Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

RisqueBarber posted:

Is there a beginner sous vide guide someone can endorse? I'm not even sure I know how to pronounce it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/sous-vide-101
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

Chefsteps has some good content too: https://www.chefsteps.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

RisqueBarber posted:

Is there a beginner sous vide guide someone can endorse? I'm not even sure I know how to pronounce it.

Basics are if you getting started:

1) An immersion cooker. Hell you can find this poo poo for $90 bucks (Anova on sale)

2) What you are cooking can you evacuate most of the air? Might involve a ziploc bag method, or a food saver.

That's basically it to get you going.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You don’t even need an immersion cooker. You can keep a small water bath at 129*F for a little while just with a thermometer and a kettle of boiling water, plus a (preferably insulating) container to serve as the bath. Pretty much you just add water until it’s at temperature, then keep adding more water as the temp drops. It’s not perfect, but it can get the job done.

Note: I’ve never done it this way, I just have a circulator lol. Pretty sure modernist at home even suggests this as an extremely low-tech option.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve done SV in a sink at a friend’s place. If you have a kettle and thermometer, you’re golden.

I do prefer the circ though!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

beer cooler sous vide is popular but it’s nice to just spend the extra bucks and get a real immersion circulator.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m gonna smoke some cheeses this afternoon. Has anybody itt ever tried smoking those balls of mozzarella that come in containers of water? If so, how’d it turn out?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

VERTiG0 posted:

These look awesome but they're somehow double the price in Canada as they are in the US. Instead I got a Little Griddle Kettle-Q for my Webers which kicks rear end.

That looks hella-tempting but my wife hates the wait for my keg to get up to inferno-temps.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m gonna smoke some cheeses this afternoon. Has anybody itt ever tried smoking those balls of mozzarella that come in containers of water? If so, how’d it turn out?

I have not but Google shows promising results.

Keep it as cool as possible and get some pics.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Moey posted:

I have not but Google shows promising results.

Keep it as cool as possible and get some pics.

Done and done.

EDIT: Do I really need to use an ice pan to smoke cheese if the pit temp is below 90°? Cuz my temp has been holding steady in the high 80s this entire time (I started a little more than an hour ago and I don’t think it’s hit 90° even once), and my fridge is all out of ice, and the ice maker takes awhile to make more, and I’m not really dressed to go to the store for ice right now, and :effort:.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 21, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can probably add a big pot of cold water to the cooking chamber to keep the temp down if necessary, I’d bet. Idk how the humidity affects the smoking, though

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I put a new propane barbecue together tonight (this 25k BTU model)and lit it up for supper. While waiting 15 minutes before using, as recommended in the user's guide, I noticed that the temperature was climbing very high- 650 degrees on the Medium setting.

When it came time to use the grill I put the temperature on its lowest setting, put some chicken on, and put the lid down. Within a few minutes the temperature had climbed to 650 again and I ruined my chicken, it was burned too badly.

Did I put this thing together wrong? Is it a bad grill?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If you smoke cheese too hot the cheese "sweats" out it's oil and the smoke adheres to that, which makes the end product taste like rancid rear end. Use the ice pan even if you don't think it's necessary.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cheese pics.

This is the setup I used. I found a gigantic Campbell’s soup can in the bulk section at my grocery store (wish I could remember the exact size but it was a while ago) that I emptied, removed the label from, and washed out. I cleaned out the grill, put the can in the middle, filled it about 3/4 to 7/8 of the way full of coals, lit those, and then piled as many wood chips on top of that as I could (the only chunks I had on hand were oak, which I figured was too strong, so I used peach chips).

This was my second time smoking cheese, and my first time using this sized can to hold the coals. The can I used on my first try was about half this size. It took me a couple of tries to get the coals to stay lit, and when I finally did I actually added a few more chips to the pile than shown here (because this was an experiment and I didn’t know how long the wood would last).

Then I assembled the rest of the Egg for cold-smoking and put the cheese on.

The cheeses I used were Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar, 2 bricks of Organic Valley Pepper Jack (I smoked 3 brands of pepper jack last time and this was the one that tasted the best), and some balls of BelGioioso mozzarella packed in water (which I pressed the water out of).

Every 2 hours I took everything apart to relight the coals and check the wood chips. Next time I might try to stretch this out to every 3 hours. Here’s what it looked like the first time before I reassembled everything.

At 6 hours, I pulled the cheeses off.

