Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Autism Sneaks posted:

I couldn't exactly figure out what it was last season that left so many 50v50 games decided early in the match, but this season it's definitely whichever side has the most people dicking around in golf carts instead of moving towards the eye loses

Aw, but dicking around in golf carts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There used to be a crossbow in this game? drat Epic, you done us dirty

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
50v50 is also the best mode to do some of the challenges in which has resulted in many of my games spent doing that rather than trying to win.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Top 20 is child's play and I've had several top 5 finishes but I just can't stick the combat. Usually my firing instincts grant me an advantage in shooters

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just keep playing until you get matched against 99 idle bots.

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014

Nullsmack posted:

Better than the twitter threads which are nothing be people begging for likes, people bitching about people begging for likes and people complaining about weapons or asking for stuff to come back that is never coming back.

Another reason why my only forms of "social" media accounts exist here and Twitch only (not that here or Twitch is any better but eh).

I guess I'll just never understand being that upset over a video game, especially one that is constantly changing/trying to find the correct balance. Though... I would do terrible, unspeakable things to have the Torque Bow from Gears of War somehow added to Fortnite :black101:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Autism Sneaks posted:

I couldn't exactly figure out what it was last season that left so many 50v50 games decided early in the match, but this season it's definitely whichever side has the most people dicking around in golf carts instead of moving towards the eye loses
"Apes strong together".

I can't tell you how many games I've stood and rained hell from above on the other team only to be flanked by a squad because everyone else on my team ran off in random directions instead of watching my back (I'm poo poo in close fighting so I'm going to die if you run up to me). When I spot a sniper team on my side I'll always stay to watch their backs. Most of my kills are people running up behind a small base of my team not expecting opposition. Stand a little to the right or left and don't open fire right away and no one will ever see you until it's too late. A full squad with mics working together and communicating can beat most anything. Last game my squad took the high ground and held off four other full teams until they died in the storm.

And there's only one real use for the ATK: distraction. NO ONE can resist shooting at it, drive into the center of the largest gun battle and power slide in circles: the ENTIRE enemy team will start firing at you while getting shot by your team. Get ready to build when it gets destroyed if you can't find a partner to do your building.
I mean there are other ways to play the game than an endless Zerg rush towards the other team is all I'm saying.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There used to be a crossbow in this game? drat Epic, you done us dirty

It was very bad.

Unlike the Jetpack. RIP best item in the game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
jetpack would've been great if you had to have it equipped to use it.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

It was very bad.

It was awesome, even if it was bad. It deserved buffs rather than the vault.

prom candy posted:

jetpack would've been great if you had to have it equipped to use it.

This. Jetpackers shotgunning was obnoxious since this was when pumps were at their strongest. Also, jet packs just allowed people to build massive sky bridges with almost no risk of dying to fall damage.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm imagining the jetpack combined with the orange P90 and I hate it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The crossbow was great, I loved taking pot shots at people :colbert:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Kinda curious how much of a clusterfuck a mode where everyone has permanent, slowly recharging jet packs would be.

Tilted sure would be a mess.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

People with StW should be checking the loot tab each day as well. Had a smorgasbord llama waiting which gave me 1500 event tickets and a handful of legendaries.

Yeah, I got mine, too. I just started so there goes the progression. Lol.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Hot off the Press!

Epic Man on Reddit posted:

SMG Balance Changes (self.FortNiteBR)
submitted 50 minutes ago * by EPIC_Clintonious - announcement

Hey everyone,

We've heard your feedback regarding SMGs and that they’re stronger than we would like at the moment. We agree and have just pushed a hotfix live adjusting these values - bringing them more in line with where we want them.

SMG and Compact SMG accuracy bonus reduced from 35% to 15%.
SMG damage reduced from 19/20/21 to 17/18/19.
Compact SMG damage reduced from 23/24 to 21/22.
SMG fire rate reduced from 13 to 12.
Compact SMG fire rate reduced from 11 to 10.
SMG, Compact SMG, and Silenced SMG damage falloff.
Range reduced from 2400/3500/5000 to 2000/3000/4000.
Percentage reduced from 100/80/65% to 100/70/40%.
Rare SMG and Compact SMGs drop rates slightly reduced.

We’ll continue to monitor and please keep the feedback coming!

Edit: Clarification on building damage

quote:

One more point to add about the damage falloff:

The new falloff values apply to environmental damage as well, meaning SMGs are now less effective at destroying structures as range increases. This helps further position SMGs as close-range weapons and keeps them from edging into engagement ranges where rifles should be the most effective option.

Again, we'll be keeping a close eye on SMG perform...

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 26, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:yeah:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

drat, I barely got to enjoy them before they nerfed them :argh:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hadn't seen this, big lol https://www.reddit.com/r/FortNiteBR/comments/91sfgz/the_compact_smg_is_literally_more_powerful_than/

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mongoose posted:

Hot off the Press!

So they didn't touch suppressed SMGs? I feel like those have been a secretly OP weapon ever since the big SMG buff a few weeks ago. I hope everybody doesn't just move to those and get them nerfed too.

edit: I missed the line about damage falloff. Still, I think it's going to be the better SMG option over the standard SMG.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 26, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

wa27 posted:

So they didn't touch suppressed SMGs? I feel like those have been a secretly OP weapon ever since the big SMG buff a few weeks ago. I hope everybody doesn't just move to those and get them nerfed too.

