Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
So for my 2-to-1 drive saga, I used Parted Magic to use ddrescue GUI on the larger drive, which was starting to fail a bit. Several days later, all copied.

What’s the best way to copy the other one? I can’t use a drive cloning type program since I don’t want to erase anything at this point. I just need a reliable copy EVERYTHING from A to B program that I can start and leave alone and it’ll take care of everything.

EDIT: or maybe I’m dumb. I can probably just use the built in copy/paste from the Linux of Parted Magic, right? Or as above, is there something a little more fire and forget, retry, etc?

crestfallen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Anyone have insight on the best software to use for utilizing an Android tablet as a Windows monitor? I found spacedesk last night, and it works well. I want to use this to show system monitoring and usage stats through Rainmeter. While setting this up, though, I noticed that spacedesk is taking about 15% of GPU utilization. That won't be acceptable, because the entire reason I'm setting this up is so I can watch this display while gaming. Plus it sucks that its window doesn't minimize to the taskbar.

Edit: OR, a way I can create a virtual display so that I can use VNC to show a desktop that only the VNC sees, and not my main monitor. This was possible in earlier versions of Win10, but the ability was removed. Now it seems the only way to do this is by plugging in a tweaked DVI adapter, or buying a small HDMI device.

Edit 2: I'm a dummy. There's absolutely no reason for me to run spacedesk at my tablet's native resolution of 2560x1600. When I lower it to 720p, GPU usage drops to 4%. I think I can live with that.

After work Monday I'm going to buy an Ikea adjustable arm lamp, and use my 3D printer to make a mount for the tablet so it can sit alongside my monitor.

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 22, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
On Windows 10, running on Ryzen 2700X and Radeon 270X, I have an occasional freeze where the picture on my monitors stop - first the main monitor, then the second. But the audio remains so it's not a complete freeze. It's been happening with Warframe fwiw.

Setup seems well ventilated so i can't be that, and with everything frozen and it being such a rare event, I can't inspect any metrics.

Anyone have any idea where I should look for a culprit?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
a few pages ago someone said nobody should use Adobe Reader/Acrobat for PDFs these days and I'm just wondering why

I have been using the same version of Acrobat XI for a pretty long time now and I have no idea about anything about PDFs other than Acrobat has done everything I have needed it to so far. just curious if I'm missing out on some real goodies with other apps

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

a few pages ago someone said nobody should use Adobe Reader/Acrobat for PDFs these days and I'm just wondering why

I have been using the same version of Acrobat XI for a pretty long time now and I have no idea about anything about PDFs other than Acrobat has done everything I have needed it to so far. just curious if I'm missing out on some real goodies with other apps

I don't think there are "goodies" really in the Acrobat replacements, rather the general advice I see is to use Sumatra which is trimmed down so it opens exponentially faster and is less likely to have some critical remote code execution vulnerability.
I keep Adobe Reader/Acrobat installed for when I need to work with a form fillable PDF, but 99% of the time I work with a PDF I'm just reading it and not interacting with it in any other way.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is there a good reason to use Sumatra instead of either Chrome or Edge?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a good reason to use Sumatra instead of either Chrome or Edge?

Unless I'm just not seeing it, the in-browser PDF viewers lack what I consider really basic functionality, like options for continuous scrolling through pages vs changing pages with each scrolling input.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
For what it’s worth, Chrome pioneered (specifically for PDF) sandboxing the viewer and a bunch of other security stuff. Adobe then worked with them to bring the same thing to Acrobat. Edge does it too.

So either of those is just fine.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Speak of pdf viewers, does anyone know if it’s possible to search a pdf in either windows or chrome for a specific word, not supersets. For example just ‘cycling’ not ‘recycling’.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

From a home standpoint Acrobat DC seems bloated but fine. I don't know of any specific reason (aside from the fact that the program has ballooned up with hundreds of features that the average user will never give a single gently caress about) to avoid Acrobat. It does what it does, and does it well enough.

