Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

OmanyteJackson posted:

Nah, Planescape, Spelljammer, Eberron, Gamma world and Darksun especially have some really evocative settings and have a lot of tools in their respective toybox. Each setting introduces new rules to expand on what each setting does best. Each one also has a good elevator pitch, for example:

Dark Sun, a setting where magic has polluted and destroyed the world and the most powerful sorcerers rule as kings in totalitarian city-states.

And that's not even getting into the weird psychic monsters, cannibal halflings, the bug people, and of course, the factions.

Sorry if I sound like I'm making GBS threads on the lore of Ravnica, but it's just one big magic city with a lot of politics. You can already do that in pretty much any existing setting for DnD.

Nah I get it. So much of what makes it work is that they built the guilds from the ground up to be a very strong cultivated identity. Gruul in game play is going to feel like X and it feeds into the culture of the guild and it creates a really solid ludonarrative feedback loop, and that shits like brain candy for developing player attachment.

Magic settings only get so much time to be explored so they have to go for as high impact with its universe elements as possible. Rav was basically a complete home run for that design concept of a world and so it carries with it a lot of excitement.

Basically I’m really excited to see what they do with the guilds in a D&D environment to enable that sort of attachment here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Anti-Citizen posted:

Basically I’m really excited to see what they do with the guilds in a D&D environment to enable that sort of attachment here.
Bolas casts disintegrate as a level 17 wizard

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Honestly the biggest draw for Ravnica is the cool art, which most people already get Googling the cards.

I tried reading the novel that came with the first box and its a pretty bog standard setting with a Megacity theme.

The Goblins fly around in experimental tech and die young.

The rot zombies zombie.

The flower communists commune.

The Flying Paladins Paladin.

It's not a bad setting, just a very generic one, especially when they're talking about Eberron at the same time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Maybe I'm old and nostalgic but I simply can't care about guild city war. Guilds are overdone to begin with, but adding in a magic noose that yanks anyone who upsets the balance? Sounds great, i love having a magically enforced completely static game setting.

Where does the food come from, does it get magicked out of thin air or are people eating fungus burgers grown in massive underground farms? Or maybe floating greenhouses that eat concentrated light or even carefully guarded or hoarded secret portals to worlds with endless sun? Cmon now's your chance to sell me on this world, hit me with it

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 25, 2018

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How does attacking into an area of effect work? Does doing so count as entering?

Say there's a moonbeam hitting an enemy on a square next to me, can I whack the dude without getting hit by the moonbeam? Under TotM it would make sense that I would take a hit, as I'd have to reach through the light to attack (especially if,say, I'm shapeshifted into a bear) but on grid-logic I'm staying firmly in my square, so wouldn't get hit.

Is there a specific rule on this? Or is it just up to the DM and logic - spears you can attack from outside, bear claws you have to reach through.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

xilni posted:

So I can play on roll20 without buying the books again? I’m confused as to what buying a digital book does if I’ve already got a hard copy with me? Does it unlock features on the roll20 platform?

If you have the digital books, you can drag-and-drop stuff into character sheets, or in the case of adventure modules, maps and handouts and such. You can also do all of this manually; shelling out money is just a timesaver, nothing else. You can do everything without even paying a subscription, but having your DM get a subscription for your game might be a nice idea just to avoid ads and such.

For example, they have a Tomb of Annihilation module my wife bought to run the game for our group, which gives her all the maps in the game set up for roll20 and all the monsters and items added in the book. This lets her drop stuff into the game without needing much prep ahead of time. They haven't put Out of the Abyss up there yet, though, so when I start running that, I'll have to set up everything by hand.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just use roll20 as a digital grid and a diceroller. The integrated character sheets and stuff is just too clunky compared to like, keeping a separate excel for it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

gently caress, until someone pointed it out I didn't realize how much Ravnica lines up with Planescape. So I guess we're getting off-brand Sigil now. This is not a bad thing, Ravnica is one of the more interesting MtG settings IMO. Zendikar as a setting kinda sucked because despite being the ADVENTURE plane, it had like no defining traits because the world just reshapes itself for no reason.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Where does the food come from, does it get magicked out of thin air or are people eating fungus burgers grown in massive underground farms? Or maybe floating greenhouses that eat concentrated light or even carefully guarded or hoarded secret portals to worlds with endless sun? Cmon now's your chance to sell me on this world, hit me with it

