Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I had to look up what those were. What does that have to do with my post?

Seriously, I don't think anything I said was particularly bad or snobby or whatever and I'm not sure why you're kind of jumping on me like this?

A lot of us are in our twilight years and poo poo on people putting effort into getting beer. Don’t let them shame you out of waiting in line for hours or blowing your rent money on razzles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Didn't John Laffler say in an interview that craft lagers were the next big craze because all the major breweries over expanded and now have excess capacity. He was saying that because brewing a lager takes significantly longer than an ale it is painful for them to brew lagers from a business perspective. He sounded in some ways like he was deriding the coming lager movement. This was a long time ago though so I could be misremembering.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean I've never really had a lager where I was like "this is extraordinarily good, way above other lagers" but I do love em so bring on the lager craze!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lyon posted:

Didn't John Laffler say in an interview that craft lagers were the next big craze because all the major breweries over expanded and now have excess capacity. He was saying that because brewing a lager takes significantly longer than an ale it is painful for them to brew lagers from a business perspective. He sounded in some ways like he was deriding the coming lager movement. This was a long time ago though so I could be misremembering.

You're talking about the guy who made a lager his fifth or so packaged product, well before the current trend? The guy who literally brews Miller High Life for fun?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean I've never really had a lager where I was like "this is extraordinarily good, way above other lagers" but I do love em so bring on the lager craze!

New person is right. Good work, new person.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've never really had one of these new fangled "good" lagers (Suarez etc), but I have had the several of the hoppy lager trend, and they're fine, but basically just IPA with pilsner malt and a touch of sulfur or whatever. I hope I can find out how these top tier american pilsners actually stack up to something like canned grocery store pilsner urquell, but if I never do I'll just keep coming back to Mahr's Bräu Kellerbier for my "sophisticated" lager fix.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Lagers that are extraordinarily good:

Sierra Nevada Summerfest
Victory Prima Pils
Schlenkerla Helles in a can
Super fresh poo poo from your local brewery that knows what’s up
Gennessee Cream Ale

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Sour IPAs are a weird thing and despite loving sours and loving IPAs I'm still not 100% on them.

I don't like sour IPAs either, the Hill Farmstead x Siren Brewing collab was gross, and is shelf-turding hard in my country despite the Hill Farmstead cred. I do however love heavily dry-hopped sours like the Prairie Gold series.

Its weird.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 26, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Sierra Nevada Summerfest
Victory Prima Pils
Gennessee Cream Ale

I've only had the first 2 but I would generalize to "breweries that are extremely good" when mentioning Victory and Sierra Nevada :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Biomute posted:

I don't like sour IPAs either, the Hill Farmstead x Siren Brewing collab was gross, and is shelf-turding hard in my country despite the Hill Farmstead cred. I do however love heavily dry-hopped sours like the Prairie Gold series.

Its weird.

I agree somewhat, though if you can get it both Sour Bikini and Nasty Trunks from Evil Twin are excellent

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Biomute posted:

Its weird.

Thanks!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Kolshes are my favorite lagers :downs:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Kolshes are my favorite lagers :downs:

:golfclap:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

double oof.

if you're in Europe and get fresh German and Czech lagers, well, i doubt that the American stuff is going to compare all that favorably

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Sierra Nevada Summerfest
Victory Prima Pils
Gennessee Cream Ale

This is actually a crime to inflict Genny Screamers in people

nah
Mar 16, 2009

lager good, ale bad

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
What will be the trend in 2016 for craft beer?

A lot more lagers. A lot of breweries overbuilt capacity. The demand isn’t there for the amount they can supply so the obvious answer is make a lager. It doesn’t matter if the beer sits in the tank for four weeks versus two weeks. You’re going to see a lot of breweries say they’ve always like lagers we just didn’t tell anybody. It’s like gently caress you. We make one lager here and it hurts. We should be making two tanks of Apex in that same time period, but we don’t because we do care about this. You see these breweries that have too much capacity jump on the (lager) bandwagon and it drives me loving nuts.

Hazy beer is a thing now too. People are into hazy beer all of a sudden. I’ve been doing this for a while and at first beer was hazy because we didn’t have a lot of money and time to do filtration. Then everyone bought centrifuges because they got big enough and could afford them. Then we thought clear beer was cool. All of a sudden clear beer was the sign of quality and know-how. Now all of a sudden people out East people are literally throwing flour into their beers to get cloudy beers because that’s now the sign of quality. It’s a sign of “quality” because it has an imperfection in it. It’s just a bunch of bullshit.

