Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/JonBolds/status/1021817934363197441?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The mystery is solved.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

disappointed that my dreams of a terrible planescape moba that dies within 3 months were dashed so soon

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

drrockso20 posted:

Now I'm sad that those skins will only be for that specific team cause those look great

Good news! Those skins are also availabile for you! You get tokens for watching OWL games on a Twitch ACCOUNT that's linked to your Battle.Net account and can spend them on team specific skins. You can also buy tokens with real money. Neither the tokens or these team specific skins are awarded from loot boxes.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

fool_of_sound posted:

I dunno if there are any charismatic 5e live play streamers, but supporting a few of them and getting them to run new adventure paths and stuff might be a valid investment.

They did. Dragon Friends and some others played through ToA (or a modified version of it) on live stream and it was awesome (even if it did become a better substitute for me than actually playing RPGs..)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MTG Arena as an Esport is probably almost as risky since Hearthstone has a stranglehold and there's the Dota Cardgame and the Elder Scrolls Cardgame coming soon (and then there's Gwent lol)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the elder scrolls card game has been out for awhile

not that i'd blame anyone for not knowing that

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

competitive 4e, but no combat, each match is a skill challenge that determines the outcome of an in-game esports match

paging ferrinus to come post the rules he wrote for the in-universe starcraft-ish game the mage academy students play to practice spells

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Countblanc posted:

paging ferrinus

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1021899692588773377

rope kid win

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Anyone confused by that list of contents should be aware that ropekid's major RPG design influences are Ars Magica, and Burning Wheel, with a little bit of Gumshoe.
He feels little reason to make the tabletop game for PoE actually match the computer game at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ars Magica and Burning Wheel? does he feel a reason to make the tabletop game playable?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

...there’s a PoE tabletop game?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

...there’s a PoE tabletop game?

Yes. It was one of the kickstarter add-ons, and you can still get it by buying the Deluxe or "Obsidian" editions of the game:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is it any good?

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Andrast posted:

Is it any good?

My brief skim of the first alpha document gave me the impression that it was a weird mix of 4E and Burning Wheel. I dunno if it has been updated, but there didn't actually seem to be enough rules to play at that point—it was missing rules for how to attack, or make skill rolls or something.

Edit: it did seem like an interesting start.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ars Magica and Burning Wheel? does he feel a reason to make the tabletop game playable?

Just to confirm my statement btw to make sure I remembered right:
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/990491942285819904

JSawyer's been in an Ars Magica campaign for literal years and loves classless stuff so that tells you about his style of TTRPG I think.

Also he has a good as heck post about why balance is important in single-player RPGs that also applies nicely to regular traditional RPGs too. https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/161302725596/balance-in-single-player-crpgs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

Also he has a good as heck post about why balance is important in single-player RPGs that also applies nicely to regular traditional RPGs too. https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/161302725596/balance-in-single-player-crpgs

I was being a little sarcastic, but yeah, this is a good-rear end post, wow

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Ars Magica but playable" sounds like a pretty compelling pitch to me

it's a huge jump thematically but I think something in the vein of the BITD downtime system would work very well there

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Honestly, this sounds pretty great.

I hope it ends up on DTRPG for people who don't want to get a deluxe edition of a digital game.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Anyone played tales from the loop?
From a few pages back but:

We played some this past winter. It seems like a fork of PbtA with an awesome premise, but slightly less good system math.

Our GM wasn't great about enforcing the game's specific scene structure, so I can't comment too much on that. It's supposed to interweave plot/weird scenes and everyday life stuff, which I think if done right would do a better job of contrasting how weird things can get.

I never sat down and worked out exactly how the math pans out, but at the very least it seems needlessly more complex than PbtA for what seems to be a very similar aim.

On the other hand, it ended up producing some of the most enjoyable roleplay I've had in a while (not that it has much competition -- the only other thing I've been a player in recently was 5e). The characters in the party all had stuff going on in their home life that was actually relevant at the table.

Plus we all ended up finding and fixing a bunch of hoverscooters.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ImpactVector posted:

From a few pages back but:

We played some this past winter. It seems like a fork of PbtA with an awesome premise, but slightly less good system math.

Our GM wasn't great about enforcing the game's specific scene structure, so I can't comment too much on that. It's supposed to interweave plot/weird scenes and everyday life stuff, which I think if done right would do a better job of contrasting how weird things can get.

I never sat down and worked out exactly how the math pans out, but at the very least it seems needlessly more complex than PbtA for what seems to be a very similar aim.

