Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Arbite posted:

Would this Dell G3 be a good value?

A big draw is the possibility of an international warranty.

Looks like suspiciously great specs for the price and I've never heard anyone recommend these. I'm guessing flimsy build quality and less-than-ideal thermal situation. Not an expert though, just chiming in since no one else is. Why would an international warranty be a plus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Why would an international warranty be a plus?
I think Arbite is not in the US and wants a warranty that would be valid in his/her country?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
International warranty is always good if you know you'll be spending extended periods in another country as well of course.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah Dave says the thermals ain't great and you're better off with the G5 or 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQTKwY-vJI

also the screen ain't great but that was the case with the FHD 7577 that came before it right

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008
I'm probably leaning towards the new XPS 15, with the 4k screen deal for $1800 at Costco. Has anyone ordered from there? Does it take a while? The website says the item should arrive in 3-5 days, but I don't particularly trust that.

Also, I have a Thinkpad X230 (from 2011 :yayclod:) that I'm replacing, what are good options for Thunderbolt docks? I have two monitors that I connect to at my desk at work (I don't plan on using the laptop screen when I'm at work)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Chemical Shift posted:

I'm probably leaning towards the new XPS 15, with the 4k screen deal for $1800 at Costco. Has anyone ordered from there? Does it take a while? The website says the item should arrive in 3-5 days, but I don't particularly trust that.

Also, I have a Thinkpad X230 (from 2011 :yayclod:) that I'm replacing, what are good options for Thunderbolt docks? I have two monitors that I connect to at my desk at work (I don't plan on using the laptop screen when I'm at work)

Costco probably have it in stock.

I picked up the Dell TB16 dock and it's been great besides some finicky driver updates initially. Haven't had a problem since I got it all updated, though. It's pricy, but does what it says on the tin, so if it's in your budget, I'd go for it.

I think Hadlock has the ThinkPad dock with his, and it seems like it's been fine from what they've posted.

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

I picked up the Dell TB16 dock and it's been great besides some finicky driver updates initially. Haven't had a problem since I got it all updated, though. It's pricy, but does what it says on the tin, so if it's in your budget, I'd go for it.

I think Hadlock has the ThinkPad dock with his, and it seems like it's been fine from what they've posted.

Alright, sounds good. I'll probably pick up the Dell one, I'd rather have consistent performance when I'm at work, even if it's at a little bit of a premium.

I'm excited about the new laptop! No more 10+ minutes worth of calculations for me! And after the 1366x768 screen on the Thinkpad, I'm just excited for a higher resolution.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Are there any Lenovo codes/redemption offers that still work? I've tried the ones suggested in the OP and none of them are working. I'm looking to pick up a new laptop for work and figured a ThinkPad was the way to go. Unless anyone has any suggestions about deals taking place this weekend. I'd like to get it ordered and on the way before the end of the weekend as i'm starting a new job on Monday and would like it next week.

Edit: If it helps i'm looking at right around the $1200-$1300 mark. My work is going to reimburse me for the laptop and said $1000, but I know I can sweet talk them into covering up to $1200-$1300. So i'm looking to get as much performance as I can without spending any of my own money. Not looking to ever play games on it, but I want something durable (for travel) and quick, but powerful enough to edit things in Photoshop when needed. I also really care about a decent keyboard/track pad without a bunch of extra space surrounding both.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 26, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I noticed that Razer has their new blade stealth in the refurb store for $1200 with 512gb SSD. That seems like a pretty good deal to me and the extra $1000 I'd save over a full on gaming laptop could easily bump my main desktop up to par. That's also quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent XPS 13 (which I think is probably a much better laptop overall, but harder to swallow at 'round $1800 if I want a 512gb SSD.)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

powderific posted:

Hmm, I noticed that Razer has their new blade stealth in the refurb store for $1200 with 512gb SSD. That seems like a pretty good deal to me and the extra $1000 I'd save over a full on gaming laptop could easily bump my main desktop up to par. That's also quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent XPS 13 (which I think is probably a much better laptop overall, but harder to swallow at 'round $1800 if I want a 512gb SSD.)

xps13 + buy your own m2 ssd to upgrade it with

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That'd still be like $500 more than the razer refurb if I want 16gb of ram though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, update, been using it with my macbook pro for a while, no issues at all, works flawlessly. The future is awesome.

Click photos to embiggen.

