Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The map is neat I'd like to learn more about Mudtown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Build Lichbane, create orb, chunk tower, win game

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If they do make an MMO in this day and age, see it through completion, and the thing somehow is both good and able to maintain a sizable population 2 years after launch I'll be extremely surprised.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They're going to have a hard time translating 150+ heroes in to ~10 mmo classes without disappointing a lot of people. The f2p mmo market is fairly strong right now, and Riot does their research, so I don't doubt they can make money with one.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Elder Scrolls Online was doing 2.5 million monthly players as of last year. What percentage of the League playerbase needs to cross over to meet that?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reality Loser posted:

What percentage of the ______ playerbase needs to cross over to meet that?

I imagine this exact wording was used in lord knows how many meetings when pitching now defunct or skeleton crew MMOs of extremely large franchises.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

give me a giant world with similar controls to league and I'm in.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I would actually at least be up for trying a League MMO, the world is interesting enough that it has the ability to stand on its own two feet if they do it right.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Reality Loser posted:

They're going to have a hard time translating 150+ heroes in to ~10 mmo classes without disappointing a lot of people. The f2p mmo market is fairly strong right now, and Riot does their research, so I don't doubt they can make money with one.

you know the classes are going to be marksman juggernaut etc.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Freljord Archer, Piltover Engineer, Bandle Scout, Noxian Executor, Void Harbinger.

The Spine of Aurelion Sol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vermain posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcMerrill/status/1021932688259743744

Do it, motherfucker! Give me the god drat MMO!

They need to make this not even slightly derivative of EQ/WoW and I'll give it a shot.

Of course, trying to make it feel consistent with the gameplay of LoL is gonna blow chunks too.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I've been absolutely loving playing Mundo top, he just gets so drat tanky and slowly chops people down once I have 2 items.

I always go some order of Sunfire / Spirit Visage / Warmogs, with boots based on what I'm up against. Assuming the game doesn't end at 3 items, what should I be going for? Mallet or Cleaver? Is Liandry's worth it even with so little benefit from the AP? The increased damage while in combat seems like it would be monstrous.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Get deadmans for the movespeed and then you can get a pd if you're feeling spicy/you're ahead or a final mr/armor item, usually randuins thornmail or adaptive helm.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'll play it only if they guarantee that Anthony Burch writes all the missions + dialog

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
MMOs are fundamentally uninteresting games.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Sexpansion posted:

MMOs are fundamentally uninteresting games.

Grinding sucks but then again look at war thunder. A lot of people play that game non stop.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Enigma89 posted:

gently caress I am really getting paranoid about getting demoted now. I have been winning one, losing one, won one, lost two, won one, lost one, won one, lost two.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Enigma89

The good news is that in most of my games I have been playing decently so I feel like if I can get to 40 LP that I can really grind up into G4. The bad news is that if I keep getting teammates that won't group then I will most likely get demoted. Are you guys sure they give you a warning before you get bumped down? My MMR is at S2 now so I feel like I am running out of time and the pressure is starting to tilt me a bit.

I had a game yesterday where I went 9-0 as Vlad in the first 20 minutes and I had a Jinx that just kept trying to solo farm the sidelanes and get one shotted by a Regnar. Another game same sort of situation where we had two teammates that wanted to farm instead of push a giant advantage. Another game had two people leave pretty early so I am seriously hitting a string of bad luck which is pretty tilting. Not to say that I am playing perfect because I definitely fed my face off in one of those games vs a wukong and in general I could be farming better in most of my games.

I think being unbelievably fed and not being able to have your team group to finish things out is the thing that tilts me the most in any moba. :negative:

Quoting myself for context. I actually ended up getting demoted from Gold to S1 75LP and then immediately went back to gold. Since I hit gold again the second time I am running into the same issue where the games are win one and then lose one.

Is this all mental? One of my buddies said that S5, G5, P5 are notoriously bad places where people place but don't play that much and just keep their rank or you find a lot of people tanking and heading back down. My initial reaction is that it's bullshit but curious on thoughts here.

