Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

DizzyBum posted:

I was looking for a tablet for streaming media and reading ebooks and comics/manga. I can sideload Google Play onto a Fire HD 10, right? Is it also possible to wipe the thing and install stock Android on it instead?

Yeah I know, "just get an iPad" but I've already got a lot of stuff tied to my Google account and I don't like Apple products. And I like being able to tinker with gadgets.

e: Actually, I forgot I asked this question in the thread like a year ago. Seems the answer was "yes you can" but has anything changed since 2017?

I just purchased a tablet and Loading the play store on the fire 10 is as easy as googling it and doing what it says. Took me 5 minutes and makes the tablet way better. I don't know about wiping the thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, Apple device theft had a significant drop after they made it so a device can't be used by anyone but the owner. KNOX does similar, as far as I'm aware, so even if data security is the main goal, device theft prevention is a useful side effect.

lol if you think tablet thieves know what Knox is

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No regrets with either of my Surface devices but sweet adorable jesus the accessories are just insanely expensive, it doesn't make sense. I use my original Pro as a secondary PC alongside my gaming rig and I am thinking of making it my Plex server but I want the dock for it so I can hard wire it to the network. Dont want to leave my main rig chugging all the time. But if you can even find one for that device they are loving $200 CAD in a lot of cases. I guess if I go with a generic USB dock its going to bottleneck the network bandwidth and kind of defeat the purpose wouldn't it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What all are you plugging into it? If it's just for the ethernet there's a $20 USB-to-Ethernet adapter from like Amazonbasics that shouldn't bottleneck you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You know what, that oughta do. I just found a deal on a type cover for it, was using bluetooth k&m anyway so it wont matter that I'm burning the single port on the adapter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

And if it's a problem just get a USB adapter that has multiple ports!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tablet chat: someone gave me a Samsung Galaxy View yesterday.

It's a fucken 19" tablet. I think I'll use it as a media player during standby time at work.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

jonathan posted:

It's a fucken 19" tablet. I think I'll use it as a media player during standby time at work.

You could do this with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bd_n4eA2iM

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

jonathan posted:

I had a Nabi BigTab (24") which was sort of cool for the intended purpose of kids games/drawing. Doing a Video hangout with someone's giant head was fun too.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

clockworx posted:

I had a Nabi BigTab (24") which was sort of cool for the intended purpose of kids games/drawing. Doing a Video hangout with someone's giant head was fun too.

That's not a tablet, that's a fuckin' AIO PC with the monitor mount removed. :argh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So did the 7" size segment disappear to competition from 6" Phablets and 9"-10" becoming a sorta standard size? My 2013 Nexus 7 is finally dying and I'd like to replace it with something of similar size.

I mainly use it for reading, watching Netflix, and running a massive library of RetroArch stuff paired with a bluetooth controller. Headphone jack is a must, microSD expansion is a definite bonus, a nice screen would be nice, and the cleanest possible Android skin would be great.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The MediaPad M5 8.4 may fit your needs, or a dirt cheap Fire tablet (though the screens are crap resolution).

Edit: Forgot the loving MediaPad removed the headphone jack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon has the 10" Fire for $50 off right now. And if you have prime you can split it into 5 payments making it super cheap to get.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Drone posted:

So did the 7" size segment disappear to competition from 6" Phablets and 9"-10" becoming a sorta standard size? My 2013 Nexus 7 is finally dying and I'd like to replace it with something of similar size.

I mainly use it for reading, watching Netflix, and running a massive library of RetroArch stuff paired with a bluetooth controller. Headphone jack is a must, microSD expansion is a definite bonus, a nice screen would be nice, and the cleanest possible Android skin would be great.

Samsung Tab S2? I got one after a recommendation here, and I like it. It's 8", but hits all your other points.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

Rhyno posted:

Amazon has the 10" Fire for $50 off right now. And if you have prime you can split it into 5 payments making it super cheap to get.

Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a great deal to me - Have a hellish flight this weekend so it worked out perfectly.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is the recommended tablet for android still the Samsung Tab still?

I've seen reviews that the Asus S3 is pretty good but am not sure. Working in the ballpark of ~$400 CAD.

It'll be for media, and Android Gaming (All of those Baldurs Gate and KOTOR downloads that are a pain to play on the phone).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have the asus and own KOTOR. Ill DL it and try it later when i get home if you want.