After this, I wiped off all the moisture and wrapped everything in wax paper. They’re sitting in the fridge now and will be ready to eat in a week.

I’m really happy at how this went. The pit held temperature between the high 80s and high 90s for the entire smoke and never broke 100°. I was really impressed with how well the bigger can performed; the pit temp wasn’t much higher than last time despite the can having more coals, and I didn’t need to add new coals at all.

All in all, good smoke, would cheese again.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Why the week wait?

(Never smoked cheese before)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MrUnderbridge posted:

Why the week wait?

(Never smoked cheese before)

The smoke flavor needs time to mellow out.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Going to do my first SV+smoked pork butt this weekend.

Is smoke > SV > smoke worth the additional effort over SV > smoke?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

dy. posted:

Going to do my first SV+smoked pork butt this weekend.

Is smoke > SV > smoke worth the additional effort over SV > smoke?

I usually just put some liquid smoke in the bag before the SV, and then finish on the smoker. The first smoke seems to get mostly washed away by the SV process, in my experience, so liquid is just as good.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Infinite Karma posted:

I usually just put some liquid smoke in the bag before the SV, and then finish on the smoker. The first smoke seems to get mostly washed away by the SV process, in my experience, so liquid is just as good.

This but don't go too heavy on the liquid smoke.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Cheese pics.

This is the setup I used. I found a gigantic Campbell’s soup can in the bulk section at my grocery store (wish I could remember the exact size but it was a while ago) that I emptied, removed the label from, and washed out. I cleaned out the grill, put the can in the middle, filled it about 3/4 to 7/8 of the way full of coals, lit those, and then piled as many wood chips on top of that as I could (the only chunks I had on hand were oak, which I figured was too strong, so I used peach chips).

This was my second time smoking cheese, and my first time using this sized can to hold the coals. The can I used on my first try was about half this size. It took me a couple of tries to get the coals to stay lit, and when I finally did I actually added a few more chips to the pile than shown here (because this was an experiment and I didn’t know how long the wood would last).

Then I assembled the rest of the Egg for cold-smoking and put the cheese on.

The cheeses I used were Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, Tillamook Extra Sharp White Cheddar, 2 bricks of Organic Valley Pepper Jack (I smoked 3 brands of pepper jack last time and this was the one that tasted the best), and some balls of BelGioioso mozzarella packed in water (which I pressed the water out of).

Every 2 hours I took everything apart to relight the coals and check the wood chips. Next time I might try to stretch this out to every 3 hours. Here’s what it looked like the first time before I reassembled everything.

At 6 hours, I pulled the cheeses off.

After this, I wiped off all the moisture and wrapped everything in wax paper. They’re sitting in the fridge now and will be ready to eat in a week.

I’m really happy at how this went. The pit held temperature between the high 80s and high 90s for the entire smoke and never broke 100°. I was really impressed with how well the bigger can performed; the pit temp wasn’t much higher than last time despite the can having more coals, and I didn’t need to add new coals at all.

All in all, good smoke, would cheese again.

Thanks for this. I may never do it, but now I know how if I want to.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Good job. I want to get around to doing this at some point.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Doing a brisket on the Weber for the first time. I've made them in the oven but first time on a grill. I made a ring of charcoal around the perimeter and lit one end, we'll see how it goes. Temp is a steady 250F and I have hickory chips smoldering for smoke.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Even after 3 good cooks on my weber kettle I somehow don't feel like a brisket I made on it could live up to really good bbq brisket. This is dumb and weird but w/e I think I've just got bad brisket PTSD from never learning the lesson of "Always get pulled pork instead of brisket at bbq places of totally unknown quality"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Gwaihir posted:

Even after 3 good cooks on my weber kettle I somehow don't feel like a brisket I made on it could live up to really good bbq brisket. This is dumb and weird but w/e I think I've just got bad brisket PTSD from never learning the lesson of "Always get pulled pork instead of brisket at bbq places of totally unknown quality"

Don't beat yourself up.

Sometimes you just end up with a tough pig/cow.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

When you guys smoke pork shoulder for pulled pork, do you baste with sauce or anything during the smoke?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

10 Beers posted:

When you guys smoke pork shoulder for pulled pork, do you baste with sauce or anything during the smoke?

I usually baste my taste buds with a few cans of beer.

But seriously, no I don't.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll sometimes spray the shoulder with some apple juice or cider randomly throughout the smoke, that's about it.