The odd thing is the games I am winning, I am absolutely loving crushing and solo carrying the games. So I would think I would get myself out of here pretty fast. The MMR difference between S1 and G5 seems minimal so I really should be okay to play against these people and on paper there really shouldn't be a difference between S1 and G5.

Think I am psyching myself out but I do know that I am adding pressure to myself with every loss at 0 lp as I chip away at my demotion shield. Either way, I was maintaining a really high win rate at S1 and now my win rate has flattened out at G5. Is that normal? I would assume that my win rate would start to drop off a bit and then gradually flatten out to 50% when I hit my peak skill but it would be over time and across a few ranks instead of it just being so sudden.

Ideally would like to aim for G3 by the end of the season, think that would be a healthy and attainable (?) goal for my first season in league.

E:
Also is there any punishment to duo-queuing with someone who is your same rank? Does the game make your game harder (getting better opponents) because you are duo queue?

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 25, 2018

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Enigma89 posted:

Since I hit gold again the second time I am running into the same issue where the games are win one and then lose one.

Sounds like matchmaking is working as intended, 50% win rate

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enigma89 posted:

Is this all mental? One of my buddies said that S5, G5, P5 are notoriously bad places where people place but don't play that much and just keep their rank or you find a lot of people tanking and heading back down. My initial reaction is that it's bullshit but curious on thoughts here.

You shouldn't play on the weekends or in the summer too because that's when all the kids are playing.

(your friend is sprouting Alex Jones level bullshit)

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Quoting myself for context. I actually ended up getting demoted from Gold to S1 75LP and then immediately went back to gold. Since I hit gold again the second time I am running into the same issue where the games are win one and then lose one.

The odd thing is the games I am winning, I am absolutely loving crushing and solo carrying the games. So I would think I would get myself out of here pretty fast. The MMR difference between S1 and G5 seems minimal so I really should be okay to play against these people and on paper there really shouldn't be a difference between S1 and G5.

Think I am psyching myself out but I do know that I am adding pressure to myself with every loss at 0 lp as I chip away at my demotion shield. Either way, I was maintaining a really high win rate at S1 and now my win rate has flattened out at G5. Is that normal? I would assume that my win rate would start to drop off a bit and then gradually flatten out to 50% when I hit my peak skill but it would be over time and across a few ranks instead of it just being so sudden.

Ideally would like to aim for G3 by the end of the season, think that would be a healthy and attainable (?) goal for my first season in league.

E:
Also is there any punishment to duo-queuing with someone who is your same rank? Does the game make your game harder (getting better opponents) because you are duo queue?

You already made you goal of making gold. You're in the upper 30% of players on the server. Remember you are 1/5 of the players on your team, so your agency in climbing is going to require you to play vastly better than anyone else on your team, consistently. There will be games where you crush and lose because of your team.

Gold 3 is a strange objective. At gold you can't decay and if it's the same as seasons past you will get all the end of season rewards. Maybe do the champion roulette on normals for awhile? See how the rest of the game works?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

milkman dad posted:

You already made you goal of making gold. You're in the upper 30% of players on the server. Remember you are 1/5 of the players on your team, so your agency in climbing is going to require you to play vastly better than anyone else on your team, consistently. There will be games where you crush and lose because of your team.

Gold 3 is a strange objective. At gold you can't decay and if it's the same as seasons past you will get all the end of season rewards. Maybe do the champion roulette on normals for awhile? See how the rest of the game works?

Gold 3 is my best guess that if I hit it then with next season calibration I wont drop back down to silver and have to regrind my way up.

Figure that is a safe enough buffer.

I actually played a bit of normals last night so going to try that out but I noticed every game had super low level players so not really great practice. Maybe I can solo queue flex?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're already Gold and you're not aiming for some super high elo, try to get Gold in every queue, because of the different Chromas.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the people who are tanking or heading back down have the mmr of a player for an entire division below them and they're not gonna be in your gold 5, plat 5 whatever games

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Oh that makes sense, thank you!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Literally all the League MMO needs is the ability to play Yasuo and Zed, and then millions of kids will go play it and fork over their parents' cash for glowing swords

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 25, 2018

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

They need to make this not even slightly derivative of EQ/WoW and I'll give it a shot.

