Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Powershift posted:

I saved a freighter from pirates, and the little gek captain was all up ons and the freighter is mine now. basically jump around until you find a freighter under attack, kill the attackers(without shooting the ship) and you might be given the freighter.

That is waaay easier than I thought, thank you!

Can I still find derelict/crashed ships to upgrade to from Nav data?

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dammit, I left my freighter in an exchanged ship, came back, and my other ships won't spawn in on the freighter. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If there is a level S,A,B,C thruster efficiency upgrades and they all stack like the jetpack/sprint upgrades, you could probably get it to like 2% fuel per lunch

DaveKap posted:

Dammit, I left my freighter in an exchanged ship, came back, and my other ships won't spawn in on the freighter. :(

can you land on a planet and call one of them to you or are they gone?

e: once you have something crafted in your inventory, as long as you have the stuff to make it you can just hit X on it to craft more now, that makes building poo poo waaaaaaaaaaay quicker.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 25, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

If there is a level S,A,B,C thruster efficiency upgrades and they all stack like the jetpack/sprint upgrades, you could probably get it to like 2% fuel per lunch

can you land on a planet and call one of them to you or are they gone?

e: once you have something crafted in your inventory, as long as you have the stuff to make it you can just hit X on it to craft more now, that makes building poo poo waaaaaaaaaaay quicker.
... I don't know because my game crashed while building a fleet command room and after loading my save up, my 2 actually-owned ships (so the old one isn't gone) are... again... spawned in the same parking spot on the freighter. *sigh*
Edit: Okay, at least I can take off and not crash into my own freighter this time!

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Yesterday I got a distress signal that turned out to be a crashed ship that was wayyy better than my ship that needed to be repaired. I built up a base there to be able to go around for materials to repair it, started repairing it, and eventually logged off. Today I boot up the game and the ship is gone.

I don't like this game anymore.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

panda clue posted:

Yesterday I got a distress signal that turned out to be a crashed ship that was wayyy better than my ship that needed to be repaired. I built up a base there to be able to go around for materials to repair it, started repairing it, and eventually logged off. Today I boot up the game and the ship is gone.

I don't like this game anymore.
Did you add it to your collection or "buy" it before you logged off? If so, the ship will be waiting for you in your freighter when you get it. Until then, you can try to summon it and get a "is broken" message in return.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

DaveKap posted:

Did you add it to your collection or "buy" it before you logged off? If so, the ship will be waiting for you in your freighter when you get it. Until then, you can try to summon it and get a "is broken" message in return.

oh you are my hero, game saved. thanks. that even solves the problem of how i manage two ships until i get the freighter!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

panda clue posted:

oh you are my hero, game saved. thanks. that even solves the problem of how i manage two ships until i get the freighter!
It's fun going into this new universe and discovering so many interesting and different... game breaking bugs and hidden information that should have been explained!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
be careful with multiplayer, found two additional problems:

- If you start a new character and join a friends game, and that friend is not in the same system they started in, the intro missions bug out and become unable to complete due to the recipe for antimatter being on a planet in another system (lol). This is easily fixed by quitting to menu and starting a single player game, the mission will move to whatever system your character is in.

- Multiplayer is a hosted experience. Any progress you do on your character while in a multiplayer game will carry forward into your own singleplayer game. However, if you quit, and then rejoin, you will join BACK to the host players system, potentially losing hours of forward travelling progress if you had decided to split up considerably. This is an issue with multiplayer if you tried playing it like we did which is "singleplayer but we'll meet up sometimes".

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

abigserve posted:

- Multiplayer is a hosted experience. Any progress you do on your character while in a multiplayer game will carry forward into your own singleplayer game. However, if you quit, and then rejoin, you will join BACK to the host players system, potentially losing hours of forward travelling progress if you had decided to split up considerably. This is an issue with multiplayer if you tried playing it like we did which is "singleplayer but we'll meet up sometimes".

In my experience, you can get back to where you were originally using the teleporter in the station; it should have an entry for the station of the system you were last in before you joined another player's game, in addition to any bases you've built (even if said bases don't have a teleporter themselves).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Technology modules... I know of 2 ways of getting them. 1: Have an old character with obsolete stuff. 2: Break down upgrades you either got as a reward or bought via nanites.

Is there some other way to get technology modules?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Technology modules... I know of 2 ways of getting them. 1: Have an old character with obsolete stuff. 2: Break down upgrades you either got as a reward or bought via nanites.

