Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

"Likes" and "Favorites" are part of the scoring system this time. I wonder if you will need to buy twitter bot shikigami followers in order to boost your score in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
can you get ratioed if you're bad at the game

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Touhou Thread 6.5 - Like and Subscribe, my life depends on it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You can now buy a reimu who is also a robot

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-041047

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The idea of Sumirenko playing Granblue is so fitting and I loathe it.

The legendary 貧bot.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Sumireko is well and good but where's my Phantasmagoria, ZUN?
and where's iamp 2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Man I clicked the link hoping it was a RoboKy-styled robot person but no its just a gundam with an anime girl face, booooo

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I clicked the link hoping it was a RoboKy-styled robot person but no its just a gundam with an anime girl face, booooo

Just swap out the head with a gundam and you're in business.

https://twitter.com/potetew/status/1020178553193738240

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Can already tell I'm gonna hate this one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

it looks so pretty!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/mefomefomefo/status/1019908436014911488

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/YorunySTASH/status/1021139185632071680

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
How'd I never connect the dots before now that Yukari means violet and violet is on the border of the visible spectrum

(Which for bonus points, so is red, for reimu, but I don't think that's as strong or deliberate even if it works thematically)

Eliza
Feb 20, 2011

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

How'd I never connect the dots before now that Yukari means violet and violet is on the border of the visible spectrum

It goes further than that. Ran, her servant is indigo/blue, while Chen, her servant, is red.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm Chinese and while Violet/Indigo/whatever might be technically correct, Cheng is "Orange," Lan (Ran) is "Blue," and Zi (Yukari) is "Purple" in all modern parlance. Like when you're a kid and learning colors it's just red blue, yellow, orange, purple, green, etc. Also I knew Chen was Cheng from this Chinese fangame with voice acting, somehow it never occurred to me until now that Ran is just the Chinese word Lan. Like I knew the name was a color but never made that connection.

Chinese fangame with voice acting is a mega trip by the way. The characters who have names you can write in Kanji are just pronounced as the Chinese words, meaning I don't actually recognize the names. I discovered that Chinese weeaboos also insert Japanese honorifics into conversation. Flandre calls Remilia "Jie Jie Da Ren," where Jie Jie is how anyone refers to their older sister and Da Ren literally means adult and sounds loving stupid to me as an actual Chinese person but the term is the literal translation for nee-sama.

Also fun Chinese fact I'm not completely sure which is more common in Mandarin because I'm only really good with Shanghai dialect but I always refer to orange as "Ju Huang," where Ju is from Ju Zhi (orange the fruit) and Huang is "yellow" so it's "yellow like oranges." I'm pretty sure both Cheng and Ju Huang are commonly used terms though, much like the number 2 is "officially" Ni but if someone says Liang you knows that's just another word for 2.

E: I just realized calling Chen red is even funnier because Hong is red and there's a Touhou already named that.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 24, 2018

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

I discovered that Chinese weeaboos also insert Japanese honorifics into conversation. Flandre calls Remilia "Jie Jie Da Ren," where Jie Jie is how anyone refers to their older sister and Da Ren literally means adult and sounds loving stupid to me as an actual Chinese person but the term is the literal translation for nee-sama.
I'm glad it's not just English speakers who are idiots.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Ultima66 posted:

Also fun Chinese fact I'm not completely sure which is more common in Mandarin because I'm only really good with Shanghai dialect but I always refer to orange as "Ju Huang," where Ju is from Ju Zhi (orange the fruit) and Huang is "yellow" so it's "yellow like oranges." I'm pretty sure both Cheng and Ju Huang are commonly used terms though, much like the number 2 is "officially" Ni but if someone says Liang you knows that's just another word for 2.

It's probably regional but I would just say Ju or Cheng for orange, I've never heard Ju Huang.

Also yeah pronouncing Japanese names in Chinese always sounded weird to me. Calling Reimu Lingmeng or Marisa Muolisha is ehh.

And I don't know much about Japanese but I guess some of the characters aren't even written exactly the same. Not to mention what do you do about the names that aren't in Kanji? (I looked up a few and I guess you need to know the etymologies to work backwards? Like apparently Yamame is 山女 but I don't see how you'd know that if you're not fluent in Japanese.)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Hong Meiling was a weird case where the Japanese fanbase made her way more pleasant in the fanworks than the actual series. That's not usually how it goes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Redmark posted:

And I don't know much about Japanese but I guess some of the characters aren't even written exactly the same. Not to mention what do you do about the names that aren't in Kanji? (I looked up a few and I guess you need to know the etymologies to work backwards? Like apparently Yamame is 山女 but I don't see how you'd know that if you're not fluent in Japanese.)

There are multiple possible ways to write those names in kanji so basically they're just choosing one that they like the best.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Reading Japanese names can be a complete pain in the rear end with regular normal people names. Trying to read fictional character names where everyone is trying to be a smartass with their kanji choice is actively frustrating. Don't sweat it too hard, some of this junk would probably trip a native speaker (I'm not, to be clear, but some of it is wack)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Reading Japanese names can be a complete pain in the rear end with regular normal people names. Trying to read fictional character names where everyone is trying to be a smartass with their kanji choice is actively frustrating. Don't sweat it too hard, some of this junk would probably trip a native speaker (I'm not, to be clear, but some of it is wack)
utsuho

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

loving stupid horseshit

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I’ve watched video LPs of Japanese players mispronouncing the characters’ names, so yes.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

I discovered that Chinese weeaboos also insert Japanese honorifics into conversation. Flandre calls Remilia "Jie Jie Da Ren," where Jie Jie is how anyone refers to their older sister and Da Ren literally means adult and sounds loving stupid to me as an actual Chinese person but the term is the literal translation for nee-sama.

There's something comforting about knowing how seemlessly being a massive weeb crosses language barriers.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Redmark posted:

It's probably regional but I would just say Ju or Cheng for orange, I've never heard Ju Huang.

Also yeah pronouncing Japanese names in Chinese always sounded weird to me. Calling Reimu Lingmeng or Marisa Muolisha is ehh.

Actually Ju Huang might be purely a Shanghai dialect thing come to think of it. Muolisha is like a reasonable way to transliterate the English name Marissa in Chinese anyways so I'm not even sure it's a direct reading of the kanji? At least it doesn't seem that bad to me. I actually had no idea how Reimu was pronounced in Chinese though.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

All language is fake-rear end made-up bullshit

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sounds like something a language-user would say

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nook posted:

a cartoon duck posted:

sounds like something a language-user would say

:yikes:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
*sees japanese honorifics preserved in english translations* this must be the work of an enemy language user

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Nook posted:

thanks noam chomsky

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of which...

Visionary Fairies in Shrine 11( (Part 2)!

In which we find out why part 1 was titled that.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I can't believe they burned down the river.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nitori's a bad friend.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I'm glad Marisa is the fairies' mom

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Twintail Piece is extremely powerful.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

where she goes, the bowl goes, no exceptions.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
If you could ride around in a bowl all day, why would you ever get out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm just gonna leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koXc0KAS7FI&hd=1

(he turns into death metal gollum about halfway through)