A lot of players will stand in place while mining or hunkering down in their little fort, but that just makes you an easy target for anyone with a long-ranged weapon and height advantage. That won't prevent you from still getting sniped every once in a while, but even just wiggling back and forth while in your fort makes it a lot harder to land a headshot on you. The only time you shouldn't be moving is when you're lining up a shot of your own with a sniper or AR.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Even when running you should be zig zagging and jumping. Always assume that someone is pointing a sniper rifle at you.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would people be upset over that? Streamers wouldn’t be able to make comp videos as easily?

As you can see, a lot of people wouldn't like it. Basically it's ~fun~ (no clue why people think having no fun at high level play is even a thing) vs having an actual challenge. Queue times are irrelevant. Seeing as there's more casuals than competitive players out there, and Epic doesn't really want to gently caress with a system that's pumping out 10 million dollars a day, you're stuck with this.

I'm wondering when big streamers will finally start getting pissed off at the fact that about 1 in 20 games forms a genuine challenge for them. I think making a shitload of money is literally the only reason they're even playing this game anymore. It sucks so hard losing a ton of your favorite streamers to a game they play for 10 months straight, it's so goddamn boring to watch at this point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Well, they played solo squads for challenge but current meta has all but killed feasibility of solo squads in stream sniping environment. The actual gameplay “fun” problem with competitive is not challenge, it’s what you saw on the first Fortnite Summer event. When there were actual odds to fight for, everyone conservatively turtled so hard that their servers poo poo the bed. If they can get a competitive mode that rewards high kills and wins, it will be like normal gameplay but more intense, but the problem there is that they would need to increase the complexity of “you did good” measure, which they stated they are reluctant to afford with player base of dozens of millions of playing and paying 12 year olds.

Basically there is catch 22 with competitive mode right now, they can’t keep it simple without degrading the experience or making an opaque system like in PUBG that both is not something wanted, nor meaningfully impactful.

I’d be all for competitive mode, but in my opinion this is reasonably not the time for it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Well, they played solo squads for challenge but current meta has all but killed feasibility of solo squads in stream sniping environment. The actual gameplay “fun” problem with competitive is not challenge, it’s what you saw on the first Fortnite Summer event. When there were actual odds to fight for, everyone conservatively turtled so hard that their servers poo poo the bed. If they can get a competitive mode that rewards high kills and wins, it will be like normal gameplay but more intense, but the problem there is that they would need to increase the complexity of “you did good” measure, which they stated they are reluctant to afford with player base of dozens of millions of playing and paying 12 year olds.

Basically there is catch 22 with competitive mode right now, they can’t keep it simple without degrading the experience or making an opaque system like in PUBG that both is not something wanted, nor meaningfully impactful.

I’d be all for competitive mode, but in my opinion this is reasonably not the time for it.

That is something I can definitely agree with. I think it "works" in PUBG because it's a more ~serious~ game to begin with, so people tend to tryhard regardless of a rating system.

I believe Epic said they're using their tournament format to iron out issues for future tournaments, but I'm assuming they're also using it to see how they could implement a matchmaking system. I'm really hoping they can pull it off.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Added a bunch of cosmetics for those of you that bought Save the World. You can get these right now for about $20 since it's still on sale.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah also worth noting I bought StW like 2 days ago and already have earned like 900 vbucks from it, so in terms of fortnite money it seems to pay for itself pretty quickly (no you can't buy it with vbucks though)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Agoat posted:

Added a bunch of cosmetics for those of you that bought Save the World. You can get these right now for about $20 since it's still on sale.

People with StW should be checking the loot tab each day as well. Had a smorgasbord llama waiting which gave me 1500 event tickets and a handful of legendaries.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Not quite sure I get the "loop" in STW though. I have a bunch of schematics and i'm missing the mats to craft anything cool, is there a way to just spawn in the world and run around farming stuff or is my only option doing missions? when i do those it automatically drops me in a party with randos and then I feel kind of rude if i ignore the objective and just go harvest stuff. Is that just part of the game or what lol?

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Seditiar posted:

As you can see, a lot of people wouldn't like it. Basically it's ~fun~ (no clue why people think having no fun at high level play is even a thing) vs having an actual challenge. Queue times are irrelevant. Seeing as there's more casuals than competitive players out there, and Epic doesn't really want to gently caress with a system that's pumping out 10 million dollars a day, you're stuck with this.

Aren't you the dude that spent literally thousands of dollars on llamas for StW? You don't really have a leg to stand on when complaining about whales or epic responding to money instead of player feedback.