I haven't found a source that goes into a ton of detail, but food production (and waste management) is the job of the Golgari Swarm. The Golgari are all about making fungus zombies and stuff. Basically, they collect all the trash and dead bodies and break them down in "rot farms" that eventually grow new food (fungus I guess?) in the trash and dead bodies.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Seriously, Ravnica is actually really loving cool. I mean this is a plane with Steam Punk Goblins, a Ghost Mafia, Tree Communists, Mad Geneticists ......and......Juggalos. And yet it works, all these disparate groups really feel like part of the same world and make something greater than the sum of their parts. It is a really cool and varied environment and the guilds really are a huge draw.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Seriously, Ravnica is actually really loving cool. I mean this is a plane with Steam Punk Goblins, a Ghost Mafia, Tree Communists, Mad Geneticists ......and......Juggalos. And yet it works, all these disparate groups really feel like part of the same world and make something greater than the sum of their parts. It is a really cool and varied environment and the guilds really are a huge draw.

I mean honestly the descriptions so far just sound like a city in Eberron ala Stormreach but with the 'Guilds' instead of 'Houses' with a unique aesthetic. I mean the final encounter of the 4e Eberron intro adventure involved you defending an airship (or was it a monorail) from goblins flying on rocket speeders trying to ambush and steal something.

EDIT:

Bhodi posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that would make me interested. Like whats the life of people on the ground, how do they work, if magic is everything then is it just a end game capitalist society of a overwhelming underclass without magic? What does a person without magic do to contribute as an adventurer?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 25, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I feel better now that they're trying to keep MTG "game" elements out of the campaign setting. If they truly do release a world book like the Critical Role's Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting then that will be a huge thumbs up. I probably wont ever play within that world until they bring it over to Adventure League, but paging through soon-to-be-legit source books is cool regardless.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 25, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kingcom posted:

This is the kind of poo poo that would make me interested. Like whats the life of people on the ground, how do they work, if magic is everything then is it just a end game capitalist society of a overwhelming underclass without magic? What does a person without magic do to contribute as an adventurer?

I believe that's the sort of thing that would be covered in a setting-specific sourcebook.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Here's my :effort: primer again for people who missed it, with a few added notes.

mango sentinel posted:

Brief summary of the settings and guilds, as of the original Guildpact era:

Ravnica is a giant vaguely european megacity. After an era of horrible strife like a thousand years ago, the leaders forged a magical contract called the Guildpact to create compromise and order out of the chaos. The pact fully established 10 9 Guilds. They are as follows:

Azorius Senate: The civil government and lawmakers of society. Stodgy and legalistic, founded by a Sphinx.

Boros Legion: Police force and, when needed, organized military force. Righteous justice. Founded by a fiery angel.

Golgari Swarm: Agriculture and waste disposal. Plants, fungus, goth druids, and necromancers. Big focus on both decay and fecundity. Live in the Undercity/sewers. Founded by a Lich.

Gruul Clans: Loosely affiliated tribes of mostly monsterfolk living in what passes as the "wilds" of Ravnica. Ostensibly wardens of the wilderness, they're mostly chaotic and destructive. Founded by a Cyclops.

Izzet League: Engineering and research for Ravnica. A collection of alchemist and mad scientists making things explode as often as they innovate. Founded by a Dragon.

Orzhov Syndicate: The city's financial organization and vaguely roman catholic style religious hierarchy. Lots of ghosts. Will gladly repo your soul over unpaid student loan debt. Founded by the ruling council of church patriarchs who have since died but remain on the modern ruling council as ghosts.

