Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
New patch which is pretty funny.

Of note

quote:

Morale has a scaling stress effect now, the more you over/undershoot a dupe's target morale, the bigger the stress effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can cause stress by overshooting morale? Uh...

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mierenneuker posted:

probably a low stress bonus, not "I'm being treated mysteriously well. Hmm..."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Food seems broken atm. Stress bonuses are not occuring.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Mierenneuker posted:

No, I don't believe so.

Lorini posted:

Food seems broken atm. Stress bonuses are not occuring.

It works for me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah works for me as well don't know what the person was speaking of. I did start a new colony though. Yeah discord is reporting high stress on old saves so that could be it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Lorini posted:

Yeah works for me as well don't know what the person was speaking of. I did start a new colony though. Yeah discord is reporting high stress on old saves so that could be it.

High stress on old saves is totally normal based on this latest patch. Missing morale requirements by even just a few points can cause lots of stress. That's why I loaded my save earlier today and immediately rushed a Great Hall.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I just started over, but that was kind of dumb as there'll be a final patch tomorrow where I will start over yet again. I like making new colonies so it's never really an issue.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

I hate it. If that's what I wanted, I'd just play Rimworld. There's plenty of mods for Rimworld to give it a ton of replayability apparently.

I meant it's fine in the context of Rimworld. But as I posted in their feedback thread, I don't think this is a good thing for them to be doing right now with ONI. It's not a direction they need to go and all the comparisons with Rimworld are not helping them. For hilarious imploding colonies, Rimworld can't be beat. ONI is supposed to be something you're intended to 'win' by juggling the various needs.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Well, the patch content sucks, but progression is starting to feel good. Now that not meeting morale requirements causes massive stress, you can't just crush your way through job ranks and max everything out by cycle 50. You need to meticulously plan your base's advancement and be OK with the fact that things will take a while.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Well, something interesting happened. I had a sewer pit that contained the polluted water output from toilets and sinks. This water had millions of food poisoning germs in it.

Somewhere around cycle 40 I built an algae maker and directed its output (polluted water with slimelung germ) into the same pit.

Well, it's now cycle 80, and the pit has almost no germs in it. It seems the slimelung "won", but is itself slowly dying since it can't survive in liquid.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I, on the other hand, approve of the changes and maintain optimism that they'll take feedback and adjust the test branch as needed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
The patch is out tomorrow. Not much time for changes.

In any case, we better get lasers and nuclear power and poo poo next patch, is all I'm sayin.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gonna need nuclear power to run my idiots' music players and game consoles.

As an IRL nuclear engineer my wishlist for the game is a nuclear reactor and a rebalance/expansion of everything related to cooling and heating. Make the liquid and gas coolers worth using, put in a liquid/liquid heat exchanger, air conditioning units as a counterpart to space heaters that cool one side and heat the other, etc..

I would love this game forever if the nuclear reactor was incredibly fuel efficient or needed a big fuel investment when built but never needs refueling, but doesn't generate electricity directly. Instead it puts out a large amount of heat when fully submerged in water and it's up to you to build a steam generator and cooling support equipment if you want electricity out of it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

Gonna need nuclear power to run my idiots' music players and game consoles.

As an IRL nuclear engineer my wishlist for the game is a nuclear reactor and a rebalance/expansion of everything related to cooling and heating. Make the liquid and gas coolers worth using, put in a liquid/liquid heat exchanger, air conditioning units as a counterpart to space heaters that cool one side and heat the other, etc..

I would love this game forever if the nuclear reactor was incredibly fuel efficient or needed a big fuel investment when built but never needs refueling, but doesn't generate electricity directly. Instead it puts out a large amount of heat when fully submerged in water and it's up to you to build a steam generator and cooling support equipment if you want electricity out of it.

