Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

OH poo poo RIGHT

This has been on my list for a long time but I forgot about it. Thank you.

Wasn't this made by a Goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

OH poo poo RIGHT

This has been on my list for a long time but I forgot about it. Thank you.

Wasn't this made by a Goon?

A pair of em, yes.

Here's the thread.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Are there any 3rd person action games that use tilt-shift photography?

I think a action mech game would be fun through that lens.

Stretches the definition of what you're looking for, but Beseige is a wonderful little game that uses tilt-shift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_LXRF0myw

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ReShade has some fake tilt-shift effects you can mess with.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Inzombiac posted:

I think a action mech game would be fun through that lens.

Not sure, but maybe Tokyo 42 as well?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Inzombiac posted:

do you mean "isometric perspective"? computer graphics don't work like real life cameras

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you mean "isometric perspective"? computer graphics don't work like real life cameras

Pretty clear they meant a tilt-shift filter, like the Besiege video posted. I'd go so far as to assume that a poster who knows the term "tilt-shift" doesn't think that actual cameras are following their character in a video game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think this is probably a popular genre, but I'm not sure what it's called? Rogue-likes and rogue-lites, obviously, but there's something more specific.

I've been playing a ton of Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon. It's not exactly the aesthetics or bullet-hell-esque gameplay that intrigues me so much as it is that there are tons and tons of poo poo to unlock, there are almost no wasted ventures into the dungeons, there are tons of achievements. Rogue Legacy is another great example. Oh, and Brigadoor, kinda. I know Dungeonmans and Tales of Maj'whateveriforget do this, too, and I've played a lot of both and I guess those games also fit into what I'm talking about, but something about them annoyed me. I don't really know what. Maybe the visuals? I don't know. Anyway, help me learn more games that rewards me for my time, that gives me achievements, that uh...is also fun to play, please.

Games that also fit into the shared vortex of this diagram:

gently caress I used a free online thing to do a simple loving thing and it was complicated so, anyway, I think overall I've articulated what I'm trying to ay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dead Cells is good and coming out of EA real soon (but it’s fun now).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

I think this is probably a popular genre, but I'm not sure what it's called? Rogue-likes and rogue-lites, obviously, but there's something more specific.

I've been playing a ton of Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon. It's not exactly the aesthetics or bullet-hell-esque gameplay that intrigues me so much as it is that there are tons and tons of poo poo to unlock, there are almost no wasted ventures into the dungeons, there are tons of achievements. Rogue Legacy is another great example. Oh, and Brigadoor, kinda. I know Dungeonmans and Tales of Maj'whateveriforget do this, too, and I've played a lot of both and I guess those games also fit into what I'm talking about, but something about them annoyed me. I don't really know what. Maybe the visuals? I don't know. Anyway, help me learn more games that rewards me for my time, that gives me achievements, that uh...is also fun to play, please.

gently caress I used a free online thing to do a simple loving thing and it was complicated so, anyway, I think overall I've articulated what I'm trying to ay.

Deathstate, Cogmind, Unexplored, Assault Android Cactus, JYDGE, Monolith, Starward Rogue, Mark of the Ninja, Slay the Spire, Copy Kitty, etc. I'm getting more and more off-base as I name titles, but any of those are good games that you might have fun with, if you click with 'em.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
FTL and Into the Breach too

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nuclear Throne, 20XX, Synthetik.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Dead cells for sure

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
For job and kid reasons, my current gaming schedule is dumb phone games during the week, and real gaming for about 5 hours each weekend. The next games on my list are .hack//G.U. Last Recode, Persona 5, and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse. Which is going to hold up best/be least confusing if I only play on weekends? (I just finished Disgaea 5, so I'm okay with things being a long haul.)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm inclined to say Persona 5 since it has a journal that gives you plot recaps whenever you need your memory jogged.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Seconding Persona 5. I can't really recommend SMT IV with that, I dropped it for a few weeks and I'm gonna have to restart the drat game cause I can't remember at all what I was doing.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

For job and kid reasons, my current gaming schedule is dumb phone games during the week, and real gaming for about 5 hours each weekend. The next games on my list are .hack//G.U. Last Recode, Persona 5, and Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse. Which is going to hold up best/be least confusing if I only play on weekends? (I just finished Disgaea 5, so I'm okay with things being a long haul.)