Cult of Rakdos: Entertainment industry. A bunch of violent sociopaths who organize public entertainment ranging from juggling shows to murder sports and frequently both at the same time with audience participation. Demonic Juggalos. Founded by a Demon.

Selesnya Conclave: Agriculture, public works, public beautification, and charity. Centaurs and prep druids. Haughty collectivists. Founded by a nature Elemental.

Simic Combine: Medical and biology. Better living through genetic recombination. Different flavor of mad scientists creating hybrids that are an affront to the gods. Founded by a Vedalken (a type of hairless, blue humanoid across the MTG Multiverse who tend to be smart, logical, and amoral.)

House Dimir: Secret 10th house of spies and betrayers actually set up by the Guildpact to keep the other 9 houses in balance. Spies, saboteurs, black market and intelligence brokers. Stewards of the true history of Ravnica. Founded by a Vampire who recently sundered the Guildpact by revealing House Dimir and attempting to usurp control of the city. It did not go well.

Rakdos and Gruul don't fit in super well since why would a society tolerate such near pointless destructive forces so I'm hoping the Rav book gives them a little more raison d'etre.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think there's a couple excuses for that. I think that the Guildpact literally forces everyone to put up with Rakdos and Gruul and the other factions just try to keep them in check and give them a job to do. I forget if this was an actually given excuse from a MaRo article or something I just made up but I think Rakdos might be a little more subdued than the cards let on. Like, the cards just don't show it because in a game where we're Planeswalkers trying to murder each other, "Magician Who Does a Card Trick And Nothing Bad Happens" isn't very useful as opposed to "Fat Knife Clown". So the game cares more about the chaotic death cult portion of the Rakdos guild than the in-universe fun face people usually see.

Still that being said, if there was a greater than zero chance that going to the guild's magic show might result in someone just actually getting sawed in half on stage I would think those shows would be a lot less popular. I don't think you get to "whoopsie" that one under the rug.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm bummed that M:tG cards will now be justifications for putting more stupid into this game. loving hell, I would've rather a crossover with just about anything else. Even the comedy options you are thinking about. Stapling on a bloated card game with years of redactions, lore, etc. is just too much for me to parse. Nobody is making me play the M:tG setting, yeah, I just hate the thought of the wasted opportunity on trying to milk a cash cow than ... you know... give a bone to existing D&D stuff that doesn't get to see the light of day.
I'm not trying to be the grognard shitmaster, but I've avoided M:tG for this long and now it's in my hobby too! :mad:

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 25, 2018

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Firstborn posted:

I'm bummed that M:tG cards will now be justifications for putting more stupid into this game. loving hell, I would've rather a crossover with just about anything else. Even the comedy options you are thinking about. Stapling on a bloated card game with years of redactions, lore, etc. is just too much for me to parse. Nobody is making me play the M:tG setting, yeah, I just hate the thought of the wasted opportunity on trying to milk a cash cow than ... you know... give a bone to existing D&D stuff that doesn't get to see the light of day.
I'm not trying to be the grognard shitmaster, but I've avoided M:tG for this long and now it's in my hobby too! :mad:

you may not be trying but boy are you succeeding

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Laughing at DnD players trying to act like they're above MtG players. Only difference is amount of money invested and even then you can go crazy for DnD

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It was a joke. I don't give a poo poo about WotC books at all*. This post is available on dmsguild for 1.99
I've included a d37 table of other lovely games to put in this one

* a recent development after buyer's remorse on some modules that required more work than if I had did it myself

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 25, 2018

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

MonsterEnvy posted:

Races of Eberron UA https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/723UA_EberronRaces7232018.pdf

I assume they are also in the campaign guide.

quote:

Integrated Tool
Choose one tool you’re proficient with. This tool is integrated into your body, and you double your proficiency bonus for any ability checks you make with it. You must have your hands free to use this integrated tool.