THIS. The game is still in EA so really the whole thing is a test branch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Quality of Life chart

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
BattleMaster needs to learn to make video games so I can play them.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

So I'm guessing the recent decor is based off an average of what the dupe saw in the last cycle?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Loiku posted:

So I'm guessing the recent decor is based off an average of what the dupe saw in the last cycle?

seems so

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Biggest issue right now is that you need the food morale buffs in order to properly support the highest tier jobs, but the buffs last 1 day and dupes don't eat everyday.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The link between decor and QoL apparently isn't in the game yet. Decor is presently a stress reducer, not a QoL increaser. All information that I got is from [url=https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/93586-quality-of-life-modifiers/]this thread.[/url=https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/93586-quality-of-life-modifiers/url]. I should have mentioned that before posting the link, apologies.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Update is LIVE!

Mini transformer, wooo!

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 26, 2018

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
For creating a smaller circuit...?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I just picked this game up the other day. I'm having fun tooling around mining stuff and building outhouses, but I don't know what else I should be doing. Any good newbie tips?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

IDGI because the existing transformer was also 1000 watts :confused:

Is there a new wire voltage rating in between normal and heavi-watt now?

DreadLlama posted:

BattleMaster needs to learn to make video games so I can play them.

Hell, same, but for the moment I have to be satisfied with screaming what I want into the void and being disappointed when it doesn't happen.

If they don't add some of the stuff I want I hope they at least make it so you can mod buildable stuff like how you can currently alter the worldgen stuff.

edit: while we're at it let's have better power control stuff. I want logic outputs on generators (in addition to the existing inputs) that go true when the generator is operating so you can daisy chain them together in order of how you want your fuel spent, and I would like a better way of monitoring the current state of the power grid than just smart batteries, like a sensor that can activate when the load on the grid is above or below a certain level so generators can come online during times of higher use like when a refinery is working or your dumbshits are playing video games. you could rig things up to maximize fuel efficiency while minimizing reliance on batteries (and thus not losing energy to battery leakage)

I would spend hours just designing and optimizing power grids with options like that

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 26, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I just picked this game up the other day. I'm having fun tooling around mining stuff and building outhouses, but I don't know what else I should be doing. Any good newbie tips?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_W09ftcvI-Pt8nXtkYWc9JcnpmiLbyijqO8Tx05eOe8/edit

I wrote this.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

IDGI because the existing transformer was also 1000 watts :confused:

Is there a new wire voltage rating in between normal and heavi-watt now?

It's just a smaller version of the regular transformer, to save space. Same as the small pumps but this appears to be made of raw metal instead of plastic so it's a lot more useable than those.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gadzuko posted:

It's just a smaller version of the regular transformer, to save space. Same as the small pumps but this appears to be made of raw metal instead of plastic so it's a lot more useable than those.

The smaller pumps have smaller flowrates though, so the small transformer would have to have a lower power rating for its existence to make sense.

I can't tell from the in-game stats and codex entry, did the full size transformer get boosted to 2000 watts to match conductive wire?

edit: I'm an idiot, I found it but it's still 1000 watts so I don't know what the downside to small transformers are supposed to be.

I do like the 2x2 form factor though.

edit 2: the full transformer is now in the same research item as conductive wire so it would make sense...

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 26, 2018

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

BattleMaster posted:

The smaller pumps have smaller flowrates though, so the small transformer would have to have a lower power rating for its existence to make sense.

I can't tell from the in-game stats and codex entry, did the full size transformer get boosted to 2000 watts to match conductive wire?

edit: I'm an idiot, I found it but it's still 1000 watts so I don't know what the downside to small transformers are supposed to be.

I do like the 2x2 form factor though.

edit 2: the full transformer is now in the same research item as conductive wire so it would make sense...

