Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Good idea, will probably save you from a fun washer flooding.
And dryer fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

Huh, we got mom a side-by-side fridge since she was in a wheelchair. It was easier for her to get stuff from the freezer that way. :shrug:

My mom's not in a wheelchair, but she can't bend over without pain. Our old fridge was about 16 years old and had the freezer on top and the fridge on the bottom like every cheap fridge back then, so she had no choice but to bend to see anything except the freezer. Now she has the entire fridge at eye level and within easy reach.

If she needs something from the freezer, she has one of those claw grabby things that you use to pick up trash on roadways.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

GWBBQ posted:

And dryer fire.

That was my main fear, had 24 year old dryer with a belt that was starting to go bad.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Bought a new washer and dryer set since I am a homeowner now and the 14 year old washer and 24 year old dryer were making some strange noises. Figured it's better to just grab a new set than potentially go down an endless rabbit hole of fixing things on them

My parents just replaced their 15 year old Maytag washer and dryer with the same exact ones. I haven't had any complaints about them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Bought a new washer and dryer set since I am a homeowner now and the 14 year old washer and 24 year old dryer were making some strange noises. Figured it's better to just grab a new set than potentially go down an endless rabbit hole of fixing things on them

:chanpop::shlick:

These are awesome and I keep waiting for our old machines to die to we can get Speed Queens. But instead our old machines keep being cheap to fix for now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Huh, we got mom a side-by-side fridge since she was in a wheelchair. It was easier for her to get stuff from the freezer that way. :shrug:

How long ago did you get one/would you recommend the model you got? My dad’s getting up there and has been increasingly having mobility problems due to Polio, so my brother and I have been kicking around the idea of getting him one with freezer side/fridge side.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ultimate Mango posted:

:chanpop::shlick:

These are awesome and I keep waiting for our old machines to die to we can get Speed Queens. But instead our old machines keep being cheap to fix for now.

I did way too much research to choose them. The night I took that pic so I could sleep on it before buying in the morning, I stumbled upon a bunch of posts and reviews saying the 2018 ones didn't clean well. After frantic googling and reading, I found a Youtube of an appliance guy that has test videos of full cycles of washers (of which I had no idea existed) and realized everything turned out perfectly fine. I learned the issue is just don't use the Eco mode and just use the normal settings like previous Speed Queens. Definitely had some freaking out there though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I did way too much research to choose them. The night I took that pic so I could sleep on it before buying in the morning, I stumbled upon a bunch of posts and reviews saying the 2018 ones didn't clean well. After frantic googling and reading, I found a Youtube of an appliance guy that has test videos of full cycles of washers (of which I had no idea existed) and realized everything turned out perfectly fine. I learned the issue is just don't use the Eco mode and just use the normal settings like previous Speed Queens. Definitely had some freaking out there though.

Did you get these at a big box or specialty retailer?

At this point I am tempted to just sabotage our 17 years old machines.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Nothing but love for my speedqueens, worth every penny.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I bought those exact Speed Queens when I bought my house. They fuckin rule. Killer name too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Did you get these at a big box or specialty retailer?

At this point I am tempted to just sabotage our 17 years old machines.

Big box. The Speed Queen site had a list of authorized retailers, and the Big Sandy's in my mall was one of them. I think I gave the sales rep an easy day that morning too, I knew what I wanted and took literally like 5 minutes from walking in to leaving with an invoice

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Big box. The Speed Queen site had a list of authorized retailers, and the Big Sandy's in my mall was one of them. I think I gave the sales rep an easy day that morning too, I knew what I wanted and took literally like 5 minutes from walking in to leaving with an invoice

I didn't even do that. My dryer died, I called our local retailer and bought them over the phone. They were installed the next day.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I do like the Speed Queen's brand name.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

LadyPictureShow posted:

How long ago did you get one/would you recommend the model you got? My dad’s getting up there and has been increasingly having mobility problems due to Polio, so my brother and I have been kicking around the idea of getting him one with freezer side/fridge side.

I got a Whirlpool model one back in 2007 with my house. Speaking of which...

Apparently my refrigerator's freezer failed to defrost, so I got a refurbished Whirlpool side-by-side to replace it. $500 vs. over $700 in repairs (or more if I wanted a brand new refrigerator) isn't too bad.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I got a Whirlpool model one back in 2007 with my house. Speaking of which...

Apparently my refrigerator's freezer failed to defrost, so I got a refurbished Whirlpool side-by-side to replace it. $500 vs. over $700 in repairs (or more if I wanted a brand new refrigerator) isn't too bad.

Where from? Curious where you can find refurbished appliances...

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

OSU_Matthew posted:

Where from? Curious where you can find refurbished appliances...

At least in my area (Maryland) there are a number of ReStores (https://www.habitat.org/restores) where they have a ton of extra building materials/general house stuff for sale. Everything from cabinets to light fixtures to appliances.

Aside from that I know the big box hardware stores will sometimes sell scratch&dent or repaired units for cheap.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I talked to my rental management company & my refrigerator is from Spencer's Appliances in Portland, OR. Like Spring Heeled Jack mentioned, there are companies that specialize in refurbished stuff in various communities.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Never go down the YouTube hole for vacuums.
I looked up how to repair my Dyson and there is a whole culture about these things.

Humans: What a bunch of jerks.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Inzombiac posted:

I looked up how to repair my Dyson and there is a whole culture about these things.

Humans: What a bunch of jerkssuckers.

:imunfunny:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

Humans: What a bunch of jerks.

