Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
They're trying to backpedal pretty hard, and the chuds are pretty sad panda about it.

https://www.worldofdarkness.com/rules_of_conduct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They are hentai site about it?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Liquid Communism posted:

They're trying to backpedal pretty hard, and the chuds are pretty sad panda about it.

https://www.worldofdarkness.com/rules_of_conduct

Last updated over a year ago. Am I missing something?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sion posted:

Last updated over a year ago. Am I missing something?

Yeah, they didn't update the last updated line. Scroll down.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, they didn't update the last updated line. Scroll down.

Huh. the cached version is totally blank. Neat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What's new? All of it or just the nazi part?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/skinnyghost/status/1021741069858299904

D&D Esports

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

D&D Esports

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hey I played X-Crawl....it could work

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The irony of course being that DnD 4e makes way more sense as a competitive game than the current edition.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'm 110% sure he's talking about D&D-branded MOBAs and Overwatches, not the tabletop game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roadie posted:

I'm 110% sure he's talking about D&D-branded MOBAs and Overwatches, not the tabletop game.

You’re 110% wrong. He’s talking about Magic.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Is there much of a streaming side for magic games?

I was talking to friends about their BattleCon stuff and the concept of watching high level play in that game would also be super fascinating. Even watching some of the 40k Conquest LCG was a great time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cassa posted:

I was talking to friends about their BattleCon stuff and the concept of watching high level play in that game would also be super fascinating. Even watching some of the 40k Conquest LCG was a great time.

There is but it suffers from the overall complexity of Magic. Basically it's really hard to tell who's winning without deep knowledge of how the game works and which cards are in play.

Things that would improve this, hand cams (so the commentators can see what's coming), perhaps a separate readable card text window every time a new card is played.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I find myself enjoying things like The Commander Zone or Spellslingers where they give you time to actually get an idea of how the cards work. Maybe that's the key? Apply enough the editing necessary to slow things down and give people the time to read the drat cards?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XQduS6IfA

...but apply to MtG cards.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Watching Conquest I spent a lot of time on cardgamedb looking at the actual cards while watching.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Way back in the day some really big magic tourneys were on the dead hours of ESPN 3, alongside, like, chess.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's not the worst idea but magic is not that fun to watch

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cassa posted:

They could CGI a glow on the card being played, like Fox did with the puck in hockey.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My understanding of high level play in Battlecon is it can take fuckin' forever because some of the top players like to sit and stare at the cards for five minutes before deciding what to do.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mors Rattus posted:

Way back in the day some really big magic tourneys were on the dead hours of ESPN 3, alongside, like, chess.

Watching people lined up along rows and rows of plain folding tables was far less exciting than watching wrestlers slam each other through the same cheap tables and chairs.

That predated World Series of Poker, though, and that show has card table cameras down to a science.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I enjoy watching X-Wing streams, but card game streams are just awful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

canyoneer posted:

I enjoy watching X-Wing streams, but card game streams are just awful.

Yeah, if they've got a decent production value (which can really just mean 'decent lighting and an okay microphone') I'll watch people play Warhammer 40K or Malifaux or whatever all day. Card games, though, nah. Even Hearthstone is something I'd rather play than watch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Watching people lined up along rows and rows of plain folding tables was far less exciting than watching wrestlers slam each other through the same cheap tables and chairs.

That predated World Series of Poker, though, and that show has card table cameras down to a science.

Basically if MtG could copy the card cams of Poker, it might be more interesting to watch. Better still would be a live virtual table that people streaming it can look at and hover over specific cards or things to see their rules text and stuff.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Xelkelvos posted:

Basically if MtG could copy the card cams of Poker, it might be more interesting to watch. Better still would be a live virtual table that people streaming it can look at and hover over specific cards or things to see their rules text and stuff.

This is basically hearthstone

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

MTG would basically need a ground-up redesign to be exciting to watch in play. Right now it's two guys riffle shuffling at each other, asking to see graveyards, durdling around with private information deck control, all manner of poo poo that would bore an ardent fan, all "oh, he's once again using Sensei's Divining Top. This is really heating up." Also there's no personality, the few times I've watched pro magic everyone is dead silent.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

theironjef posted:

MTG would basically need a ground-up redesign to be exciting to watch in play. Right now it's two guys riffle shuffling at each other, asking to see graveyards, durdling around with private information deck control, all manner of poo poo that would bore an ardent fan, all "oh, he's once again using Sensei's Divining Top. This is really heating up." Also there's no personality, the few times I've watched pro magic everyone is dead silent.