Is there some other way to get technology modules?

I bought some from the trade network on a space station, though it seems not all of them have them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone else have the space station traders stop selling upgrades? All the traders are just selling things I already know and it's greyed out with tech already known.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How does the multiplayer work in next? If I connect to a friend's session, play for a while, then later play on my own, is it the same character or is everything stored on the friend's instance?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

abigserve posted:

be careful with multiplayer, found two additional problems:

- If you start a new character and join a friends game, and that friend is not in the same system they started in, the intro missions bug out and become unable to complete due to the recipe for antimatter being on a planet in another system (lol). This is easily fixed by quitting to menu and starting a single player game, the mission will move to whatever system your character is in.

Yikes, glad I'm sp.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Azhais posted:

How does the multiplayer work in next? If I connect to a friend's session, play for a while, then later play on my own, is it the same character or is everything stored on the friend's instance?
Same character. Read up a couple posts for the pitfalls of trying to co-op constantly. Basically, don't build a perma-base unless you're host.

That said, I am curious if building a base after joining a friend's game and building a portal means you can access your friend's system from your SP game. In which case, co-oping might not be that hard and could be a great way to jump all around the galaxy as needed.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I finally got a chance to play and I gotta say I’m pretty surprised how much has been changed. I mean it’s still definitely NMS, but just fresh enough to feel like almost a sequel. They may have stumbled out the door with their 1.0 release but I think they’ve put in some hard yards to get it where it is today and you really can’t judge it on what it used to be anymore.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

3 posted:

In my experience, you can get back to where you were originally using the teleporter in the station; it should have an entry for the station of the system you were last in before you joined another player's game, in addition to any bases you've built (even if said bases don't have a teleporter themselves).

drat I didn't even think to try this. I'll give that a shot later.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus Christ, the bug where sometimes your ship is too big when procgen'd that it'll shoot itself is STILL in the game. loving really fun when I need to defend myself and end up being the one that does the most damage to my own ship.

gently caress off with this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how do you find drop pods for exosuit upgrades, especially inventory space?

Burns
May 10, 2008

How do i deploy the refiner from my inventory?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Burns posted:

Z

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Burns posted:

They bank in your inventory if you pick them up; like above use your Z menu to wheel over to it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So are constant crashes a known problem on PS4?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Waffle House posted:

They bank in your inventory if you pick them up; like above use your Z menu to wheel over to it

Cool thanks. Also found a planet which hasnt tried to burn and maim me. Achievement unlocked.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Burns posted:

Cool thanks. Also found a planet which hasnt tried to burn and maim me. Achievement unlocked.

:monocle: I'm impressed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
will I like this if i bounced hard off of subnautica because christ that felt too much like minecraft

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

buglord posted:

will I like this if i bounced hard off of subnautica because christ that felt too much like minecraft

probably :(

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ciaphas posted:

probably :(

Ironically enough not until the update really

E: theres always creative mode, no limits

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

For anyone on PC, the most important mod is working with Next now.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eyud posted:

Downloading.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ran into an exotic ship, looked kinda weird.

Do all exotic ships look that different from the normal ones? A, B and C rank look mostly the same.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

gently caress yeah just shot down like 6 pirates and now I got myself a freighter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

toiletbrush posted:

The terrain manipulator is poo poo for spelunking because half the time it despawns the item you've tagged to find, even if you're careful to avoid it by a huge margin.

I believe it only despawns things like "humming egg", I haven't had it despawn a box. (PS4)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Where are mission board dudes now? Used to be they were off to the side on each space station, but that was back when there were only like three passengers in each.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Eyud posted:

Thank you!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

precision posted:

I believe it only despawns things like "humming egg", I haven't had it despawn a box. (PS4)

I'm not even sure it actually despawns the egg either, I've had the icon disappear but when I went another yard I popped into a cave full of humming eggs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eyud posted:

Neat, thanks. Wish the 21:9 mod worked too :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ciaphas posted:

how do you find drop pods for exosuit upgrades, especially inventory space?

Every Space Station has a guy next to the character customizer that does the suit inventory upgrades, so you can jump from online game to online game and jump to the Space Station in the system and you'll have access to another Inventory Upgrade to purchase. I have no clue why they didn't make it so you could just keep buying them all at a single kiosk but it's really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo you can buy inventory slots in the space stations?!?!?!

Well now I have something to do with the 4 million credits I made from digging up treasure