Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Never heard of the missing round thing happening. Is it happening with all weapons? I've only really handled the cheap ones like the revolver and winfield carbine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argila
Oct 23, 2008

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

All in all if you have to choose between a weapon which is extremely situational...

https://v.redd.it/nflt9hn31ra11

Tinfoil_Papercut_strats.mov???

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
New fog is pretty fun. I had a game where I and another guy were ambushed by guys with crossbows in the fog, and it was REALLY hard to tell where that poo poo was coming from. Just angry whistling noises cutting through the fog.

Then they started throwing knives.

a mysterious cloak posted:

So... Not really feeling it for this game. Played last night, killed a few monsters, heard some gunshots, tracked down the Butcher. Then I tried hunting other players a bit but never found anybody. So I just dove in and attacked the Butcher in the last 5 minutes of the round and got murdered. Definitely cool and atmospheric, though.

It grew on me after I got the hang of the game. Within around ten rounds I was downing duos by myself.

Then I hit 21+ and got moved into Dolch country and I had to start playing duos with randos. I actually enjoy duo play more, most of the time, except when they're running away constantly.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Never heard of the missing round thing happening. Is it happening with all weapons? I've only really handled the cheap ones like the revolver and winfield carbine.

It's a gun thing. Some guns like the Winfield start with a full "tube" of ammo. Then you rack the lever, taking a bullet out of the tube, and into the chamber. That's why the Winfield always starts down one round.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

It was happening with the starter weapons my hunter came with, and I'm not very high level either. It was also happening to my partner.

But I played a couple of hunts just now and this didn't happen so I'm not sure if it was fixed in the last patch or what. If it happens again I'll report.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
My partner left early last night so I did a few solo rounds.

One match the spider was down at Slaughterhouse. There's a 15 minute stalemate between two dudes outside and two dudes inside. Both teams are talking over voice and actively making GBS threads on each other, explaining how terrible the other team is.

So I sneak up and spend about 5 minutes plunking the dudes outside with a silenced nagant. The conversation went something like:

Guys outside: "Wow nice silenced nagant, come outside and show me how good you are when it's not through a wall."

Guys inside: "We don't have a silenced nagant, idiot. Someone else is out there."

Guys outside: "Nice try, how stupid do you think we are!"

After a while I got bored and shot the dudes outside with the carbine. During the chaos the two dudes inside took off and I couldn't catch them in time.

100% worth it.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I was super iffy on getting this but duos with a bro are insanely fun.

Last night we had an insane 6 to 8 person brawl in the fog outside the butcher's location, racking up four kills before we were so low on resources and health we had to extract. Not a ton of money since we just found some clues but a load of XP from a T3 player kill and a whole mess of random monsters.

Game is good and the fog is probably the best implemented I've ever seen in a game.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

caedwalla posted:

I was super iffy on getting this but duos with a bro are insanely fun.

Last night we had an insane 6 to 8 person brawl in the fog outside the butcher's location, racking up four kills before we were so low on resources and health we had to extract. Not a ton of money since we just found some clues but a load of XP from a T3 player kill and a whole mess of random monsters.

Game is good and the fog is probably the best implemented I've ever seen in a game.

The new fog effect is probably my favorite in a game it’s so spoopy.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
The little details in this game keep impressing even months after release; I love the weathering on the scopes:

The only good recent kill story I can offer is when I tracked a duo into a church, but was not very well armed so I grabbed a sledgehammer and turned on the player piano. Hearing the one ask the other what was going on while I strode down the stairs to bash him in the head was worth the death that immediately followed when his friend turned around. I want to be able to buy cheap short-lived throwable music boxes.

Do alarm animals like chickens and dogs always make idle noises when you're within earshot with only one level of panicked sound, or is there a progression of noise as they get more and more spooked by a nearby player?

Sard fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 20, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sard posted:

Do alarm animals like chickens and dogs always make idle noises when you're within earshot with only one level of panicked sound, or is there a progression of noise as they get more and more spooked by a nearby player?

There's both a nearby idle and a progression of alarmed states. The progression is only ever caused by players.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I really hope the devs don't take out the DSB. I can't imagine why there is a very vocal, very toxic part of the playerbase that has been screaming about it endlessly for the past month or so. Having played before and after, I way prefer the aggressive play that DSB encourages.

Walking out of the boss fight and getting taken down like the loving tollbooth scene from Godfather blew. Turning it into a contest, or a running gun battle that goes all the way to the extract? Way better.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

DSB?

Dark Sight..thing? Are you talking about the limited wallhack provided after picking up a bounty?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

DSB?

Dark Sight..thing? Are you talking about the limited wallhack provided after picking up a bounty?