There are already tons of pros (and non-pros) who routinely stream themselves playing MtG, either on MtG Online or MtG Arena. The audience probably isn't huge, but it definitely exists.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

thefakenews posted:

There are already tons of pros (and non-pros) who routinely stream themselves playing MtG, either on MtG Online or MtG Arena. The audience probably isn't huge, but it definitely exists.

its got a moderate but fairly consistent audience on Twitch, which would probably be larger if Wizards digital offerings weren't putrid rear end

we also know its possible to do much better tournament streams than Wizards currently does, because the Star City b-circuit has managed to do it for years despite having significantly fewer resources

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I played MtG back in the early days - end of Unlimited, start of Revised - but haven't played in decades. But I watched some of the Sealed Beta Draft stuff they've been doing for the anniversary, and just rolling around in the comfort of nostalgia.

I am also sick with the thought of how much my collection could be worth nowadays. The complete set of 4x every dual-land would have been nice! (I mean all of them got played with. So maybe not.)

I sold all my cards many years ago when I reflected on how much money I'd spent on the game, though, and when it looked like the market was unsustainable, so it made sense at the time. Ah well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just saw that the Witcher RPG is coming out fairly soon from R. Talsorian Games. Explains a lot about the Mekton RPG kickstarter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They probably exchanged rights for the Cyberpunk 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis posted:

They probably exchanged rights for the Cyberpunk 2020

Mike Pondsmith's son pitched the RPG to CD Projekt RED after the idea was floated when they were hammering out things for Cyberpunk 2077/a new edition of the RPG. It came up an article hyping Cyberpunk 2077 when the first trailer came out

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It was announced in 2015 and was originally slated for 2016.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So in TG industry news, a gamergater apparently got roughed up at a bar at GenCon for spouting off his nonsense in person. For values of 'roughed up' equal to losing a button on his favorite shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yst30wdSzQ&t=1s

This gets into industrychat because said chud is apparently naming Matt Fantastic (designer of Expancity) as the guy who 'attacked' him and is currently trying to get his crowd of gamergaters and alt-knights to harass the GenCon livestream until they kick him out of the con.

Taking a look at this rear end in a top hat's YouTube channel I have to assume this was his plan in coming to the con at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

So in TG industry news, a gamergater apparently got roughed up at a bar at GenCon for spouting off his nonsense in person. For values of 'roughed up' equal to losing a button on his favorite shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yst30wdSzQ&t=1s

This gets into industrychat because said chud is apparently naming Matt Fantastic (designer of Expancity) as the guy who 'attacked' him and is currently trying to get his crowd of gamergaters and alt-knights to harass the GenCon livestream until they kick him out of the con.

Taking a look at this rear end in a top hat's YouTube channel I have to assume this was his plan in coming to the con at all.

So apparently he even called the cops and they don't care?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

So apparently he even called the cops and they don't care?

He shows off a broken window at the bar, and the bar also doesn't care, which leads me to believe that the serial harasser and gamergater is full of poo poo as a christmas goose.

Looking a bit deeper, Jeremy Hambly's his name, and he's a tumor on tradgames in general and MtG in very specific.

Here's some of his work from last fall: https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/11/please-stop-harassment-mtg/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If that dude did get hosed up, I wanna buy the games of whoever did it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

He shows off a broken window at the bar, and the bar also doesn't care, which leads me to believe that the serial harasser and gamergater is full of poo poo as a christmas goose.

Yeah, the bit about how the guy punched a window in his blind rage at not being able to beat him up any longer seemed a little... false.

quote:

Looking a bit deeper, Jeremy Hambly's his name, and he's a tumor on tradgames in general and MtG in very specific.

Here's some of his work from last fall: https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/11/please-stop-harassment-mtg/

Oh, THAT dude. Yeah, he's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mors Rattus posted:

If that dude did get hosed up, I wanna buy the games of whoever did it.

As you wish: https://breakinggames.com/collections/check-out-our-hottest-new-games/products/expancity