Suppressed SMGs took a hit alongside the Tactical SMG already. It happened shortly after the first big buff when the blue suppressed in particular was so accurate and powerful that it was outperforming ARs in mid and long distance. I can't find any links to the notes, but it was a similar type of nerf, reducing the damage accuracy and increasing the damage drop-off effect to limit the range.

The suppressed is still an excellent choice in mid range. First shot accuracy and no recoil / small bloom range give it a great niche--more spray accuracy than AR and more range than the other SMGs. The only downside I've found is that I use up my small ammo too quickly in early game if I use two smgs. Suppressed + Drum gun seems like a good combo.

Found it, it hit with the big 5.0 patch and was mostly a damage over range change

Patch Notes 5.0 posted:

Changed the damage drop-off profile for the Suppressed SMG to be the same as other SMGs.
Fall off starts at 24 meters from 28 meters.
Damage reduced to 80% at 35 meters from 85% at 47.5 meters.
Damage reduced to 65% at 50+ meters from 75% at 70+ meters.

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 26, 2018

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
In those patch notes it says Suppressed SMG took a damage fall off hit. Makes sense considering they were literally better than AR's for medium-long range fights.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new p90 didn't seem like it was that amazing. Like, yeah in a close range fight it's going to melt your face but were people actually finding it effective at medium to long range fights? The couple times I got my hands on one it seemed like the spread made it almost useless outside of close quarters.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

bango skank posted:

The new p90 didn't seem like it was that amazing. Like, yeah in a close range fight it's going to melt your face but were people actually finding it effective at medium to long range fights? The couple times I got my hands on one it seemed like the spread made it almost useless outside of close quarters.

This video had some good highlights at different ranges - https://www.reddit.com/r/FortniteCompetitive/comments/91rhui/fortnite_p90_trailer_posted_in_the_main_sub_too/

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Reminds me of how every single subReddit is filled with retarded mods. How does that get removed and the lovely 1 picture paint memes aren't (i.e. 99% of the subreddit). :laffo:

Holy poo poo that weapon though, it seems to have less spread than in PvE, and in PvE it's been one of the best weapons for a while now.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah maybe I was just overcautious with it, the range on some of those kills is insane for an smg.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That weapon was even dumber than jet pack was.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

epic, bring back jetpacks, but also crossbows and the smoke bomb

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

goferchan posted:

Yeah also worth noting I bought StW like 2 days ago and already have earned like 900 vbucks from it, so in terms of fortnite money it seems to pay for itself pretty quickly (no you can't buy it with vbucks though)

If anyone is debating StW or a Battle pass, get StW. You’ll easily earn more than enough vbucks with a few days to get the battle pass as well. StW kind of shits out VBucks for a while too. Between dailies and the other assorted missions there has been a steady income from it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AAB posted:

epic, bring back jetpacks, but also crossbows and the smoke bomb

Smoke bomb was awesoooooome. Replace the fart bomb with it, imo

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Yeah why did they get rid of Smoke Bomb? I feel like it'd instantly be in the meta if it returns.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay thats enough. What is meta?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fortnite-studio-founder-is-now-a-billionaire-repor/1100-6460747/

codo27 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 26, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

quote:

The Bloomberg story also reveals one of Sweeney's favourite drinks: 60 percent water and 40 percent Diet Coke mixed together.

wtf

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Maybe he's Mormon or Jehovah's Witness but he likes to live it up now and then.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

codo27 posted:

Okay thats enough. What is meta?

The metagame. The basic game of Fortnite is the same over time, but individual things change that make the game play slightly differently than it did before. Right now the big meta is less building and the P90 is crazy good. Previous metas have included shotguns being crazy strong, double pumping two shotguns, things like that.

The meta is basically "what do the latest patch notes mean for me, joe gamer?" as well as "what is the majority of the player population currently doing?"

Every multiplayer game has a meta, some of the metas change constantly, some dont. Devs that dont buff or nerf things, or change how the game works have metas that are pretty stable, but they all do have metas.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 26, 2018

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Johnny Truant posted:

Smoke bomb was awesoooooome. Replace the fart bomb with it, imo

Smoke bomb + thermal AR would be a little crazy. The problem would be landing the smoke bomb at range, or having a teammate to run it up.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Smoke Grenade Launcher. :getin:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Smoke nades are strong in BRs where you might end up with a cover deficiency when you need to rotate. Between spam building, rifting, launch pads and bouncers I think fortnite gives you enough ways to escape being pinned as it is. Now if all grenades had their own dedicated slot...

Crossbow was also a huge bummer weapon for me personally because at least with other weapons you don't want if you find those then at least there might be useful ammo - never the case with crossbows. There was always something that seemed especially cruel about opening a late game chest desperately needing *something* and getting crossbow, bandages and wood.

I like vaulting the items that are underperformers because fortnite already has so many different weapons, consumables and traps that every time they add a mediocre one it just reduces your chances of actually running into something useful.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

with the crossbow you did always get something, usually 1 of 2 easy options. You either got owned or you got good. :c00lbert:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Crossbow didn't even full kill off a headshot. Only thing crossbow was god-tier at was snipers only mode because it no-scopes far more accurately than any other scoped weapon and it has a nice sized clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Crossbow still sounds better than the Revolver.