Speaking from a corporate standpoint, Acrobat DC has been a loving nightmare for me at work. Their 'enhanced security' fucks up constantly and causes endless amounts of problems for our end users. The biggest problem is we use PDF files for our digital fax system, which of course uses a long-rear end name like 'Inbound_Fax_07222018104530_DrFeelsgood_04518.pdf'. Our inbound fax system routes the faxes to \\SERVER\Faxes\Incoming Faxes\Dr Feelsgood\' and when the full path and file name are together they're so long that Adobe throws a shitfit. Why does Adobe decide to give us hell because of a long file name or path? I don't know. It just does. So we turn off the enhanced security and about half of our issues right there disappear, although Adobe likes to complain via popups every so often that we're not secure.

Then there's the problem where many of our users use Thin Clients to connect to an RDP server, and DC likes to be a giant baby when enough people are connected and using it simultaneously on any one of our RDP servers. Most common problems it'll throw out are failing to print, or not allowing users to fill out forms. Both of which are incredibly important in a medical clinic, since a ton of the PDFs are prescription requests (Printed out, signed by the doctors, faxed back to pharmacy) or insurance authorization forms.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sri.Theo posted:

Speak of pdf viewers, does anyone know if it’s possible to search a pdf in either windows or chrome for a specific word, not supersets. For example just ‘cycling’ not ‘recycling’.

you could stick a space in front of it, like " cycling"

I wouldn't expect much more than that in Chrome, you have to twist Google's arm to stop it swapping your search terms for their goddamn antonyms. Hey, were you looking for literally the opposite of your search query??

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

khy posted:

From a home standpoint Acrobat DC seems bloated but fine. I don't know of any specific reason (aside from the fact that the program has ballooned up with hundreds of features that the average user will never give a single gently caress about) to avoid Acrobat. It does what it does, and does it well enough.

Speaking from a corporate standpoint, Acrobat DC has been a loving nightmare for me at work. Their 'enhanced security' fucks up constantly and causes endless amounts of problems for our end users. The biggest problem is we use PDF files for our digital fax system, which of course uses a long-rear end name like 'Inbound_Fax_07222018104530_DrFeelsgood_04518.pdf'. Our inbound fax system routes the faxes to \\SERVER\Faxes\Incoming Faxes\Dr Feelsgood\' and when the full path and file name are together they're so long that Adobe throws a shitfit. Why does Adobe decide to give us hell because of a long file name or path? I don't know. It just does. So we turn off the enhanced security and about half of our issues right there disappear, although Adobe likes to complain via popups every so often that we're not secure.

Then there's the problem where many of our users use Thin Clients to connect to an RDP server, and DC likes to be a giant baby when enough people are connected and using it simultaneously on any one of our RDP servers. Most common problems it'll throw out are failing to print, or not allowing users to fill out forms. Both of which are incredibly important in a medical clinic, since a ton of the PDFs are prescription requests (Printed out, signed by the doctors, faxed back to pharmacy) or insurance authorization forms.

See this is why there should be a super stripped-down version of Acrobat (or any PDF reader) that is solely used to look at and fill out PDFs maybe add tabs, with a little thing to insert signatures in the off chance it can't discover a signature field. Bonus points if it looks like it came out after 2001. Acrobat has like a billion things tied to it on the free version and the bulk of them are basically just links to buy the pro version. Preview on macs do great on PDFs in my opinion, and there's just not a good Windows alternative.

Edge is fine for looking at them but good luck doing literally anything else (or going through large, 200-page PDFs).

jokes fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 24, 2018

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Is there a decent option out there to add a bit of reverb to all of my PC audio output?

I want Spotify/Soundcloud (etc.) and pretty much any other sound to have some reverb on top of it. I like the sound of music in a huge room and find it less distracting while I work if it sounds that way.

Is DFX the only option? I don't want my audio "enhanced" or "super mega bass boosted" or whatever. Just a touch of reverb.

There's no option for this on my Realtek tab.