Build quality on asus is a solid 8/10

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

I have the asus and own KOTOR. Ill DL it and try it later when i get home if you want.

Build quality on asus is a solid 8/10

I did see some concerns on build quality, like the SD card slot was loose and the back had some give like it was empty space.

Any comments on that?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

m.hache posted:

I did see some concerns on build quality, like the SD card slot was loose and the back had some give like it was empty space.

Any comments on that?

I actually just noticed the back thing the other day for the first time (until recently i kept it in a case 100% of the time)

it is why i deducted 2 points actually. I did put an SD card in mine and havent had any issues with that, but I haven't futzed with it since day one of ownership back in november or so last year

E: downloading KOTOR right now

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

KOTOR played really smoothly and the controls were good (idk if you've played it for android otherwise)

My only gripe is that I found it a bit dark, even when maxing out the screen brightness and game brightness. I've never found that screen to be particularly dark before tbh either so I think its possibly that game.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the follow up.

It's odd that it has those weird build flex in the case.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Hey, so I'm looking to get some tablets for my research. The use case of these tablets is that we want to know where the device is pointed within a room and have a screen size preferably at least 10.1 inches, not be overly expensive, and have some ruggedness to them (they're going to be used a bunch by undergrads in experiments). The tablet can have pretty minimum memory (as we're just going to need to run Chrome/Firefox plus one or two small apps on the tablet).

To accomplish the pointing task, I was thinking to use the [deviceorientation](https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/DeviceOrientationEvent). To do this, I need the tablet to have the following three sensors:
  • Geomagnetic sensor / magnetometer
  • gyroscope / gyro sensor
  • Accelerometer
and that they be decently accurate. For reference, I've got a Samsung S8 which works decently well, while my LT G-Pad 7.0 has the necessary sensors, but they're of real poor quality and don't give me any sort of fidelity.

The Galaxy Tab A 10.1 doesn't fit our bill (is unfortunately the tablet my lab initially invested in for three of them).

and that these return in some amount of consistency with the above web events (I've set up a test at https://masterodin.github.io/device_test).

Any suggestions?

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 5, 2018

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Already posted on the laptop thread but I thought you guys might also have some thoughts on this.

Thinking about buying one of those ultra-affordable Chinese 2-in-1 convertible laptops. This one in particular caught my eye.

Teclast F5 (330$)
  • Intel Celeron N4100
  • 11.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen with stylus support
  • 8GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD
  • 1x OTG Micro-USB, 1x 3.1 USB-C and 1x Micro-HDMI ports
  • Bluetooth 4.2, MicroSD Slot
  • 10.79 x 7.4 x 0.47 inches, 2.383lbs
  • 5000mAh battery

Sure, it's not a great powerhouse, but I thought it could handle internet browsing, video watching and some light coding. Linux support would also be nice, though I'm not familiar on how well they support all this touchscreen and screen auto-rotate stuff these days.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I bet they are the OEM for Dell's 2 in 1 inspirons. It looks drat near the same.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
I'm looking for an Android tablet pretty much exclusively to read .pdf books and scientific papers on public transport. I don't care about camera or speakers, I care about battery life, screen quality and micro-SD slot. I want something I won't be too broken up about if it gets broken, it's intended as a supplement to an already owned Surface Pro (which I would, very much, be broken up about).

I'm currently stuck between a Samsung Tab A 10.5 (don't like the screen ratio) and an Asus ZenPad z500m (don't like the battery, or the outdated Android version).

Is there anything out there in roughly the same (sub £300) price range?

Cefte fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 18, 2018

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
I currently have a 2013 13" Macbook Air, which I typically use for browsing Facebook/YouTube/SA in bed, college work (Word docs, etc.) and occasionally recording phone interviews in Audacity. It's starting to show its age, and I've been thinking of selling it and moving over to something which can still give me the laptop feel with a physical keyboard but also work well for reading digital comics and eBooks.

Is the Surface Pro ideal for someone like me?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Doctor Albatross posted:

I currently have a 2013 13" Macbook Air, which I typically use for browsing Facebook/YouTube/SA in bed, college work (Word docs, etc.) and occasionally recording phone interviews in Audacity. It's starting to show its age, and I've been thinking of selling it and moving over to something which can still give me the laptop feel with a physical keyboard but also work well for reading digital comics and eBooks.