Of course, trying to make it feel consistent with the gameplay of LoL is gonna blow chunks too.

quest: last hit 70 minions in the howling abyss. reward: BF Sword, 3000 xp

strong bird
May 12, 2009

nin ja/samurai pickers should be round up and be placed in the ninja/samurai detention centre, or NSDC for short

strong bird
May 12, 2009

And then we kill them.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dragongem posted:

Literally all the League MMO needs is the ability to play Yasuo and Zed, and then millions of kids will go play it and fork over their parents' cash for glowing swords

If they were gonna do a League MMO surely you'd create your own character and all the champions would be quest givers or trainers

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

101 posted:

If they were gonna do a League MMO surely you'd create your own character and all the champions would be quest givers or trainers

OK but is there a relationship system and can I marry Udyr?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Enigma89 posted:

E:

Don't focus on your actual LP too much and just play games. League has a tendency to get super streaky with wins/losses and can bounce you around within several divisions of your "true elo". If you strive too hard for the rank you have in sight, the streaks are likely to be losses. I failed a few gold series this year, then bounced around a bunch between G2 and G5, almost demoting to silver at one point, then ended up at plat 5. A month later I had gone from S2 to plat 5 in flex too, and my previous best season was G3. As long as you're playing consistently you should have no issue ending the season firmly in gold, November's a long time away.

As far as duo queue, my understanding has always been that you will face, on average, higher MMR teams than you would if solo queued to account for your coordination advantage. I think this has been confirmed by a red post at some point.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

based on my ranked games, I think Udyr only loves himself, no one else.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

njsykora posted:

you a fan of bear form? :grin:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

TheTofuShop posted:

based on my ranked games, I think Udyr only loves himself, no one else.

:drat:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

quote:

E:

there is no punishment (90% sure)

Enigma89 posted:

the mmr difference between those two divisions is very low. its pretty easy to be even a ~55% win rate player that went on a streak prior to getting into gold and because you're human its basically impossible to observe that. 55% is extremely good - the best champions are around that win% usually. unfortunately the power of observation in a system like league is utterly pathetic and so its going to feel extremely random and oppressive at times when its not really

edit2: everything else being equal, every division is approximately 7 wins over losses. 55% is obviously 10 wins over losses per 100 games, so playing a thousand games would generously see you two full brackets higher than where you started which is a hell of a lot better than the progress of most people over a season

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 25, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's a teaser in Brazil featuring Ryze making it look like he's either getting a legendary skin or his 11th rework :thunk:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Verviticus posted:

there is no punishment (90% sure)

the mmr difference between those two divisions is very low. its pretty easy to be even a ~55% win rate player that went on a streak prior to getting into gold and because you're human its basically impossible to observe that. 55% is extremely good - the best champions are around that win% usually. unfortunately the power of observation in a system like league is utterly pathetic and so its going to feel extremely random and oppressive at times when its not really

edit2: everything else being equal, every division is approximately 7 wins over losses. 55% is obviously 10 wins over losses per 100 games, so playing a thousand games would generously see you two full brackets higher than where you started which is a hell of a lot better than the progress of most people over a season

This makes me feel better thanks. So after my 1k games I went from S4 placement to G5 with a lot of ping pong between s3 and s2 in that time.

Just a bit hard on myself as I thought I would cruise to gold initially and didn't expect it to take so much but it looks like my progress is decent.

At some point I gotta learn a bit more of the game. I just found out this week the red buff can heal you when you hit things. Who knew :shrug:

Thanks

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

There's a teaser in Brazil featuring Ryze making it look like he's either getting a legendary skin or his 11th rework :thunk:

i hope the rework is just going back to old ryze. old ryze was fine

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's gonna be a fizz-level "rework" where they just make cage into a skillshit

E: leaving in good typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It was the comedy option for Ryze: No new skin, no rework, just a five and a half minute cinematic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGnZk-_R0KQ

Yes Ryze, that super popular lore character everyone loves

At least there's some team-ups with more popular characters everyone likes, like Miss Fortune, Sona, Nasus, and Trundle