Please help all my music sound like a soundcheck.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Put your speakers in buckets!

Or your head if you're using headphones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Buy a reverb stomp box, don't forget to get a few quarter inch adapters off amazon.

And the wall adapter, unless you got a Scrooge McDuck sized vault of 9 volt batteries.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Buy a reverb stomp box, don't forget to get a few quarter inch adapters off amazon.

And the wall adapter, unless you got a Scrooge McDuck sized vault of 9 volt batteries.

This is actually a drat good idea, thank you.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

This is actually a drat good idea, thank you.

Make sure it has stereo input and output!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

InfiniteZero posted:

Is there a decent option out there to add a bit of reverb to all of my PC audio output?

I want Spotify/Soundcloud (etc.) and pretty much any other sound to have some reverb on top of it. I like the sound of music in a huge room and find it less distracting while I work if it sounds that way.

Is DFX the only option? I don't want my audio "enhanced" or "super mega bass boosted" or whatever. Just a touch of reverb.

There's no option for this on my Realtek tab.

Please help all my music sound like a soundcheck.

Virtual Audio Cable + software that can host real-time VST plugins + find good VST reverb that you like

but the stomp box idea is a lot easier and probably way more fun to play around with, if you don't care about tossing down a fair chunk of cash

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Alright, more questions on the drat Microsoft Account thing.

My grandparents do not want to enter a password to get into windows. They aren't on their PC often and have problems remembering passwords, so we don't have a password on the PC. It's not secure but whatever, I could never properly convince them of the necessity and if I put a password on they'll complain endlessly until it's removed. But since my grandfather is 91 I try not to argue.

The problem is, their PC is running slow and we've determined it's the HDD. I want to replace it with an SSD, and that means moving Windows 10 over to it. It's fine and dandy, no problems, but I need to tie it to a Microsoft account to ensure the license activates properly. But doing so will require that Microsoft account password to log in, right? And while I can replace that password with a PIN, I can't just remove the necessity of putting in a password to log in entirely can I?

So loving frustrated with Windows 10.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think you have to do a registry hack, but it's something that you can do. I set my folks' up like that.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows should activate just fine if you're just replacing the drive.

For auto-login, no registry hack is needed. Just open netplwiz.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Clone drive to SSD, done. Windows wont reactivate at all.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

khy posted:

Alright, more questions on the drat Microsoft Account thing.

My grandparents do not want to enter a password to get into windows. They aren't on their PC often and have problems remembering passwords, so we don't have a password on the PC. It's not secure but whatever, I could never properly convince them of the necessity and if I put a password on they'll complain endlessly until it's removed. But since my grandfather is 91 I try not to argue.

The problem is, their PC is running slow and we've determined it's the HDD. I want to replace it with an SSD, and that means moving Windows 10 over to it. It's fine and dandy, no problems, but I need to tie it to a Microsoft account to ensure the license activates properly. But doing so will require that Microsoft account password to log in, right? And while I can replace that password with a PIN, I can't just remove the necessity of putting in a password to log in entirely can I?

So loving frustrated with Windows 10.

You can activate Windows with a MS account, and then use a local account to sign in, which you can autologon with. I think you use the new settings app to change the account type, and netplwiz to set up the autologin.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

khy posted:

It's fine and dandy, no problems, but I need to tie it to a Microsoft account to ensure the license activates properly. But doing so will require that Microsoft account password to log in, right? And while I can replace that password with a PIN, I can't just remove the necessity of putting in a password to log in entirely can I?

1. Create a new local administrator account, using MMC
--- a. win+r run -> "lusrmgr.msc"
--- b. open the Users folder, then use menu Actions -> New User...
--- c. type name, password, uncheck must change password at next login and check password never expires, create
--- d. now from the list of list of users, right click the new one and select Properties
--- e. select Members Of tab
--- f. Add, type "Administrators", click Check Names and it will change to (PCName)\Administrators, click OK
--- g. OK

2. restart PC and log into that new account. tie it to a Microsoft account. do your SSD upgrade.