Dark Sight Boost, yeah. I think it is a great tool not just for promoting playing for the objective, but for helping new players develop their game sense.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
It'd be nice if the devs didn't cave to toxic pissbabies like so many other developers have done in similar games, then wonder why their player base has dropped.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So it's the starting Winfield1873C that starts with a bullet missing in the chamber. I tested this out several times today with two low level hunters (well all my guys are pretty low level TBH) who I lost unceremoniously. Now I'm just in the habit of checking my guns and pressing reload at the start of a hunt.

Is that normal or a glitch?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Dark Sight Boost, yeah. I think it is a great tool not just for promoting playing for the objective, but for helping new players develop their game sense.

:agreed:

Orv
May 4, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

So it's the starting Winfield1873C that starts with a bullet missing in the chamber. I tested this out several times today with two low level hunters (well all my guys are pretty low level TBH) who I lost unceremoniously. Now I'm just in the habit of checking my guns and pressing reload at the start of a hunt.

Is that normal or a glitch?

Intended.

Sard
May 11, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Winfield1873C

The gun starts with a full magazine but nothing ready to fire; the first round in the magazine is immediately chambered, leaving you with an open spot to reload when the match begins.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I don't think the DSB is bad in and of itself - but the "meta" shift it has caused isn't the best. Everyone rushes the bosses now as fast as they can and whoever is lucky enough to stumble across him first gets the win.

I think both bosses need a boost in HP, especially the butcher. If you're a hunter who started at the other end of the map, you ought to have the opportunity to run over to the boss camp once you can hear poo poo going down.

As it stands right now the Butcher can be dropped in a manner of seconds, even with low Tier weapons. The spider's behavior makes it take a bit longer to put him down, but the TTK there is also too short.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I don't think the DSB is bad in and of itself - but the "meta" shift it has caused isn't the best. Everyone rushes the bosses now as fast as they can and whoever is lucky enough to stumble across him first gets the win.

I think both bosses need a boost in HP, especially the butcher. If you're a hunter who started at the other end of the map, you ought to have the opportunity to run over to the boss camp once you can hear poo poo going down.

As it stands right now the Butcher can be dropped in a manner of seconds, even with low Tier weapons. The spider's behavior makes it take a bit longer to put him down, but the TTK there is also too short.

It's still in tweaking phases.

Personally I wish there were more randomized spots to spawn in because as it is, if you spawn in on one corner, it's almost assured that the opposite side of that corner is where another team will spawn.

I also really wish there was just an offline practice mode because as much as I'm down with high risk, high rewards, it feels lovely for us to have to go live in a match with a gun we've never futzed with before. I didn't know you needed to exit iron sights to use the pump action shotgun with more than one shot. That got me and my partner killed. Whereas with the Double barrel it's just click-click, boom boom. No needing to stop aiming.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Part of that is due to the fact that sometimes, the bosses spawn right on the edge of the maps. So sometimes, people stumble onto them almost immediately and if no one spawned nearby, welp. Encouraging people to complete the objective as fast as possible is a good thing, but maybe it would be better if the bosses themselves only spawned closer to the vague 'center' of the map.

Of course, that makes running the gauntlet a lot easier and makes it more probable that they'll spawn right next to each other.

I wouldn't mind boss-camps so much if it wasn't so hard to spot people, and the damage so high. Without DSB, you are likely to get killed by a boss-camp unless they're pretty bad, or you're at one of the boss sites that actually have some nice paths you can take to get the hell out.

It also feels like a lot of the consumables are way more useful for breaking a defense in a building you for sure know someone's in than they are for running interference as you escape.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thinking about running solo to level up and gain some practice time when I don't have my usual partner around.

How do you guys quietly deal with monsters like the Hive lady without a silenced pistol or similar weapon? I'm worried about making too much noise when I encounter her and I'm not high enough level to purchase the silenced pistol for any of my guys yet.

Sard posted:

The gun starts with a full magazine but nothing ready to fire; the first round in the magazine is immediately chambered, leaving you with an open spot to reload when the match begins.

Orv posted:

Intended.

Ok ya, I had a feeling it was for realism sake or something but that's cool.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Thinking about running solo to level up and gain some practice time when I don't have my usual partner around.

How do you guys quietly deal with monsters like the Hive lady without a silenced pistol or similar weapon? I'm worried about making too much noise when I encounter her and I'm not high enough level to purchase the silenced pistol for any of my guys yet.

The problem is that any monster you kill will make noise, even with melee. It's harder to hear ( especially if you kill them before they aggro and scream ) but someone who's really on point can pick up on it.

So the question becomes less "how do I want to deal with this thing" and more "do I really need to?" If yes,

1) If you've really got to kill a Hive, you can always run in and melee it. This works best with a machete or axe, and if you have the Tomahawk perk, that's also something you can use.

