Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Unrelated: Does anyone else like doing lovely accents as much as I do? Because I loving love doing lovely accents. Current ones are a horrible Skyrim-inspired Norse accent and the other is like a nasal Deckard Cain, with mid-Atlantic and Maine in equal measure. At some point I wanna try to do an idyllic Dorset country accent without becoming a pirate. It's tricky!

I always give dragons the most ridiculous Bogan Australian accent that I can put on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

shades of eternity posted:

Demons & Devils & Dungeons & Dragons: A Brief History

As a response to the release of Mordenkainen's tome of Foes, the Plot Points podcast did a fantastic job of breaking it down and wanted to let the world know as best I can.

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-pt-1

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-part-ii

I'm kinda amazed whom he was able to record with.

shades of eternity posted:

Demons & Devils & Dungeons & Dragons: A Brief History

As a response to the release of Mordenkainen's tome of Foes, the Plot Points podcast did a fantastic job of breaking it down and wanted to let the world know as best I can.

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-pt-1

https://plotpoints.libsyn.com/demons-devils-dungeons-dragons-a-brief-history-part-ii

I'm kinda amazed whom he was able to record with.

Is this in lore history or history of how the game was made? Both are neat but curious as to which this is.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
It's a history of why, amongst other things, the change of names of demons and devils over time.

man, maybe this would made more sense on another thread. my bad. :(

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

At this point I'm hard pressed to identify what any of you actually want or expect out of a setting book.

Something brand new and cool.

In a perfect world this would co-exist with updating old settings for the new edition. Or even just reissuing them with conversion guidelines bundled.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Sadly it's far easier to rework another setting into DnD vs paying writers to actually come up with an original setting nowadays.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

inthesto posted:

If there's anything that really separates Greyhawk from FR, I have no idea what it is.

Anyways, some of you are a touch too cynical. Even if the Ravnica book is a shameless marketing move, that doesn't preclude it from being good. Plus, Ravnica is cool.

doctor 7 posted:

Ah. All I know about Greyhawk is stuff I read in older modules and none of the towns seem magical mystical. Compared to Forgotten Realms where basically everything is magical of some sort.

I have done a decent amount of research about Greyhawk so can answer a few of these questions.

First thing first, tone wise rather then being Heroic Fantasy like FR, Greyhawk is a Sword and Sorcery setting, a place were Conan would not be out of place in. (Gygax was a big Conan fan so a lot of that tone went into Greyhawk.)

While there are many powerful characters in Greyhawk, they tend to be selfish or evil. Mordenkainen the big wizard of the setting has the crazy "balance in all things" neutral alignment, and is known to be pretty selfish and seeks to expand his own power or wealth rather then help people.

Another difference is that Greyhawk is covered in Kingdoms, FR primarily consists of City States and Kingdoms are far and few between, while in Greyhawk there are Kingdom, and Duchy's and such all around the place. Another difference is that Evil is a much more powerful force in Greyhawk then most other settings. In FR Evil forces tend to be different from the norm and come on out in order to threaten things before being defeated and peace being restored. In Greyhawk Evil controls more then half the map. With several large Kingdoms and Empires being evil forces, the most notable being the Empire of Iuz, a large and ambitious Empire ruled by the Demonic Demigod Iuz the Old.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ChaseSP posted:

Sadly it's far easier to rework another setting into DnD vs paying writers to actually come up with an original setting nowadays.

They should do this with that poo poo fantasy novel series with the sex ninjas and the hogwarts rip-off.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toshimo posted:

They should do this with that poo poo fantasy novel series with the sex ninjas and the hogwarts rip-off.

Sword of truth? Name of the wind? Lots to choose from

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QCS?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The premier poo poo choice is Gor.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

how about we go for Yor instead? :p

I'll even meet you half way and pick two books to start

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190188/Ultramodern5-5th-Edition

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237265/Simple-Settings-Savage-Lands

;)

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

That'd be awesome but lack of magic for Yor.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

That'd be awesome but lack of magic for Yor.

How about we mix in Dark Sun and it becomes Dark Yor. :p

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

doctor 7 posted:

I want some low-magic setting poo poo. Where wizards and heroes are rare and amazing.