Is the Surface Pro ideal for someone like me?

Try the Surface Pro in a store before purchasing if keyboard feel is important to you, some people don't like how the type cover handles. Otherwise a convertible like the XPS 13 2-in-1 or similar may be good for you if you're looking for something that converts into a tablet for reading (though the XPS 2-in-1s also have funny keyboards since they're chasing the thinness).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally love the chiclet style keyboard on the type cover. It's truly unfortunate That it's as unpopular as it is because I want a backlit version of the type cover as a keyboard for all my computing.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

jokes posted:

I personally love the chiclet style keyboard on the type cover. It's truly unfortunate That it's as unpopular as it is because I want a backlit version of the type cover as a keyboard for all my computing.

When was the last time you used a type cover? My SP3 type cover was backlit.

I know the SP2 had a bluetooth adapter attachment for the type cover but I don't think they continued making those for later iterations. Otherwise maybe you're interested in the Microsoft Universal Foldable Keyboard which is based off the type cover, though I don't believe it's backlit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cefte posted:

I'm looking for an Android tablet pretty much exclusively to read .pdf books and scientific papers on public transport. I don't care about camera or speakers, I care about battery life, screen quality and micro-SD slot. I want something I won't be too broken up about if it gets broken, it's intended as a supplement to an already owned Surface Pro (which I would, very much, be broken up about).

I'm currently stuck between a Samsung Tab A 10.5 (don't like the screen ratio) and an Asus ZenPad z500m (don't like the battery, or the outdated Android version).

Is there anything out there in roughly the same (sub £300) price range?
I would suggest a Kindle Fire HD 10. Good screen quality, fine battery life, and cheap enough that you won't get broken up about it if it is lost/stolen/broken.

Not sure what the screen ratio is, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

isndl posted:

When was the last time you used a type cover? My SP3 type cover was backlit.

I know the SP2 had a bluetooth adapter attachment for the type cover but I don't think they continued making those for later iterations. Otherwise maybe you're interested in the Microsoft Universal Foldable Keyboard which is based off the type cover, though I don't believe it's backlit.

I used the Surface Pro 4 and its type cover for about a year. I got a "Microsoft designer keyboard" which is similar ish but is missing the backlight. I've tried many keyboards and basically none of them have media keys, backlighting, and those chiclet keys. Sad!

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

Thanatosian posted:

I would suggest a Kindle Fire HD 10. Good screen quality, fine battery life, and cheap enough that you won't get broken up about it if it is lost/stolen/broken.

Not sure what the screen ratio is, though.
Sadly it's a 16:10. I bit the bullet and increased my price range a bit, so went for a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, waiting for delivery. It's a pity that 16:10 is so prevalent these days.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
How is the overall fit and finish of the Fire HD 8’s? Looking to probably get one of the new models that are about to release.

Is it still possible to side load the google play store on those things without too much hassle? A lot of my library is in google play books.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
My Nexus 7 2013 finally died today, fell from a chair face first onto a concrete floor. What are my options for a 7" tablet today that runs android and doesn't pack on a ton of bloatware? I am already invested into the Play Store so I don't want to switch to a kindle and get locked into the Amazon store and iPads are also out of the question for the same reason. I think my main priority is finding something with a screen resolution greater than 1280 x 800. I would like 7 or 8" and under $200.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nobody who buys a fire uses the Kindle app store.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Nobody who buys a fire uses the Kindle app store.

Sideloading is ridiculously easy. The tablets are hella good for the price.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Do you think the Tab S2 is ~100 dollars better than the Fire 10? Looking for a comic/media/mild gaming tablet and I've got slight concerns about the Fire 10's screen. It's probably not a big deal but I'm a huge snob about screen quality.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 8, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you're a huge snob about screen quality definitely do not consider the Kindle(s).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

Do you think the Tab S2 is ~100 dollars better than the Fire 10? Looking for a comic/media/mild gaming tablet and I've got slight concerns about the Fire 10's screen. It's probably not a big deal but I'm a huge snob about screen quality.

I own an S2 and like it pretty well FWIW, it has a nice screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Anyone familiar with trouble shooting an Nvidia Shield K1? I can't get it to power on despite being charged.

Alternatively, what is a solid replacement for an Nvidia Shield K1?