We only filter our pilsner. We’re not intentionally trying to create haze. Troublesome is hazy because there’s yeast in it. Apex is hazy because it’s rustic – it is what it is. We’re not intentionally doing it.

My memory was a little off but that's the interview I was talking about.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mixing sourness and bitterness is divisive. Adding a bunch of lemon peel did not make that go down any easier for me. It's certainly not an impossible mix, I dig BFM v225, but the limoncello beer just came across as soapy astringent to me. The girlfriend liked it fine.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Did a side by side with this year's market rate and last year's. Last year's somehow smells more like strawberries but this year's is more acidic. Regardless, both really good.

Wildings, however, is probably the one of the best beers they've done since Whiskers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I went to Belgian independence day at Roque last week and one of the beers you had to drink for a giveaway was Lindemans Strawberry. That poo poo was strong strawberry, to the point where you could easily mistake it for a cheap malt beverage like Smirnoff Ice with strawberry flavoring.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

chitoryu12 posted:

I went to Belgian independence day at Roque last week and one of the beers you had to drink for a giveaway was Lindemans Strawberry. That poo poo was strong strawberry, to the point where you could easily mistake it for a cheap malt beverage like Smirnoff Ice with strawberry flavoring.

The "fruited" Lindemans lambic you find are literally young lambic mixed with syrup. So yeah, your description is pretty accurate.

They do, however, make very good, cheap, and easy to find unsweetened lambics. Cuvee Rene is a good drat gueuze (mix of old and young lambics) that is a good place to start if you want to get into that thing. They do a cherry version (Cuvee Rene Kriek) that is lambic aged with real cherries. That's also very good, and nothing like the Kriek Lambic that uses the syrup.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Weekend opener can check!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

danbanana posted:

The "fruited" Lindemans lambic you find are literally young lambic mixed with syrup. So yeah, your description is pretty accurate.

They do, however, make very good, cheap, and easy to find unsweetened lambics. Cuvee Rene is a good drat gueuze (mix of old and young lambics) that is a good place to start if you want to get into that thing. They do a cherry version (Cuvee Rene Kriek) that is lambic aged with real cherries. That's also very good, and nothing like the Kriek Lambic that uses the syrup.

They have a cuvee Renee oude kriek now as well that's only 7.50€ for a 750. That's going in my next belgiuminabox order for sure.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Half Acre's Tuna is better than all but a handful of hazy beers I've had.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Snow Cone Capone posted:

gently caress yeah

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:q:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Not a can but w/e

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Did a couple small local IPA and went to a food truck round up. Nashville hot chicken sandwich with a Sierra Nevada torpedo .... good enough!!!!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If anybody's in the tri-state area:

If you like sours, and maybe also dry ciders, you owe it to yourself to check out Graft Ciders out of Newburgh NY. They do sour/fermented ciders, often dry-hopped as well, and they are absolutely phenomenal. They are my summer go-to by a wide margin now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If anybody's in the tri-state area:

If you like sours, and maybe also dry ciders, you owe it to yourself to check out Graft Ciders out of Newburgh NY. They do sour/fermented ciders, often dry-hopped as well, and they are absolutely phenomenal. They are my summer go-to by a wide margin now.

Their farmhouse one fulfilled my craving for asturian ciders so they're A Ok in my book. IDK why but local ABC's each got a shipment in a while ago and it was a welcome surprise.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Not a can but w/e

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Was someone talking poo poo about Bell's 30th? Because five years later, this poo poo is pretty ideal as an imperial stout: chocolate, bitterness, semi-dry finish. loving tight.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can checks #2 and 3 because it's Friday night goddamnit don't judge me

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Beer time!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

rochefort update: rochefort is still really good

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Tbh I'd trade this rodenbach for those, this is not an ideal 3 am afterwork beer.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I really wish more american breweries made belgian gold ale. Its the only strong beer that works in the summer that isnt some IPA crap

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Control Volume posted:

I really wish more american breweries made belgian gold ale. Its the only strong beer that works in the summer that isnt some IPA crap

IPAs suck. Spread the word.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

There are a few places around here that do top-notch coffee porters and brown ales that are strong but not too heavy, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

IPAs suck. Spread the word.

Ive been spreading the word for years. Nice to finally find an ally against these hop headed freaks