Forgotten Realms makes it difficult for you as a DM to make heroes feel heroic by default. A wizard can shoot a fireball at 3 but whatever, even in this small village there's an NPC that can do better than that but doesn't because of *~reasons~*.

Apparently Greyhawk is kind of like that, fantasy but not like "magic hogwarts street lamps" all over the place.

D&D is high magic even the no magic world goes all in on magic where even the goddamn plants have magic powers

like D&D isn't really equipped to handle MtG style magic but it's not really opposed to it either

Ravnica is eberron but take the whole world and slam it into one city. it's chaotic and weird and turned way the gently caress up past 11

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

doctor 7 posted:

I want some low-magic setting poo poo. Where wizards and heroes are rare and amazing.

at the risk of opening another "recommend me a game" derail, D&D is drastically unequipped to handle this as a ruleset, and the setting implications derived from those rules. Not only is more than half the potential playerbase already capable of magic right off the bat, the capabilities and availability of that magic are set to be high by default.

it would be a fairly drastic shift to have a game that uses D&D's rules, but then rig the setting so that only the party's wizard is a wizard (and maybe one or two other NPCs among thousands)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I mean, you can get rid of or judiciously limit the presence of magic in the setting/mechanics outside the PCs, but past the very earliest levels where PCs are just chums 1-2 random hits away dying, anything that's challenge appropriate is going to need to be either magical in nature or deployed in numbers that are unwieldy for the system to handle.

Plus the spell list the PCs are going to have access to will still be D&D's with all of its dndisms.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The only thing that bums me out about Ravnica is that it's like a baby Sigil, and that means we won't get Sigil for a long time.

I wanna play the poo poo out of Spore Druid though. I bet that School of Invention wizard is Izzet, too.

Unrelated: Does anyone else like doing lovely accents as much as I do? Because I loving love doing lovely accents. Current ones are a horrible Skyrim-inspired Norse accent and the other is like a nasal Deckard Cain, with mid-Atlantic and Maine in equal measure. At some point I wanna try to do an idyllic Dorset country accent without becoming a pirate. It's tricky!

I did a campaign where all the read aloud text was read as deckard "SHTAY a while, and LISHEN" Cain, my players loved it

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
It's absolutely wild to me that multiple people in this thread have made the claim that Ravnica is basically Eberron because Eberron has guilds and cities in it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I thought it might be. I still have the original one. I stopped long before the weird giant cards were a thing. If I hadnt sold my pile of dual-lands Id bring out old Bolas and scare some kids. :corsair:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Saguaro PI posted:

It's absolutely wild to me that multiple people in this thread have made the claim that Ravnica is basically Eberron because Eberron has guilds and cities in it.

It's more that it's a high magic kitchen sink setting and D&D isnt really hurting for those. Plus the fans in this thread keep presenting "Necromancer Catholics" and "Goblins with gadgets" as unique and evocative setting elements when they sound like something that a Fantasy Cliche Generator spat out.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sorry to rant but we had a new player join our group last night and holy poo poo she should give a seminar on how not to play RPGs. Our Paladin already had the tendency to tell the DM what was going on rather than say what he was doing but it wasn't so bad since the DM was used to it and the rest of us made sure to not step on the Paladin's toes but hoooly moley she was just unbearable. Arguing with people's decisions, pulling up rules on her phone in every single round of combat, deciding ~10 mins into two other player's foray into another camp that she was actually with them the whole time when she realized there would be loot to steal. Man I am grumpy because I liked this group and my character is one of my favourite ones ever but I really felt drained playing with her yesterday. Bahhhh

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

tote up a bags posted:

Sorry to rant but we had a new player join our group last night and holy poo poo she should give a seminar on how not to play RPGs. Our Paladin already had the tendency to tell the DM what was going on rather than say what he was doing but it wasn't so bad since the DM was used to it and the rest of us made sure to not step on the Paladin's toes but hoooly moley she was just unbearable. Arguing with people's decisions, pulling up rules on her phone in every single round of combat, deciding ~10 mins into two other player's foray into another camp that she was actually with them the whole time when she realized there would be loot to steal. Man I am grumpy because I liked this group and my character is one of my favourite ones ever but I really felt drained playing with her yesterday. Bahhhh

Let me guess.