Mid/late 2017 rMBP with 2 thunderbolt ports (work laptop)

2018 Dell XPS 15 9570 with 1 thunderbolt port (personal laptop) - same cable to dock

Backside of Dell U2717DA - the $100 extra for the arm (that is the A in the model number, arm is packaged in the box) is 1000% worth it, it is a new arm design for 2017 and works a lot better than the existing "old" arm design you can buy from third parties. You can buy the arm separate for $150 and retrofit existing Dell displays but it is not a VESA compatible arm. The big value here is the cable routing on the back makes the display look like it's floating, and removes all cables from the desk.

Finally, This photo (below) is a mess and I love it, because this mess is 6' away, hidden behind some books on my bookshelf normally.

Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 40AC0135US - In my hand I've got the 6.5' cable matters brand 100w "active" Thunderbolt 3 cable, this is the black cable you see snaking out of the laptops in the earlier photos. Out of it I have power, displayport out, a USB cable to the monitor (monitor is also a USB 3.0 hub), logitech usb wireless mouse receiver, xbox controller adapter, a USB-C external SSD (back right) and then gig-e goes from the thinkpad/lenovo dock to the Synology NAS (NAS has it's own wifi adapter on the back) with 8TB RAID (16TB total across 4 drives)

Finally I get my uber-nerd workstation, and it's appearance is girlfriend approved :dance:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 26, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

baka kaba posted:

You can undervolt and maybe knock 10 degrees off. Elevating the back will help a lot too, so it has better airflow - try that first, even a cm or two will make a difference

And a quick google says wow actually runs decent on integrated graphics if you put the quality on 3. Not 60fps eh, but it's still nice to run things where the fan just does a gentle whoosh

Mark Larson posted:

Have you tried the low-tech solution of a laptop cooler with a built-in fan on your desk?

Yeah I'm gonna try these

I tried undervolting and got great results a couple of weeks ago, but any time the computer went to sleep it'd crash and Intel XTU would promptly forget any profiles I'd saved. Someone suggested installing it with administrator privileges and trying again so maybe I'll do that tonight.

Also I hadn't really thought of just elevating the back to help with airflow, so I'll do that, too. And if that doesn't work, the good old-fashioned "just put another fan under it" strategy isn't all that costly so hey.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ShowTime posted:

Are there any Lenovo codes/redemption offers that still work? I've tried the ones suggested in the OP and none of them are working. I'm looking to pick up a new laptop for work and figured a ThinkPad was the way to go. Unless anyone has any suggestions about deals taking place this weekend. I'd like to get it ordered and on the way before the end of the weekend as i'm starting a new job on Monday and would like it next week.

I found this while doing my own research

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/91d4ob/current_best_offer_lenovo_30_off_x_series_w_16/

I've been looking for a good 2-in-1 and wasn't terribly impressed with the Lenovo Yogas, until I discovered among the ten thousand lines and models they also make ThinkPad Yogas. The X1 Yoga looks about as close to what I want as I'm gonna get. Great display, good keyboard (that sinks into the body in tablet mode even), TB3/USB-C charging, SD reader, pen included (and it slots/charges in the chassis). At 14" the footprint is a little larger than I would have liked but it's not that[ much bigger. My spare machine is a T440s and that's not too bad.

And the wild Lenovo discount codes + Ebates cash back put it within my price range. I'm only concerned about the all the posts about QC and Lenovo Support I've seen :shrug:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thinkpad support is managed by a different group, different phone numbers call centers, parts warehouses etc, better training etc.

edit: QC ehhh yeah maybe. The T series have had garbage class 1366x768 screens in the past. I don't know who is loving who to convince Thinkpad execs that they should cheap out on screens but the X series for a long time was very popular because it was one of the few Thinkpads you could buy with an IPS screen... that was 6 years ago and the T series screen problems were 2-3 years ago. Since then they briefly introduced an OLED screen and I think they're starting to feel pressure from the XPS dell models.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 26, 2018

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

The Milkman posted:

I found this while doing my own research

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/91d4ob/current_best_offer_lenovo_30_off_x_series_w_16/

I've been looking for a good 2-in-1 and wasn't terribly impressed with the Lenovo Yogas, until I discovered among the ten thousand lines and models they also make ThinkPad Yogas. The X1 Yoga looks about as close to what I want as I'm gonna get. Great display, good keyboard (that sinks into the body in tablet mode even), TB3/USB-C charging, SD reader, pen included (and it slots/charges in the chassis). At 14" the footprint is a little larger than I would have liked but it's not that[ much bigger. My spare machine is a T440s and that's not too bad.