finally i can live the dream of playing a warforged chauffeur with an integrated carriage

envoybots, roll out

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i don't think it's particularly surprising that people are skeptical of them pushing a new setting without a clear vision for how it integrates or what it brings to the table beyond "it is an MTG tie-in." Sigil is planes and megacity, dark sun is psionics and harsh wilderness, etc. The existing concepts we've seen from the ravnica stuff released through UA doesn't seem to have any real through line. Ravnica seems to confirm the existing complaint that 5e has no real vision and releases books slowly and seemingly at random.

from the opposite end, what was cool about ravnica when it first dropped in MTG was in giving strong flavor to existing extratextual concepts; it's one thing to say that izzet represents the tricky and unpredictable nature of the U/R combo, and another to be like "niv mizzet is an Ancient Red Dragon who casts disintegrate as a level 18 caster" and so on.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
At this point I'm hard pressed to identify what any of you actually want or expect out of a setting book.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Personally, for me, the text has to eventually coalesce into a game. Pages upon pages of self referential garbage that informs nobody and reads like the author was getting paid by the word is the standard. Rather than starting with the history 10,000 years ago, maybe give some threads that lead to some place you could actually show and don't tell. Format the book so it's not strictly DM fanfiction that will never get run because the book isn't designed to be used at a table. Most settings books are just really bad genre fiction where you have to parse important information from dozens of paragraphs concerning towns the players will never go to, gods the players will never ask about, kings long dead with names nobody will remember...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Personally, for me, the text has to eventually coalesce into a game. Pages upon pages of self referential garbage that informs nobody and reads like the author was getting paid by the word is the standard. Rather than starting with the history 10,000 years ago, maybe give some threads that lead to some place you could actually show and don't tell. Format the book so it's not strictly DM fanfiction that will never get run because the book isn't designed to be used at a table. Most settings books are just really bad genre fiction where you have to parse important information from dozens of paragraphs concerning towns the players will never go to, gods the players will never ask about, kings long dead with names nobody will remember...

I like DM fanfiction

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's okay if you like it. Every DM I know has walls and walls of hardcovers he will never run ever, but has probably read once or twice and imagined a campaign hook about it (me too). That's the nature of those books. I don't mean to say I want a setting book with strictly mechanics, but you could probably throw in some one-page dungeons or encounters that would give you a peek into the tone they are going for and stuff. Instead, they will just write a lovely genre novel and bold some text if it corresponds to a creature you can find in a separate monster manual.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Firstborn posted:

It's okay if you like it. Every DM I know has walls and walls of hardcovers he will never run ever, but has probably read once or twice and imagined a campaign hook about it (me too). That's the nature of those books. I don't mean to say I want a setting book with strictly mechanics, but you could probably throw in some one-page dungeons or encounters that would give you a peek into the tone they are going for and stuff. Instead, they will just write a lovely genre novel and bold some text if it corresponds to a creature you can find in a separate monster manual.

Yeah I would love that

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mango sentinel posted:

At this point I'm hard pressed to identify what any of you actually want or expect out of a setting book.

im still waiting on a PHB audiobook

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I was meh on both of these settings (Ravnica and Eberron) but I just learned Eberron is early-20th century war in DnD setting form, and now I'm going to be all in on that poo poo.

I ran a Star Wars EotE campaign based on Hitler and the Munich Putsch after I read Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. (No, Hitler was not the good guy because I'm sure someone has done that.) :godwin:

mango sentinel posted:

I posted this before, but a Dark Sun or Dragonlance book in the style of Curse of Strahd would've been my preference, with lots of setting material and a good sandbox-y campaign to go with it. I'd also accept something along the lines of the 3-volume Drow War series.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Well it can't be a new setting because there are old ones that haven't been released. And it can't be an old one because those are all rehashes.

It can't have lots of new options because then they're forcing you to buy the book. But if it doesn't have enough then it is a waste.