Out of curiosity did you find what you needed? I got a Dyson in 2005 and after the very first time I emptied it, the suction on the main carpet piece became garbage. The suction of the unit is still great and I mainly use the hose for stuff as I don't have many carpets at our current house, but I cleaned the filter and checked all points of connection and never figured out why the bottom won't suck well. Wondering if it's worth delving into forums about.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Signed up for AMC A-List (3 movies per week including IMAX, 3D, etc) for $20/month, and then immediately got a ticket to see Mission Impossible Fallout in the new crazy Dolby Atmos cinema for this Friday. :getin:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tim Whatley posted:

Signed up for AMC A-List (3 movies per week including IMAX, 3D, etc) for $20/month, and then immediately got a ticket to see Mission Impossible Fallout in the new crazy Dolby Atmos cinema for this Friday. :getin:

We're probably dropping moviepass for that. Better deal since it includes Atmos/IMAX and we go to the Disney AMC most of the time anyways. I wonder if it will also let us do the dine in screenings.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

We're probably dropping moviepass for that. Better deal since it includes Atmos/IMAX and we go to the Disney AMC most of the time anyways. I wonder if it will also let us do the dine in screenings.

It does indeed work with Dine-In. Only thing it doesn't work on is Fathom Events and that's because those are technically rented out by Fathom. I am jealous your AMC is the Disney Springs one, btw.

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
Just bought my first Car, a Citroën C3 2007 exclusive HDI 1.4

I'm super Happy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Some cheap pla for printing. Got a roll of clear and transparent green, and a roll of gray and white. The gray and white ones were 9 bucks a pop, with prime, so yay!

Also bought a mini hacksaw and a flathead screwdriver so I can fix the drain in my tub.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity did you find what you needed? I got a Dyson in 2005 and after the very first time I emptied it, the suction on the main carpet piece became garbage. The suction of the unit is still great and I mainly use the hose for stuff as I don't have many carpets at our current house, but I cleaned the filter and checked all points of connection and never figured out why the bottom won't suck well. Wondering if it's worth delving into forums about.

Yes, I did. I have a ball one (not sure of the model) and I had to look up how to disassemble the lower portion.
Turns out you can vacuum up grass/hay but only if you want to clean out the whole thing every 5 minutes.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
$87 worth of fishing lures. A few mepps spinners, a couple Rapala crank and jerkbaits, some yum dingers, and a top water frog that I'm not going to catch anything with but really really want to. Also some weedless hooks for hopefully more productive wacky riggin.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Sex toy:

Kind of a happy story about it--years ago, the Cross Ion was my favorite pocket pen. Then they stopped making it. Then I lost or broke my last one of them, and I'd be damned if I was going to pay some stupid collector's price for what should have been an odd but replaceable everyday tool.

Today I learned that Cross bought Sheaffer fairly recently and restarted production on the Ion under their name. It looks like they got rid of the old soft grip front of it, which is smart, because that used to wear out frustratingly quickly.

The odd part of this pen is the opening mechanism. You pull the front and back halves apart, and the tip extends and locks. Here's what it looks like open:

Like I said...sex toy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sexual Lorax posted:

Sex toy:

Kind of a happy story about it--years ago, the Cross Ion was my favorite pocket pen. Then they stopped making it. Then I lost or broke my last one of them, and I'd be damned if I was going to pay some stupid collector's price for what should have been an odd but replaceable everyday tool.

Today I learned that Cross bought Sheaffer fairly recently and restarted production on the Ion under their name. It looks like they got rid of the old soft grip front of it, which is smart, because that used to wear out frustratingly quickly.

The odd part of this pen is the opening mechanism. You pull the front and back halves apart, and the tip extends and locks. Here's what it looks like open:

Like I said...sex toy.

Seriouspost: Once you get over gimmicky pens in gaudy colours you're ready to buy the best biro for adults:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: Once you get over gimmicky pens in gaudy colours you're ready to buy the best biro for adults:

I mean when you're right, you're right.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Hard to go past the classics.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sexual Lorax posted:

Sex toy:

Like I said...sex toy.

Man! I used an ion throughout like all of high school. poo poo got expensive for me though, the refills lasted like a week at a time and the pens were 20 bucks a pop.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jerry Cotton posted:

That’s not a Bic?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Coffee And Pie posted:

That’s not a Bic G2?

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

So you get three tickets a week to see whatever you want - can three different people go see the same movie together? Or are these tickets only good for one person? I was interested in signing up for this when it was announced but I'm not really sure what the limitations are.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That’s not a Bic G2 Zebra F-301?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Eh, gaudy's in the eye of the beholder. I also got one in all black, but that didn't look quite as much like a vibrator as the red one does.

The real reason I love the Ion so much is that it's short enough to forget in a pants pocket. If I tried to carry a normal pen the same way, I'd break it in half inside of a week.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Solid Cake posted:

So you get three tickets a week to see whatever you want - can three different people go see the same movie together? Or are these tickets only good for one person? I was interested in signing up for this when it was announced but I'm not really sure what the limitations are.

This was the first I'd heard of it as well, so I looked it up:
https://www.amctheatres.com/amcstubs/alist
https://www.amctheatres.com/faqs/alist

Just like MoviePass, it's only usable by the account holder.

They're opening a huge new AMC like a half mile from my house and I'll almost certainly sign up for this. Pretty sure my wife will ditch her MoviePass and switch to this too. You give up unlimited monthly movies but get access to 3D/IMAX/VIP and I'll never see more than 3 movies in a week. Seems like a great deal as long as you see 2 or more movies a month and have an AMC nearby.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pilot G2 ink smears like a mofo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Tul makes the best pens