SMT4:A is pretty good in short bursts. IIRC the quest system is a lot more explicit than SMT4 about where you should go, and I never really felt like I didn't know what to do or where to go. It also feels like you can make significant progress in a short amount of time, whether that's finishing a quest, leveling up, or fusing a new demon. One of these things is likely to happen every 30/40 minutes or so, and each one feels meaningful enough that I always felt like it was time well spent.

edit: I'm pretty biased because I don't particularly like the dialog-heavy nature of the Persona games and very much prefer the mainline SMT games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

Prey: Mooncrash

Neon Chrome is JYDGE with extra rogueliteness

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

credburn posted:

Nuclear Throne and Monolith. These are the pinnacle of this genre in my opinion.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

credburn posted:

Roguelikes with overarching progression.

Rampage Knights and Lost Castle are great if you have someone to co-op with.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sm4ta but play persona 5 first it's so good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
PS2 game, it had a rather lengthy demo on a demo disc. It played somewhat like Metal Gear Solid when it came to movement and shooting. You were investigating a lab (?) in a snowy area, its kinda like a horror game where there is something infecting people and turning them into blobs. I remember at the start of the demo you had to time walking into a tunnel with a spinning fan at the entrance. Anyone know the name of this game?

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

credburn posted:

Dead Cells is a really obvious choice here imo. It's officially releasing soon and is just a really, really, really well made game with very cool progression.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Leal posted:

PS2 game, it had a rather lengthy demo on a demo disc. It played somewhat like Metal Gear Solid when it came to movement and shooting. You were investigating a lab (?) in a snowy area, its kinda like a horror game where there is something infecting people and turning them into blobs. I remember at the start of the demo you had to time walking into a tunnel with a spinning fan at the entrance. Anyone know the name of this game?

I mean in general this sounds like The Thing video game, but I don't remember the beginning of the game at all. It was all about a snowy research base and your squadmates potentially being replaced ("infected") by aliens.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Leal posted:

Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extermination_(video_game)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This is it, perfect!

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
I am looking for a game which is mechanically not at all demanding, and involves learning/figuring out a story or mystery by assembling clues. Examples would be something like the lost phone iOS games, or Her Story (though ideally with a bit more going on), or even sort of Broken Age. It seems like something like the vanishing of ethan carter, what remains of edith finch, tacoma, firewatch, etc. would fit this bill, but I'm wondering which of those in particular would be recommended? Looking for someone who is very into stuff like scavenger hunts/mysteries, but not so into video games per se. It sounds like most of the above are pretty well reviewed, but I can't tell what balance they strike between "walk around and experience a story" vs "walk around and experience a story but also make it progress by solving mysteries".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

a_good_username posted:

I am looking for a game which is mechanically not at all demanding, and involves learning/figuring out a story or mystery by assembling clues. Examples would be something like the lost phone iOS games, or Her Story (though ideally with a bit more going on), or even sort of Broken Age. It seems like something like the vanishing of ethan carter, what remains of edith finch, tacoma, firewatch, etc. would fit this bill, but I'm wondering which of those in particular would be recommended? Looking for someone who is very into stuff like scavenger hunts/mysteries, but not so into video games per se. It sounds like most of the above are pretty well reviewed, but I can't tell what balance they strike between "walk around and experience a story" vs "walk around and experience a story but also make it progress by solving mysteries".

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It sounds like you'd like LA Noire, aside from the gunfights

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Danganronpa

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

a_good_username posted:

The Zero Escape Series, which is 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (I'll call it 999), followed by Virtue's Last Reward, and lastly Zero Time Dilemma, is all about this as a very story-driven game series that has puzzles in the vein of Myst or other old "immersive" point and click adventures, where you have a first person view and move around a series of locations to solve logic and/or lateral thinking puzzles to push the story forward. 999's story is branching based on some decisions you make, much like your average visual novel, and the branching is addressed by the mystery in the game itself. My wife rarely plays video games herself, and struggles with controls in platformers or whatever, but she powered through that game.

