Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Skyscraper posted:

This is very common in sub movies. I'm going to guess K-19: The Widowmaker, which is a good movie even if I'm wrong, or Das Boot which is a 3+ hour submarine epic and is pretty much guaranteed to have that.

Thanks for the suggestions, only had K-19 to skim through, but didnt find it. BUT it's ok cause

is definitely the scene. I think I conflated the chef dude for the guy when I was remembering it, but him walking towards the pressure spray and clamping it is EXACTLY what I remember. Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
A few years ago, I caught part of a movie on Syfy, and every now and then, it crosses my mind, but I cannot figure out what movie it is. All I remember is that there were ghosts (maybe, might have been another monster) that had hosed up a city (I think it was European) and killed a ton of people. The main characters eventually find a survivor that learned you can trap these creatures in a Faraday Cage. I think the power in most of the city had been purposely knocked out by the creatures.

I seem to remember it being a decent movie, but I could be wrong.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Spectral or The Darkest Hour?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The Darkest Hour is it! I knew it wasn't Spectral, since I'm watching that right now (it's what reminded me of the movie this time). I had to scan parts of the synopsis to be sure, and it has details I remember now (like the aliens activating electrical devices, so they wear light bulbs as a warning system). Thank you.

And that was loving quick, too. By chance, do you know if it was any good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haven't seen it, but it sure sounds like it ain't so hot.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_darkest_hour

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Narrator: it wasn't good

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

Narrator: it wasn't good

More like oldtaste... ful?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's a movie I caught a scene from on television - the setting was some prison/work camp in the American south, pre-1950s I think. Some white gentleman arrives on car with his daughter and black grandchild on a car as some black people have been lined up, and the gentleman demands to know who the father was. The scene is tense, but the men end up re-enacting Spartacus, and the gentleman leaves in a huff as the prisoners collapse in laughter.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's a movie I caught a scene from on television - the setting was some prison/work camp in the American south, pre-1950s I think. Some white gentleman arrives on car with his daughter and black grandchild on a car as some black people have been lined up, and the gentleman demands to know who the father was. The scene is tense, but the men end up re-enacting Spartacus, and the gentleman leaves in a huff as the prisoners collapse in laughter.

Probably Life.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I saw this movie about a guy whose podcast ended because his cohosts quit because he's a chud, what was it called? It was just a couple years ago

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGav4rrwlO8

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yup, but didn't remember it being a comedy.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yup, but didn't remember it being a comedy.

For every funny moment in Life there is a bleak as hell scene to balance it out.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Vakal posted:

For every funny moment in Life there is a bleak as hell scene to balance it out.

Sounds about right.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Not a movie but a BBC radio drama, I guess. I don't particularly need to hear it but would like to know the name of it because its one of those things where you randomly catch five minutes of it years apart and it's the same five minutes. I figure it might be a well known or classic thing if it gets repeated enough for that to happen.

That five minutes was: A middle class British woman describing how the 70s were poo poo because all the wives were expected to go to key parties and like it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Not sure if this is completely fits with the thread, but I'm trying to place a music video I saw as a kid, would have been airing late 90s-early 2000s. Though it may well have been from before then. There was something about going through a painting or a doorway,and then towards the end the bit I remember best is a bunch of people eating lots of food and turning into animals, I believe it was pigs. I remember next to nothing about the actual music, I think the singer was a woman?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Angepain posted:

Not sure if this is completely fits with the thread, but I'm trying to place a music video I saw as a kid, would have been airing late 90s-early 2000s. Though it may well have been from before then. There was something about going through a painting or a doorway,and then towards the end the bit I remember best is a bunch of people eating lots of food and turning into animals, I believe it was pigs. I remember next to nothing about the actual music, I think the singer was a woman?

"Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty has a bunch of people eating and a baby that turns into a pig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

SkunkDuster posted:

"Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty has a bunch of people eating and a baby that turns into a pig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8

I don't think that's it, I'm afraid - I remembered it being a lot more twee.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Two movies, both late 80s or early 90s:

1) In a scene close to the end, a political candidate at a rally is threatened by a man with a gun. The candidate grabs a kid to use as a human shield, and the clip plays all over the news, ending his career, so he commits suicide.

2) Weird drag scene: a political figure who is clearly a man in drag somehow successfully passes and is embraced by an obnoxious community. Some kind of hacker releases stolen video of the man getting dressed, revealing his secret.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The Macaroni posted:

Two movies, both late 80s or early 90s:

1) In a scene close to the end, a political candidate at a rally is threatened by a man with a gun. The candidate grabs a kid to use as a human shield, and the clip plays all over the news, ending his career, so he commits suicide.

The Dead Zone! Based off a Stephen King novel, directed by David Cronenberg, and starring Cristopher Walken! It’s really good!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Macaroni posted:

2) Weird drag scene: a political figure who is clearly a man in drag somehow successfully passes and is embraced by an obnoxious community. Some kind of hacker releases stolen video of the man getting dressed, revealing his secret.

is that the one where Warren Beatty raps?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Angepain posted:

I don't think that's it, I'm afraid - I remembered it being a lot more twee.

You might have better luck posting your question in the "Help me identify a song megathread"
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2388112

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Wheat Loaf posted:

is that the one where Warren Beatty raps?
Pretty sure it's not Bullworth--I think it's older than that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Macaroni posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birdcage

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Definitely older than that, and also the politician "escapes" in The Birdcage without the secret being revealed.

I remember a little more: there's a scene where the guy in drag sings "Stand By Your Man" and everyone is cheering in some kind of stadium, and that's when the hacker sends the spy video feed to the broadcast.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Macaroni posted:

The Macaroni posted:

Definitely older than that, and also the politician "escapes" in The Birdcage without the secret being revealed.

I remember a little more: there's a scene where the guy in drag sings "Stand By Your Man" and everyone is cheering in some kind of stadium, and that's when the hacker sends the spy video feed to the broadcast.

Some googling led me to The American Way aka Riders of the Storm. The scene is question is around an hour and 19 minutes in. This movie looks bizarre as poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IByAfvl3270

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That's it! Thanks. As weird as I remember, with Dennis Hopper to boot.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a TV version of this thread? I'm searching for a UK TV drama (I think! Pretty sure it's not a film!) from the mid-2000s about a giant squid. I vividly remember it ripping apart a boat of some kind and eating one or more persons - a lot like in Jaws, but a squid instead of a shark. It's definitely not the 1996 miniseries The Beast because although I've never seen it, I'm pretty sure that's American, and it seems too old. Although weirdly in my mind I DO remember it having the word Beast in the title, but the 96 series just seems too old and not gritty enough. I could've sworn it was on ITV, but looking through lists of ITV dramas I can't find anything similar.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have I just misremembered it?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Akuma posted:

Is there a TV version of this thread? I'm searching for a UK TV drama (I think! Pretty sure it's not a film!) from the mid-2000s about a giant squid. I vividly remember it ripping apart a boat of some kind and eating one or more persons - a lot like in Jaws, but a squid instead of a shark. It's definitely not the 1996 miniseries The Beast because although I've never seen it, I'm pretty sure that's American, and it seems too old. Although weirdly in my mind I DO remember it having the word Beast in the title, but the 96 series just seems too old and not gritty enough. I could've sworn it was on ITV, but looking through lists of ITV dramas I can't find anything similar.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have I just misremembered it?

Deep Rising?

Looks Like A Camaro
Oct 26, 2007
Looking for an Italian comedy I saw on late night tv many years ago. Probably from the 70s or 80s , a good chunk of it was your standard road trip movie. The two main characters are a couple of southerners who migrate to the north looking for work. I'm pretty sure they end up in Milan. Anyways, there was this running joke where everywhere they went they run into mafiosi running all the rackets just like back home, they were the foremen at job sites, officials demanding bribes etc. They also had some hand gesture or secret handshake type thing they did to identify them as mafia guys, or maybe it could have been some facial feature like a wart or unibrow. I looked up all the movies tagged with "Milan" on imdb and none rang a bell.

