Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kaethela posted:

"Hello $USER, please confirm that this issue is resolved."

"k"

Well alright then.

Nice. I once emailed a boss with an issue and asked if he wanted me to implement solution A or solution B or something else.

He responded 'yes'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tactlessbastard posted:

Nice. I once emailed a boss with an issue and asked if he wanted me to implement solution A or solution B or something else.

He responded 'yes'

The "project managers" at my previous job did this all the time and it infuriated me more and more in each instance.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

I realize this is from about a month ago, but I'm being asked to get this moving forward so I have a few more questions.

Is there a way with Azure AD to define who is an administrator and who isn't from the Azure console? Or is it all just defined per device from the device itself (like using the Settings app -> Accounts -> Other People -> Add other people to this PC, and just manually adding their account)?

I apologize for the stupid questions, but I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how this works from an administrative perspective; whether it's basically just a DC in the cloud, or if there are real, actual differences between an on-prem domain and one in Azure.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Sickening posted:

Can you get me some coffee jeeves?

No but I can find a massive mistake in the config and fix it when I'm just supposed to be doing documentation

:smithicide:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

tactlessbastard posted:

He responded 'yes'
Had a boss that did that. I would just reply "Yes to which option? I can't proceed until I have a clear understanding." Half the time she'd forget she ever asked for anything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guarantee it's because they skim the email in less than three seconds, see a phrase like "I could do X" or "Do you want" and a question mark at the end, and they fire off a "make my problem go away" email without any further thought.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
That was Angry Boss and I think he wanted me to pick so that if it worked out, he could take credit and if it didn't he could scream at me for doing things without his explicit opinion.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
*at an analysis meeting to go over a major outage we had and resolved*

Manager: is there anything we can do so we don't have to lose a full day of data if we have to restore?

Me: have a mid day backup?

Accountant : No, that might make the accounting program laggy while the backup is running

Manager: well nothing can be done.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Signed the offer letter for a security analyst position :yotj:

Now to have the awkward conversation with my (understaffed) current employer!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

pr0digal posted:

Signed the offer letter for a security analyst position :yotj:

Now to have the awkward conversation with my (understaffed) current employer!

Congrats!!!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

blackswordca posted:

*at an analysis meeting to go over a major outage we had and resolved*

Manager: is there anything we can do so we don't have to lose a full day of data if we have to restore?

Me: have a mid day backup?

Accountant : No, that might make the accounting program laggy while the backup is running

Manager: well nothing can be done.

Break up the backup job into multiple smaller pieces that don't impact performance?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

ConfusedUs posted:

Break up the backup job into multiple smaller pieces that don't impact performance?

They immediately kaiboched any backup talk as it would impact performance. I guess they'd rather work ot to manually re-enter days of data.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Inspector_666 posted:

The "project managers" at my previous job did this all the time and it infuriated me more and more in each instance.

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to only ever ask them yes/no questions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

In a sales tax software call. Financial director just asked where VAT would apply

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

duz posted:

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to only ever ask them yes/no questions.

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to pretend they don't exist since you will be doing 100% of their job anyway.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to pretend they don't exist since you will be doing 100% of their job anyway.

That's the sad truth...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

nexxai posted:

I realize this is from about a month ago, but I'm being asked to get this moving forward so I have a few more questions.

Is there a way with Azure AD to define who is an administrator and who isn't from the Azure console? Or is it all just defined per device from the device itself (like using the Settings app -> Accounts -> Other People -> Add other people to this PC, and just manually adding their account)?
There is a "Device Administrator" role that you can assign in Azure AD. Users assigned to that role will have local admin on any enrolled device they sign in to. This feature requires Azure AD Premium

quote:

I apologize for the stupid questions, but I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how this works from an administrative perspective; whether it's basically just a DC in the cloud, or if there are real, actual differences between an on-prem domain and one in Azure.

No worries. There are a number of real actual differences between "on-prem" AD and AzureAD.