3. Disable the new account so your grandpa won't be confused
--- a. open user manager again
--- b. open Users, right click the dummy account, Properties
--- c. check Account is disabled

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

YOU 👋 DO 👋 NOT👋 NEED 👋 TO 👋 TIE 👋 THE 👋 ACCOUNT 👋 TO 👋 MICROSOFT 👋 TO 👋 DO 👋 A 👋 DRIVE 👋 SWAP

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, Bernie would have won.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I've been lugging around the same automatically generated mp3s since the late 90s (literally created dates range from 1996-2001). I figure the state of audio encoding has improved very much since then. I know the mass trend is toward lossless because storage is cheap and most everyone streams their audio. But I like the SD card I've passed from phone to phone and the idea of a medium big library that sounds nicer than 90s era mp3s is a dream.

Considering CDs are my source, is there a software package or setting I need to use to get CD quality in pretty small sizes? I'm completely ignorant of the progress in audio encoding for the last two decades. What kinds of size would a typical 3 minute song take?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Exact Audio Copy encoding MP3 at 192kbps is fine IMO, or whatever the LAME V0 setting is these days. Especially on earbuds piped from a phone. I also guarantee there are people foaming at the mouth at the very notion of what I am saying.

03 - What Do You Do For Money Honey - AC,DC - about 3.5 minutes, 5.56MB.

e: I think most free music streaming does 96kbps, so if that sounds just dandy to your ears, why not.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 28, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

doctorfrog posted:

Exact Audio Copy encoding MP3 at 192kbps is fine IMO, or whatever the LAME V0 setting is these days. Especially on earbuds piped from a phone. I also guarantee there are people foaming at the mouth at the very notion of what I am saying.

03 - What Do You Do For Money Honey - AC,DC - about 3.5 minutes, 5.56MB.

e: I think most free music streaming does 96kbps, so if that sounds just dandy to your ears, why not.

*foaming at mouth*

These services aren't streaming MP3 at 96 kbps, because that would sound terrible. If you're re-ripping, just create lossless FLAC files, keep them in your archive and re-encode them to your mobile needs if the result ends up being too large: Like 320 kbps MP3s, or 256 kbps AAC.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah, dude is right. If you're going to go to all the bother, reencode at FLAC, transcode when wanted. Frankly, I'm fine with my 192kbps, but if I were going to climb that dang hill again, I'd go FLAC too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lambert posted:

*foaming at mouth*

These services aren't streaming MP3 at 96 kbps, because that would sound terrible. If you're re-ripping, just create lossless FLAC files, keep them in your archive and re-encode them to your mobile needs if the result ends up being too large: Like 320 kbps MP3s, or 256 kbps AAC.
Spotify is by default set to 'Automatic' but their 'Normal' streaming quality on mobile is "Equivalent to approximately 96kbit/s." If you're on Android you can drop it down to as little as 24kbps.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008
Foobar2000 and Lame encoder http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php with -V5 setting is about 130 kbps and sounds great if you have to use mp3.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

Spotify is by default set to 'Automatic' but their 'Normal' streaming quality on mobile is "Equivalent to approximately 96kbit/s." If you're on Android you can drop it down to as little as 24kbps.

Yeah, but that's equivalent to 96 kbps Ogg Vorbis, not MP3. That's a huge difference.

Here's what they write on their website:

quote:

The desktop app’s standard quality is Ogg Vorbis 160kbit/s.
The web player’s standard quality is AAC 128kbit/s, and 256kbit/s for Premium.
Android
Low - Equivalent to approximately 24 kbit/s (HE-AACv2 format).
Normal – Equivalent to approximately 96kbit/s (Ogg Vorbis format).
High – Equivalent to approximately 160kbit/s (Ogg Vorbis format).
Very high – Equivalent to approximately 320kbit/s (Ogg Vorbis format).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 28, 2018

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
These have all been great. I get the impression I'd have better quality if I encoded to Ogg Vorbis at the same bitrate. If so, is Ogg pretty recognized in your standard android media players?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Why are they not using Opus now? Do they not have access to the raw files to re-encode to a format that doesn’t suck rear end?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I use, and have used, LAME -V0 encoding for a long time. I continue to do so, as I can guarantee compatibility on anything, old or new; and my hearing sure as poo poo isn't getting better as I get older.
I find it gives a perfect balance of space usage, quality and compatibility. That's just me, though; I get that's pretty old-school.