And the wild Lenovo discount codes + Ebates cash back put it within my price range. I'm only concerned about the all the posts about QC and Lenovo Support I've seen :shrug:

Might go with this. Do you just cash out the ebates cash back or do you have to use it as 'credit'? When I just tried the cash back was only 6%, so i'm gonna check again in a few hours when that post said it might go up to 16%.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Thinkpad support is managed by a different group, different phone numbers call centers, parts warehouses etc, better training etc.

edit: QC ehhh yeah maybe. The T series have had garbage class 1366x768 screens in the past. I don't know who is loving who to convince Thinkpad execs that they should cheap out on screens but the X series for a long time was very popular because it was one of the few Thinkpads you could buy with an IPS screen... that was 6 years ago and the T series screen problems were 2-3 years ago. Since then they briefly introduced an OLED screen and I think they're starting to feel pressure from the XPS dell models.

Even now the T series 1080 screens aren't bad by any means but they are way dimmer and less vivid than say a rMBP

Notebookcheck.net posted:

As compared to the WQHD panels in our previous two units, the less expensive matte FHD (1920x1080) 14-inch display in today’s review configuration sacrifices a bit in terms of brightness and saturation. It’s hardly inappropriate for general office use, however, and despite these technical insufficiencies it should be fine for most businesses. Backlight bleed is only a very minor problem on the T480 (see pictured).

We measured an average brightness of 281 cd/m² with a distribution of 86%, 22% below the 343 cd/m² of the WQHD panel, and just a bit below the two Dell Latitude models in our comparison field. It’s also far below the premium panels in the X1 Carbon (533 cd/m²) and HP EliteBook (655 cd/m²). Contrast, on the other hand, is quite good with a measured 1373:1 beating every competitor apart from the stellar X1 Carbon (1521:1)—thanks to a black value of just 0.21 cd/m².

Apart from brightness, where the display truly falters, however, is in color coverage. The apparent lack of vibrancy exhibited by the display is corroborated by readings of just 58.9% and 37.67% of the sRGB / AdobeRGB spectrums, respectively—poor by any measure and far, far below every other machine we’re comparing against today. Despite their similarly middling brightness, the two Latitudes, for instance, still manage to cover nearly 100% of sRGB, which results in a palpably richer appearance.

Accuracy, likewise, leaves a lot to be desired, with ColorChecker / Greyscale DeltaE measurements of 6.16 / 6.3, and a maximum deviation of 18.99 (Blue). Post-calibration, things settle down to averages of 4.51 / 0.9 in these same tests (and the CCT Average and Gamma are both very close to ideal), but Blue remains highly deviant (17.77).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Is there anywhere I can see an up-to-date list of what laptops have a given graphics card as an option?

It looks like the 1050 and up Pascals require a bulkier laptop than I want in order to run games without thermal problems. Soooo I think I'm looking at either an MX150 or one of the intel/amd hybrid chips I'm now reading about looks like they too will only be found in very large or very expensive laptops. :saddowns:

Sorry for all the recent questions, but I would like to make sure I've considered all the options before I pull the trigger tonight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't tried this yet, but pretty sure you can just get a laptop with 1050 and then turn the thermal throttling way the hell up until it's basically an MX150 with very short period burstable performance above that.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That's a good point! I was put off by all the posts of people having to undervolt their stuff to keep it from burning up, but an undervolted 1050+ still beats a MX150.

Especially since there's apparently a hobbled and a non-hobbled version of the MX150. It gets weird, the T480s (my favorite up until now) has the weaker one... but the regular T480 has the standard?

If I start looking at 1050 laptops that's a whole new field of options I know nothing about to narrow down. :psyboom:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Okay, new and hopefully final criteria:
  • Clean-looking enough to pull out at a meeting/new job
  • portable enough to take to said meetings
  • 6+ hours of battery life
  • not fragile or unreliable
  • under $1500
  • no bottom-of-screen nostrilcams, I need the webcam for work
  • Thunderbolt 3
  • best gaming performance I can get after satisfying everything above. ideally some kind of discrete internal GPU

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 27, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

XPS 12 or 13? Or is the internal 1050 class GPU a hard requirement, was hard to tell

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

My bad. 1050-class not a requirement at all, but I would like SOME kind of GPU to tide me over. I thought the XPS 12 and 13 were only available with intel graphics?

I'm not expecting to build the eGPU for another couple years, and this will be my only machine until then.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

My bad. 1050-class not a requirement at all, but I would like SOME kind of GPU to tide me over. I thought the XPS 12 and 13 were only available with intel graphics?

I'm not expecting to build the eGPU for another couple years, and this will be my only machine until then.

Dedicated graphics cards are really rare for smaller laptops due to thermal management issues.

