Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bussamove posted:

Other than Tressa who is my main and Olberic because he is a freight train that walks like a man.

The name of this train is the MY BLADE IS UNBENDING Special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What's a good job to slap on Therion? Preferably not apothecary, warrior, or dancer since those are the rest of my A team.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Go finish the other 4 characters' ch2 stories then, unless you're insisting on only using 4 characters total for some reason. Your leader/core crew will get a few more levels. Explore too. I can't imagine how people are underleveled unless they just aren't exploring the dungeons they come across.

And levels are just a recommendation. If you've got a good party and know the combat system you can beat stuff underleveled. I was killing random encounters in level 45-50 areas in my low 30s / high 20s because I had setup parties for it (like Cyrus +Ophilia/Primrose as a scholar so I could 4x aoe elemental weaknesses) and had good gear from robbing high level NPCs and exploring high level areas.

I'm only using Tressa/Prim/Cyrus/Therion so my character levels don't go out of sync. I'm going to repeat everything with Team B when I've finished all Team A's chapter 4s.

All of that's pointless though, they fairly effortlessly smashed chapter 3. Cyrus' boss was a little trouble, but easy enough.

Fought the runelord around level 35. I managed to burn through the first 100k hp well enough. The second 100k seems much more problematic given that his AoE sweep will nearly kill the party and inflict status effects fairly reliably. Rather annoying that breaking him doesn't stop it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jeez I am getting poo poo on by the warmaster :negative: I guess I should just give everyone the overheal support skill to deal with her 6 attacks?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Does the Extra Experience skill apply to the whole party or just the person who has it equipped?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

404notfound posted:

What's a good job to slap on Therion? Preferably not apothecary, warrior, or dancer since those are the rest of my A team.

Cleric, since his thief moves don't really benefit from boost.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So getting to the Ruins of Hornberg sure was a bunch of arbitrary needle hunting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you people who are stealing everything save scumming ?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Alfyn "Thorn of Unending Nightmares" Greengrass is in fact cool.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

404notfound posted:

Hunter until you unlock warmaster, then warmaster.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kashuno posted:

Jeez I am getting poo poo on by the warmaster :negative: I guess I should just give everyone the overheal support skill to deal with her 6 attacks?

You should focus on defense break so you can keep them from getting to ever use those 6 actions.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

404notfound posted:

His stats are really balanced, so he can do just about everything competently. His default job is good enough that he doesn't really require additional damage options (although he can certainly make good use of them, it's just that the drains are so good that he can get by fine with just them).

So I think he's best with a support-type secondary, for your party cleric or merchant sound like decent options - that's assuming that Primrose is doing scholar/sorceror though, you definitely want one of those around and Therion is the next best option for it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

404notfound posted:

I just read this again and realized you have the same A-Team as me so here's my setup :v:

Therion/Warmaster
Olberic/Cleric
Primrose/Scholar (switch to Sorcerer for boss fights)
Alfyn/Merchant

Therion can just do tons of damage as warmaster with the warmaster attacks, then refill his sp gague in one move. If you can time the warmaster divine with an enemy being broken it's worth a good 50-60k damage. Olberic provides emergency heals (which heal for a ton since he has a high elemental defense from equipment and stats) but otherwise screams a lot about his blade and can do upwards of 40K with his divine. Prim explodes things and provides the occasional buff. Alfyn provides buffs, heals, and bp to everyone in various ways, poisons bosses, and also helps with breaking defenses (don't underestimate the power of boosting the hired help skill, the mercenaries and dancers in there are cheap but can really turn the tide with their buff/debuffs)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

euphronius posted:

Extensively.
I draw the line at 3% though.
I've tried to catch enough legendary Pokemon in my day.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
My party makeup is built around exploiting weaknesses for quick wins

Prim/Sorcerer
Cyrus/Runeblade
Olberic/Warmaster
Ophilia/Starseeker

A single round can break pretty much any enemy group

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can’t save scum. It seems like the way to go tho of you want to steal the Uber gear.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ok until now I haven't spoiled anything for myself but given that I have all the other subclasses and doing chapter 2s now....I need to know, where the gently caress is the Merchant subclass shrine

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm tempted to make Cyrus my Runelord so he can do a lot of damage with his own elemental buffs, but on the other hand, if I give Runelord to Tressa instead she can use Transfer Rune + Sidestep...

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DLC Inc posted:

ok until now I haven't spoiled anything for myself but given that I have all the other subclasses and doing chapter 2s now....I need to know, where the gently caress is the Merchant subclass shrine

Subclass shrines are always outside the characters starting town in the path leading to the second chapter ring

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Does the Extra Experience skill apply to the whole party or just the person who has it equipped?

If it says that equipping it with multiple characters won't increase the effect then it's party-wide (which I think it is?)

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Subclass shrines are always outside the characters starting town in the path leading to the second chapter ring

...although in the case of cleric and merchant the direct path is blocked, so to get to them you have to go through the areas with the hunter/warrior shrines.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

fezball posted:

...although in the case of cleric and merchant the direct path is blocked, so to get to them you have to go through the areas with the hunter/warrior shrines.