On the other hand, it ended up producing some of the most enjoyable roleplay I've had in a while (not that it has much competition -- the only other thing I've been a player in recently was 5e). The characters in the party all had stuff going on in their home life that was actually relevant at the table.

Plus we all ended up finding and fixing a bunch of hoverscooters.
Cheers. Anything specifically screwy that happened due to weird math or did it just come across as overly complicated for the end results?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

Cheers. Anything specifically screwy that happened due to weird math or did it just come across as overly complicated for the end results?
I think the main thing is we we're getting into kind of an arms race with the GM, where we always made sure we had enough resources to succeed at our important rolls because you have control over the consequences if you push your rolls, but don't when you fail. And especially when going up against the session's Trouble, succeeding as fast as possible is the best way to make sure you don't run out of gas.

So over time I think difficulties kind of ramped up for normal stuff. We probably also just weren't making enough rolls in a session.

We ended up blowing a few important (anti-?)climactic rolls out of the water that kind of surprised him, even with inflated difficulties.

Plus I think we were doing it wrong for the first few sessions, or we thought we were doing it wrong or something. It's been a while.

That's all in contrast to PbtA where the most common result is that you get most of what you want but not all, and usually have some influence over the part you don't get.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I was thinking about how PBtA sucks at traditional dungeon crawl puzzles/riddles/traps, and it got me wondering: are there any systems that are particularly good at portraying puzzles?

I think puzzles are sort of contrary to the notion of roleplaying in-character, but maybe some designer is smarter than me.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Are Magica is perfectly playable as long as you don't make the mistake for thinking every expanded subsystem in every splat book is mandatory. They exist to make the part of the game you're interested in (trade, crafting, estate management, war, sea trade) deeper and more interesting. The big thing to remember is that Ars isn't really an adventuring game in the sense of most other games. It has some of that, but its not the central draw for most characters. The draw is kinda MMO-ish: character and covenant improvement, with politics thrown in to a greater or lesser extent.

It's a highly crunchy game, but most of the systems are well designed and it achieves it's goals as a system.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was thinking about how PBtA sucks at traditional dungeon crawl puzzles/riddles/traps, and it got me wondering: are there any systems that are particularly good at portraying puzzles?

I think puzzles are sort of contrary to the notion of roleplaying in-character, but maybe some designer is smarter than me.

I've always been of the mind that, if you are running a dungeon crawl, the players are going to be ok with some level of gamification, and puzzles are fine, but let them skill check out of it for their character to solve it.

However, I'm also the guy that hands his players coded messages that they can break or not at their own pace so I'm definitely more on the "D&D as ARG" side of the field.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Puzzles are really dangerous. They're bad for pacing, people feel dumb if they can't solve them, they're often mechanically separate from the actual game your playing, and it's very difficult if not impossible to prevent one person from doing all the work, coming up with the solution, and leaving everyone else disengaged (or worse, frustrated that they did their best for nothing because someone else got there first.)

Each of those problems is probably solvable if you're clever about it:

- Design puzzles to be solved between sessions with an open-ended timeline, instead of requiring them to be solved to advance the plot.
- Closely related to the above, make solving them something that unlocks an optional extra bonus.
- If you can't find a way to make the puzzle about the mechanics of the game, consider forgetting that entirely and tying them to the narrative instead.
- If you do present one puzzle for the whole group, try to give it several distinct pieces, and reward everyone no matter who solves it.
- On the other hand, you could give each player their own puzzle -- but in this case you might want to have an alternative way to get the reward for players who hate puzzles.

But, obviously, that's a ton of work, and it still involves having an extremely good grasp of each of your player's preferences -- and it just minimizes the pitfalls, it doesn't eliminate them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My puzzle advice is "know your group". If you know they like puzzles then you can include puzzles and it'll be fine because even if you disrupt pacing, you're doing so with something they like. If you know they don't, then don't

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Just give them Tower of Hanoi puzzles of ever increasing size

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Andrast posted:

Just give them Tower of Hanoi puzzles of ever increasing size

Bioware president: You are hired

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For what it's worth, the puzzles I've most enjoyed as a player are what I think of as Myst-style puzzles--you're presented with a device where it's not obvious how to operate it or what the results of manipulating it are, and you need to accomplish some specific task using it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

For what it's worth, the puzzles I've most enjoyed as a player are what I think of as Myst-style puzzles--you're presented with a device where it's not obvious how to operate it or what the results of manipulating it are, and you need to accomplish some specific task using it.