2) Lantern it and move on. This is less useful if you want to move where it is, but effective if you just want to make sure it isn't a threat and move on without firing a shot.

3) Throwing knives can be used for melee, and take down a Hive in one/two hits. Three if you're unlucky. These are a great buy for the price.

4) I like to carry fusees because not only are they useful on night maps for messing with people, but for 12 dollars, you have three flares that can easily kill an armored. This is more useful during the day than the night ( because you won't create a huge sphere of light ), but still.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I do like how DSB is so powerful; it's made the bounty carrier go from being harried prey to something like the actual boss of the map. To that end, they ought to increase the rewards now for people who steal the bounty and escape, like by assigning the same bounty target kill bonus to the act of killing the player carrying it. It'd be interesting if they further tweaked it so that it eventually expires even if unused. Maybe a time limit of several minutes after picking it up, or a very very slow decay of the usage time to the same effect. I don't know if this would encourage players to camp the exits even harder instead of actively attacking; I don't really want that, or for the bounty carriers to completely lose their newfound threat, but something to encourage them to get a move on to the exit instead of using their DSB to go hunting other players.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

2) Lantern it and move on. This is less useful if you want to move where it is, but effective if you just want to make sure it isn't a threat and move on without firing a shot.

The last time I tried this months ago, she burned long enough to make a racket and cause some damage with the swarm. Does fire kill Hives faster now?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The funny thing is, the more quiet you are the harder it is to catch and kill guys who are running + gunning.

If you're super stealthy, your easiest kills will be against hunters who are also trying to be very quiet, yet still making small amounts of noise killing zombies with melee and such.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So just gently caress it and go loud if I'm gonna run solo, is what I'm getting here.

And if I really need to take on a Hive and I want to do it with minimal noise I can just rush her and axe her a question.

Also thanks NerdyMcNerdNerd for the tips about the fuse, I wasn't sure what they were used for.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

AndyElusive posted:

So just gently caress it and go loud if I'm gonna run solo, is what I'm getting here.

And if I really need to take on a Hive and I want to do it with minimal noise I can just rush her and axe her a question.

Also thanks NerdyMcNerdNerd for the tips about the fuse, I wasn't sure what they were used for.

No no no, your advantage solo is that you can be extremely stealthy.

My point was that if you slip up (i.e. you trigger birds, you have to shoot a hive with a non-silenced weapon, you aggro dogs, etc) , just go for it and don't try to be stealthy again in the same camp. You've already "shown" to anyone who cares - so you might as well get the clue ASAP and be hard to keep up with if they're honing in on you.

You 100% should try to be stealthy and get the jump on people solo, it's how you're going to win all of your engagements.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Think of it this way:

Tier 1 Noise: I am shooting poo poo and sprinting. Everything is getting shot, blown up, stabbed, or run past. I can be heard throughout half the map.
  • Very loud, your position is given and you are a target
  • Hard to keep up with
  • Can grab clues quickly

Tier 2 Noise: I approach things by walking or sneaking. I used quiet weapons, such as the silenced nagant or melee to take things out who are in my way. I will light things like armored or hives on fire if they are guarding the clue. Nearby camps cannot hear me - but someone in this camp can.
  • Your position is unknown outside of this camp, will be heard in the general area inside the camp
  • Can be kept up with if stalked
  • Slower to grab clues
  • Can easily jump Tier 1 noise makers if nearby

Tier 3 Noise: I approach things by sneaking only. I go around monsters or wait for them to patrol past. I take my time in a camp and move cautiously over non-wood and non-water surfaces.
  • Won't be heard even inside the camp they are in
  • Very slow to grab clues, sometimes cannot without upgrading to Tier 2 noise
  • Can easily jump Tier 2 noise makers if nearby

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 20, 2018

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Sard posted:

The last time I tried this months ago, she burned long enough to make a racket and cause some damage with the swarm. Does fire kill Hives faster now?

She'll still scream and try to bug you, but you have to be fairly close for the little pests to get at you. It's situational, but still less noise than a gun shot. If someone is nearby, fair chance they hear you doing "stealth" kills anyways, but the screams don't carry as far as a gun shot.

re: DSB, the only time I ever walled someone with it, I knew they were there anyways because they were making a shitload of noise and loving with a door constantly. So I activated DSB, and as they approached the door again, I dropped it and emptied both barrels of a shotgun into the door.

I've actually solo'd groups that had DSB once or twice so I just don't see it as the boogieman some are making it out to be.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The funny thing is, the more quiet you are the harder it is to catch and kill guys who are running + gunning.

If you're super stealthy, your easiest kills will be against hunters who are also trying to be very quiet, yet still making small amounts of noise killing zombies with melee and such.