Well yeah but I still found all the shrines using that general principle

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

DLC Inc posted:

On the coast, on the way to Goldshore (Alfyn's chapter 2 town)

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Am I right in assuming I don't really necessarily want my main caster to be the one who is using the Scholar Divine Skill? Like, would it be better to make someone speedy like Therion a Scholar with the Divine Skill and have him use the skill on Cyrus?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Am I right in assuming I don't really necessarily want my main caster to be the one who is using the Scholar Divine Skill? Like, would it be better to make someone speedy like Therion a Scholar with the Divine Skill and have him use the skill on Cyrus?

Alephan's Enlightenment lasts a few turns so it should be fine to stick it on Cyrus. If you can manage to get enough BP on your sorceror though, you might be able to get off 3 Big Damage spells in one cycle, but I don't think I'd bet on that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

What makes the difficulty of places go up. Is it how many chapters you have completed in general? Party level?

Collected 5 pals. And I'm about at the level to start my mains chow. And just wrecking chp1s. I can get the last 3 and put in my low level pals or do some chp2s.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Bombadilillo posted:

What makes the difficulty of places go up. Is it how many chapters you have completed in general? Party level?

The Chapter 1s scale with party members gathered, I think, up to level 12.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bombadilillo posted:

The first ring areas scale with party size so you don't get overwhelmed trying to get up to four members.

I'm pretty sure everything outside that is just set because you're assumed to have everyone by then.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

^^^thanks!

ChaosArgate posted:

The Chapter 1s scale with party members gathered, I think, up to level 12.

The paths around that inner ring seem scaling like that as well. Is the rest of the areas static?

It's a real neat trick to let you start however you want. And everyone so far seems useful enough that there isn't a "bad" main.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Not necessarily since Alephan's Enlightenment changes how AoE spells work while it's done, so it's typically done on a case by case basis.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Those are really good points, and somewhat of a relief. I've really gotten into overthinking this stuff when I should probably just be going ENLIGHTENMENT MAKES CASTER GO BOOM my focus is unparalleled.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Frankston posted:

Whole party. There's eventually a +EXP/+JEXP item you can get that works the same way, but they stack with each other.

Kashuno posted:

Try doing Runelord first. If you beat Runelord you get access to Transfer Rune, which makes it so that self-buff skills apply to the whole party, meaning you can give your whole party Sidestep meaning you literally can't lose against Warmaster.

Natural 20 posted:

Fought the runelord around level 35. I managed to burn through the first 100k hp well enough. The second 100k seems much more problematic given that his AoE sweep will nearly kill the party and inflict status effects fairly reliably.
Yeah you pretty much have to take him from yellow health to dead before he can get a single move off. My strategy was Therion/Merchant, Tressa/Warrior, Primrose/Sorceror, Ophilia/Apothecary. For skills the big important one is to have Persistence/Show Must Go On on EVERYONE, which makes all buffs last two turns longer. Tressa is your dodgetank, using Sidestep to evade all attacks, and Incite to mean she always gets attacked. Therion uses basically nothing but Donate BP to keep Tressa boosted enough to always have 2 dodge. Primrose is your DP and buffer/debuffer, and Ophilia (should) never actually need to heal, but functions as a breaker and enabler, while also using Empoison.

Basically, you want to take the fight VERY slow. Use Primrose's Dancer skill to allow either Prim or Ophilia to cast party-wide buffs. With a single point of boost, Lion Dance and Peacock Strut last for six turns. Also having Primrose as Sorceror will let you use the Staff skill which lowers magic defense, and Therion has his lower physical defense skill. Slowly build up to a max of 9 turn buffs on everyone, once you're up there it's pretty easy to maintain. The ultimate goal is to hit the second phase with a fully buffed up team and a debuffed boss so you can shotgun him down. Cast Ophilia's Divine skill on Primrose which lets her act twice, then donate her a BP and use the same skill again on Therion. Primrose casts a 3x hit spell twice, Therion uses Call Help (pay money to attack) and use the 30k option to do a 4-hit combo twice, use the same skill on Tressa. The upside of this is that those combination of skills will 100% break him, so they gives you two more turns to get damage in. When he get un-broken, he will take a turn to re-fortify, then attack again, meaning if you can survive one attack you can break him again for two more turns of damage. So, optimally, you have six turns in which to kill him, and if you don't manage it the fight's over.

If you have to grind to get either of those Divine skills, I'm not gonna say you can't do the battle without them, but I'm really not sure you can do the battle without them. You will also 100000% need the Dancer divine skill to beat Starseer and Sorcerer so honestly you may as well, and I'm also 100000% sure you cant beat the Warlord without first beating Rune (at least at your level).

euphronius posted:

There are ways to massively increase the odds but I've never savescummed for anything with a lower drop chance than 80%, save for quest-related items I can't trust myself to remember to come back for later.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like when you hit the right shoulder button and your characters moan with power

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
also realtalk: the primary reason I don't regularly use therion is WA-HAHAHAHA

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

euphronius posted:

I like when you hit the right shoulder button and your characters moan with power

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

theshim posted:

also realtalk: the primary reason I regularly use therion is WA-HAHAHAHA

:hai:

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
therion's laugh is very cute

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Folt The Bolt posted:

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

I'm SO HIGH RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS!

should be an Alfyn line

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Just saw the Frog King.

That's quite the Pokemon evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

So what I'm getting from this is that I should not attempt any of the advanced jobs without the Dancer and Cleric Divine Skills?