These and ciphers alzo are pretty good for immersion, though I agree, puzzle content should generally be optional worldbuilding stuff.

OR

Part of a combat.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah puzzles in RPGs are much better when you can take advantage of characters experimenting with them IC, as opposed to just sitting down at the table and working out the solution on paper. This also allows the PCs to bypass them using good ideas, other resources, and brute force if required. I also like broken things and puzzles that aren't working correctly - that way what the players can do is try and understand what the system they're looking at was supposed to do, and then fix or bypass it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Personally, the thing I find most important when you run a game with a puzzle in it (in addition to what everyone else has said ; I don't disagree at all I just think this is even more important), is that you should come up with a solution, preferably, like, 3 solutions, and then if the players come up with a different solution* loving fine just go with it as long as it's not stupid/insane/game-breaking.

Like if they try to unlock the Secret Gate of Amoun Kadath that requires the Five Ancient Rings of Frogthor by sticking their dicks in it instead, sure, that's dumb, no, stop, but if their idea is anything reasonably cogent just go with it. Yeah, that was the solution all along*. Puzzles are supposed to be fun and I think Schroedinger's rubix-cat puzzles I make with my friends at the table are just as good as some brain tickler that takes 45 minutes of game time.

*This is honestly also how I make adventures/encounters/whatever. I like to make sure I've sat down and thought up at least a couple of different ways the players could succeed at any given task, and then if they do other stuff I didn't expect I adapt to it. I want to have enough stuff that there are some seeds to solve any given problem in a variety of ways, but gently caress if I'm gonna be prescriptive about it.

**I know that idea is a bit contentious and I acknowledge I'm hugging that fine line pretty closely. In the game, I go with it and say that was always what was supposed to happen, but if my players ask me I'm happy to explain that I had a different solution in mind, but I liked their idea better in play because it was loving cool.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

If solving the puzzle is supposed to unlock a foot thick solid granite door blocking the way, there's a reason that there were rules for digging through rock.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Since puzzles are a task you can outright fail to accomplish, you should treat it like any other part of the game that you can fail to accomplish: it probably shouldn't be a barrier to progressing the game. Consider it more like a clue in an investigation: if the clue is necessary you should just give it to the players, rather than giving them an opportunity to fail. Analogously, since it's possible to fail a riddle, it shouldn't be necessary to progress.

One solution is to only put puzzles in front of "optional" parts of our dungeon. Another would be to make the puzzle one of multiple ways to progress. A third is to have someone outright give the players the solution at some later point, if they don't figure it out. Which sounds a bit silly at the face of it but it's one of the better pieces of advice for how to handle investigations in GURPS: Mysteries; if you want the players to find a clue in a dead person's car, first have them find recipts for gas, and if they don't think to search the car have someone call them to say it's parked in evidence lockup if they want to have a look, and finally have an NPC search the car and tell them what the clue is. With a puzzle, first present it, then give the players a clue, and finally give them the solution (or have something bypass the puzzle, like copious amounts of explosives).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
When I run a game, I prefer to make my traps like this oglaf strip. (this one is SFW but I wouldn't venture outside it)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Personally, the thing I find most important when you run a game with a puzzle in it (in addition to what everyone else has said ; I don't disagree at all I just think this is even more important), is that you should come up with a solution, preferably, like, 3 solutions, and then if the players come up with a different solution* loving fine just go with it as long as it's not stupid/insane/game-breaking.

I usually come up with zero solutions, so that I don't get attached to the one true answer and accept whatever they come up with. In that sense puzzles are more just obstacles without a clear way to overcome them but I'm pretty okay with that

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think we have the same rough idea except I prefer to have some canned, possible solutions in case players want hints or whatever (said solutions are just vague ideas that I cooked up and I’m not married to them in the slightest).

Like super over simplified example that is just a toy to demonstrate :

Let’s say the puzzle was a really sturdy door in a bar or whatever. (Yes this isn’t much of a puzzle but see the bit where this is just a bullshit example) When I designed this/came up with it in a second while drunk, I would also figure out that, say, the key is in the bartender’s breast pocket, there’s a back-up key taped under the bar and there a can of gas or an axe or something if they just wanna wreck poo poo. This is just a baseline so I can give players prompts to work with. If they instead remember that there was a bulldozer a block away from two scenes ago, gently caress yeah that’s awesome do that. Or anything else that isn’t genre breaking or bad for the table or whatever.

I find that having multiple pre-made solutions helps me deal with what my players do, but this might be a personal taste/style thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
puzzles are bad don't use them.