Also since you don't like the thin bezel nostril cam I would probably just get a open box/refurb Surface book 2 13.5" pro.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This site lists laptops with a given GPU (scroll down past all the benchmarks). There's a list of GPUs on the right if you want to look for a different one

Maybe a Zenbook Pro UX550 would be ok? There's one on sale on Newegg for just over $1200. Not a recommendation or anything, just something to look at eh

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Even open box refurb surface book 2s are outside my price range, but I like that suggestion. Notebookcheck makes the UX550 sound like a miss.

What if I strike the nostrilcam exclusion and just get a peripheral webcam for home? Does that open things up?

Chemical Shift
Aug 17, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

Even open box refurb surface book 2s are outside my price range, but I like that suggestion. Notebookcheck makes the UX550 sound like a miss.

What if I strike the nostrilcam exclusion and just get a peripheral webcam for home? Does that open things up?

That's probably a good option anyways, considering laptop webcams aren't amazing and you could pick up a better one for less than 100 dollars. I'd say maybe look at the Asus laptops, or an i5 quad core XPS 15 (or a 9560 if you're okay with a 1050 instead of a 1050ti)? I don't know enough about Asus laptops to recommend a specific model, but I remember coming across them in my searches and a lot of them had dGPUs in a 14inch frame, and the price was generally lower than the XPS, Razer, or any of those higher end laptops.

Edit: I don't know your webcam needs, but I've been pretty satisfied with http://a.co/aBlDouj this one for the past few years. It's clear and definitely better than most laptop ones. But I don't use it too much so there might be better options out there for you.

Chemical Shift fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 27, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Unsinkabear posted:

What don't you like about the Zenbook? They gave it 87% (well that's the touchscreen version) - there are compromises but some of that is just how the thin-and-light-with-GPU scene is unfortunately. If there's specific stuff you don't like then people might be able to point you in the right direction

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

baka kaba posted:

What don't you like about the Zenbook? They gave it 87% (well that's the touchscreen version) - there are compromises but some of that is just how the thin-and-light-with-GPU scene is unfortunately. If there's specific stuff you don't like then people might be able to point you in the right direction

The part about it only performing in bursts and then making GBS threads the bed, and the noisy/rattling fan. I see what you mean about those being normal issues though, and that sale price and battery life ARE really nice in such .

It seems like the best options are either that deal, or the XPS 15. They've got a configuration w/ i7, 1050ti, 16gb ram, and 256gb SSD for $1500, and those battery tests are super nice.

Both models only have a 1-year warranty though, and coming from ThinkPads that's a very short time to cover such an expensive device. :ohdear:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 27, 2018

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone have any reviews for a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1? I was reading bad reviews for the ThinkPad Carbon, read great reviews for the Dell XPS 13 and played with one at my local Costco, plus purchasing it at Costco got me $100 off of an already good deal and I get Costco's great warranty or return program. I think it's gonna be the laptop i'm looking for, but I can always return it if someone posts a better deal for the $1300 (sale, tax and shipping) I ended up paying.

This was the one I ordered: https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-13-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---QHD%2b-(3200-x-1800)---Silver.product.100423619.html

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ShowTime posted:

Anyone have any reviews for a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1? I was reading bad reviews for the ThinkPad Carbon, read great reviews for the Dell XPS 13 and played with one at my local Costco, plus purchasing it at Costco got me $100 off of an already good deal and I get Costco's great warranty or return program. I think it's gonna be the laptop i'm looking for, but I can always return it if someone posts a better deal for the $1300 (sale, tax and shipping) I ended up paying.

This was the one I ordered: https://www.costco.com/Dell-XPS-13-2-in-1-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---QHD%2b-(3200-x-1800)---Silver.product.100423619.html

Just fyi the XPS 13 2-in-1 uses the extra low power Y-series CPUs. They're like 40% the speed of "regular" laptop chips. This may or may not matter to you.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Unsinkabear posted:

The part about it only performing in bursts and then making GBS threads the bed, and the noisy/rattling fan. I see what you mean about those being normal issues though, and that sale price and battery life ARE really nice in such .

It seems like the best options are either that deal, or the XPS 15. They've got a configuration w/ i7, 1050ti, 16gb ram, and 256gb SSD for $1500, and those battery tests are super nice.

Both models only have a 1-year warranty though, and coming from ThinkPads that's a very short time to cover such an expensive device. :ohdear:

Oh hey if you can spring for it and don't mind the webcam position, why not!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Oh hey if you can spring for it and don't mind the webcam position, why not!