What kind of mystery and what kind of theme would be most appealing for this person? And are you looking for puzzles, or just pushing a narrative forward with decisions (visual novel, e.g. Steins;gate or Psycho-Pass) or even just walking around (e.g. The Stanley Parable)? There are also a decent amount of good "block puzzle" games that do involve a significant amount of platforming, like Rime, but are still pretty drat good and accessible.

If you don't have any ideas of what kind of mystery, or what kind of theme, here's some examples-

Mystery: Paranormal/supernatural weird stuff (Dark Dreams Don't Die), time travel (Steins;gate), horror/suspense (Black Mirror), detective poo poo like murders but not horror (LA Noire), escaping from a Saw-like scenario (999 (there is more to it though)).
Theme: High-flying adventure (Broken Sword), hardboiled private eye (Hotel Dusk), silly poo poo (basically any Lucasarts adventure), actually trying to scare the player (Perception)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gone Home, which is...you'd get more out of Gone Home the less you know going in

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I think I've asked before, but let's try again:

Looking for a game that gives you a good sense of progression and that unlocks options as you grow more powerful. I don't mean bigger numbers or flashier abilities in an RPG, but rather starting in the X series as a lone miner and end up with an automated trading and production empire, Mount&Blade going from mercenary to carving your own kingdom or Kenshi starting as a noe armed peasant and ending up with an army. Other games that have scratched that itch somewhat are CK2 (more for the "it's good to be king" feeling rather than the map painting), Terraria (because I like to build towers of different materials to hold my mannequins armours), Dwarf Fortress is getting there as it starts letting you influence the world around you, and Factorio.

PC or PS4

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I think I've asked before, but let's try again:

Looking for a game that gives you a good sense of progression and that unlocks options as you grow more powerful. I don't mean bigger numbers or flashier abilities in an RPG, but rather starting in the X series as a lone miner and end up with an automated trading and production empire, Mount&Blade going from mercenary to carving your own kingdom or Kenshi starting as a noe armed peasant and ending up with an army. Other games that have scratched that itch somewhat are CK2 (more for the "it's good to be king" feeling rather than the map painting), Terraria (because I like to build towers of different materials to hold my mannequins armours), Dwarf Fortress is getting there as it starts letting you influence the world around you, and Factorio.

PC or PS4

Rimworld?

e: You can start as a hungry naked survivor with nothing and build a whole settlement.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rimworld?

e: You can start as a hungry naked survivor with nothing and build a whole settlement.

How does it play, is it base management?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

It plays like Sims (you have pretty direct control over your dudes but they will ignore you if they're exhausted or something) mixed with Prison Architect style building/management.

e: Details now that I have a keyboard to type on.

Your peeps have Sims-like needs and priorities. They need food, rest, social, etc. They will try to fulfill these needs while doing work. The game has a basic priority tree for peep AI - if you make cooking a #1 priority in the tree, your peep will attempt to handle their basic needs, then cook, then everything else they've been assigned to.

Basic gameplay is designing the huts and buildings that become a settlement, designating which animals should be hunted (or not), zoning areas - so they know that this room is a hospital or storage - and in general managing things so there's enough supply for everyone.

Now, the game is set up with standard AI Storytellers that like to send increasing waves of raiders, so that you get a rhythm of "one good event, one neutral, one bad, repeat" until enough time passes so the difficulty becomes so bad that you're enduring sieges and eventually getting killed - so most goons like to play with Randy Random, who doesn't have that pattern, and it's more Dwarf Fortress-y in surviving in a harsh death planet. Sometimes you get screwed, sometimes not, you get better at learning how to survive even the screwball situations. You can "win" the game by building your own starship to escape, or finding one (this usually involves a lot of travel)

It's a very, very good game, and even better with mods - I've never played a game with so many different and interesting mods before. They expand adding bionic bodyparts to peeps, they add dinosaurs, they rework the entire psychology of peeps so they can have more realistic/interesting relationships with other peeps, instead of the binary "we talked, +5 friendship".

The creator's a dink, but the game's so good I'll look past that.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 28, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Phlegmish posted:

Simplified space Dwarf Fortress with a decent UI

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Simplified space Dwarf Fortress with a decent UI

I mean, there is no game that can be as complex as Dwarf Fortress, ever.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a_good_username posted:

I haven't finished it yet but Painscreek Killings advertises itself as exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

a_good_username posted:

80 Days. Great game.