Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

buglord posted:

does anyone else have that inescapable feeling that Death Stranding might not be good? I like to think that Konami was sort of a sanity check system to keep Kojima in line, so I have no idea what to expect when purestrain crazy makes a game.

If nothing else, Kojima has a pretty good track record with making his games actually fun to play.

That said, we're in uncharted waters here, in that we basically have no idea how the player actually interacts with the game world and things in it. We know that you do a lot of walking and that the game is about rebuilding connections between people, but we have almost nothing else to go on as far as moment-to-moment play is concerned. Maybe we'll find out next E3 :v:

(I almost said at the Game Awards but I bet it'll just be another cinematic trailer there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
And now the part where I wait 3-4 hours for them to repair my car.

...shoulda brought a charger with me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The personal automobile was probably the greatest single mistake of civil engineering in the 20th century.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

ugh, gently caress kotaku.

You may or may not have heard about the Sugita Mio controversy going on in Japan, basically a member of the Japanese House of Representatives went on some obscure far-right TV show and just went on a huge rant about how gay people, disabled people, etc weren't 'contributing' members of society because they didn't have kids, that people who didn't have kids were a drain on Japanese society, how gay people should 'grow up,' etc. It's a huge story in Japan, there are planned protests about it, and considering how that protests are fairly rare in modern Japan for a variety of social and political reasons that should tell you something.

Kotaku's angle?

Look, I get you're a video game website, but there's gotta be better ways of angling this, it's a big story that affects the entire LGBT community in Japan. Also it wasn't even the Dragon Quest guy's show, he was just a gues-

Oh, you're just shitheads.

Endorph, my dude, we hate dq music guy and hope he gets cosmic comeuppance. This is a glorious day. One step closer to justice for nanking and orchestral tracks in our games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

give me a remaster so i can play this game bamco

clearly you need to buy an xbox o.. bahahahaha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Endorph, my dude, we hate dq music guy and hope he gets cosmic comeuppance. This is a glorious day. One step closer to justice for nanking and orchestral tracks in our games.
dq music guy was the least lovely guy in that room because at least he had a job that he was actually good at instead of falling rear end backwards into power because japan is functionally a one party democracy

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don’t think i’ve ever heard any dragon quest music. right now i’m listening to Gene’s Rockabye from god hand though and it whips

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played DQ Heroes and heard way too loving much of it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/CartridgeGames/status/1022284280687468545

Police will never help you, unless you're already a president.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
But thou must!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Booored
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cW-uVzcGyo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfUqmTwKYSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Same but mostly cuz I’m stuck in traffic on the bridge. I hate the San Mateo bridge so much lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

dq music guy was the least lovely guy in that room because at least he had a job that he was actually good at instead of falling rear end backwards into power because japan is functionally a one party democracy

Ok but its usually a hasty decision to not consider a ghoul like him to be worst in room.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Endorph posted:

ugh, gently caress kotaku.

You may or may not have heard about the Sugita Mio controversy going on in Japan, basically a member of the Japanese House of Representatives went on some obscure far-right TV show and just went on a huge rant about how gay people, disabled people, etc weren't 'contributing' members of society because they didn't have kids, that people who didn't have kids were a drain on Japanese society, how gay people should 'grow up,' etc. It's a huge story in Japan, there are planned protests about it, and considering how that protests are fairly rare in modern Japan for a variety of social and political reasons that should tell you something.

Kotaku's angle?

Look, I get you're a video game website, but there's gotta be better ways of angling this, it's a big story that affects the entire LGBT community in Japan. Also it wasn't even the Dragon Quest guy's show, he was just a gues-

Oh, you're just shitheads.

Lying to generate fake outrage and use it as clickbait? How could the highly-respected journalists at Kotaku allow this to happen?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Presented without comment

I'm afraid comment is needed

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mak0rz posted:

It’s the rules for being a social justice warrior

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

"don't give up, skeleton!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Don't you tell me to do no orange. I'll do any loving color I want

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Taintrunner posted:

It’s the rules for being a social justice warrior

I don't see any robocops here

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I just bought the first one on Blu Ray for £2

Can't wait to reminisce of the 1980s and our overly optimistic predictions of future America

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

i saw robocop for the first time a few weeks ago and uh wow i bet that was at least slightly less depressing in the 80s

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I want to go for the low hanging fruit about making a joke about Detroit’s portrayal but that is a given.

Edit: what gets me the most is how they try to revive him at first when he was riddled with bullets and was basically a torso. It’s one violent rear end movie for the 80s

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hey remember spinal from killer instinct

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shindragon posted:

I want to go for the low hanging fruit about making a joke about Detroit’s portrayal but that is a given.

Edit: what gets me the most is how they try to revive him at first when he was riddled with bullets and was basically a torso. It’s one violent rear end movie for the 80s

Plenty of 80's movies were that violent, it was before they realised they could sell more tickets if the age rating was lower.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Danganronpa V3 was so drat good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Danganronpa V3 was so drat good

Im on chapter 3 of the original and loving it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Some other game recs from what ive been playing

Vampyr: its like a mashup of every cool game in one semi jank package. Dunno how it will play out but im really impressed at the depth so far in conversations, exploration, combat, etc.

Domina: ludus gladiatoris simulator. Very cool and bloody. Optime benefactum!

Yokus island express: pinball+metroid with a dung beetle protag. Super cute, and i dont even have strong pinball feelings.

One game i no like:
Hellblade: the gameplay kinda sucks and gets in the way they shoulda done straight walking sim or spent more time on making puzzles and fighting that arent boring.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Looper posted:

i saw robocop for the first time a few weeks ago and uh wow i bet that was at least slightly less depressing in the 80s

Paul Verhoeven is basically Nostradamus so get ready for the movie adaptation of Starship Troopers to happen as well.

The Running Man is also a 1980s sci-fi action film that accurately predicted today.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is there even a market any more for more utopian science fiction? Or is everything supposed to be an extension of modern reality now?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People only write utopian stuff when they have hope

Serf
May 5, 2011

chumbler posted:

Is there even a market any more for more utopian science fiction? Or is everything supposed to be an extension of modern reality now?

the last utopian sci-fi i read was the culture series, and even that is predicated on a society that is effectively alien to our own

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
optimistic scifi reads as naive unless it's like trying to make a point by being optimistic

people have given up hope

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Some other game recs from what ive been playing

Vampyr: its like a mashup of every cool game in one semi jank package. Dunno how it will play out but im really impressed at the depth so far in conversations, exploration, combat, etc.

Domina: ludus gladiatoris simulator. Very cool and bloody. Optime benefactum!

Yokus island express: pinball+metroid with a dung beetle protag. Super cute, and i dont even have strong pinball feelings.

One game i no like:
Hellblade: the gameplay kinda sucks and gets in the way they shoulda done straight walking sim or spent more time on making puzzles and fighting that arent boring.

i think you would enjoy sid meier’s pirates!, tropico 2: pirate’s cove, one piece pirate game, asscreed 4: the pirate one, zack and wiki: the quest for pirate treasure, shantae: pirate’s curse

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wait a minute... you're just naming games with pirate in the title

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i should have ended with thief

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

optimistic scifi reads as naive unless it's like trying to make a point by being optimistic

people have given up hope

I'd rather be naive with scifi fiction than stop even pretending we could be better I guess.

40k aside because that's just good comedy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Everyone should play Deadly Premonition imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Everyone should play Deadly Premonition imo

I'd rather watch it to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

People always say that but I don't understand this sentiment. It's way more interesting if you do it yourself and it's not like the game is hard or bad or whatever.

Just play it it's great. Isn't that right, Zach?

• Locked thread