You're all going to murder me and I deserve it, but the warranty concern has me circling back to T480s+MX150

That XPS 15 is perfect, but Harrow's issue with not being able to undervolt it reliably gives me pause, and it's just so much money to be hosed on if anything goes wrong in a year. :ohdear:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Anyway, Lenovo doesn't make the machine you (and I) want. You should consider the 15" spectre x360 or the new XPS 15 2 in 1 with that spooky vega intel hybrid thing.

Or, Samsung is still selling the Notebook 9 Pro, the 15" 2 in 1 version with the pen. It's a kaby lake U series, so the cpu isn't the greatest but it's got a cut-down RX460 in there that actually gives it a good amount of oomph, a little better than an MX150. The pen is fantastic as well, being Wacom EMR. I had one for a while and loved literally everything about it except the pixel density. I just can't live with 1080p at 15", but if you're cool with that you should check it out.

Was trolling through old posts and found this, after a couple pages of people gushing about their 2-in-1s.
Can anyone else speak to this recommendation? I've never heard of it before but I'm kind of in love with the idea. Still only a one-year warranty, but it's an even more do-everything option given the 2-in-1 and samsung pen gimmicks.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 27, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All computers come with a 1 year warranty by default. You can always buy more. My thinkpad only came with one year.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Found a cheap refurb. $250, on Woot for the next ~4 days.

The AMD APU isn't anything special but it's not one of the super-low-end E2-whatevers; the combo of CPU & GPU should be comparable to what you'd be able to get in a similar new/recent i3 2C4T system. 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and a 14" SVA display that's FHD, which is a nice surprise because a lot of these low-end off-lease business PCs have a lower resolution than that (although a couple reviews I read said the display isn't anything special.) A backlit (albeit apparently shallow) keyboard is also very nice and this has a USB-C port so it's not that old (apparently it's a ~2016 model) but it doesn't appear to charge via USB PD despite this only needing a 45 W [proprietary] power supply. It also has a Trackpoint or HP's version of that if you're into it! This model doesn't appear to have the fingerprint reader based on the description, although it does happen to be visible in the [stock] photos, and it's worth pointing out that this was a business model with a wide variety of options; there's a chance that some of the laptops for sale have specs that are better than listed, and I've received a couple of things from Woot with better specs than I'd ordered, so I'll just throw that out there.

So this is by no means a great or notable laptop, but it's $250 which is ~$200 less than the Acer I usually recommend, after SSD & RAM upgrades that you'd have to do yourself but not on the HP. So for the next couple of days this is what I'm going to recommend to anyone requesting a really cheap laptop.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
to those worried about throttle and temperatures - Intel's 9xxx series chips will use solder instead of paste which will basically let them run 10-15 degrees cooler

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Just fyi the XPS 13 2-in-1 uses the extra low power Y-series CPUs. They're like 40% the speed of "regular" laptop chips. This may or may not matter to you.

Yea I read up on them and some reviews. I'm going to give it a shot and see if it does what I want it to. If it doesn't, I can just return it to Costco, which is partly why I purchased it from Costco. I'm basically going to give it a trial run and see how things work out. By the time I get it and use it, Costco will be into another month of deals and maybe something better will be on sale.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

All computers come with a 1 year warranty by default. You can always buy more. My thinkpad only came with one year.

poo poo, you're right. Notebookcheck said the T480s came with a 3 year warranty, but I'm looking at it now and it's 1 year like everything else.

ShowTime posted:

Yea I read up on them and some reviews. I'm going to give it a shot and see if it does what I want it to. If it doesn't, I can just return it to Costco, which is partly why I purchased it from Costco. I'm basically going to give it a trial run and see how things work out. By the time I get it and use it, Costco will be into another month of deals and maybe something better will be on sale.

Does Costco have the same configs in store and online? Normally they have different inventories, and online they only have the 4k XPS 15.

Related thought: gently caress Dell for making every XPS 15 2-in-1 except the most expensive one have 8gb of RAM. I can't afford that unit and don't need that 4k screen, but if I could get the basic model with 16gb this search would be loving over.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Unsinkabear posted:

poo poo, you're right. Notebookcheck said the T480s came with a 3 year warranty, but I'm looking at it now and it's 1 year like everything else.
That's probably a specific SKU they tested, could be .edu or .org or something else.

Unsinkabear posted:

Related thought: gently caress Dell for making every XPS 15 2-in-1 except the most expensive one have 8gb of RAM. I can't afford that unit and don't need that 4k screen, but if I could get the basic model with 16gb this search would be loving over.
You can easily upgrade the Dell at home, right? Just make sure it comes with a single stick of 8GB and grab compatible RAM from the usual suspects.