Edit: I also made some "finishing sauce" very similar to this. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.49892/

Moey fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 24, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I did get one of those Smoke thermometers on sale from Thermoworks, and they do work great.

Fish, and more ribs from this weekend:

RIBSS. This batch was way way better than the first one I did. I don't know if I just had more well marbled ribs, or did a better job keeping the temp even with the thermometer (Last time I was just sticking my thermapen under the lid every once in a while), but they came out just perfectly pull apart finger tender. I pulled them at 205 and then foil/coolered for an hour or so since they got done a little faster than I thought.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 25, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
To be honest, I don't have much confidence in my brisket skills and only bought it because it was super cheap which probably means it'll be tougher than old work boots.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gwaihir posted:

I did get one of those Smoke thermometers on sale from Thermoworks, and they do work great.

Fish, and more ribs from this weekend:

I’ve been wanting to do salmon for awhile. There’s a neat looking recipe on the Big Green Egg website I’d like to try.

I hope you didn’t forget the most important step: Petting those good dogs. :3:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Salmon thoughts, I let this piece cure for 8 hours, which was probably a bit too long for 1.5 pounds of fish. It was a little salty to eat solo, although perfectly fine (OK more than fine, it was really dang tasty) and good eaten with other things on a sandwich, toast, etc.
I cooked it to 140 which I also think is too high. I'd probably pull it like 10 degrees earlier.

Bonus dogge pic:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Moey posted:

I'll sometimes spray the shoulder with some apple juice or cider randomly throughout the smoke, that's about it.

Edit: I also made some "finishing sauce" very similar to this. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/finishing-sauce-for-pulled-pork.49892/

I also do this and make a different kind of vinegar-heavy sauce. Last time it had ACV, orange juice and a shitload of cayenne.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just serve it with a basic dry rub and plonk down a bottle of BBQ sauce and tell people if they think it needs more flavour mix in a bit of sauce.

After you've mixed the bark in well enough, there shouldn't be a need for hyper flavoured stuff to confuse the taste. But if people need sauce, it's right there.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

jonathan posted:

I just serve it with a basic dry rub and plonk down a bottle of BBQ sauce and tell people if they think it needs more flavour mix in a bit of sauce.

After you've mixed the bark in well enough, there shouldn't be a need for hyper flavoured stuff to confuse the taste. But if people need sauce, it's right there.

I need a higher chili to meat ratio than you.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Brisket on the Weber was fantastic. 7 hours on pecan & hickory smoke, 4 more wrapped in foil, then when it hit 200F I put it in a cooler for a few hours to rest. It was delicious, moist, smoky.

VVVVV thanks, I'm new to smoking things and that makes me feel good.

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 26, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
drat good looking bark my dude

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I need a higher chili to meat ratio than you.

Oh I just meant as pure pulled pork or served on a sandwich. If you're using it as the meat for chilli then go wild. It should stand out from the already flavourful chilli.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

wormil posted:

Brisket on the Weber was fantastic. 7 hours on pecan & hickory smoke, 4 more wrapped in foil, then when it hit 200F I put it in a cooler for a few hours to rest. It was delicious, moist, smoky.

Well played. I've started putting my pork butt in a cooler, letting it rest from 203f to 140f, and I think it's made a huge difference in taste.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

jonathan posted:

Oh I just meant as pure pulled pork or served on a sandwich. If you're using it as the meat for chilli then go wild. It should stand out from the already flavourful chilli.

No, chilis as in the spicy fruit I put in most of my food.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

wormil posted:

That looks really good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Looking for a bit of advice on timing, as I haven't smoked anything in over a year. I have a WSM 22.5" and will be using Kingsford briquettes. My standard practice is to use the "Minion method" of lighting about 20 briquettes and then putting them on a full ring of unlit briquettes, getting up to temp, then holding steady at 225-250. I have two 6.75 pound butts.

Here's the complication: I want to serve pulled pork to guests around 5 PM on Saturday. I'm waking up around 4:30 AM on Saturday, leaving the house around 5:30 AM, and won't be back until around 9:30 AM. My wife will be home and she can make sure that temps don't get wildly out of whack, but she's never run the smoker before. Do I try to get the cook done in 10 hours (starting at 5:00 AM), or do I put them on the night before and aim for a ~13 hour cook, then keep wrapped in a cooler until later in the day?