It's not that competitive play is never fun, but Fortnite BR is explicitly designed as a casual loving around game. This is why they added things like minigames and emotes, instead of completely overhauling the game's systems to make it a competitive tourney shooter. To me, it's weird that so many people expect the game to be totally redesigned around ~serious business~. It's alright to be a filthy casual sometimes. Fortnite is not the sole game or even BR game in existence; it's always possible to play something else for fun competitive play, and it'll be even more fun because they're actually designed for it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I do wonder if nerfing the most difficult part of the game (building) is going to affect the game's overall staying power. Casual games are great but if they can't transition into something that people compete in and care about eventually they lose their player base to the next thing.

I have to imagine they're trying to figure out a way to nerf turtling and that aggressive building is just getting caught in the crossfire, but it's unfortunate because aggressive building is interesting to watch and really fun if you can pull it off. Turtling sucks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m glad Fortnite isn’t a competitive tryhard shooter, and I’m glad it doesn’t have matchmaking.

With 100 people in every match, it’s almost guaranteed that there are people in there that you can absolutely dunk on, people evenly matched to you and people who will absolutely dunk on you.

To me that’s perfect

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

We just had a new update AND Fortnite's 1 year birthday and we're still taking about matchmaking? :psyduck:

I can't wait to get my hands on the new epic/legendary SMGs though, those things look fierce as ffffffffffuck :getin:

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

goferchan posted:

Not quite sure I get the "loop" in STW though. I have a bunch of schematics and i'm missing the mats to craft anything cool, is there a way to just spawn in the world and run around farming stuff or is my only option doing missions? when i do those it automatically drops me in a party with randos and then I feel kind of rude if i ignore the objective and just go harvest stuff. Is that just part of the game or what lol?

Easiest thing to do is just set your missions to 'private' and pop into a mission that doesn't start unless you do anything and just farm materials. You'll keep any materials you've gathered if you exit the mission. You won't keep any quest progress and the survivors you save won't count towards anything, but you can scrounge up your parts for sure.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gotta get that birthday backpack!!!

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I got one in a supply drop in 50v50 and it was absurd and I loved every second of it. I actually like reading the Reddit threads on stuff usually because it's a good place for news, but holy poo poo they are melting down over these changes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Enjoy the new ridiculous SMG while it lasts, it's not making it through the next weapon balance pass as is.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

they need to buff golfing and beach balls, imo

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

goferchan posted:

You can always start a private game and farm in it if you're really low on materials, check the menu in the upper right for the setting to switch from public to friends-only or private. Most of the games with pubs there's time to farm some before getting the objective started, depending on the map type. The only time I really run low on materials is if I've been prepping my storm shield for the next storm shield defense. Industrial, city, and suburbs maps will have the most nuts and bolts and gears and metal for crafting, although there's a selection of stuff available in every map type.

The fastest maps for getting some dailies done are build the radar grid, rescue the survivors, and destroy the encampments. Except for the latter you can usually move around the map farming as you go in those. Other maps with building and base defense pubbies will usually screw around farming for 10 minutes or so then build a base. Sometimes someone will get impatient and start stuff early but there's not much to be done about that other than try to complete it successfully.

You should also learn what the mining cave areas look like and stop by them as you travel through the map. In Stonewood they'll have Copper veins, as well as coal, crytals, rough ore, etc. As you get to the higher zones they have the crafting materials for the next level up of weapons. Don't evolve your weapon schematics to the next tier until you're able to get the materials to craft them since it can suck to have a favorite weapon/best weapon get locked out for a few levels because you raised its level too much.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Preem Palver posted:

Aren't you the dude that spent literally thousands of dollars on llamas for StW? You don't really have a leg to stand on when complaining about whales or epic responding to money instead of player feedback.

It's not that competitive play is never fun, but Fortnite BR is explicitly designed as a casual loving around game. This is why they added things like minigames and emotes, instead of completely overhauling the game's systems to make it a competitive tourney shooter. To me, it's weird that so many people expect the game to be totally redesigned around ~serious business~. It's alright to be a filthy casual sometimes. Fortnite is not the sole game or even BR game in existence; it's always possible to play something else for fun competitive play, and it'll be even more fun because they're actually designed for it.

Not thousands but a lot, yes. And that's for the PvE side (most of it before BR even existed), what's your point? I wasn't even complaining about whales nor about them favoring a more casual game due to money reasons. I don't blame them.

Edit:

To actually reply to your point, I sort of agree, but they're already nerfing/removing a lot of fun stuff that people liked. They're obviously willing to make game changes to get it competitive ready, whether that succeeds or not is another thing. But things like bloom just irk me really, you'd think they want weapons to not be recoil based because people would get lasered from a hundred meters away. Yet they make building changes that make weapons way stronger in comparison, basically resulting in the same thing except added RNG.