Depending on your use case it is not unheard of to spin up regular AD in a VM in Azure.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Partycat posted:

But now it’s 2018 and NEC/NFPA is going to push LV comms to electricians so even the copper is megabux to install correctly.
what

Data Graham posted:

Guarantee it's because they skim the email in less than three seconds, see a phrase like "I could do X" or "Do you want" and a question mark at the end, and they fire off a "make my problem go away" email without any further thought.
My favorite is when you answer a question, they skim it, then they ask you the same question you just answered in a reply.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

He responded 'yes'

I feel like the appropriate reaction to this is just to add a line at the end of the email that says "if you want me to hold off on doing anything until I hear back from you, just say 'yes.'"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

In a sales tax software call. Financial director just asked where VAT would apply

At least he asked, instead of trying to hide his ignorance.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Yeah I was wondering about this too. This seems like entirely a money grab by electricians, unless their justification is that increased PoE standards mean that low voltage is no longer low power and thus it should be governed by the electrical code?

In true Internet fashion I didn't bother researching anything about this before posting so now I'm just angry at a TRUE FACT based on somethingsomeguyonaforumsaid HOW DARE THE ELXTRICITNOANS UNION!!! ONIONS SUCK! DOWN WITH UONIONS!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

You take that back, they are the best vegetable.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

You take that back, they are the best vegetable.

Not as good as bell peppers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Not as good as bell peppers.

The holy salsa trifecta of jalapenos, onions and tomatoes would like to have words with you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I believe Chairman Kaga has already ruled in favor of bell peppers, case closed.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The holy salsa trifecta of jalapenos, onions and tomatoes would like to have words with you.

Yeah, I don't argue with fruits :colbert:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A ticket came in...requesting that I be assigned. Then another ticket. And another.

Apparently the user base is getting the impression that the other person on my team doesn't handle tickets as well as I do, and so they're specifically requesting me by name. I have no idea where they're getting this impression (ahem) but I would really like them to stop.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
We've got a new-ish hire that has resulted in four different "Yeah, this guy doesn't know what he's doing, please help" calls to us senior techs in the last two weeks :arghfist::saddowns:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Don't worry about it bro, we can pass the savings on to the customers

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

pr0digal posted:

Got assigned to finish documentation on a project I didn't work on! Apparently my co-workers who did work on the project couldn't be bothered so it got punted to me.

:tif:

Why the hell is him not doing his job your problem? Push back on this poo poo.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ah, sorry, just realised it isn't your problem much longer given that you just gave notice.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Steakandchips posted:

Why the hell is him not doing his job your problem? Push back on this poo poo.

Oh I made it clear that I didn't actually work on the install part of the project. Only to be told to do the best that I could because the client was requesting the documentation.

This is a constant issue with one or two people and I have brought it up multiple times.

But I just put in my notice so it won't be my problem anymore! :yotj:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 25, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I'll have you know my salsa is ~fabulous~.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Onion is not a fruit :mad:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

No, they're the only legit news organization out there these days, though.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

So sorry for implying I hate onions. I'm actually a shill for Big Onion in my other life, and have long insisted that the best pizza is onion/mushroom. Possibly with sausage and/or green peppers. When I was young I actually just had onion pizza, like, that was it, other than sauce and cheese. Oh yeah. That's the poo poo.

Anyway onions are great EAT ONIONS.

But also perhaps breathmints.

fakeedit: now I want onion pizza

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Man you really can't underestimate the value of a perfectly caramelized onion. It just MAKES some meals, y'know?

Unrelated, I just pulled two ten hour shifts in a row doing near-constant planned work interjected with plenty of "please put out this fire" work and ffs I loathe days like these. Not to sound entitled or lazy or whatever, since a lot of you have it way worse, but my days are usually steady yet far from overwhelming, ending right around that 8 hour mark. I have seen and talked to and coped with more people in the last two days than I usually do in a month, and I am SO exhausted.

To cap it off, my boss said to me today that he's accomplished virtually nothing over the same time period -- that he's be "all but worthless." I think he ordered us some more flash drives?

Tomorrow should be easier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

fakeedit: now I want onion pizza
red or white?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Whatever it is, put a wedge or two of an onion on a chicken and beef kabob with red and green peppers and some cherry tomatoes and roast that poo poo over open flame. All the kebabs. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Onions are bad hth