They could solve this very easily by making the NPCs more aggressive and more dangerous, more responsive to sound, etc. It would also create a much larger difference in the loud/stealth gameplay, conserving ammunition, etc. It would also give bounty-carriers an incentive to do more than run forever, because if you have to start shooting when you're out of stamina, knowing every NPC within 30 yards is going to notice, welp.

AndyElusive posted:

There are a couple of items in the game that can be used in tricky ways. You can use decoys to open doors, ring bells, detonate lanterns, etc. Flare guns,, like fusees, will also set armored on fire.

If you want to play with the idea of just going loud and fast around the map, you can do the machete ( or Caldwell ) and lever action combo.

If I tilt and start loving up, creating a lot of noise, I generally won't bother being stealthy again for a while because everyone knows I'm there and now the best option is to just get clear. Some spawns are also like this- any noise you create is less likely to get you killed than getting sandwiched between two groups at the start of the game, so gently caress it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I refunded but now I'm having refund regret. <sigh>

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

AndyElusive posted:

It was happening with the starter weapons my hunter came with, and I'm not very high level either. It was also happening to my partner.

But I played a couple of hunts just now and this didn't happen so I'm not sure if it was fixed in the last patch or what. If it happens again I'll report.

It's not a big, it's just how the gun loads. My roommate and I saw the same thing when we picked up a tubular mag rifle. Unless the bug is that a round isn't always chambered in which case boo, I like it as is.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So I'm a writer, and I got bit by a story in my noggin about Hunt, of all things. I love how the lore in this game is more smelt than felt, and leads to a lot of speculation and theorizing. If anyone is interested, I've finished what amounts to the first chapter of my fanfic creative exercise.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pIGsB-1_8qU1NbzqKdGcUQ1r9EQIMpvCJbhI3zB8LM/edit?usp=sharing

Hope people like it. Critique is welcome.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

E-Tank posted:

So I'm a writer, and I got bit by a story in my noggin about Hunt, of all things. I love how the lore in this game is more smelt than felt, and leads to a lot of speculation and theorizing. If anyone is interested, I've finished what amounts to the first chapter of my fanfic creative exercise.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pIGsB-1_8qU1NbzqKdGcUQ1r9EQIMpvCJbhI3zB8LM/edit?usp=sharing

Hope people like it. Critique is welcome.

:five:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Guys, am I holding this thing right?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Thinking that this game needs a machete launcher.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Man, picked this up not long ago, been running a pretty even split between randos and partners i know. Fun as hell either way (except when your rando partner is a moron who keeps running into grunts and dying).
Got my first Gauntlet Run today. We were just going to pick up the clue at the nearest camp to the spider we just killed for the cash, and that turned out to be where the butcher was. The fun part was then running 1/2 the map to extraction being hounded the whole way.
Also, unrelated, got my first "oneshotted with a perfectly cooked big bundle of dynamite by a rank 78 player".
There a specific discord for goons on this game?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Rysithusiku posted:

Man, picked this up not long ago, been running a pretty even split between randos and partners i know. Fun as hell either way (except when your rando partner is a moron who keeps running into grunts and dying).
Got my first Gauntlet Run today. We were just going to pick up the clue at the nearest camp to the spider we just killed for the cash, and that turned out to be where the butcher was. The fun part was then running 1/2 the map to extraction being hounded the whole way.
Also, unrelated, got my first "oneshotted with a perfectly cooked big bundle of dynamite by a rank 78 player".
There a specific discord for goons on this game?

yeah it's linked in the OP

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Take the dynamite as a compliment, that dude just spent a lot of money to take you out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I used to look at dynamite and think, "Wow, that's a lot of money for something you use once."

Then I started taking it on every single run. I rarely kill anyone outright with it, but if you catch someone off guard they're hosed. Good for breaching, too.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I do think it's too easy to sneak past stuff right now. I mean you can get within a few meters of crows and stuff. The hellhounds are the only mobs that have what feels like an acceptable agro radius.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Elendil004 posted:

I do think it's too easy to sneak past stuff right now. I mean you can get within a few meters of crows and stuff. The hellhounds are the only mobs that have what feels like an acceptable agro radius.

Eh, I disagree. To sneak into most camps without aggro or setting off crows requires a lot of time at the moment, if you want to keep up with the more aggressive hunters then you're going to need to take some things out to clear yourself a path. This is especially true on gauntlet runs. If you made the aggro radius much larger then you're going to force a meta shift to "balls out all the time" which wouldn't be nearly as interesting because everyone's position would be exposed regardless.

They also have a huge aggro radius when you're shooting at another hunter, which means you need to think before you open up. Nothing better than to watch a fire or bleed zombie club someone who is shooting at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Elendil004 posted:

Too much noise would speed things up and push towards a smash and grab.