In the end though, if they give the proper tools for it, they could just go with the community matchmaking route. Like ESEA in CS:GO. Only people who'd actively look for proper matchmaking would play it and people who aren't don't have to feel forced to do it anyway.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 25, 2018

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

prom candy posted:

I have to imagine they're trying to figure out a way to nerf turtling and that aggressive building is just getting caught in the crossfire, but it's unfortunate because aggressive building is interesting to watch and really fun if you can pull it off. Turtling sucks.

My thought:
Either make the revolver/handcannon penetrate wooden walls or make a new gun for that purpose. Really wouldn’t stop aggressive building because a slow reload gun won’t help too much there.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Is there a way to effectively farm the lower level rough ore? I need so much for several of my traps and even one of my guns requires a bit to craft but I never have very much. I have hundreds of each of the higher level ores, up to the green one. But the one that looks like a jar of honey eludes me.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Nullsmack posted:

Is there a way to effectively farm the lower level rough ore? I need so much for several of my traps and even one of my guns requires a bit to craft but I never have very much. I have hundreds of each of the higher level ores, up to the green one. But the one that looks like a jar of honey eludes me.

I think you meant the powder, and not really other than bashing more rocks. Most people are short on Powders, especially in higher level areas. What traps are you mainly using? Often the best solution to a shortage of something, especially traps, is to start using another trap for a while.

Or, if you're in Plankerton and still have traps that require Stonewood materials, it's best to get your traps to Plankerton level. Personally I upgraded traps once I ran out of the materials from the previous zone.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nullsmack posted:

Most of the rocks in Stonewood will have it. If you're in Plankerton or Canny you'll need to go back to Stonewood to farm it up. Alternatively level up your traps and they'll begin to use the next level of material after they evolve.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Popero posted:

I got one in a supply drop in 50v50 and it was absurd and I loved every second of it. I actually like reading the Reddit threads on stuff usually because it's a good place for news, but holy poo poo they are melting down over these changes.

The P90 is working as intended, then.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m glad Fortnite isn’t a competitive tryhard shooter, and I’m glad it doesn’t have matchmaking.

With 100 people in every match, it’s almost guaranteed that there are people in there that you can absolutely dunk on, people evenly matched to you and people who will absolutely dunk on you.

To me that’s perfect

It would still be possible to do wide tranches and maintain that, though.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

It would still be possible to do wide tranches and maintain that, though.

ya it's called "queue only with like systems" ie mobile lobbies vs pc lobbies :mrgw:

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014

Popero posted:

I made the mistake of looking at the new patch thread on Reddit and the amount of loving crying and bitching is so beyond embarrassing. You would think the patch promised to kill all their pets and families with how big of a poo poo they're throwing. Its a game and its for fun, relax. Not too mention Epic has been changing and experimenting with different poo poo for the entire games existence, so this particular set of "balances" probably won't hang around long.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
BUT MY META

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Squiggles Unite posted:

I made the mistake of looking at the new patch thread on Reddit and the amount of loving crying and bitching is so beyond embarrassing. You would think the patch promised to kill all their pets and families with how big of a poo poo they're throwing. Its a game and its for fun, relax. Not too mention Epic has been changing and experimenting with different poo poo for the entire games existence, so this particular set of "balances" probably won't hang around long.

Yeah, none of the balance changes or weapons bother me at all but loving up motion aiming completely on Switch when it worked pretty well before was a bummer.

Hopefully some people are whining about that on there so it might get fixed, instead of just crying because someone broke their house with a new gun?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Squiggles Unite posted:

Better than the twitter threads which are nothing be people begging for likes, people bitching about people begging for likes and people complaining about weapons or asking for stuff to come back that is never coming back.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I miss the crossbow

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

AAB posted:

I miss the crossbow

The most important of posts, imo. Bring back the crossbow, but make it a 10 clip crossbow for rapid arrow firing fun

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
A vault LTM would be kinda nice.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Squiggles Unite posted:

Epic has been very receptive to fan opinions, and all it's gotten them is an entitled community that knows if they scream loud enough, they'll get the changes they want.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I couldn't exactly figure out what it was last season that left so many 50v50 games decided early in the match, but this season it's definitely whichever side has the most people dicking around in golf carts instead of moving towards the eye loses

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Autism Sneaks posted:

I couldn't exactly figure out what it was last season that left so many 50v50 games decided early in the match, but this season it's definitely whichever side has the most people dicking around in golf carts instead of moving towards the eye loses

90% of wins are determined by who gets the circle closer to their bus start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

santanotreal posted:

The most important of posts, imo. Bring back the crossbow, but make it a 10 clip crossbow for rapid arrow firing fun