Also trying to recall a tv movie (or possibly miniseries) made by the CBC about two brothers or step-brothers. At some point one brother quarrels with the other and murders them on the edge of a river or waterfall. They stab them in the chest a bunch of times and then throw them into the waters below. I was quite young at the time and that scene freaked me out quite a bit.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Not sure if this is the whole plot of the movie, or just a part of the film. Two soldiers (or Marines) have the job of delivering the death notices to families of fallen soldiers. One of them is experienced and the other is new at the job. The new guy has the right intentions but makes some mistakes and the veteran chews his rear end for it. It is not "We Were Soldiers".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SkunkDuster posted:

Not sure if this is the whole plot of the movie, or just a part of the film. Two soldiers (or Marines) have the job of delivering the death notices to families of fallen soldiers. One of them is experienced and the other is new at the job. The new guy has the right intentions but makes some mistakes and the veteran chews his rear end for it. It is not "We Were Soldiers".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Messenger_(2009_film) ?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That's it, thanks!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
A newer action/ultraviolence movie that's about a guy in an office who goes on a shooting rampage or something? I think it's reminiscent of Hardcore Henry but without the first person deal...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

French Canadian posted:

A newer action/ultraviolence movie that's about a guy in an office who goes on a shooting rampage or something? I think it's reminiscent of Hardcore Henry but without the first person deal...

Going to say Mayhem or possibly Belko Experiment

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Cross-posting from TVIV. Not a movie and I think UK-centric but you never know:

Been trying to remember/find the name of a kids programme I watched around the mid-80s, but am struggling, partly due to the lack of details I can recollect. It was on either Children's BBC or the ITV equivalent, and I remember it was one of my go-to shows for a while along with Mysterious Cities of Gold.

It was live action, and was about some kids who had an old bus or something similar in a workshop/garage type place and I think the overarching plot of the series was their efforts to get the thing working. There may have been something special about it, like it could fly or something, or it had some sentimental significance. I also remember a rousing "come on, let's get this poo poo done" scene, leading to progress and possibly accompanied by a song.

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Been trying to remember/find the name of a kids programme I watched around the mid-80s, but am struggling, partly due to the lack of details I can recollect. It was on either Children's BBC or the ITV equivalent, and I remember it was one of my go-to shows for a while along with Mysterious Cities of Gold.

It was live action, and was about some kids who had an old bus or something similar in a workshop/garage type place and I think the overarching plot of the series was their efforts to get the thing working. There may have been something special about it, like it could fly or something, or it had some sentimental significance. I also remember a rousing "come on, let's get this poo poo done" scene, leading to progress and possibly accompanied by a song.

Here Come The Double Deckers?

https://www.britishclassiccomedy.co.uk/here-come-the-double-deckers-1970

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Someone suggested that in the other thread - it ticks some of the boxes but I don't think it's the one. Reading some summaries it looks like the bus is their base but then they go on unrelated escapades, whereas in the one I'm thinking of the bus itself was something of a project to get it working. Also I think the bus was smaller than your classic London double decker.

It's also the wrong time period, but repeats could always explain that one.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5hMNnXgH34

This?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Here's one that I thought was the 1999 Mummy, but now that I've seen the Mummy that clearly isn't the case.

Egyptian Mummy style adventure story, it ends with the characters appearing back in the normal world after beating the bad guy. The implication seemed to be that the heroes traveled in time before the curse of the Mummy was unleashed in the first place, Jumanji style. They then visited and advised the people who discovered mummies and such in real life, implying that those discoveries were thanks to the heroes. Is this in another Mummy film that I misunderstood, or is this a different action film entirely?