That said, I of course understand the idea of keeping lossless copies for archiving, and I'm glad people do it.
I even prefer to download FLAC files and then encode a -V0 MP3 from that, so I can be fairly sure it hasn't been tampered with before that point.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 28, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Double Punctuation posted:

Why are they not using Opus now? Do they not have access to the raw files to re-encode to a format that doesn’t suck rear end?

If you are putting music in a mobile device like Ape Agitator Opus has a big drawback: the decode performance chews a lot more CPU in comparison to other formats. Enough to have noticeable battery impact if you listen to music for a couple hours. I wouldn't pick that for mobile encoding unless the use case was to have a big library but not actually play music all the time.

For mobile devices I'd stick with MP3, AAC, or if you're ok going off into crazy codec land Musepack (which has the fastest decode performance of any high quality codec).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Klyith posted:

If you are putting music in a mobile device like Ape Agitator Opus has a big drawback: the decode performance chews a lot more CPU in comparison to other formats. Enough to have noticeable battery impact if you listen to music for a couple hours. I wouldn't pick that for mobile encoding unless the use case was to have a big library but not actually play music all the time.

For mobile devices I'd stick with MP3, AAC, or if you're ok going off into crazy codec land Musepack (which has the fastest decode performance of any high quality codec).

Okay, that makes sense. I assumed a codec designed with VoIP in mind would be better optimized for power consumption. Is it something that could be improved with better decoders or ASICs?

And yeah, if Opus isn’t a thing, MP3 or AAC-LC is probably best, especially since the patents on them expired. Preferably AAC-LC.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Okay, that makes sense. I assumed a codec designed with VoIP in mind would be better optimized for power consumption. Is it something that could be improved with better decoders or ASICs?

I'm not super-knowledgeable about Opus, as I personally stopped paying attention to codec development 5 years ago because it seemed like a solved problem as far as I was concerned. So other than the general story that a codec designed for very-low-bandwidth voice encoding turned out to be transparent for music at 96kbps (which is wack), I don't know what it needs for better decode performance.

But the general trend is more efficient codecs are more demanding on processor time, and VoIP is not an application that cares about CPU consumption as much as it cares about bandwidth. I do know that Opus does algorithmic high frequency reconstruction, which could be something that adds a bunch of extra overhead.

Modern ARM ships don't bother with an ASIC for media, they have a general purpose co-processor (Neon) that does SIMD instructions. So it's not something that is likely to be vastly improved in a future smartphone, other than the general march-of-progress fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

And yeah, if Opus isn’t a thing, MP3 or AAC-LC is probably best, especially since the patents on them expired. Preferably AAC-LC.

You're all pretty drat great in my book. Taking to heart building a PC hard drive archive of FLAC encodes so I might someday ditch my physical discs (although I'm so old I probably won't be comfortable fully cutting physical out of my life. Glacing at my large number of both VHS and DVDs I still have that I someday dream of encoding/ripping to archive). I'll look into AAC-LC I think and see if the 256kbps setting would give me a space size to support my narrow goals of an SD card library. Otherwise the workhorse mp3 will be it. It's kind of blowing my mind that mp3 really didn't need to evolve over all this time. Feels like everything else technological has but that.

Before I go dusting off old guides about encoding, is embedding lyrics in an mp3 or AAC a thing? I know Album art can be but it's been rolling around in my head that it would be a nice thing to do if there was a source you could draw from.