That's what the patch notes pretty directly state, you start with the small one and then graduate to the larger. So it's a bit of a reversal from the big->tiny paradigm of everything. Really it makes a lot more sense for everything to follow that model.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gadzuko posted:

quote:

New Mini Power Transformer building has a throughput of 1KW. The pre-existing power transformer outputs 4KW and requires refined metal.
The old transformer output 1kw in theory but due to timing weirdness could be janked to output up to 4kw. They fixed this, but I'm guessing they recognised people would get real salty about a flat "nerf" so they made the fixed transformer smaller and turned the old transformer into a refined metal tier real 4kw transformer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Welp. Looks like one can't do prior update copies.. I had copied a CU upgrade of the game to a different directory, but it seems as if it redirects to the Steam ONI directory. I tested this by renaming the ONI exe in the steam directory, and got a 'file not found' error.

Apparently, the only way to play prior updates is to play in offline mode and copy the directory back over...

Why did they do it this way? Factorio and KSP both let one do game directory copies without problems.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Splicer posted:

The old transformer output 1kw in theory but due to timing weirdness could be janked to output up to 4kw. They fixed this, but I'm guessing they recognised people would get real salty about a flat "nerf" so they made the fixed transformer smaller and turned the old transformer into a refined metal tier real 4kw transformer.

Yeah, at first I had just read the short blurb on the steam news and didn't realize they had changed the regular transformer. Good change though, I always thought transformers were a bit overly large for their function and having a way to make a less fiddly high capacity circuit is nice.

Ambaire posted:

Welp. Looks like one can't do prior update copies.. I had copied a CU upgrade of the game to a different directory, but it seems as if it redirects to the Steam ONI directory. I tested this by renaming the ONI exe in the steam directory, and got a 'file not found' error.

Apparently, the only way to play prior updates is to play in offline mode and copy the directory back over...

Why did they do it this way? Factorio and KSP both let one do game directory copies without problems.

Steam has an optional DRM, I would suspect that Factorio and KSP don't use it as they are both available outside Steam but ONI is Steam-only so they may have it activated.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Dude you've already bought the game. Why not just :filez: a version you prefer? It's not like you haven't supported the developer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

DreadLlama posted:

Dude you've already bought the game. Why not just :filez: a version you prefer? It's not like you haven't supported the developer.

Well, I generally haven't :filez: anything... also malware/etc concerns, especially if it requires a drm crack/etc.

Good point, though. Maybe I'll investigate that if I can be arsed to. Easier just to complain and not play.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Splicer posted:

Huh, the 4000 watt rating doesn't seem reflected in my prepatch savegame.

edit: I assume that you need heavi-watt wire on the output of the transformer to use the 4000 watt rating without toasting wires, but then what is the point?

Or is the point that you just run the risk of burning wires during peak loads in excess of 1000/2000 watts?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 27, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
There was a lot of transformer chat in this thread around the patch time like two pages back. Had to do with registering power needs on alternating click ticks or something.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Another thought I had about the schedules...you can make the loud sleeper sleep on a different schedule so you don't have make them a special area to sleep in. I'm going to try it once I get a loud sleeper.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

enraged_camel posted:

Well, something interesting happened. I had a sewer pit that contained the polluted water output from toilets and sinks. This water had millions of food poisoning germs in it.

Somewhere around cycle 40 I built an algae maker and directed its output (polluted water with slimelung germ) into the same pit.

Well, it's now cycle 80, and the pit has almost no germs in it. It seems the slimelung "won", but is itself slowly dying since it can't survive in liquid.

Ah so it's not me. Yeah apparently Slimelung just feeds off of Food Poisoning which is...strange but useful.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Alkydere posted:

Ah so it's not me. Yeah apparently Slimelung just feeds off of Food Poisoning which is...strange but useful.

My current strategy of germ management is keeping all the polluted dirt from my outhouses in a storage container in my main water supply so it doesn't release polluted oxygen.

Haven't had any problems yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I kind of figured it was because there can only be one germ in a fluid at a time and the slimelung output from algae distillers is far higher than food poisoning output from dupe poo poo. So the slimelung wins out just because of engine limitations and then dies off because it can't live in water.