Halfling?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Sion posted:

Let me guess.

Halfling?

Half-Elf Druid. We had one really fun combat where she turned into a monkey and did some fun things, but it really was a 10 minute highlight in three hours.
I felt so bad for the DM, who has been super informative and helpful in helping me to prepare for DMing my first campaign, but then let her and the paladin totally walk all over him and the rest of the players and break all the rules he told me to suggest to my players lol. He's too nice for his own good.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it's okay to not like Ravnica, I don't particularly, but if anything it's the MtG fans who should be having conniptions over their setting touching the poop that is the D&D "canon" :smaug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tote up a bags posted:

Talk to her?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Razorwired posted:

It's more that it's a high magic kitchen sink setting and D&D isnt really hurting for those. Plus the fans in this thread keep presenting "Necromancer Catholics" and "Goblins with gadgets" as unique and evocative setting elements when they sound like something that a Fantasy Cliche Generator spat out.

Yeah, this is basically my thoughts, too. There's already M:tG stuff out there that nobody uses.
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Plane_Shift - 5 in fact.

Nobody thinks D&D is being stained by M:tG's cheeto crumbs or anything. It's not adding anything at all. We are full up on settings people don't give a poo poo about, really. I'm also having a sensible chuckle about people that think Ravnica is some super gonzo setting CRANKED TO 11. I have a whole world of settings and modules to show you that would be set to 20 if you think this is as far out as it gets.

\/\/\/ Yep.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 26, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's basically true that there's more than enough pre-existing D&D settings out there, and that even those settings can be further revised to capture whatever other thing they want to do, and that there's no real reason to want to do a cross-over ... except as a marketing strategy

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

did this get poasted?

https://twitter.com/skinnyghost/status/1021741069858299904?s=19

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Subjunctive posted:

Talk to her?

i will. i get the vibe the DM will anyway so it's all good but i'm sure we can come to a peaceful conclusion.

i'm insanely here for grognard nerds being cheered by thousands of koreans as they wear sponsor hockey shirts and throw down in the lost mines.
maybe i can be a hype commentator. HOLY poo poo THE D20! IT'S A CRIT! THIS IS WHAT HIS FANS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hasbro is finally listening to fans and we're going back to the true spirit of D&D.

Also Ravnica is cool and you guys are just babies.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

He says fantasy games but is referring to MtG not D&D for the eSports context.

He also says this year is the most profitable year for D&D ever.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't there a new MtG setting that's pirates and dinosaur themed, Why didn't they use that one?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

OmanyteJackson posted:

Isn't there a new MtG setting that's pirates and dinosaur themed, Why didn't they use that one?

Development timelines.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

OmanyteJackson posted:

Maztica already exists in FR, they just did a dinosaur jungle, it's not as robust a setting as Ravnica, and they probably didn't want to dabble in another book retreading problematic stereotypes of real world cultures.

Ixalan is cool though.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

tote up a bags posted:

i will. i get the vibe the DM will anyway so it's all good but i'm sure we can come to a peaceful conclusion.

i'm insanely here for grognard nerds being cheered by thousands of koreans as they wear sponsor hockey shirts and throw down in the lost mines.
maybe i can be a hype commentator. HOLY poo poo THE D20! IT'S A CRIT! THIS IS WHAT HIS FANS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!

D&D 6e: Battle Royale

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Kaysette posted:

D&D 6e: Battle Royale

100 of you land on an island. Everyone roll initiative.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

tote up a bags posted:

If they could somehow do a "fake ala pro wrestling" competitive d&d game I'd watch the gently caress out of it for at least a season.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Cat Face Joe posted:

If they could somehow do a "fake ala pro wrestling" competitive d&d game I'd watch the gently caress out of it for at least a season.

You already kind of get that. Did you see the d&d one shot Mike Mearls ran with WWE's Big Show playing a Fire Giant Rogue?

Just wait until Vince Mcmahon sees that article. You'll have the XD&D before too long

(Also, where is your avatar from? It's great.)

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

He also says this year is the most profitable year for D&D ever.

Every year under WotC has been "the most profitable year for D&D ever" and they won't ever say anything different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Hit me with all the sweet bestiaries available. I've got (or can access ;)):

Monster Manual
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Is that all of them?