DND broke some brains and now some people just look for a reason to be outraged and butthurt about everything.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Seems like a pretty reductive take.
I also never read or talked to anyone who thought CoS for example was a rehash of the Ravenloft module. Not really sure what you are getting at.
e: edited for feelings

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 25, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
whoops

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 25, 2018

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I want some low-magic setting poo poo. Where wizards and heroes are rare and amazing.

Forgotten Realms makes it difficult for you as a DM to make heroes feel heroic by default. A wizard can shoot a fireball at 3 but whatever, even in this small village there's an NPC that can do better than that but doesn't because of *~reasons~*.

Apparently Greyhawk is kind of like that, fantasy but not like "magic hogwarts street lamps" all over the place.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

doctor 7 posted:

I want some low-magic setting poo poo. Where wizards and heroes are rare and amazing.

Forgotten Realms makes it difficult for you as a DM to make heroes feel heroic by default. A wizard can shoot a fireball at 3 but whatever, even in this small village there's an NPC that can do better than that but doesn't because of *~reasons~*.

Apparently Greyhawk is kind of like that, fantasy but not like "magic hogwarts street lamps" all over the place.

I'm kind of skeptical that Greyhawk is like that based on what I vaguely remember from reading the Greyhawk Gazetteer back in the day.

If I remember correctly the entire Western side of the main continent is a desert because some mages got out of control.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Greyhawk is one of the most egregious examples of high-level NPCs not doing poo poo about the goblin town nearby for ~reasons~. Turns out, the ~reason~ was that Gygax tended to populate his towns and stuff with retired PCs (in some cases, the players retired from the game) to give the game a consistent feel like you would see in an MMO or something.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Firstborn posted:

Greyhawk is one of the most egregious examples of high-level NPCs not doing poo poo about the goblin town nearby for ~reasons~. Turns out, the ~reason~ was that Gygax tended to populate his towns and stuff with retired PCs (in some cases, the players retired from the game) to give the game a consistent feel like you would see in an MMO or something.

Ah. All I know about Greyhawk is stuff I read in older modules and none of the towns seem magical mystical. Compared to Forgotten Realms where basically everything is magical of some sort.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If there's anything that really separates Greyhawk from FR, I have no idea what it is.

Anyways, some of you are a touch too cynical. Even if the Ravnica book is a shameless marketing move, that doesn't preclude it from being good. Plus, Ravnica is cool.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

doctor 7 posted:

Ah. All I know about Greyhawk is stuff I read in older modules and none of the towns seem magical mystical. Compared to Forgotten Realms where basically everything is magical of some sort.

Towns don't seem magical mystical but 9 out of 10 of them have that weird old guy who lives on the outskirts of town that is actually some obi wan Luke Skywalker bullshit 20th level adventure who retired for the quiet life and secretly protects the village.

Conversely, Eberron is full of magic and incredibly fantastical, but the very powerful movers and shakers of that setting top out at like level 10-12. Characters in that setting can feel elevated to real power players on a global scale and eventually just demigods. The level of magic in a setting doesn't really dictate that compared to the relative level of power/capability.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So does the kalashtar's racial resistance to psychic damage make it a prime choice for the "angry onion" druid/barbarian build, or are there still better races to do that with?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The only thing that bums me out about Ravnica is that it's like a baby Sigil, and that means we won't get Sigil for a long time.

I wanna play the poo poo out of Spore Druid though. I bet that School of Invention wizard is Izzet, too.

Unrelated: Does anyone else like doing lovely accents as much as I do? Because I loving love doing lovely accents. Current ones are a horrible Skyrim-inspired Norse accent and the other is like a nasal Deckard Cain, with mid-Atlantic and Maine in equal measure. At some point I wanna try to do an idyllic Dorset country accent without becoming a pirate. It's tricky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Demons & Devils & Dungeons & Dragons: A Brief History

As a response to the release of Mordenkainen's tome of Foes, the Plot Points podcast did a fantastic job of breaking it down and wanted to let the world know as best I can.

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-pt-1

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-part-ii

I'm kinda amazed whom he was able to record with.